I'm about to graduate college...any advice?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pure Method

I'm about to graduate college...any advice?

#1 Post by Pure Method » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:21 pm

So I'm about to graduate college, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to meet people, how to get a job, how to pick a place to live, etc?

Right now, I am applying to law school and jobs, though I understand that neither of those options is guaranteed to come through. I'm not scared about what happens next (or IF or whatever), just curious to hear from those that have been through it before. :wave:

..oh, and if any of you are hiring, I can move anywhere! :wink:

Larry B.

Re: I'm about to graduate college...any advice?

#2 Post by Larry B. » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:34 pm

While I was finishing a diploma I took, I attended this Translation Conference that was held in a University. Many translators were there, I made a couple of acquaintances (and I'm pretty much social awkwardness embodied), and a week later I started my full-time professional translation career :bigrin:

Maybe my suggestion is a little stupid, but if you don't know anyone in the business, I'd say get some regular business cards (nothing too fancy), try to attend conferences, make small talk with a few people (don't say something like "I'm dying to work"), and at around 3/4 of the conversation slip them a card and say something like "here's my card, just in case I can be of help"), finish your conversation and move along. Also, if you give someone a card, try to not let them see you giving someone else a card, since that could make it too obvious that you went basically looking for work.

Best wishes :thumb:

(and congratulations! :bday: )

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Start looking for jobs now

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Network. The more professional contacts you make and have, the better your chances. Get a profile established on LinkedIn.com. If you can, do intern or volunteer work for a legal firm (as I assume you're going into law in some fashion?) in any capacity just to have something career-related for your resume. Speaking of which, get a professional resume writer/service (who specializes in your field) if you feel the need to help you put together a top-notch resume.

Kajicat

#5 Post by Kajicat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:52 pm

It's about who you know, not what you know...at least, that's how it worked out for me.

First job I got out of college was through a friend of mine who played on the women's soccer team. She graduated a year before me, and I knew she was doing well so I started picking her brain about her current career, and she got all super excited about getting me on-board where she worked, so a couple meetings (interviews) were set up with the boss and I got the job.

From there, I left and got the current job I have right now because of the similarities between the two. Haven't looked back since.

If you're going to be headed to law school eventually, try to work your way into a firm...maybe working in the records management department, or even an internship.

Good luck!

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:07 pm

the best way to get a job out of college is to go to your career center at school. if i remember you went to a pretty decent school. you should be able to find something.

they can help you with your resume too. in interviews, dress nice, be confident and don't say "umm" or "uhh" before answering questions like many kids do these days.

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Have 4 years passed already?? :yikes:

Congratulations, Pure Method! :bigrin: :pat: (the pat here is meant like how your grandmother might pat you for being a good boy)

If you do get a job right away or volunteer, I would suggest getting involved in company social committees, charity drives, anything that shows you are engaged is always good.

How about just taking some out time out to travel? Once you get into a career and marriage and all of that stuff, it's not so easy to take time off for long periods of time.

Kajicat

#8 Post by Kajicat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:22 pm

creep wrote:...be confident and don't say "umm" or "uhh" before answering questions like many kids do these days.
Ugh. Filler Words. Hate those. I have people who work above me who can't form sentences without an assload of filler words. It kills me. :no:

blackcoffee

#9 Post by blackcoffee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Hide behind the stone wall of academia for another 3 or 4 years. Grad school. Seriously.

MYXYLPLYX

#10 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:34 pm

blackcoffee wrote:Hide behind the stone wall of academia for another 3 or 4 years. Grad school. Seriously.

creep
Site Admin

#11 Post by creep » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:37 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
blackcoffee wrote:Hide behind the stone wall of academia for another 3 or 4 years. Grad school. Seriously.
the only way i would agree is if your parents are paying for it. if you are racking up loans this is horrible advice.

mockbee

#12 Post by mockbee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Go to California, or some other state with cheap ass in-state tuition, (City College in SF was $54 a credit last year) live a year for residency; then get a trade degree like welding, HVAC, plumbing, electonics or whatever and then either work for a while or work and go to school for something you are actually interested in.
:noclue: :banana:

cursed male

#13 Post by cursed male » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 am

Pure Method wrote:So I'm about to graduate college, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to meet people, how to get a job, how to pick a place to live, etc?

Right now, I am applying to law school and jobs, though I understand that neither of those options is guaranteed to come through. I'm not scared about what happens next (or IF or whatever), just curious to hear from those that have been through it before. :wave:

..oh, and if any of you are hiring, I can move anywhere! :wink:
Read this...

Amazon

...and (obviously) this...

Amazon

...and always remember to think positive and to believe in yourself.

Good luck (of course you yourself make your own luck)! :thumb:

PS: Don't believe everything you read.

chaos

#14 Post by chaos » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:34 pm

creep wrote:the best way to get a job out of college is to go to your career center at school.
They should be able to help you find grant and scholarship opportunities (i.e. money that you don't have to pay back). Although it can be time consuming, you can search for these via google. There are plenty of scholarship/grant lists out there specifically for law students.

http://oedb.org/scholarship/law-school
Law Student Essay Competition — $1000 to $3000 awarded each year to three undergraduate or graduate students majoring in law.

National Federation of Paralegal Associates, Inc. West Scholarship — $1500 to $3500 awarded each year to two undergraduate and graduate students majoring in law.

William S. Bullinger Scholarship — $5000 awarded each year to five undergraduate or graduate students majoring in law.

kv

#15 Post by kv » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:45 pm

TRAVEL THE WORLD FOR A YEAR WITH A BACKPACK AND A KNIFE

NO JOKE ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS DID THAT AND HE IS IN A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR FLAT IN HONG KONG NOW