College

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
cabangbangq

College

#1 Post by cabangbangq » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm a high school senior. I just got admitted to University of Redlands today, my first private school acceptance. I had a 2.95 GPA in high school with a 28 on the ACT. Other than SFSU, Redlands is the only school I've gotten admitted to. I also applied to SDSU (denied), CSU Long Beach (denied), Berklee College of Music (who knows), and Sarah Lawrence College (who knows).

I'm still debating what I'm actually going to do once I hear back from all of my schools, so who knows what lies ahead.

With that being said, what were the ANR members college experiences like? Care to shed any light?

creep
Site Admin

Re: College

#2 Post by creep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:59 pm

cabangbangq wrote:I'm a high school senior. I just got admitted to University of Redlands today, my first private school acceptance. I had a 2.95 GPA in high school with a 28 on the ACT. Other than SFSU, Redlands is the only school I've gotten admitted to. I also applied to SDSU (denied), CSU Long Beach (denied), Berklee College of Music (who knows), and Sarah Lawrence College (who knows).

I'm still debating what I'm actually going to do once I hear back from all of my schools, so who knows what lies ahead.

With that being said, what were the ANR members college experiences like? Care to shed any light?
that's crazy how hard it is to get in to a state school now. why not go to community college for two years and then you can pick whatever school you want. it's really easy to transfer after community college. unless you really want to get out of the house that is what i would do. :noclue:

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:01 pm

If you just want it to be easier you can do the basics in CC and save yourself a lot of hassle and money.

My college experience was fun and is still fun now dropping into classes. My only advice is to basically have fun but be smart about it, don't get crazy with credit cards like I have seen people do and know your limits partying wise because it can get crazy. I saw a bunch of people party themselves out of school or rack up so much debt that now that they're done with school they have to work 2-3 jobs just to pay back the debt because they were not smart about things.

cabangbangq

#4 Post by cabangbangq » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:18 pm

creep wrote:
cabangbangq wrote:I'm a high school senior. I just got admitted to University of Redlands today, my first private school acceptance. I had a 2.95 GPA in high school with a 28 on the ACT. Other than SFSU, Redlands is the only school I've gotten admitted to. I also applied to SDSU (denied), CSU Long Beach (denied), Berklee College of Music (who knows), and Sarah Lawrence College (who knows).

that's crazy how hard it is to get in to a state school now. why not go to community college for two years and then you can pick whatever school you want. it's really easy to transfer after community college. unless you really want to get out of the house that is what i would do. :noclue:
Yeah, CSU's are crazy. A friend with a 3.8 and an 1830 on the SAT got denied to Long Beach. My best friend had a 3.6 and a 1930 on the SAT and got denied to SDSU. No fun.

As for community college, it has its benefits, but it seems ultimately impossible. I definitely plan on getting out of the house. I live in the suburbs about a half hour east of San Francisco. It's a nice area, but ultimately, I'd feel like being at a CC would be a crutch to not do well. I have terrible problems with motivation in school which ultimately dragged down my GPA.

The other thing I forgot to add to this equation is that my parents are going to be moving to Mexico during the summer. We have a frozen yogurt shop down in Xalapa, Veracruz and my whole mom's family lives down there. Unfortunately, it may be very hard to keep the house we're living in right now. My dad got laid off of his "real" job during the fall and has been living in Mexico with his brother-in-law from Aug 2011 - until this month when he came back to visit for my 18th and such. With him being unemployed and not getting a real wage, it is going to be hard to keep the house with the interest rate where it is right now.

That would make it tough for me to go to a CC around here especially since I wouldn't have guaranteed housing and I'd have to rent in the Bay Area (super expensive).

My parents are also trying to convince me to do a year down in Mexico for college, but I don't really know if I want to do that. The plus side is that it would be cheap as hell, I'd be be able to get into the local colleges' music program, I'd be able to have an apartment of my own in Xalapa (most likely downtown), and the drinking age is 18. The downside is that I'd be living in Mexico and a ways away from all of my friends.

Right now, I'm pretty happy I got into Redlands, I wasn't sure I would with my horseshit GPA, especially after getting denied by CSULB and SDSU. My top choice right now is Sarah Lawrence College, fingers crossed there.

mockbee

#5 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:30 pm

If you can afford Redlands (ie tuition is not ridiculous, keep credit to a minimum) I would go for that if it looks like the academic side of things interest you. College is definitely a good experience if you are there for the right reasons. There is a limit though, if you end up paying more for college then you would for a house in 4+ years, not worth it. But I have friends who skipped college and went to trades and such and now they are kind of stuck. Some made professional advancement but most others need to go back to school.

Follow your passion, with prudence by your side. :wave:

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:43 pm

it does seem like you are leaning toward a music degree. if so are you sure you want to go to a private school? music may be your passion but you kind of have to really look at your future beyond college. i just looked up redlands and the tuition is:
Annual Total $53,532
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

200k for a music degree????

cabangbangq

#7 Post by cabangbangq » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 pm

creep wrote:it does seem like you are leaning toward a music degree. if so are you sure you want to go to a private school? music may be your passion but you kind of have to really look at your future beyond college. i just looked up redlands and the tuition is:
Annual Total $53,532

Eh, the problem with a music degree is that my formal training is next to none. I play guitar, bass, drums, and I sing and write my own stuff that I've posted here before, but I can't read music (except for bass music which I haven't read in 5 years). I'd only do music if it were at Berklee (if I even get in which is very doubtbul). Otherwise, I'm leaning towards journalism/poli sci.

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:55 pm

cabangbangq wrote:
creep wrote:it does seem like you are leaning toward a music degree. if so are you sure you want to go to a private school? music may be your passion but you kind of have to really look at your future beyond college. i just looked up redlands and the tuition is:
Annual Total $53,532

Eh, the problem with a music degree is that my formal training is next to none. I play guitar, bass, drums, and I sing and write my own stuff that I've posted here before, but I can't read music (except for bass music which I haven't read in 5 years). I'd only do music if it were at Berklee (if I even get in which is very doubtbul). Otherwise, I'm leaning towards journalism/poli sci.
yeah..probably a better move. you can always take a shitload of music classes whatever your degree is in and minor in it. you have a tough decision...the mexico thing really doesn't sound too bad.

perkana

#9 Post by perkana » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:02 pm

that's cheap compared to what Berklee costs...when I was depressed, my mom really thought about sending me there for audio engineering and 12 years ago tuition was 60k a year

SR

#10 Post by SR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:39 pm

If yr inclined towards any of those private schools, such as Redlands, Azuza, LaVerne, etc.....make sure you apply to the Clairemont Colleges (Pitzer and Pomona are two of the finest small schools in the country) and 50 miles west is Occidental which is far superior to the first three.

Good luck!

sinep

#11 Post by sinep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Annual Total $53,532

you could not pay me 53,532 to live in redlands.

and a lot of those numbers aren't accurate. the president of CSULB just wrote a long ass email debunking a wave of articles that are going around claiming that CSU system schools are more expensive than private universities, and that cite harvard as an example.

i don't know where a lot of those articles get there numbers. i don't qualify for financial aid or anything and i pay right around 3,000 dollars a semester. my first 2 or 3 years of school i paid around 1,600 a semester until they started raising it.

so if i would have had my shit together and wouldn't have changed majors and graduated in four years it would have cost me 24,000 dollars for my education. pretty damn cheap for an engineering degree from one of the top 50 engineering schools in the US.

http://www.csulb.edu/depts/enrollment/r ... asics.html

sinep

#12 Post by sinep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:57 pm

by the way, i don't know exactly how it works, but i know there's an appeals process for admission. one of my closest friends got into SDSU on appeal.

i would try some appeals if you're set on going to a state school.

i don't recommend doing a music degree, but if you do CSULB has a really good music department.

i wasn't entirely sure what i wanted to pursue in college either. my biggest regret is not going to community college to figure my shit out. i know it's super hard to get classes at community colleges now, but do some research and find out what the best one is around you. get your GE taken care of your first year, and then start contacting the departments of whatever major you pick at different universities you're interested in and find out what degree requirements you can take care of while you're still in a community college. get a relationship going with the academic advisers in the department of the degree you want to pursue before you're even enrolled at the school.

probably the two smartest people i know, one is getting their masters in astrophysics at stanford and the other is getting her masters in mechanical engineering at stanford both started off at community college.

MYXYLPLYX

#13 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Oy, looks like the CSU system is in real trouble:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1
Cal State to close door on spring 2013 enrollment

California State University will accept no new admissions for the spring semester of 2013 - with a few exceptions - as part of a drastic cost-cutting strategy to reduce enrollment by about 16,000 students next spring, officials said Monday.

Another 20,000 to 25,000 qualified students could be barred from attending CSU in the 2013-14 academic year if voters reject a proposed tax measure that hasn't yet qualified for the November ballot.

Failure of the tax measure would trigger an automatic funding cut of $200 million for CSU under a scenario proposed by Gov. Jerry Brown. That loss would come on top of a $750 million budget hit that CSU already took this year.

The uncertainty has university planners guessing how many students they can afford to admit, and how many employees they can afford to pay.

"It's made planning very difficult - and it's made serving our students as they ought to be served very challenging," said Robert Turnage, CSU's budget czar, who said CSU's budget gap stands at half a billion.

Skyrocketing tuition

The trustees have already raised tuition and mandatory fees for next fall to $7,017 - not counting room, board and books. That's double what CSU cost in 2007-08, and the trustees meeting this week in Long Beach aren't planning to raise tuition again for the fall.

"It's pretty clear that enthusiasm for fee increases is pretty much not there," Turnage said.

Instead, CSU will close the door to thousands of students - mainly transfers from community colleges - who typically flood CSU's 23 campuses each spring to finish out their college education.

The exception will be about 500 students who are part of a graduation-track transfer program authorized by the Legislature last year. Those students, currently in community college, will be allowed to transfer into eight CSU campuses only: San Francisco, Cal State East Bay, Sonoma, Channel Islands, Chico, Fullerton, Los Angeles and San Bernardino.

But those students are the proverbial drop in the bucket compared with the 16,000 or so who had expected to proceed with their education at a CSU next spring. San Francisco State University, for example, expects to turn away more than 1,500 students next spring.

CSU officials said they don't yet know how much they'll save by canceling spring admissions but say it will be significant because the tuition each student pays is less than the cost to educate them. The exceptions are out-of-state students, who are not subsidized by the state and pay the full cost of their education.

Students react

"I'm angry," said Eric Blanc, an education activist who attends Berkeley City College. "This shuts off the CSU for thousands of working-class students, which is unacceptable in a state that has plenty of wealth."

Blanc, like many students, views the situation from an Occupy perspective and called it an attack by the "1 percent." "Students shouldn't be paying for the economic crisis in our state," he said.

Student leaders agreed. They said CSU's decision puts additional pressure on the state's overburdened community college system and confounds the lives of young people trying to move forward in life.

"The hold on enrollment is unfair to the thousands of students who now must wait on the outcome of an election to find out if they will be attending a CSU," said George Escutia Jr., a student at Norco College in Riverside County who serves on the Student Senate for California Community Colleges.

Although CSU officials don't know yet if they will reject the additional 20,000 or more students for the 2013-14 school year, they said Monday that all admissions decisions will be frozen, pending the outcome of the November election. The admissions process for the following fall begins in October.

The tax measure

The tax proposal most likely to qualify for the ballot is a combination of what had been called the Millionaires Tax, backed by labor unions and students, and a competing plan by Brown.

The combination would raise the sales tax by a quarter cent, expiring after four years. Personal income tax would rise for people earning at least $250,000, depending on whether they are single or a couple. The more they earn, the more they would pay, up to a 3 percentage-point increase, all expiring after seven years.

State finance officials estimate the tax measure would bring in about $9 billion into the state's general fund the first year, and $7.1 billion in each succeeding year.

If the measure failed, CSU's enrollment of about 417,000 could drop to about 380,000 students by fall 2013.

One side effect of serving fewer students would be the need for layoffs and allowing positions to go unfilled.

"That's part of the discussion," said Mike Uhlenkamp, a CSU spokesman, who said the university is looking at "reducing employees at all levels," from staff to faculty to administrators.

"It's horrific," said Kim Geron, vice president of the California Faculty Association, who remembers the last time spring enrollment was canceled, two years ago. He said some people lost not only their health benefits, but their homes.

Nanette Asimov is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer.

mockbee

#14 Post by mockbee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:14 pm

I took a continuing education BIM class recently at City College in SF to brush up on some professional skills, and it was like $55.00.

City College has a Music School as well.
http://www.ccsf.edu/NEW/en/educational- ... music.html

Looks like $36/unit now for in-state students.
Don't know if you are looking for more of a liberal arts experience but if you are just looking to rack up some credits and learn to read music, that would be a good ticket. And for the price, you could live in a real swank penthouse anywhere in the City for less than what those private schools charge for tuition alone. And I wouldn't think that just because you have school loans that it's not real money.

sinep

#15 Post by sinep » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:29 am

mockbee wrote:I took a continuing education BIM class recently at City College in SF to brush up on some professional skills, and it was like $55.00.

Don't know if you are looking for more of a liberal arts experience but if you are just looking to rack up some credits and learn to read music, that would be a good ticket. And for the price, you could live in a real swank penthouse anywhere in the City for less than what those private schools charge for tuition alone. And I wouldn't think that just because you have school loans that it's not real money.
building information modeling? what's your profession?

i'm in a directed studies course right now studying BIM. i need to have a model of a 3 story office building completed in REVIT by april 2nd.

:yikes:

haven't started yet...

Hype

#16 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:54 am

I'm an architect...

Of... the mind. :confused: :hide:

Larry B.

#17 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:55 am

I'm an architect...

Of... language. :confused: :hide:

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:59 am

Larry B. wrote:I'm an architect...

That doesn't seem right... you're more like a recycling depot foreman...

SR

#19 Post by SR » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:20 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

:lol: Now,that's funny.

mockbee

#20 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:12 am

sinep wrote:
mockbee wrote:I took a continuing education BIM class recently at City College in SF to brush up on some professional skills, and it was like $55.00.

building information modeling? what's your profession?

i'm in a directed studies course right now studying BIM. i need to have a model of a 3 story office building completed in REVIT by april 2nd.

:yikes:

haven't started yet...

I'm an architect.

No, really, I am. After 10+ years of dinking around in firms I finally decided to take the ARE, 35 hours of testing later, I just got my license. :banana:

So if anyone needs architectural services, or just some input, let me know! (boy, I'm going to have to work on my pitch if I'm going to make this sole practitioner thing work..... :noclue: )

I took a revit class there, that's what people are on these days. So many revit buildings out there! The curtain wall detailing really gives them away. Do you just need floor plates and a skin or more detailed than that? Good luck!

Larry B.

#21 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

And your architectness of the mind wasn't sharp enough to realize that that was exactly the reason why my post was a carbon copy of yours.

Either that, or you still haven't realized that I'm pretty fucking clever. I'm gonna go with both.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 am

Lots of people are very clever. Especially stupid people.

Larry B.

#23 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Lots of people are very clever. Especially stupid people.
That's pretty clever.

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 am

Larry B. wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Lots of people are very clever. Especially stupid people.
That's pretty clever.
It's moderately clever, but it doesn't imply anything about stupidity. Draw the Venn diagrams. :lol:

Larry B.

#25 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
That's pretty clever.
It's moderately clever, but it doesn't imply anything about stupidity. Draw the Venn diagrams. :lol:
That reminds me of something I'd like to share here.

- The universe of natural numbers is infinite.
- The universe of real numbers is infinite.

The universe of real numbers contain the universe of natural numbers. However, both universes contain the same amount of elements.

That's beautiful.