Live shows in your agenda?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
wally

Re: Live shows in your agenda?

#226 Post by wally » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:41 am

so my girlfriend got us tix to the doobie bros and steve miller band at the new (temporary) america's cup pavilion this friday. :noclue: :cool:

Pandemonium

#227 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:11 pm

wally wrote:so my girlfriend got us tix to the doobie bros and steve miller band at the new (temporary) america's cup pavilion this friday. :noclue: :cool:
Eww, that looks about as music friendly a setup as any local fairgrounds. I won't even get into either act and what sad state they are probably in this late in their respective careers. Thank her by getting tickets on Valentines Day for The Wiggles Tour live.

guysmiley

#228 Post by guysmiley » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:45 am

I might see Muse, and Pumpkins and Johnny Marr in August for fairly cheap.

Mescal

#229 Post by Mescal » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:53 am

guysmiley wrote:I might see Muse, and Pumpkins and Johnny Marr in August for fairly cheap.
I saw Muse on tuesday, for free :cool:

It was ok. I didn't even realise I knew that many of their songs. Bombastic show, and I like that relatively new tune, Madness.

They don't play 100 % live though. The bass player was running around while playing the riff of Hysteria. That's not really possible without missing a note. And obviously he didn't miss a note.

wally

#230 Post by wally » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
wally wrote:so my girlfriend got us tix to the doobie bros and steve miller band at the new (temporary) america's cup pavilion this friday. :noclue: :cool:
Eww, that looks about as music friendly a setup as any local fairgrounds. I won't even get into either act and what sad state they are probably in this late in their respective careers. Thank her by getting tickets on Valentines Day for The Wiggles Tour live.
harsh. but yeah you're probably right. i'm sure the people watching will be epic though.

Artemis

#231 Post by Artemis » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:36 pm

It'll be a stoner and drunk fest too.

Romeo

#232 Post by Romeo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:55 am

Got my ticket for Blondie & X at Roseland in October :banana:

And Buckwheat Zydeco is giving a free concert here on the beach next weekend....but I will be away :sad:

Easton

#233 Post by Easton » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Went to see Bruce Springsteen this weekend. As expected, an awesome show. He played for almost 3 1/2 hours, including some obscure songs and all of Darkness on the Edge of Town. A lot of artists could learn a thing a thing or two from The Boss

wally

#234 Post by wally » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Artemis wrote:It'll be a stoner and drunk fest too.
We had fun. Except for all the old people sitting in their chairs the entire time. Show the artists some appreciation dammit! Gorgeous night in the city and although the sound was echoing all over the place, damn if steve miller doesn't still sound exactly like he does on an album that came out 40 years ago.

SR

#235 Post by SR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 am

Anyone in LA going to the Mac, or heard if this tour is worthwhile? I have real concerns about tix pricing because of their age and the fact Christine won't be there....no idea how they play her songs in her absence. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#236 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 pm

SR wrote:Anyone in LA going to the Mac, or heard if this tour is worthwhile? I have real concerns about tix pricing because of their age and the fact Christine won't be there....no idea how they play her songs in her absence. :noclue:
Lindsey Buckingham has always been and still is impressive on guitar so for better or worse, he really dominates their show now. Stevie Nicks unfortunately is way past her prime and my understanding is that they pretty much do not play any McVie tunes this tour and have slotted in a couple solo Nicks (like "Stand back") and Buckingham "Tusk" era songs to fill the gap. I've seen FM once, way back in 1979 during the Tusk tour right before Christmas and I think that's been enough for me.

SR

#237 Post by SR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:Anyone in LA going to the Mac, or heard if this tour is worthwhile? I have real concerns about tix pricing because of their age and the fact Christine won't be there....no idea how they play her songs in her absence. :noclue:
Lindsey Buckingham has always been and still is impressive on guitar so for better or worse, he really dominates their show now. Stevie Nicks unfortunately is way past her prime and my understanding is that they pretty much do not play any McVie tunes this tour and have slotted in a couple solo Nicks (like "Stand back") and Buckingham "Tusk" era songs to fill the gap. I've seen FM once, way back in 1979 during the Tusk tour right before Christmas and I think that's been enough for me.
Yeah, my approach to this concert is very guarded. I'd like to see LB, but Nicks was never a favorite of mine....even in her prime. I am a CMcVie homer though. You and I have discussed Mick before.....not a huge admirer there either. But, alas, I love their music through Tusk. I'll keep an eye on the ticket prices in the next 24 hours and see. :wave:

Japhy

#238 Post by Japhy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm Buckingham / Nicks all the way! Seeing them in September and will take all the Tusk songs they wanna do. Of the 5, Christine is the one i'm most happy to miss (although she's on about doing one of the London shows as a guest, so i may catch her anyway).

But yeah, as long as Bucks and Nicks show up, I'm good. :rockon:

SR

#239 Post by SR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:51 pm

:rockon:

SR

#240 Post by SR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Japhy wrote:I'm Buckingham / Nicks all the way! Seeing them in September and will take all the Tusk songs they wanna do. Of the 5, Christine is the one i'm most happy to miss (although she's on about doing one of the London shows as a guest, so i may catch her anyway).

Just curious....you'd rather lose Christie than John of the five?

Pandemonium

#241 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:49 pm

SR wrote:
Japhy wrote:I'm Buckingham / Nicks all the way! Seeing them in September and will take all the Tusk songs they wanna do. Of the 5, Christine is the one i'm most happy to miss (although she's on about doing one of the London shows as a guest, so i may catch her anyway).

They are all unique, critically important musicians to that lineup but yeah, I'd rather sacrifice John to get Christie back. I loved her voice much more than Stevies back during their peak.

BTW, I just had a fun thought - you could switch Stevie Nicks and Dio (if he was still alive singing each other's songs and it would be a good fit. Dio singing Gypsy, Nicks singing Heaven and Hell.

SR

#242 Post by SR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 am

:lol:

SR

#243 Post by SR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:27 pm

pulled the trigger on sec 117.....never sat just behind the stage before, so it's an experiment. :noclue:

Artemis

#244 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:45 pm

SR wrote:pulled the trigger on sec 117.....never sat just behind the stage before, so it's an experiment. :noclue:
i sat behind the stage for a show -Hilario Durán with a 13 piece latin jazz band - it was pretty good.

i liked that i could watch the musicians play.

SR

#245 Post by SR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Artemis wrote:
SR wrote:pulled the trigger on sec 117.....never sat just behind the stage before, so it's an experiment. :noclue:
i sat behind the stage for a show -Hilario Durán with a 13 piece latin jazz band - it was pretty good.

i liked that i could watch the musicians play.
Yeah, I guessed on what side Lindsey will be on. If correct, I'll really enjoy that, and the 'virtual' view looked pretty good. We'll see. :wave:

SR

#246 Post by SR » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 am

Well, Lyndsey Buckingham hasn't lost a step. Mick......god Mick.....had a drummer behind his kit propping him up. And to add insult to that misery, he thanked all the musicians except his ghost player. :bs: Nicks was just OK :bs: missed hard on a few. It looked like the LB show with a poor Fleetwood Mac cover band supporting him. Christie is SORELY missed. Just a gaping hole.

Buckingham made it worthwhile. :rockon:

Xizen47

#247 Post by Xizen47 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:02 pm

7/6 Jim Jefferies
7/10 Portugal the man
7/11 Portugal the Man
7/13 Portugal the Man
8/16-8/19 My band (mini CA tour)
8/26 Sabbath
10/20 Goblin
10/22 Portugal the man

Want to see NIN, Rocket From the Crypt, Alt-J, Animal Collective and QOTSA if I have the time

Japhy

#248 Post by Japhy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:11 pm

SR wrote:

Oh i know mate, musically it's a stupid fucking thing to say! But I just love John and his whole wasted little persona... plus he's got to be there for The Chain. Ideally it would be the whole 5 but i'm this little kid (not so little) from a cold, wet island. I've said before but since a real young age, America, and particularly California, have been this magical world to me... Lindsey and Stevie epitomise what took that decent band and made them the one i love. So, they're in and then it would have to be the 2 idiots that were there at the start. If i had a choice of listening to a Mac song it would always be a Buckingham or Nicks number.

It's no dig on Christine though... just a stupid personal preference!

SR

#249 Post by SR » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Japhy wrote:
SR wrote:

Oh i know mate, musically it's a stupid fucking thing to say! But I just love John and his whole wasted little persona... plus he's got to be there for The Chain. Ideally it would be the whole 5 but i'm this little kid (not so little) from a cold, wet island. I've said before but since a real young age, America, and particularly California, have been this magical world to me... Lindsey and Stevie epitomise what took that decent band and made them the one i love. So, they're in and then it would have to be the 2 idiots that were there at the start. If i had a choice of listening to a Mac song it would always be a Buckingham or Nicks number.

It's no dig on Christine though... just a stupid personal preference!
:tiphat:

Pandemonium

#250 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:30 am

SR wrote:Well, Lyndsey Buckingham hasn't lost a step. Mick......god Mick.....had a drummer behind his kit propping him up. And to add insult to that misery, he thanked all the musicians except his ghost player. :bs: Nicks was just OK :bs: missed hard on a few. It looked like the LB show with a poor Fleetwood Mac cover band supporting him. Christie is SORELY missed. Just a gaping hole.

Buckingham made it worthwhile. :rockon:
Wow, Mick has a hidden backing drummer? That guy used to be one of the most unique, rock solid timekeepers on the planet.