Autodidacticism

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Autodidacticism

#1 Post by SR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:21 am

Any here? If so, in what? Any particular ones you admire? I am finding I am really fucking bored, so I looked up JD curriculums. 1st year is criminal, civil, constitutional, tort...etc. I ordered some books and intend to devote a block of time each week to them.

chaos

Re: Autodidacticism

#2 Post by chaos » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:57 am

FYI - There are free online course sites that you can either stream or listen to that may be worth your while:

https://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

https://oyc.yale.edu/courses

I subscribe to Open Courses Plus, which has now rebranded itself as Wondrium. I stream it for $10 per month (billed quarterly):

https://www.wondrium.com

:know:

SR

#3 Post by SR » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:15 am

These look great, thanks. Though they might be a distraction as there is so much in the way of lit. Which one's have you taken?

chaos

#4 Post by chaos » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:58 am

SR wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:15 am
Which one's have you taken?
I wouldn't say taken taken so much as watched. Keep in mind that you do not need to register for anything and you can bounce in and out of the sessions. You don't turn in papers (or at least you couldn't when I watched.) I realize OYC directs you to their home page to enroll in current courses, but I think those are courses where you have the option to purchase a certificate and/or turn in work. I know nothing about those types of courses. I see that American Contract Law starts on June 27th and it states you can enroll for free. I assume that you can watch the videos whenever you want.

Over ten years ago, on Open Yale Courses, I watched Milton - ENGL 220 with John Rogers, and Intro to the Old Testament - RLST 145 with Christine Hayes. I thought both Rogers and Hayes were particularly good instructors. These are the two courses I and watched from beginning to end. I also liked the Early Middle Ages (HIST 210) and Early Modern England (HIST 251).

Each lecture itself is broken down into palatable sections so you can zero in on particular areas of interest within one course or even with one particular lecture. It is like watching a youtube video. So I have moved around A LOT on the Yale site.

I spend a lot of time watching Wondrium (or what was Open Courses Plus up until a few weeks ago) on my TV. In the literature category I've watched William Shakespeare: Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies.
SR wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:15 am
Though they might be a distraction as there is so much in the way of lit.
Yes, but much of what is online is geared toward undergraduates. I like to fall down rabbit holes and look at stuff outside of my discipline.

On Wondrium there are several beginner law courses https://www.wondrium.com/catalogsearch/ ... tid=&q=law

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:50 am

Wondrium use to be Great Courses Plus (I referred to it as Open Courses Plus).

SR

#6 Post by SR » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:17 am

Thanks, I'll be looking into this. I have watched some vids of lectures in the past and remember them as interesting and informative. Not in the spirit of autodidacticism, I have always found
the interaction between proffs/instructors (and sometimes fellow students) to be my best way to learn and the most enjoyable. I did manage to convince a proff to let me audit a class in a Masters program I eventually enrolled in. This included my ability to participate in classes and have my work graded.

As to the Shakes class, which of the 36 were taught? 3 of each?

I just got my Constitutional Law book. I think that in conjunction with some videos will gauge my interest/ability to soldier forward to the next :lol:

chaos

#7 Post by chaos » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:53 am

SR wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:17 am

?

All classes are taught by professors. It is like auditing a class/sitting in a lecture.

The Shakespeare course I referred to has 36 lectures. Here is the page that tells you the content of each lecture in the course. https://www.wondrium.com/william-shakes ... -tragedies

SR

#8 Post by SR » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:15 am

chaos wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:53 am
SR wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:17 am

?

All classes are taught by professors. It is like auditing a class/sitting in a lecture.

The Shakespeare course I referred to has 36 lectures. Here is the page that tells you the content of each lecture in the course. https://www.wondrium.com/william-shakes ... -tragedies
I understand all are proffs. What I was saying is that these are different in that there is no class interaction or questions like when I audited a class.

There are 12 of each...tragedies, comedies, and histories. Did they do 1 play each for the 36 lectures?

chaos

#9 Post by chaos » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:40 am

No. Each lecture in that class is not devoted to one specific play.

(As you know, there is debate to the actual number of plays written.)

SR

#10 Post by SR » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:03 pm

I am...and what he wrote, co-wrote, or partially wrote (contributed to, or took over as an apprentice). In this century and the last, the two critics who stand out to me are Greenblatt and Bloom. Bloom hated the Henry plays, Titus, and Verona. There is much controversy on Titus, but I read it as a farce and found it to be hilarious. One of my Shakes proffs called me insane (for this and that I had the 3 sisters as the protag in Macbeth), so I may be off a bit (he and I became good friends after I graduated). Years ago, I read King's Misery and The Tommyknockers and found those funny too. :noclue: