So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
nausearockpig

Re: So, uh, seen any good movies lately?

#126 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:37 pm

I started watching Black Swan but got bored in the first five minutes. I will try to give it 30 mins next time.. :lolol:

JOEinPHX

#127 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:54 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I started watching Black Swan but got bored in the first five minutes. I will try to give it 30 mins next time.. :lolol:
You can download the 3 minute scene where Mila goes down on Natalie.

From what i've heard, that's the only part worth watching anyway.

nausearockpig

#128 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:I started watching Black Swan but got bored in the first five minutes. I will try to give it 30 mins next time.. :lolol:
You can download the 3 minute scene where Mila goes down on Natalie.

From what i've heard, that's the only part worth watching anyway.
gold

chaos

#129 Post by chaos » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:09 pm

creep wrote: :lolol: that's the thing...he was convicted and he did not pay. that is my issue with him. if he had served his time then i would have no problem with him being a filmmaker. i don't care how tough life was growing up...he was my age (43) and he fucked a 13yr old girl.
Didn't he go to a mental institution for a brief period as part of a plea bargain agreement, but the judge didn't want to follow through with whatever was agreed upon? This does not dismiss the fact that he fled the country, but I think his councel provided some bad advice and suggested that he should.

It is disturbing - especially at age 43 - that he did not think it was contemptible to have had sex with someone so young.

nausearockpig

#130 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 pm

shoot the cunt. that way he fiddles with no more kids.

Hype

#131 Post by Hype » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:28 pm

creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
creep wrote:
Matz wrote: I think it could be fair to say that he's paid his debt for what he did with that girl. He's had to live with that image for a lot of years now and will always to live with it. Must be a pretty fucked up situation
:lolol: that's the thing...he was convicted and he did not pay. that is my issue with him. if he had served his time then i would have no problem with him being a filmmaker. i don't care how tough life was growing up...he was my age (43) and he fucked a 13yr old girl.
You subscribe to a punitive model of justice, then. I find that interesting.
It's interesting that you find that interesting.

It's not really surprising since the American justice system is rooted in a punitive model and approaches crime that way.
i'm glad everyone finds it so interesting.

so who did a worse thing?

woody allen or polanski?
Polanski. People just don't like Woody because they're all anti-semites. :lol:

Mescal

#132 Post by Mescal » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:00 am

I saw Toast yesterday. Something about a British Chef. Not that good really.

I saw little miss Sunshine too. Which was meh, but the end was kinda funny.

So, no, haven't really seen any good movies lately.

pandarve666

#133 Post by pandarve666 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:12 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEhkTxs3_E[/youtube]

I saw this movie last weekend and it really kicked ass. If you like Alien or Event Horizon, you will also love this. Scary and brutal!

:thumb:

nausearockpig

#134 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:08 pm

pandarve666 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEhkTxs3_E[/youtube]

I saw this movie last weekend and it really kicked ass. If you like Alien or Event Horizon, you will also love this. Scary and brutal!

that trailer looked pretty cool.. will check it out..

pandarve666

#135 Post by pandarve666 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
pandarve666 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEhkTxs3_E[/youtube]

that trailer looked pretty cool.. will check it out..

Yeahn you really should. The movie itself is much better looking than the trailer. They are not giving anything away in th trailer.

But why am not seeing the trailer itself here, what am I doing wrong?

ellis

#136 Post by ellis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:32 am

I saw Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo about a week ago. There's a few disturbing scenes but the movie is really good.
I've never read the book or any of the Millennium series.

nausearockpig

#137 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:19 pm

ellis wrote:I saw Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo about a week ago. There's a few disturbing scenes but the movie is really good.
which version of the movie, the original one or the US remake (i dunno how long the remake has been out - or if it's still in production so that might be a dumb question)?

my wife loved those movies so I bought her the books :thumb:

Pandemonium

#138 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
ellis wrote:I saw Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo about a week ago. There's a few disturbing scenes but the movie is really good.
which version of the movie, the original one or the US remake (i dunno how long the remake has been out - or if it's still in production so that might be a dumb question)?

The Hollywood remake directed by David Fincher (The Game, Se7en, Social Network, etc) has been out since just before Christmas and badly flopped at the box office. I didn't even get a chance to see it as it's already out of most theaters. It's a big question mark if the succeeding two movies will now be remade or not.

On a related note, I just got the 3 movie "Extended Versions" box set of the original trilogy on Blu-ray today from Amazon. Looking forward to watching them again (originally saw them last year on dvd on a crappy LCD tv while holed up in a hotel for 3 months).

perkana

#139 Post by perkana » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 am

oh fuck I hope so...I watched the first Swedish movie before reading the book and I didn't understand some bits. Just by watching the trailer I really think the US remake is better (looks like they covered more details) and finally they picked someone who could play Blomqvist. No offense, the Swedish actor looks like he's very famous and a good one, but he just didn't satisfy me.

Artemis

#140 Post by Artemis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:22 am

perkana wrote:oh fuck I hope so...I watched the first Swedish movie before reading the book and I didn't understand some bits. Just by watching the trailer I really think the US remake is better (looks like they covered more details) and finally they picked someone who could play Blomqvist. No offense, the Swedish actor looks like he's very famous and a good one, but he just didn't satisfy me.
yeah the swedish actor they cast for Blomquist was a surprise, for sure. in the book he was good looking and a ladyies man. that was actually a fairly big thing about his character which was not conveyed by that swedish actor. i read the books first and was not that impressed with the movie. it started off pretty slow but it did pick up, and they did do a good job with that scene with the rapist. the actor they cast as Lisbeth was very good I thought. only thing, she was a little too muscular. in the book you get the impression she is small and petite, but can kick ass.

ellis

#141 Post by ellis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:58 am

nausearockpig wrote:

US version. It was close to 3 hrs long.

perkana

#142 Post by perkana » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 am

Artemis wrote:
perkana wrote:oh fuck I hope so...I watched the first Swedish movie before reading the book and I didn't understand some bits. Just by watching the trailer I really think the US remake is better (looks like they covered more details) and finally they picked someone who could play Blomqvist. No offense, the Swedish actor looks like he's very famous and a good one, but he just didn't satisfy me.
yeah the swedish actor they cast for Blomquist was a surprise, for sure. in the book he was good looking and a ladyies man. that was actually a fairly big thing about his character which was not conveyed by that swedish actor. i read the books first and was not that impressed with the movie. it started off pretty slow but it did pick up, and they did do a good job with that scene with the rapist. the actor they cast as Lisbeth was very good I thought. only thing, she was a little too muscular. in the book you get the impression she is small and petite, but can kick ass.
That's what I thought too!! He wasn't a ladiesman at all, with that mole...Yup, movie was very slow at first. Well for Swedish standards, I think she was quite petite. I don't know if you've seen the second one but that one was way too boring for me. Fell asleep both times I watched it. The last one was a bit better. Read on Vanity Fair that Larsson's wife/partner wasn't happy about the movies either.

Matz

#143 Post by Matz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 am

perkana wrote:Well for Swedish standards, I think she was quite petite.
:lol: what does that mean?! You think Sweden is full off testosterone fueled muscular women that arm wrestle all day long? It isn't Sweden probably has the highest concentration of really beautiful women of any country in the world.

Artemis

#144 Post by Artemis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:20 am

Matz wrote:
:lol: what does that mean?! You think Sweden is full off testosterone fueled muscular women that arm wrestle all day long? It isn't Sweden probably has the highest concentration of really beautiful women of any country in the world.
:lol:

well, i think all the men in sweden are masseurs named 'Sven'.Image

perkana

#145 Post by perkana » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:47 am

Matz wrote:
:lol:
Not muscular, just tall...I come from the land of midgets, so anything taller than 5'5" is huge for me
And not just women, maybe not in the same proportion, but there are a lot of Swedes who are gorgeous.

Matz

#146 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:38 pm

ah, I see, no problem then :bigrin:

ant

#147 Post by ant » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Finally got around to seeing 'Tree of Life'. Not a fan. Too much 2001 rip off and poorly done. When that dinosaur was nice to the weaker one I was laughing. Cut back to Sean Penn sulking on an elevator. I love surrealism in all forms but this was nonsense. Should've just stuck with the 50's storyline.

chaos

#148 Post by chaos » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm

ant wrote:Finally got around to seeing 'Tree of Life'. Not a fan. Too much 2001 rip off and poorly done. When that dinosaur was nice to the weaker one I was laughing. Cut back to Sean Penn sulking on an elevator. I love surrealism in all forms but this was nonsense. Should've just stuck with the 50's storyline.
Your comments reminded me of portions of two reviews I read:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/mo ... wanted=all
Mr. Malick might have been well advised to leave out the dinosaurs and the trip to the afterlife and given us a delicate chronicle of a young man’s struggle with his father and himself, set against a backdrop of rapid social change.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jul ... ife-review
At the premiere of Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, which I reviewed at the Cannes film festival in May, the movie's final moments were almost drowned out by the booing, jeering and giggling in the auditorium, a response widely developed into a note of balanced and wearily tolerant dismissal in print. People would repeatedly reproach me for my own laudatory notice; this film, they said, was pretentious, boring and – most culpably of all – Christian. Didn't I realise, they asked, that Malick was a Christian?
Overall, both reviewers find the film praiseworthy (although one reviewer doesn't so much praise the film as he does the filmmaker's ambition).

I wanted to like this movie, but I almost stopped watching the DVD after the first 20-25 minutes. I stuck it out and it got better. I could see where/what the filmmaker was trying to go/do, but it just didn't work.

wally

#149 Post by wally » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:13 am

I saw The Devil Inside over the weekend. I enjoyed it. It's an exorcism flick, you know what you're getting.
It seemed many in the theater were put off by the ending, I was not.

creep
Site Admin

#150 Post by creep » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:40 pm

speaking of movies i was referred by a maritime school that i went to to be in a new tom hanks movie as a crewmen on a ship. i have worked on ships before and they were looking for mariners. i have would have one line :jasper:

hopefully i can swing this with work.

the movie is about that captain that was captured by pirates and was rescued when the pirates were shot by the navy while being towed in a raft. i'm sure most of you remember.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109/

i think i have the line down :confused: