Computer problem

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Matz

Computer problem

#1 Post by Matz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:34 am

when I get a 'Windows/system32/Config/system file missing' message on an XP computer, exactly how bad is that? Is it possible for a guy who knows a lot about computers (not me) to restore the thing so files etc aren't lost or are you fucked basically and have to format and reinstall XP?

If anyone knows it'd be cool

Larry B.

Re: Computer problem

#2 Post by Larry B. » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39 am

It can be mildly bad to super bad, but sometimes the solution is quite easy: google the missing file, download it, copy it to the proper folder, restart and hope for the best :thumb:

I've done it a lot of times and it has always solved the problem :noclue:

Matz

#3 Post by Matz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:01 pm

thanks, but the problem is that it's barely starting up before that missing warning happens so I never get to access folders and stuff.

I googled the problem and apparantly it can be fixed most of the time by starting up with the setup CD rom and then do a repair. But I'm pretty sure that if I try that I'm just gonna do more harm than good so I think I'll bring it down to a computer store....fuck it's bad timing, I was working on my remix of IF on it :no:

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:12 pm

try system restore and bring your computer back to a day when you know it worked.