creep wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:20 am
Larry B. wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:09 am
I was in Turkey
:hs:

vacation????

Sounds awesome. :rockon:

I have always wanted to go. Turkey, Lebanon / Israel but would need to get a second passport.

What did you do/see there?

Larry B.

Re: Covid19 Positive

#23 Post by Larry B. » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:04 am

creep wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:20 am
Larry B. wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:09 am
I was in Turkey
:hs:

vacation????
Yeah! We went for about two weeks and visited Istanbul, Pamukkale and Urfa (so we could visit Gobekli Tepe.)

It was really, really good. So much better than what I expected. I think it was the first time that I visited a place that much different from what I’m used to. The language, the religion, the culture... just everything. Obviously, my first time in Asia and my first visit to a Muslim country.

Visiting Gobekli Tepe was a bit of a dream come true. It’s the oldest ‘temple’ ever found, from about 10,000 BC.

And just being there in Mesopotamia felt odd.

I think it was also the first time I was in a country that was currently at war, and when we were in Urfa we were just a few miles away from the conflict zone in Syria.

And Istanbul is otherwordly. I wish we could’ve stayed for longer.

mockbee

Re: Covid19 Positive

#24 Post by mockbee » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 am

Wooow.....

Dedication to get so far southeast to Urfa. Looks like it would be beautiful by the way.... I would never have the guts to do that. You're less than 100 miles from Raqqa! :scared:
I suppose that's when it helps to be brown.... :lol:
Did you see many Western white people around?

My mom was in Armenia earlier last year and was going to go to Mt Ararat in Turkey (I was not happy about that), but didnt because the Russians blocked them, less of an ISIS problem up there. :tiphat:

Muslim countries are fascinating for sure. Very different like you say. I absolutely love their sense of design and architecture.

I understand your passion to see super old places in the middle of nowhere. It took me half a week to get to/from Karakorum (Mongol seat of power 13th C) and it is just a couple stuppas and a small stone turtle in the ground. It was soooo worth it. :nod:

Did you fly to each of your locations?
.........or bus? :bday: :rockon:

Sounds like a great trip. Would be really neat to see those pools in Pammukale.... :thumb:

Maybe I can go with Creep when we can travel again... :noclue: :cool: