No Sleep til Brooklyn...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
blackcoffee

No Sleep til Brooklyn...

#1 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 am

Hey Everyone,

This is an invite to anyone in the NYC area. I'm in town for business and am meeting up with Romeo (and maybe SR????) on Sunday in Brooklyn. Essence has domestic responsibilities that night so won't make it, but will be there in spirit.

Romeo suggested Joya at 215 Court St (between Wyckoff & Warren).

Come raise a glass to Sonny (and two glasses to Hoka for picking up the pieces!)

I'm shooting for being there at 6.

BC

Artemis

Re: No Sleep til Brooklyn...

#2 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:30 am

i don't remember the name, but i remember going to a great rock bar in brooklyn with ant + es. it had a pretty good jukebox too. was it called 7?? :hs:

Romeo

#3 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:28 am

:lol: they have more than one. Williamsburg is teeming with them, they even have a bar with skee ball and have skee ball tourneys!

So we meeting there at 6?? That's cool!

NOW keep in mind, this place is "minimal" so there isn't a BIG sign out front. Just a small sign in the window

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:20 pm

I wasn't implying that there is only 1 bar in the whole if Brooklyn. I was trying to remember the name of the one we went to.

ant

#5 Post by ant » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Artemis wrote:i don't remember the name, but i remember going to a great rock bar in brooklyn with ant + es. it had a pretty good jukebox too. was it called 7?? :hs:
I think that place we went to had the number 13 in the name. That place was cool.

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:47 pm

ant wrote:
Artemis wrote:i don't remember the name, but i remember going to a great rock bar in brooklyn with ant + es. it had a pretty good jukebox too. was it called 7?? :hs:
I think that place we went to had the number 13 in the name. That place was cool.
You're right!

I just found it...

Lucky 13 Saloon.

I knew it had as part of the name. :lol:

Essence_Smith

#7 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Yep, it was Lucky 13...good times for sure...and the jukebox is CRAZY...everything from Bauhaus to Jane's to early RHCP to Metallica on down...they even have burlesque shows there on Thursday nights...and its nowhere near Williamsburg...I HATE that area... :no:

I think blackcoffee's been trying to hit me up but I've been in meetings all day...I may be able to swing by Sunday... :rockon:

Romeo

#8 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Yea but a GOOD majority of the cool bars have really good jukeboxes now.

And I like the skee ball.

ES, not sure yet if Ariel is going to be Joya Sunday, he said wasn't sure which restaurant he'll be at sunday night but he'll let me know.

Essence_Smith

#9 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Romeo wrote:Yea but a GOOD majority of the cool bars have really good jukeboxes now.

And I like the skee ball.

ES, not sure yet if Ariel is going to be Joya Sunday, he said wasn't sure which restaurant he'll be at sunday night but he'll let me know.
:noclue:
The only time you'll ever catch me in a bar now is if I'm playing somewhere...

Awww damn...haven't seen A in a long time, hope it turns out he is there though...

Romeo

#10 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:52 pm

I'll text him tomorrow, I assume he doesn't know which place he'll land at ahead of time :noclue:

SR

#11 Post by SR » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:00 am

Hey guys, just got to respond to the PM.....sorry I missed you two.....would loved to have finally made an introduction!

Presently in Morristown visiting family and will be in the city most likely tonight until next Thursday!!

PM if yr around and available. I'll be on a serious museum quest, but no rigid agenda applies to my trip

All the best!

SR

#12 Post by SR » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:03 am

Btw, before the dumster fire at Xiola, there was a band playing in Brooklyn....one of their songs was "Lyre"....

Anyone remember details on their show?

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:38 am

SR, there's a thread at ja.org about this band. Here is a copy of the post.

The show is Wed or Thursday I think...don't remember the venue. You'll have to look up their MYsPACE page or check club gig listings.

hey guys, i'm new in here..came over from xiola. i'm situated in NYC and was in 2 different bands on Vagrant Records (the Comas and Electric Owls) for a few years...when those projects broke down, i kinda came full-circle to Jane's and the passion for building a great live band...so, after a bit of searching and working...i'd love for you guys to check out mt new band, Fountains. just one singer, one guitar, one bass, and one drummer...here's a link to 3 songs we just finished mixing/mastering..mastering was done by Fred Kevorkian (White Stripes, Iggy Pop, The Walkmen, etc..) at Avatar Studios and we recorded the tracks with a guy named Cedar Apffel. all 3 songs are FREE to download or just stream 'em...lemme know whatcha think!! cheers!! here's the link: http://fountains.bandcamp.com/releases
jason c
Black Radio Club
My bill is in the mail. :tiphat:

Romeo

#14 Post by Romeo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 am

SR you aren't too late. We're meeting for dinner tomorrow night around 6.

ES bad news, A is working at either National in Fort Greene or at Song on Park Slope :sad: he said to go to the one he'll be at but I don't want people not familiar with BK going out of their way.

Essence_Smith

#15 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Romeo wrote:SR you aren't too late. We're meeting for dinner tomorrow night around 6.

ES bad news, A is working at either National in Fort Greene or at Song on Park Slope :sad: he said to go to the one he'll be at but I don't want people not familiar with BK going out of their way.
Actually Fort Greene & the Slope are 10X easier to navigate imo...I'd have had very little trouble going to either area if I was available...to SR & blackcoffee, I'm available any time this week after 6pm & work in the city. I think I already sent you both my contact info...and SR, MOMA is right across the street from my office... :wink:

Romeo

#16 Post by Romeo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Well I've been to the Park Slope and Cobble Hill restaurants, but i wouldn't wanna have to give directions to put of towners. :wink:
Never been to the Fort Greene one yet but it's only open about a year.

Romeo

#17 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 am

ok so....
Everyone survived :lol: We were treated like the Z-List celebrities that we are! :wink:
We missed SR who was getting his drink on in Manhattan. By the time he got back to BK I was on my way home...SO....we're trying to pull something together for during the week, you in ES?

Essence_Smith

#18 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 am

If you guys are definitely getting together this week I am down...I think you all have my info by now...

Romeo

#19 Post by Romeo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 am

We actually started at Joya and ended up at Song...So, Blackcoffee got a little tour of Cobble Hill & Park Slope.
Drank Mojitos in both locals.
BUT when we got to Song, we were waiting for the table talking to A and at the first table (which we ended up sitting at) was Becky 1&3 from Roseanne. Remember, she was the original then replaced...then came back.... :laugh: She was with a guy with a funky looking comb over. A gives us that table which we named the "Z-list table", nothing but the best!

Nice to know Roseanne residuals are going towards his kids College fund! :hehe:

SR

#20 Post by SR » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Artemis wrote:SR, there's a thread at ja.org about this band. Here is a copy of the post.

The show is Wed or Thursday I think...don't remember the venue. You'll have to look up their MYsPACE page or check club gig listings.

hey guys, i'm new in here..came over from xiola. i'm situated in NYC and was in 2 different bands on Vagrant Records (the Comas and Electric Owls) for a few years...when those projects broke down, i kinda came full-circle to Jane's and the passion for building a great live band...so, after a bit of searching and working...i'd love for you guys to check out mt new band, Fountains. just one singer, one guitar, one bass, and one drummer...here's a link to 3 songs we just finished mixing/mastering..mastering was done by Fred Kevorkian (White Stripes, Iggy Pop, The Walkmen, etc..) at Avatar Studios and we recorded the tracks with a guy named Cedar Apffel. all 3 songs are FREE to download or just stream 'em...lemme know whatcha think!! cheers!! here's the link: http://fountains.bandcamp.com/releases
jason c
Black Radio Club
My bill is in the mail. :tiphat:
Yes, you have my address from many moons ago. :wink:

SR

#21 Post by SR » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Romeo wrote:ok so....
Everyone survived :lol: We were treated like the Z-List celebrities that we are! :wink:
We missed SR who was getting his drink on in Manhattan. By the time he got back to BK I was on my way home...SO....we're trying to pull something together for during the week, you in ES?
We almost made it. That dinner I was at in the city was my bride, her parents and sister, my kiddo and a dear friend and his girlfriend.

We started with about 6 dozen half shell chilled plates, apps, entree, dessert, and coursed wines. It took about 3 and a half hours and yet as the city has a tendency to do to me, was ready for round two in Brooklyn. I'll post some pics here of the trip; it was killer....effin love that city!

Whenever you guys are in LA, please contact.

Bummed I missed you guys!

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:18 am

your texts were funny, I was thinking HOW much did he have to drink :lol:

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the city, you all had some nice weather even if blackcoffee isn't used to the humidity!

SR

#23 Post by SR » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:12 am

Romeo wrote:your texts were funny, I was thinking HOW much did he have to drink :lol:

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the city, you all had some nice weather even if blackcoffee isn't used to the humidity!
Just looked at them....yup we dined!

As foor the humidity, I am squarely and irreversably with blackcoffee.....it is MISERABLE. Yesterday it finally broke for our time spent at JFK.

Romeo

#24 Post by Romeo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:40 am

Could of been worse...
You could of came during the winter & we had a blizzard :wink:

Like I said to blackcoffee lately we go from Miami swamp like heat to Minnesota freezing. We run the gamut! But in all seriousness nothing beats NY in the summer, so much going on all at once...street fairs, outdoor movie nights, pop-up beer gardens, outdoor music....