Suspect Arrested in Golden State Killer Case After Decades

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

#1 Post by chaos » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:22 am

Wow!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/us/g ... erial.html

The Golden State Killer is thought to have killed 12 people, raped 45 people and burglarized more than 120 homes in multiple communities between 1976 and 1986
By Christine Hauser
April 25, 2018

The authorities confirmed on Wednesday that they had made an arrest in the unsolved case of a serial killer and rapist who terrorized communities in California in the 1970s and 1980s.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested on a warrant from the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department and booked early Wednesday on two counts of murder, according to Sacramento County jail records. A person familiar with the matter confirmed that Mr. DeAngelo had been arrested in connection with the case.

The Golden State Killer, also known as the East Area Rapist and the Original Night Stalker, is thought to have killed 12 people, raped 45 people and burglarized more than 120 homes in multiple communities between 1976 and 1986. His victims included women home alone, women at home with their children, and husbands and wives from Sacramento to Orange County, the authorities said.
Shelly Orio, a spokeswoman for the Sacramento County District Attorney’s office, said only that there had been a “major development” when asked to confirm local news media reports that there had been an arrest in the case.

The Sacramento district attorney, Anne Marie Schubert, and Sheriff Scott Jones will announce the development in the case at 12 p.m. local time in Sacramento, Ms. Schubert’s office said.

In June 2016, the Federal Bureau of Investigation announced in a news conference that it would offer a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the “prolific serial rapist and murderer.”

The F.B.I. said then that if the suspect was still alive, he would be between 60 and 75 years old. Investigators described him as a white male, close to six feet tall, with blond or light brown hair and an athletic build. They said he might have an interest or training in military or law enforcement techniques and the use of firearms.

An exhaustive investigation into the identity of the serial killer was documented in a book called “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark,” written by Michelle McNamara, who died in April 2016. The book was completed after her death by a journalist and researcher recruited by her husband, the comedian Patton Oswalt, and published in February.

Mr. Oswalt spoke about the reported capture on Wednesday in a video posted on Instagram. “I think you got him, Michelle,” he said.

Pandemonium

Re: Suspect Arrested in Golden State Killer Case After Decad

#2 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Not that it pertains directly to this case, but I don't understand how any criminal has ever been identified much less caught thanks to a police sketch.

clickie

#3 Post by clickie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Not that it pertains directly to this case, but I don't understand how any criminal has ever been identified much less caught thanks to a police sketch.
I think a big reason they use a sketch is to eliminate the portion of suspects.

Mescal

#4 Post by Mescal » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Not that it pertains directly to this case, but I don't understand how any criminal has ever been identified much less caught thanks to a police sketch.

Yeah, those three drawings don't look alike

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:48 pm

clickie wrote:
I think a big reason they use a sketch is to eliminate the portion of suspects.
Like this one?

clickie

#6 Post by clickie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:44 am

That was funny because he actually looks like her current boyfriend

clickie

#7 Post by clickie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 am

Miggy wouldve got a kick out of this one.

Supposed to be Tom Brady on the sketch.

chaos

#8 Post by chaos » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:12 am

MicrowavedGerbil

#9 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Unrelated but anybody from LA keeping up with the Burbank triple homicide Case? The media seem to have stopped updating.