Rock n' Roll HOF Nominations

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Rock n' Roll HOF Nominations

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:05 am

A few worthy picks... better'n the last couple years anyway. Inducting GnR has endless possibilities for comedy depending on who shows up. I would guess The Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys and The Cure will get in which should make for a decent live show.:

The Cure
Guns n' Roses
Heart
Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
Erik B and Rakim
The Spinners
The Faces
Freddy King
Rufus and Chaka Khan
The Beastie Boys
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Laura Nyro
War
Donovan

JOEinPHX

Re: Rock n' Roll HOF Nominations

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 pm

The Cure
Guns n' Roses
Heart
Erik B and Rakim not rock n roll
The Spinners
The Faces
Freddy King
Rufus and Chaka Khan not rock n roll
The Beastie Boys
Laura Nyro
War
Donovan

Essence_Smith

#3 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:The Cure
Guns n' Roses
Heart
Erik B and Rakim not rock n roll
The Spinners
The Faces
Freddy King
Rufus and Chaka Khan not rock n roll
The Beastie Boys
Laura Nyro
War
Donovan
:bs:
@not rock n roll... Run DMC is in there along with Sly and the Family Stone, Grandmaster Flash and a host of people who aren't typically looked at as ROCK artists...the Beastie Boys aren't necessarily rock either...and at the end of the day who fuckin cares?
Last edited by Essence_Smith on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Pandemonium wrote:A few worthy picks... better'n the last couple years anyway. Inducting GnR has endless possibilities for comedy depending on who shows up. I would guess The Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys and The Cure will get in which should make for a decent live show.:
that would be a show i would see but unfortunately there is no way i am going to cleveland

Essence_Smith

#5 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:08 pm

As it turns out a LOT of em aren't really ROCK artists in the sense that people think of nowadays:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ro ... _inductees

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:24 pm

it's kind of annoying that so many deserving artists from the 50s and 60s, who invented rock n roll and should be in the rock hall, still aren't, meanwhile rap artists from the 80s are being inducted.

Maybe Rap should have it's own hall of fame. What is this, some sort of affirmative action?

Essence_Smith

#7 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:41 pm

The Rock N Roll HOF is BS because the people who are responsible are a handful of people who if I'm not mistaken are "journalists"...it'd be more valid imo if the people nominating and voting were artists or if artists had a say so in who got in, etc...and I hear what you're saying about certain people not being acknowledged, but that is the case with a LOT of HOF's not just rock...again its all BS imo...

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Right now the HOF is displaying Lady Gaga's meat dress.

Meanwhile Sly Stone is living in a van down by the river.

Something is wrong with those people.

Essence_Smith

#9 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Something is wrong with SLY...that man had a good deal of money and did a crapload of drugs and he only has himself to blame for his misfortunes...

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:19 pm

i'm just saying, maybe they could let him park his van inside the HOF

They had Janis Joplin's porsche there last time i visited.

They'd get 2 things for the price of 1.

Matz

#11 Post by Matz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Right now the HOF is displaying Lady Gaga's meat dress.

Meanwhile Sly Stone is living in a van down by the river.

Something is wrong with those people.
:lol:

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:The Rock N Roll HOF is BS because the people who are responsible are a handful of people who if I'm not mistaken are "journalists"...it'd be more valid imo if the people nominating and voting were artists or if artists had a say so in who got in, etc...and I hear what you're saying about certain people not being acknowledged, but that is the case with a LOT of HOF's not just rock...again its all BS imo...
The RnR HoF is an elitist joke and I think maybe The Sex Pistols are the only band that got it. When you have assholes like Dave Marsh and Jann Wenner controlling the process and doing various record companies' bidding, fairness and objectivity go right out the window. It's never a coincidence that a major band has a big reunion or new tour the year they "happen" to get nominated. The only worthwhile thing about it is the soap opera nonsense that sometimes goes with the induction ceremony.

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:15 am

Pandemonium wrote: The only worthwhile thing about it is the soap opera nonsense that sometimes goes with the induction ceremony.
Like Blondie. :lol:

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:53 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: The only worthwhile thing about it is the soap opera nonsense that sometimes goes with the induction ceremony.
My favorite moment was when Creedence Clearwater Revival was inducted. John Fogerty had a long standing beef with the rest of the band (who were touring as CCR Revisited or some such among other things) and when it was time for them to play live, Fogerty refused to let the other band members play onstage with him and used the house band (which admittedly featured a great cast of musicians) instead while the rest of the band members stewed in the audience.

BTW, Paul Shaffer will always be a goofy shmuck.

Essence_Smith

#15 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Or like when Mike Love from the Beach Boys called BS on the whole thing during their acceptance...its on youtube, just too lazy to post it...

Essence_Smith

#16 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YBqve7SjHs

Lokus

#17 Post by Lokus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Or like when Mike Love from the Beach Boys called BS on the whole thing during their acceptance...its on youtube, just too lazy to post it...
You prompted me to look this up, I've never seen it. Pretty funny. He seems to have some beef with Mick Jagger :lol: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSAQX2uuUY

chaos

#18 Post by chaos » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 am

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/13/67608074 ... ntent=2043

The Cure, Janet Jackson, Radiohead Among Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees For 2019

December 13, 2018 8:05 AM ET
Andrew Flanagan

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announced its newest class of inductees Thursday, one year to the day after the 2018 class was announced. From 15 nominees, seven remain. Here they are, in alphabetical order:

The Cure
Def Leppard
Janet Jackson
Stevie Nicks
Radiohead
Roxy Music
The Zombies

It was Def Leppard, Roxy Music and Stevie Nicks' first nomination as potential inductees (though, as a member of Fleetwood Mac, Nicks is already in), The Cure and Radiohead's second, Janet Jackson's third and The Zombies' fourth. The announcement leaves fellow nominees Devo, John Prine, Kraftwerk, LL Cool J, MC5, Rage Against The Machine, Rufus & Chaka Khan and Todd Rundgren to wait for the years to come. (Still no Harry Nilsson.)

Since 1986, the Hall has added 323 inductees to its rolls; they include 220 performers, 33 "early influencers" (a category largely composed of rock and roll's African-American founding mothers and fathers, such as Lead Belly, Robert Johnson and Sister Rosetta Tharpe) and 34 non-performers (generally music-industry executives, but also songwriters, producers and instrument makers).

As with the nominees list, each year's inductees are determined by a voting group of "over 1,000" previous winners, historians and members of the music industry. Since 2012, the Hall has also included a fan vote, which has no practical mathematical effect on the outcome; the winning top five artists of the fan vote are compiled into a single ballot. That ballot is then factored into the total tally of 1,000-plus votes from the Hall's voting membership. Those members weigh factors "such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique are taken into consideration," the Hall explains of the process.

Even with that information, its nominations process remains opaque. As Jon Landau, manager of Bruce Springsteen and chair of the Hall's nominating committee — which numbers about three or four dozen — told the Times seven years ago: "We've done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent."

However, things do seem to be shifting. On the subject of whether bands like The Cure would ever make it, one anonymous insider told Billboard in 2015: "You and I will die before those groups are in the Hall of Fame."

The Induction Ceremony is planned for March 29, 2019 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, with an edited special to air on HBO in the spring.