Doesn't anybody care about baseball?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
intertwoven

Re: Doesn't anybody care about baseball?

#51 Post by intertwoven » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 pm

I guess this topic deserves a bump with the playoffs upon us. Anybody care THIS year? Funny thing is I've been getting back into collecting old baseball cards recently, but I don't really care about modern-day baseball and could probably only name about a dozen current players.

Allow me to dork out for a minute. So as I said, I've recently started getting back into baseball card collecting and I've decided to collect Gaylord Perry. First of all, that's a hilarious name. (Janes-related side note: do you think when Perry Farrell [Bernstein] was in school, older kids would bully him by calling him "Gaylord Perry"? :lol: or maybe "Bernstein Bear"?) Plus Gaylord's in the group I passively collect of "former Padres who are in the Hall of Fame". His first card is in 1962, and he played for many years, so that's a lot of classic years of cards to sample. And the fact that he played for so many teams over his career, never sticking around in one place too long (and the fact he was sometimes a cheat and jerk), helps there not be a lot of "diehard Gaylord Perry fans" out there, so his cards are relatively easy to come by for a typical HOFer from that era.

So yeah, trade me your Gaylord Perry baseball cards if you have any, please. Actually I'd probably be into ANY old (pre-Janes) cards and could trade you some Jane's live CDs/DVDs or something.

crater

#52 Post by crater » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm glad the Braves lost. Just not the way they did though

It's looking like Texas is going to lose too. Which I'm also happy about

intertwoven

#53 Post by intertwoven » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Sorry to hear Chipper went out like a lil' bitch (one of the dozen current players I know).

farrellgirl99

#54 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 am

I wonder where Josh Hamilton ends up. Definitely not Texas. The Rangers looked terrible last night.

I predict Yankees over Orioles in four. And Oakland over Tigers in five.

I don't give two shits about the national league.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#55 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:42 pm

I love the Cards and follow them very closely. Compared to your average fan I'm probably pretty die hard. But my love for Rams football cannot be touched by my Cards fandom. I'm excited for the division series. Cards seem to have a bit of magic about them again this year.

blackula

#56 Post by blackula » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:45 pm

hokahey wrote:I love the Cards and follow them very closely. Compared to your average fan I'm probably pretty die hard. But my love for Rams football cannot be touched by my Cards fandom. I'm excited for the division series. Cards seem to have a bit of magic about them again this year.
It must be extra satisfying making the playoffs while the Angels and Pujols are sitting home on the couch watching.

farrellgirl99

#57 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:12 am

they just played Incredible Force on a postseason commercial. cash in now honey.

creep
Site Admin

#58 Post by creep » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:21 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:they just played Incredible Force on a postseason commercial. cash in now honey.
that's pretty awesome that you don't know the correct name of the song. shows how well the album went over with long time fans. sorry to point it out but it was irresistible to me.

bad day for bay area baseball yesterday :cona:

farrellgirl99

#59 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:34 am

creep wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:they just played Incredible Force on a postseason commercial. cash in now honey.
that's pretty awesome that you don't know the correct name of the song. shows how well the album went over with long time fans. sorry to point it out but it was irresistible to me.

bad day for bay area baseball yesterday :cona:
:lol: my hangover is getting to me i guess

crater

#60 Post by crater » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm so glad that the A's put forth all that effort to make an incredible run to win their division and to have the best record during the second half of the season so they could get "home field advantage" during the playoffs, only to start the first two games of their series on the road.

Fuck you Bud Selig

MYXYLPLYX

#61 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:18 pm

intertwoven wrote:I guess this topic deserves a bump with the playoffs upon us. Anybody care THIS year? Funny thing is I've been getting back into collecting old baseball cards recently, but I don't really care about modern-day baseball and could probably only name about a dozen current players.

Allow me to dork out for a minute. So as I said, I've recently started getting back into baseball card collecting and I've decided to collect Gaylord Perry. First of all, that's a hilarious name. (Janes-related side note: do you think when Perry Farrell [Bernstein] was in school, older kids would bully him by calling him "Gaylord Perry"? :lol: or maybe "Bernstein Bear"?) Plus Gaylord's in the group I passively collect of "former Padres who are in the Hall of Fame". His first card is in 1962, and he played for many years, so that's a lot of classic years of cards to sample. And the fact that he played for so many teams over his career, never sticking around in one place too long (and the fact he was sometimes a cheat and jerk), helps there not be a lot of "diehard Gaylord Perry fans" out there, so his cards are relatively easy to come by for a typical HOFer from that era.

So yeah, trade me your Gaylord Perry baseball cards if you have any, please. Actually I'd probably be into ANY old (pre-Janes) cards and could trade you some Jane's live CDs/DVDs or something.

I've got a Gaylord Perry autographed baseball? :noclue:

farrellgirl99

#62 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm

crater wrote:I'm so glad that the A's put forth all that effort to make an incredible run to win their division and to have the best record during the second half of the season so they could get "home field advantage" during the playoffs, only to start the first two games of their series on the road.

Fuck you Bud Selig
i know! i dont know what crack he was smoking when he thought that was home field advantage

in better news, CC was fucking dominant tonight. great game :banana:

ellis

#63 Post by ellis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:49 am

"Irresistible Force" is being used on all radio promos for the Washington Nationals.

:dunce:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#64 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:13 pm

ellis wrote:"Irresistible Force" is being used on all radio promos for the Washington Nationals.

:dunce:
It's for the NLDS between Washington and St. Louis. I'd expect it to continue to be used as the playoffs continue.

ellis

#65 Post by ellis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:13 am

O's vs Yankees have some tired-ass Bruce Springstein song...

ellis

#66 Post by ellis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Cardinals are straight up butt fucking the Nats. :lol:

Crazy game...

blackula

#67 Post by blackula » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:14 pm

It's crazy how different the Orioles crowd is compared o the Yankee stadium crowd. The first 2 games were filled with orange clad fans going nuts. Tonight...complacent rich people who could give a shit. The Yankee dynasty at the end of the decade was awesome, great team, average priced seats, and fans could afford to attend and go nuts. Now...fuck em. The Yankees need to lose for a few years. I'm rooting for them, but honestly, a few losing seasons will bring everything back to reality.

farrellgirl99

#68 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 pm

we can lose next year. though i agree, die hards like me are on the couch because i cant afford these games.and its not like they win the ws every year, there's no excuse. and the new stadium stifles sound, the old stadium was much louder.

raul freakin ibanez :rockon:

SR

#69 Post by SR » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:15 pm

The Yankees stifle all that is good, and right, and beautiful in this world. :jasper:

farrellgirl99

#70 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 pm

SR wrote:The Yankees stifle all that is good, and right, and beautiful in this world. :jasper:

farrellgirl99

#71 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm

wow what a win for oakland right there. i hate valderde so :cheers:

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:wow what a win for oakland right there. i hate valderde so :cheers:
two game 5's for the bay area teams. giants play at 10am which is bullshit since i will be working.

Xizen47

#73 Post by Xizen47 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:36 am

Just got back from the game :rockon: What an amazing win! 1 more baby :aoa:

Juana

#74 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 am

rooting for the A's ironically, being a Dodger fan but I have always liked Billy Beane and the players he brought up. In AZ I used to go to A's spring training games and got to meet and get a bunch of stuff signed by them, they were always way cool. Eric Byrnes was the coolest though went drinking with him in Tempe once that was crazy.

ellis

#75 Post by ellis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 am

I still B'lieve, HUN!!!!! :rockon: :rockon:

Go, O's!!!