NBA

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: NBA

#6676 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:40 am

Raptors looked good last night. I know it's only preseason but with so many new guys and a new coach, I wasn't really sure what to expect.

I'm really looking forward to the game next Saturday against Philly. Especially in light of the latest drama over there- the Nick Nurse burner phone.

I think it's fake, but made me laugh. I wonder if NN will get booed in TOR.

This is copy of post from Reddit:
He called GTJ and Flynn unfixable. Says the Raptors or Nets will be last in the division this year. He had an interesting tweet about swapping Harden for FVV lol. Criticizing Masai for firing two coach of the years. A comment saying Harden is lazy. Nick was very anti GTJ. Potential burner made a comment that it's possible for GTJ stay now cause Nurse was gone lol

The potential burner account suggested that he did not like how 'laid back' Siakam, Barnes, OG, and Gary are and that he didn't believe they got 'fired up' enough. Was very high on how FVV carries himself and his 'intensity' Said that he wanted 'someone' to stay, and didn't mention who, but suggests it was probably FVV.

I'm a fan of Fred but this one made me laugh: "Said the team was selfish but it wasn't Fred's fault, blamed GTJ more. Said the team couldn't survive how selfish GTJ is lol (which is funny considering the narrative that Nurse never held FVV accountable lol)

The account had switched from Toronto related comments, and serious Nick Nurse defending, including posts up to last week, defending the Sixers now. (The timelines added up to when Nurse left Toronto lol) now advocating for a Harden trade to Houston to get FVV to Philadelphia lol

Finally, Nick said Scottie's conditioning wasn't good last year, but also said that Scottie Barnes is the only good part of the Raptors future (maybe not really high on Gradey or OG)

Account is deleted now, though.

Sorry, not really a TL;DR, the whole thing is kind of interesting and how things changed over time.

someguy

#6677 Post by someguy » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:28 am

First I’ve heard of the burner account- if true not out first rodeo with that lol

SR

#6678 Post by SR » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:27 am

It's on

thoreau

#6679 Post by thoreau » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:23 am

Wow, first I'm seeing the burner account story. Haha, the season is upon us!

SR

#6680 Post by SR » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:49 am

We're going undefeated this year. :aoa:

Artemis

#6681 Post by Artemis » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:12 pm

SR wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:49 am
We're going undefeated this year. :aoa:
:lol: We shall see. I caught some highlights from thr Cs game- KP looking good!

I don't have any bold predictions for the Raptors other than we are not winning it all. Too soon say how this team will do.I do like that we are even more under the radar than usual this year... :lol: Our guys definitely have more chemistry, hope coach Darko can help to make it stuck all season.

Artemis

#6682 Post by Artemis » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:07 pm

My first live game of the season, went to the game last night Raps vs 76ers... we lost.
Nick Nurse got a really nice welcome from the fans- I didn't expect anything less. It was weird to see him as the coach of the opposing team, but I'm happy for him; he's in a good situation now. After 10 years, change is good.

The Embid+Maxey duo is deadly- hope JOel stays healthy.
Tobias Harris looked good afte the 2nd.
Oh, and Kelly Oubre Jr is pretty good too.(I must say, a very attractive young man.)

My guys on the other hand, need some work. We were on a back-to-back and it's only game 3, but still. We need some more "pieces" if we're going to move on beyond the play-in stage.
Happy for Gradey Dick, he got his first NBA point last night. That kid if going to be REALLY good!

My next game is the Lakers in April, but I hope to get some tix for a couple more games before then.

Juana

#6683 Post by Juana » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:51 am

Blazers and Lakers and Spurs

clickie

#6684 Post by clickie » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:15 am

This new in-season tournament experiment seems like a bunch of nonsense. The message and fact that the players need even more money to play and care is kind of a joke, the fans are secondary.

SR

#6685 Post by SR » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:12 am

I still don't fully understand this tourney

thoreau

#6686 Post by thoreau » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:37 pm

Glad you got to go to a game already this season, Artemis!

thoreau

#6687 Post by thoreau » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:42 pm

SR wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:12 am
I still don't fully understand this tourney
I still feels very very gimmicky.

I think they need to add a more viable incentive. A couple of ideas that I thought were really good were:

1. The tourney champion gets a guaranteed spot in the play-in, regardless of their season record (I think this is absolutely do-able)
2. The tourney champion gets selected as host city of the All-Star Weekend within a certain amount of time guaranteed (3 years or so) -- While I like the idea, I don't think the league would allow this. There are smaller markets that will never get chosen for that weekend.

thoreau

#6688 Post by thoreau » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:21 am

https://theathletic.com/5063620/2023/11 ... inquiries/

The Big Three era in Chicago looks to be coming to an end thankfully. They need to tear it down while they still can. Wonder where Zach, and the others eventually, will end up.

thoreau

#6689 Post by thoreau » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:22 pm

https://streamable.com/58l934

What say you, Artemis? I would be very interested to see what they'd offer.

Artemis

#6690 Post by Artemis » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:31 am

thoreau wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:22 pm

Well, we have a few players who are on the last year of their contracts- Siakam, OG, Achiuwa. Seems like Scottie is going to be the main guy and Siakam is on the way out- no talk of renewing his contract.

The RAptors could use more shooting, so I'd like ZL, but I think he's too expensive for us. Plus, I would think he'd like to go to a contending team. Maybe with a different coach, ZL would improve and become more consistent.

Since Saiakam seems ot be on the way out I'd give him + Otto Porter Jr+Achiuwa for ZL+Ayo+ a pick. :noclue:

I think I agree that Billy Donovan needs to go though.

thoreau

#6691 Post by thoreau » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:07 am

Artemis wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:31 am
thoreau wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:22 pm

Well, we have a few players who are on the last year of their contracts- Siakam, OG, Achiuwa. Seems like Scottie is going to be the main guy and Siakam is on the way out- no talk of renewing his contract.

The RAptors could use more shooting, so I'd like ZL, but I think he's too expensive for us. Plus, I would think he'd like to go to a contending team. Maybe with a different coach, ZL would improve and become more consistent.

Since Saiakam seems ot be on the way out I'd give him + Otto Porter Jr+Achiuwa for ZL+Ayo+ a pick. :noclue:

I think I agree that Billy Donovan needs to go though.
I agree. I was scratching my head seeing what Toronto might possibly offer. Out of your big three, I could possibly see OG plus a pick or two. We've already experienced the OPJ injury train in Chicago, lol.

I think Billy needs to go too. His rotations are good awful, and he has a knack for pulling a player right as they've started cooking. It's maddening to watch.

Artemis

#6692 Post by Artemis » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:59 pm

thoreau wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:07 am

I agree. I was scratching my head seeing what Toronto might possibly offer. Out of your big three, I could possibly see OG plus a pick or two. We've already experienced the OPJ injury train in Chicago, lol.
:lol: Oh yeah, I forgot that he played for the Bulls. I hope we get rid of of him soon. I don't think he's played in more thn a dozen games since we got him last year.
I think a lot of teams want OG. We went through a couple of years where he was always injured or had personal issues but last year and this year he's been excellent with not too many missed games.

See you later... Bulls vs Raps tonight! :box:

thoreau

#6693 Post by thoreau » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:52 am

That was his common narrative for years. He gets picked up by Golden State, collects a ring, and I swear it made teams across the league forget about all injury history, lol. Feel bad for the guy with how often he is injured, but goodness.

As if there was any doubt, the better team won last night! Pascal and Chris ate Vooch's lunch all night (Vooch has fully given up at this point...). Scottie has truly returned to full form as of late. Fun watching him play.

And we're officially eliminated from the tourney! Woohoo!!!

clickie

#6694 Post by clickie » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:39 am

The Bulls have been fun to watch lately, everyone pulling in the same direction. They seem better without Zach LaVine hopefully they figure out something to do with
that bad deal they made with him over the summer. Huge mistake by the front office. One of the worst max contract signings evah! How many teams are better when they lose their highest paid star? The Bulls are. Way crisper without him and the ball moves more.

thoreau

#6695 Post by thoreau » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:22 pm

clickie wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:39 am
The Bulls have been fun to watch lately, everyone pulling in the same direction. They seem better without Zach LaVine hopefully they figure out something to do with
that bad deal they made with him over the summer. Huge mistake by the front office. One of the worst max contract signings evah! How many teams are better when they lose their highest paid star? The Bulls are. Way crisper without him and the ball moves more.
The games have been a ton of fun, no doubt, and I'll happily apologize to Coby White for the rest of the season for doubting him last year. He's evolving into what we had hoped Zach would turn into but never did.

I could honestly see Zach having to stay put for the remainder of the season if they're not willing to give him up for very little in return. His market value with his awful season start has understandably tanked. I do find it funny that a guy who didn't get a trade clause in his contract is reportedly telling the front office which teams he'd allow to be traded to :lol:

SR

#6696 Post by SR » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:29 am

:banana:

thoreau

#6697 Post by thoreau » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:01 am

SR wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:29 am
Favorite Xmas game this year :thumb:

SR

#6698 Post by SR » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:18 pm

thoreau wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:01 am
SR wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:29 am
Favorite Xmas game this year :thumb:
Mine too. That 1st q was perfect bball. I didn't mind seeing the Bucks defense in flames either. :agree:

Artemis

#6699 Post by Artemis » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:14 am

The Raptors vs Celtics game was a little strange. At the half I stopped watching because it looked like we were going to lose big. A little later I checked the score and it was the 4th quarter and Raps UP by 2-I tuned back in! It was tense and that ending where the game was over but back on again, wtf was that?? We lost twice. :lol: :nyrexall:

I have no idea what Masai Ujiri is planning to do. I read recently that for now he's observing how the new coach and new system is going and how guys are adapting or not adapting.

Artemis

#6700 Post by Artemis » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:05 pm

Artemis wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:14 am

I have no idea what Masai Ujiri is planning to do. I read recently that for now he's observing how the new coach and new system is going and how guys are adapting or not adapting.
I just read that OG is going to the Knicks along with Malachi Flynn and Precious Achiuwa! :yikes:
We're getting R.J. Barrett, Emmanuel Quickly and draft pick or picks..

Wow, was not expecting this news today.

https://www.tsn.ca/nba/report-toronto-r ... -1.2055152

(I don't usually quite myself but this news really surprised me today )