So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
JOEinPHX

Re: So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

#51 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:05 am

creep wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Pillar Girl wrote:just saw "Horrible Bosses" ~ freaking crazy funny film, worth a watch~

http://horriblebossesmovie.warnerbros.com/dvd/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1499658/
There's some funny bits for sure, not a gut buster so far but some lines got a laugh outta me. I watched about half of this last night until my son wanted to watch friggin' "Tron" again. I'll finish it tonight.
i thought it was pretty funny. it was way better than bad teacher that i saw the next day. bad teacher was stupid.
Bad Teacher is the worst movie i have ever seen. I wanted to walk out on it.

kv

#52 Post by kv » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:47 am

great flick

Pandemonium

#53 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:38 pm

kv wrote:Image

great flick

Yeah, rented that one a month ago. Excellent old school Samurai flick.

I just watched "Bunraku" last night on a whim. It's surprisingly one of the more entertaining and stylistically bizarre looking films I've seen in some time. Basically it what you'd get mixing Sin City, The Good The Bad The Weird, Kung Fu Hustle with a liberal dose of Terry Gilliam at his craziest together in a blender and flinging the contents in the viewer's face. It's not for everyone and I can see people being put off by the look of the film.

Long story short, two loners aided by a bartender go up against "Nicolai the Woodcutter's" gang seeking revenge for past misdeeds..... in a day-glo cartoon landscap that constantly changes shape and unfolds like a pop-up book.

NYRexall

#54 Post by NYRexall » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:25 am

I heard that "Drive" movie with Ryan Gosling was supposed to be pretty good...

Can anyone confirm this?

Artemis

#55 Post by Artemis » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:44 pm

I had a fun late brunch and movie day...

Phantom of the Paradise and The Legend of Hell House

Warped

#56 Post by Warped » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:30 am

Definitely going to see "Senna".

Watched "Mystic River" yesterday. Great and unbelievable sad movie. By Clint Eastwood from 2003.

cursed male

#57 Post by cursed male » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:54 pm

The Bounty (1984)

By far the best film version of the mutiny on the Bounty story. Stars Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis, Liam Neeson, Laurence Olivier and a great score by Vangelis.

Trailer

Bandit72

#58 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:31 am

Insiduous - 5/10

creep
Site Admin

#59 Post by creep » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:42 am

not a movie but i just watched "unguarded" on espn. it's about chris herren's life. he was is a former nba player that battled drug problems. pretty fucking moving story. you should check it out.

torrent:
http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2771268/3872144/
FILM SUMMARY

Award-winning filmmaker Jonathan Hock has mastered the art of telling stories about the struggles and triumphs of American hometown heroes. Chris Herren of Fall River, Mass., was a high school basketball standout who battled the pressures of making it big from an early age. After dropping out of Boston College, Chris landed on Jerry Tarkanian's notorious Fresno State team, where players were likely to be found on both police blotters and All-American lists. Chris failed drug tests at BC and Fresno State, but he was so talented that he was drafted into the NBA anyway, ending up with the Boston Celtics. But at the moment he was realizing his childhood dream of becoming a star for the home team, Chris was falling in a 10-year-long spiral of addiction. He bounced from team to team, country to country. Ultimately, Chris, the youngest and most talented of three generations of local heroes, has found redemption and personal fulfillment through the game, but only after it led him literally around the world, down a path of alcohol and drug addiction that nearly killed him.

kv

#60 Post by kv » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:45 pm

NYRexall wrote:I heard that "Drive" movie with Ryan Gosling was supposed to be pretty good...

Can anyone confirm this?
saw it the other day was an ok watch nothing special wasn't as good as i thought it would be...an ok rental i guess was like a modern day b movie lol

Jasper

#61 Post by Jasper » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Finally got around to watching this a couple of months ago. It definitely lived up to my expectations. Very good documentary. Check it out.

Larry B.

#62 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Today I saw 2/5 of 'Lost in Translation'. Pretty boring. The one good thing was the painfully beautiful Scarlett.

creep
Site Admin

#63 Post by creep » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:06 pm

anyone else have any movies that they have seen less than half of that want to give us a review? :conf:

i saw about 3 minutes of avatar and i give it a 1/5.

perkana

#64 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:10 pm

I didn't see Captain America, not even the trailer, but I'm sure it sucks...
Btw, I hate watching trailers and realizing that they are actually way better than watching the film. Usually they spoil it for me, but I've seen a couple that are better. Can't think of any right now...

Artemis

#65 Post by Artemis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:19 pm

I haven't seen it but a new one that's out now Martha Marcy May Marlene with Elizabeth Olsen(the Olsen twins' younger sister) is supposed to be very good. She plays a young girl who escapes a cult and crashes with her sister. The performance according to the reviews is "this year's best breakout performance."

Martha Marcy May Marlene
CULT APPEAL
BY NORMAN WILNER
Sundance went wild for Sean Durkin’s intense, actorly study of a young woman named Martha (Elizabeth Olsen, better known as the younger sister of Mary-Kate and Ashley), who flees a cult and crashes with her sister (Sarah Paulson) and her new husband (Hugh Dancy), who haven’t the slightest idea how to help her through her decompression.

The narrative shifts fluidly between Martha’s shaky recovery and flashbacks to her time away, dominated by a pitch-perfect John Hawkes (Winter’s Bone), whose power is intriguingly at odds with his scraggly, skinny carriage. That’s part of the character’s appeal; he doesn’t appear the least bit threatening, until he turns on you.

Durkin confidently escalates the psychological tension, easing visual elements into the frame to trigger Martha’s tangled memories. The time-shifting reminds me of Atom Egoyan’s jumbled narratives, but Martha Marcy May Marlene has a cleaner, clearer and more chronologically ordered take on where it’s going, anchored by Olsen’s wide-open performance as a lost young woman trying to figure out who she’s supposed to be.

The ending will piss off a lot of people, but I think it’s perfect.
Last edited by Artemis on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artemis

#66 Post by Artemis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Larry B. wrote:Today I saw 2/5 of 'Lost in Translation'. Pretty boring. The one good thing was the painfully beautiful Scarlett.
I really liked that movie. Was it Bill Murray's character that put you off?

Artemis

#67 Post by Artemis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:40 pm

The latest Pedro Almodovar looks pretty good too. La piel que habito/The Skin I Live In.

Larry B.

#68 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Artemis wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Today I saw 2/5 of 'Lost in Translation'. Pretty boring. The one good thing was the painfully beautiful Scarlett.
I really liked that movie. Was it Bill Murray's character that put you off?
I just never got into the story at all. I thought Murray's character was very funny, actually. Loved his scenes with the commercial director and the photo shoot. But after the whole deal when he and Scarlett go to a party... I don't know, it kinda diluted for me. So I just did some FF and saw that they kissed, and The End. :noclue:

Matz

#69 Post by Matz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:31 pm

I think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Incredibly boring and when they attempt to be funny at times they fail miserably. It's just an embarrassing mess. I'll never ever understand why so many people love it and why it won awards and stuff.

Jasper

#70 Post by Jasper » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Lost in Translation is a great flick. No surprise that Larry dislikes it, nor that he's willing to judge it on 2/5ths watched.

Matz is just upset that there were no electric guitar riffs involved. :lol:

kv

#71 Post by kv » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:13 pm

i like it a lot as well :noclue:

perkana

#72 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Artemis wrote:The latest Pedro Almodovar looks pretty good too. La piel que habito/The Skin I Live In.

I want to see this one too!! and the Puss in Boots, he's so cute

Mescal

#73 Post by Mescal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Artemis wrote:I haven't seen it but a new one that's out now Martha Marcy May Marlene with Elizabeth Olsen(the Olsen twins' younger sister) is supposed to be very good. She plays a young girl who escapes a cult and crashes with her sister. The performance according to the reviews is "this year's best breakout performance."

Martha Marcy May Marlene
CULT APPEAL
BY NORMAN WILNER
Sundance went wild for Sean Durkin’s intense, actorly study of a young woman named Martha (Elizabeth Olsen, better known as the younger sister of Mary-Kate and Ashley), who flees a cult and crashes with her sister (Sarah Paulson) and her new husband (Hugh Dancy), who haven’t the slightest idea how to help her through her decompression.

The narrative shifts fluidly between Martha’s shaky recovery and flashbacks to her time away, dominated by a pitch-perfect John Hawkes (Winter’s Bone), whose power is intriguingly at odds with his scraggly, skinny carriage. That’s part of the character’s appeal; he doesn’t appear the least bit threatening, until he turns on you.

Durkin confidently escalates the psychological tension, easing visual elements into the frame to trigger Martha’s tangled memories. The time-shifting reminds me of Atom Egoyan’s jumbled narratives, but Martha Marcy May Marlene has a cleaner, clearer and more chronologically ordered take on where it’s going, anchored by Olsen’s wide-open performance as a lost young woman trying to figure out who she’s supposed to be.

The ending will piss off a lot of people, but I think it’s perfect.

This looks kinda cool, even if I couldn't stand the Olson Twins.

She doesn't look like an Olson Twin anymore.

Didn't Sinep used to date her?

creep
Site Admin

#74 Post by creep » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:05 am

Mescal wrote:
This looks kinda cool, even if I couldn't stand the Olson Twins.

She doesn't look like an Olson Twin anymore.

Didn't Sinep used to date her?
she isn't an olson twin. she is an olson twin sister. i'm sure sinep dated her too.

Mescal

#75 Post by Mescal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:34 am

Cool, Sinep is my hero.

Is there some place where I can download that movie? Long time since I downloaded a movie, and it's not on demonoid.