Eye floaters

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
chaos

Eye floaters

#1 Post by chaos » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm

Does anyone experience having these freaky things?

I had an abrupt introduction with them on Wed. They started out early in the day as small gray bubbles here and there in my right eye. Then the bubbles got furry. My husband said they were eye floaters. Around 11 p.m. I started seeing huge, black, 3d squiggly things. I was terrified. I thought I was hallucinating. It lasted for about 15 minutes.

The next morning I saw a few black dots and a few small squiggly lines that looked like ink when it hits water. Fortunately I was able to see an eye doctor Thur afternoon. There was a hole in my retina that happened near a blood vessel so there was a small hemorrhage. (What I was seeing on Wed night was blood.) I went to another doctor on Friday who was able to laser to hole. I was in no pain and, if you look at my eye you would never know anything had happened.

I realize I am actually dealing with two separate issues: floaters (which in and of themselves are normal) and the hole in my retina. I feel very fortunate that I was able to get in right away to see the doctors and that I have insurance.

I see an occasional small floater here and there when I am in a bright room or look at a bright computer screen. I go back for a follow-up in month.

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Eye floaters

#2 Post by Hokahey » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:12 pm

Jaysus

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:38 pm

i've had floaters for years. i don't really notice them unless i look for them. i also get migraines (usually without the headache) where i get bright spots that are like floaters but not the same. usually food and bright lights will cause the migraines. weird stuff

drwintercreeper

#4 Post by drwintercreeper » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:32 pm

i have them, particularly in my right eye. just part of getting older. i notice it more when i get up from sitting. the eye ball is mostly liquid i think and sudden movement can kind of josh the floaters that seem suspended (kind of like bubbles in hand sanitizer... except its clumps of stuff that cast shadows).

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:00 am

I haven't experienced eye floaters. That sounds scary! I'm glad you were able to get treatment so quickly, chaos. :gh:

With prompt treatment, can eye floaters be eliminated or is it something you will have for the rest of your life now?

I wear glasses full time and check my eyes annually. I've done the retinal imaging twice in the last three years. I'm at a higher risk of developing macular degeneration(mother has it in both eyes), which is why I get checked out every year.

clickie

#6 Post by clickie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:46 am

My dad has those but it didn't start happening until he was older.

SR

#7 Post by SR » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:53 pm

I've had them, but only in response to lethal levels of alcohol and the subsequent detox. Mine took the form of multi colored silly stings on crack occupying about the outer 1/3 of the sphere of vision, and only in the dark.

The bubbles I experience on the semi reg. I always attributed to age. :noclue:

Glad you're on the mend.

chaos

#8 Post by chaos » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:36 am

Everything has calmed down for the most part. At least I'm not see the dark spots/lines anymore.

Depending on the light, whenever I look down I see what looks like a little puff of white smoke out of the corner of my right eye. It's not bad but every now and then it still startles me.

It's hard to believe how people can easily adjust to floaters.

The decline over the hill has begun . . . :oldtimer: :lol:

clickie

#9 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:48 pm

It's kind of similar to tinnitus in a a way. I wonder how people get used to that. I can't understand how bands like the rolling stones or metallica aren't completely deaf from touring so much.

clickie

#10 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 pm

It goes back to the age old question, what would rather be blind or deaf?
Then I think about Helen Keller and my mind is blown how much she accomplished

chaos

#11 Post by chaos » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:39 am

clickie wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:48 pm
It's kind of similar to tinnitus in a a way. I wonder how people get used to that.
My husband has tinnitus. It has gotten progressively worse over the last ten tears. Depending on the day, he may hear what sounds like crickets, steam/hissing, and/or ringing. Occasionally he may hear all three at once. Nevertheless, while the volume and intensity of the various sounds fluctuates, he always hears something.

kv

#12 Post by kv » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:47 am

Ya it sucks...you can get used to kinda pushing it away and hearing around it if that makes sense...but ya always fucking there...I feel incredible fortunate that mine has actually got a little better over the last decade as I'm not on real drums as much these days as I am on roland's which the snare and cymbol noise is no where near as loud...and I have really cut down on going to see bands as much and always wear ear protection when I do now (even though it sucks)....I had figured it would be way worse by now so very happy it's not lol....for me I get the blowing air through your teeth sound combined with ringing 24/7/365

it's so fun!...don't wear ear protection kiddies!

sinep

#13 Post by sinep » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm

I have one... only in certain light. you get used to it.

clickie

#14 Post by clickie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:23 am

Just one? You would think they could surgically remove it. Anyway I had a few but they went away over time.