Live shows in your agenda?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Larry B.

Re: Live shows in your agenda?

#521 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Saw a Cirque du Soleil show a couple of weeks ago, tributing an Argentinain band called Soda Stereo.

The show was fucking awful. I almost fell asleep. Seriously, ridiculously unimpressive. I had seen Cirque du Soleil about 10 years ago, with Saltimbanco (I think), and it was awesome. But this was absolute rubbish, a load of old arse. I felt like I'd been conned.

wally

#522 Post by wally » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 pm

if any of you get the chance, go see the schizophonics.
great live show.

sinep

#523 Post by sinep » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:14 pm

I saw the big Tool show in San Bernadino back in June. It was a blast.

SR

#524 Post by SR » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:53 am

Took in the Kamasi Washington/Herbie Hancock show at the Bowl last night. KW's set was a lush crossover revival of original jazz fusion with choral, strings, brass, electronics, acoustic percussion,(2 kits, primary was Ronald Bruner Jr. :rockon: ), and vox.....impactful and powerful set that was comforting and power driven simultaneously. Impactful without attitude....though an able player was surprised to see how little he monopolized the spotlight, graciously sharing time with equally able players he grew up with.

HH was really good.

SR

#525 Post by SR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 am

David Lindley last night at St. Rocke....small venue......no one here will know him, but he's a legend player of string instruments. Had a hit, Mercury Blues, with his band El Rayo-X back in the early 80's. Known as a session player, but has made major contributions to the sounds and styles of Jackson Browne, Ry Cooder, and Ben Harper (and many others) largely, but not at all exclusively to slide guitar. Collects instruments from all over the world, but mainly displays Turkish and Syrian Ouds live that he plays to emulate the blues like no other. Razor sharp comic wit and surly militant 60's hippy politics ooze from this guy. Badass mofo..... :rockon:
Mr. Dave.jpg
Mr. Dave.jpg (113.86 KiB) Viewed 8049 times

Hype

#526 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:43 am

I Mother Earth & The Watchmen tonight . Probably won't be the greatest show, since IME are old, but I missed them before they broke up the last time, so I figure I should catch them while I still can.

This newish song of theirs is okay (vocals are the other singer, not Edwin, who is apparently back with them for this show):

Artemis

#527 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:48 am

SR wrote:David Lindley last night at St. Rocke....small venue......no one here will know him, but he's a legend player of string instruments.[/attachment]
I know him! Never seen him live, but know who he is. He's played many times in Toronto over the years. A musician's musician for sure!

In other live show news...I just saw a listing for Tricky in October, might get tix for that.

Pandemonium

#528 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:20 am

SR wrote:David Lindley last night at St. Rocke....small venue......no one here will know him, but he's a legend player of string instruments. Had a hit, Mercury Blues, with his band El Rayo-X back in the early 80's. Known as a session player, but has made major contributions to the sounds and styles of Jackson Browne, Ry Cooder, and Ben Harper (and many others) largely, but not at all exclusively to slide guitar. Collects instruments from all over the world, but mainly displays Turkish and Syrian Ouds live that he plays to emulate the blues like no other. Razor sharp comic wit and surly militant 60's hippy politics ooze from this guy. Badass mofo..... :rockon:
Mr. Dave.jpg
El Rayo-X is the only Lindley album I own. Nice to see he's still out there playing. Reading your account of the show has prodded me to give that LP a listen tonight after dinner.

SR

#529 Post by SR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:25 am

He left the JB sphere in '80 I believe and JB produced the first ER-X album. I always had the impression that album was a bit off a cash grab, but who knows what's in the hearts and minds of people. I didn't like much of it...though I do like Mercury Blues; the rich, aggressive, slightly distorted guitar work and the rotos made for a fun R&R ride.

SR

#530 Post by SR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:34 am

Hype wrote:I Mother Earth & The Watchmen tonight . Probably won't be the greatest show, since IME are old....
:lol: :oldtimer: Bring em an Ensure or two.

Hype

#531 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:45 pm

SR wrote:
Hype wrote:I Mother Earth & The Watchmen tonight . Probably won't be the greatest show, since IME are old....
:lol: :oldtimer: Bring em an Ensure or two.
Yeah. Edwin is 49 I think, so... getting up there. He probably won't be able to sing the tracks off Dig like they're supposed to sound.

I love the intro riff for this song -- very UTB/Iris-like:

Levitate!

Hmm... his pipes are better than Perry's these days. :rockon:

Artemis

#532 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 am

Got a last minute ticket to the QOTSA 7 Royal Blood show tonight! I got a great seat, 2nd row centre, just above the GA pit area. I'm old. I like the comfort of a seat, plus-and more importantly- my view will not be blocked by some 6ft guy standing directly in front of me. The show is outside at the amphitheatre, I mean "Budweiser Stage' down by the lake, might be a little chilly, but the sun is out and no call for rain.

Juana

#533 Post by Juana » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:49 am

Artemis wrote:Got a last minute ticket to the QOTSA 7 Royal Blood show tonight! I got a great seat, 2nd row centre, just above the GA pit area. I'm old. I like the comfort of a seat, plus-and more importantly- my view will not be blocked by some 6ft guy standing directly in front of me. The show is outside at the amphitheatre, I mean "Budweiser Stage' down by the lake, might be a little chilly, but the sun is out and no call for rain.
Nice who is opening?

Last night I saw Billy Gibbons and co so life is good

Artemis

#534 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:39 am

Juana wrote:
Artemis wrote:Got a last minute ticket to the QOTSA 7 Royal Blood show tonight! I got a great seat, 2nd row centre, just above the GA pit area. I'm old. I like the comfort of a seat, plus-and more importantly- my view will not be blocked by some 6ft guy standing directly in front of me. The show is outside at the amphitheatre, I mean "Budweiser Stage' down by the lake, might be a little chilly, but the sun is out and no call for rain.
Nice who is opening?

Last night I saw Billy Gibbons and co so life is good
:cool: Must have been a great show!

Royal Blood is opening for QOSTA

Juana

#535 Post by Juana » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Any time the Rev Billy takes the stage it's all about the boogie

Mescal

#536 Post by Mescal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks to (I think) Artemis (recommend me new music thread) I went to see the Black Angels last night.

When my girlfriend asked 'where do you know these guys from' I had to say 'well, you know, this JA site I visit ....'

Not bad, but after a few songs I had this 'these guys are always playing the some song' thing.

Some good bits and all that, but just 30 mins too long. They should have kept their set under 60 min, then it would have been a perfect concer, now it just dragged on. Unless if I would be on acid or something.

Also, no interaction with the crowd.

I got very drunk though. On a tuesday. So good night out.

So, thanks Artemis (I think)

blackula

#537 Post by blackula » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Murphy's Law on Halloween in Queens, a band I'm in is opening. I saw Murphy's Law years ago open for Soul Brains (Bad Brains when they didn't have the rights to the name) and they were really fun. Soul Brains sucked real hard, really just HR, musically they were great.

Mescal

#538 Post by Mescal » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Larry B. wrote:Saw a Cirque du Soleil show a couple of weeks ago, tributing an Argentinain band called Soda Stereo.

The show was fucking awful. I almost fell asleep. Seriously, ridiculously unimpressive. I had seen Cirque du Soleil about 10 years ago, with Saltimbanco (I think), and it was awesome. But this was absolute rubbish, a load of old arse. I felt like I'd been conned.
I saw a cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas once.

I did fall asleep.

Most expensive nap I ever took

JOEinPHX

#539 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:47 pm

I saw Depeche Mode last night. They seem to enjoy remixing or playing alternate versions of their hits, but otherwise it was a solid damn show. I was enjoying it so much that 2 hours just disappeared.

Artemis

#540 Post by Artemis » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I probably shouldn't admit this, but today, a few friends and I purchased tickets to see Bananarama in February. It's their first EVER North American tour. All original members too. :banana:

Also for 2018. I have tickets for OMD and Valerie June.

kv

#541 Post by kv » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Artemis wrote:I probably shouldn't admit this, but today, a few friends and I purchased tickets to see Bananarama in February. It's their first EVER North American tour. All original members too. :banana:

Also for 2018. I have tickets for OMD and Valerie June.
Always admit your tastes...fuck it

Is fun boy three opening? :wink:

Larry B.

#542 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:47 am

I've got U2 tonight, Noel Gallagher's band is opening. Should be fun.

Larry B.

#543 Post by Larry B. » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:59 am

Larry B. wrote:I've got U2 tonight, Noel Gallagher's band is opening. Should be fun.
It was a lovely show. The one with least "punch" I've seen from them, but it was good. In a way, it was a bit more intimate. The screen was incredible. They played "Bad", and at the end Bono sang quite a bit of a song by Violeta Parra, the greatest local musical icon, who would've turned 100 years old this month. Also, many references to the fact that they were playing in a stadium that once was a concentration camp.

As expected, they played "The Best Thing About Me", and it was fine. As expected too, Side B of The Joshua Tree was a bit of a downer for most people - no wonder the encore is basically a "please go home happy!" from the band.

All in all, it was a good show. Noel Gallagher was a bit annoyed by the fact that people didn't really interact with him. He mentioned a couple of Chilean players who play in the English Premier League, expecting to get a cheer at least, but nobody here would've understood his Manc accent. I think he was supposed to play Stand By Me, but cut it out from is show.

Xizen47

#544 Post by Xizen47 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am

Damn,, everything's hitting at once...

Arcade Fire
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Tune-Yards
Jesus Lizard
St. Vincent
Queens of the Stone Age

Maybe- Primus, LCD Soundsystem, Peter Murphy w/David J doing Bauhaus

Juana

#545 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Saw Primus tonight at the Moody was a killer show

Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers
Fisticuffs
Bass Solo
Last Salmon Man
Frizzle Fry
Candy Man (Leslie Bricusse & Anthony Newley cover)
Mr. Krinkle
The Heckler
Welcome to This World
Duchess and the Proverbial Mind Spread
My Name Is Mud
Over the Electric Grapevine
The Valley
The Seven
The Trek
The Scheme
The Dream
The Storm