Gardening

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Gardening

#1 Post by SR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Just spent the morning cultivating the earth and planting Japanese Eggplant, Bells, Seranos, Basil, Cilantro, and Romas.

I love to garden? Does that make me Larry B?

Larry B.

Re: Gardening

#2 Post by Larry B. » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Hmmm... there is grass, but definitely no Cilantro.

You're probably gay, though.

SR

#3 Post by SR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Larry B. wrote:Image

Hmmm... there is grass, but definitely no Cilantro.

You're probably gay, though.
:banana: :yeay: :agree:

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Pretty soon the neighbours will start to gossip and say things like, "He often goes out and squats among the cabbages and leeks."

SR

#5 Post by SR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:21 am

:sad: I didn't realize that gardenphobia was so prevalent on the boards.

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:32 am

I don't know about Larry B, but I was just joking.

Gardening is wonderful! Personally, I love it.

Nothing tastes as good as the food you've grown yourself.

"Flowers are essentially tarts; prostitutes for the bees. There is, you’ll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm, young carrot."

~Monty

SR

#7 Post by SR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:42 am

Artemis wrote:I don't know about Larry B, but I was just joking.

Gardening is wonderful! Personally, I love it.

Nothing tastes as good as the food you've grown yourself.

"Flowers are essentially tarts; prostitutes for the bees. There is, you’ll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm, young carrot."

~Monty
:wiggle: I was joking as well. I'm sure Larry B was as well.

Yeah, I thought there would be a few here to impart their magic born of the thumb. Every year , I want to plant, but it ends up being every five, it seems. So glad to have taken the time this year! And, I totally agree....by summer I will have ceviche and pico de gallo that will be outa this world!

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:43 am

Joking too... I wish I'd have a place to grow my own food, herbs, spices, etc. Having been born in the country, the difference between a real tomato and a supermarket-tomato is too noticeable. I can't eat peaches from supermarkets anymore, they have actually made me nauseous.

Artemis

#9 Post by Artemis » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:52 am

I don't have a garden because I live in an apartment building, but I help my mother with her garden. Her backyard is mostly a vegetable garden, which is an amazing thing in the city. We plant tomatoes, a variety of peppers, cucumbers, beets, onions,spinach, swiss chard, zuchini, eggplant(not every year) celery, carrots. there's herbs like parsley,mint,sage,tarragon,rosemary,thyme, oregano, basil. my mom also has a couple of quince trees and apricots. we had a peach tree but it got diseased so we had to cut it down.

guysmiley

#10 Post by guysmiley » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:58 am

I use to make a little urban garden in my Portland balcony. There were upside down tomato planters for tight spaces I had, and the other boxes I built myself. I really enjoyed it. Sitting on my balcony was like a garden, but everything was edible, and I used them for my cooking. Basil, Tomatoes, Shiso(a great really easy to grow healthy mint family plant), Camomile, carrots, Rosemary, and Cilantro. Right now I have green onions. Trying for Hot Indian Peppers and Thai Basil. Shit is hard to germinate. I think learning the skill to make or grow your own food is essential to life, even if we live in a city. Kept it up man. I think Its rewarding.

Essence_Smith

#11 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 am

SR wrote:I love to garden? Does that make me Larry B?
Nah...just means that "Old Fart" status is right around the corner... :hehe:

SR

#12 Post by SR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 am

Dude, I think my recent aquisition of bi focals cemented that status. :nod:

Essence_Smith

#13 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:39 am

SR wrote:Dude, I think my recent aquisition of bi focals cemented that status. :nod:
:lolol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#14 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:53 am

I'd like to get a garden down. Probably already a little late considering how early the Spring weather came. Maybe not?

I spent Saturday re-landscaping my disaster from 3 years ago. 3 bushes died and 3 others didn't look like I expected. This was all a first time thing for me. Now seeing what worked and what didn't I planted bushes that will better match my vision. Nothing fancy, but in a subdivision where people pay to have their yards professionally done I'm just trying not to have the shittiest looking yard on the block without paying an arm and a leg. :lol:

Romeo

#15 Post by Romeo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:37 am

I would love to garden but I can't grow plants for shit. I could kill a silk plant.

BUT I do plant bulbs in the fall and have lovely tulips in the spring. But that's not actually gardening since the bulbs do all the work. And I do buy hanging plants for my porch (I love wave petunias) and when they look like they are about to die I water them.

I would love a vegetable garden but I don't get much sun in my backyard (only in the morning)

SR

#16 Post by SR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 am

Romeo and Hoka....I am no expert by any loose definition at all.....but I have found that it is impossible to thwart some herbs and plants from thriving. Basil and chilis grow like weeds with just minimal care. By that I mean decent sun exposure and water. :nod:

As nice as it is to harvest the foods and prepare them, watching them thrive is oddly grattifying for me. It's grounding ( :wave: Arty).

SR

#17 Post by SR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:50 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
SR wrote:Dude, I think my recent aquisition of bi focals cemented that status. :nod:
:lolol:
True story. :oldtimer:

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:03 pm

because our houses face West, my neighbor grows her veggies in her front yard. Right along our common fence she has strawberries. AND I know Mint will grow and grow and grow because some even started growing on my side (I'm all set for mojitos :cool: )

I should try. My Grandpa was from Sicily and was a ardent gardener!! He could grow anything anywhere they lived! When they lived in a apt behind his store and had a 2X4 backyard he would grow cucumbers to make his own garlic pickles. When I was little & they moved out here to LI he had the most wonderful garden with tomatos, carrots and Zucchini. With TALL Sunflowers framing the garden. He also used to grown mint, I remember he used to let me pull the leaves off to chew.

SR

#19 Post by SR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Nice!

clickie

#20 Post by clickie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Hoka all you need is a rototiller, some seeds, and a sprinkler for those times in the summer when it doesnt rain and youre set...

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 pm

hokahey wrote:I'd like to get a garden down. Probably already a little late considering how early the Spring weather came. Maybe not?

I spent Saturday re-landscaping my disaster from 3 years ago. 3 bushes died and 3 others didn't look like I expected. This was all a first time thing for me. Now seeing what worked and what didn't I planted bushes that will better match my vision. Nothing fancy, but in a subdivision where people pay to have their yards professionally done I'm just trying not to have the shittiest looking yard on the block without paying an arm and a leg. :lol:
i have been spending a lot of time redoing my backyard. i have pulled shit out, re-sodded, built a workshop, deck and garden, put brick down and a bunch of other shit. i am doing my front now

before

after

side before

side after

Artemis

#22 Post by Artemis » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Looks really good, creep! :thumb: :cool:

Romeo

#23 Post by Romeo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:21 pm

nice clean up Creep!
The side of the house looked a little creepy before...

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Romeo wrote:nice clean up Creep!
The side of the house looked a little creepy before...
the lady that owned my house before me owned a bunch of birds. that probably explains the creepiness of the yard.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Is that tree in the photo the plum tree?

I will always remember your post about trying plums for the first time. :lol: