No More Signatures

Updates, suggestions, comments related to the site/board
Hokahey
Site Admin

No More Signatures

#1 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 am

1.They clutter up the board.

2. For people that abuse it it makes it hard to scroll through threads.

3. They're generally pointless

4. Most people don't use them

I visit a number of boards and the best, most visited are also the cleanest. They don't allow signatures, mandate avatars be a certain size and safe for work etc.

The worst boards I visit are lax in those rules. Everyone has ridiculously large signatures and it looks like a bunch of 12 year olds post there.

I'd rather emulate the best boards I visit rather than the worst.

Anyone feel really strongly about being able to have a signature?

Romeo

Re: No More Signatures

#2 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 am

no, I don't feel strongly about having one

BUT one board I visit does have a signature size regulation to keep it under control

Hyperbolic

#3 Post by Hyperbolic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:48 am

Said the poet: "See? Because of me, now they have a warning."

So now I'm going to have to actually type my entire signature in every post?

yours truly,
Hyperbolic.

Hyperbolic

#4 Post by Hyperbolic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 am

By the way, should anybody feel the urge to see my awesome signature, you can always check out my profile. It will be there for your amusement.

yours truly,
Nick Carter.

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am

hokahey wrote:
I visit a number of boards and the best, most visited are also the cleanest. They don't allow signatures, mandate avatars be a certain size and safe for work etc.
Is this avatar "work safe"?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Safter than Hyperbolics. I'm trying not to be a nazi about it though. It sucks having to hide half the screen in case someone walks by and gets offended.

cashinnowperry

#7 Post by cashinnowperry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:01 pm

hokahey wrote:Safter than Hyperbolics. I'm trying not to be a nazi about it though. It sucks having to hide half the screen in case someone walks by and gets offended.
I just did that exact thing. Nothing's Shocking, though, right? Now where is that tits smiley at...

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

It's ironic that I was one of the few people using a sig, the classic Larry line about the Northeast states, "Do you guys use salt on your roads?" but it's Larry himself who makes the sigs a problem.

Before this board was even made I told creep that, despite his issues, it might be more fun with Larry around. :neutral:

Hyperbolic

#9 Post by Hyperbolic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Jasper wrote:It's ironic that I was one of the few people using a sig, the classic Larry line about the Northeast states, "Do you guys use salt on your roads?" but it's Larry himself who makes the sigs a problem.

Before this board was even made I told creep that, despite his issues, it might be more fun with Larry around. :neutral:
Despite Creep's issues?

yours truly,
Harry Baals.

Jasper

#10 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Quit trying so hard.

Hyperbolic

#11 Post by Hyperbolic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Jasper wrote:Quit trying so hard.
Should I try harder to quit?

yours truly,
Anita Mandalay.

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Hyperbolic wrote:
Jasper wrote:Quit trying so hard.
Should I try harder to quit?

yours truly,
Anita Mandalay.
Why does your avatar have a urine stain on the taint?

Oh, and if you want to go with something different, don't forget this one:

drifter

#13 Post by drifter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:26 pm

i wish we had signatures. hope you reconsider and let us know when you install

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:52 pm

drifter wrote:i wish we had signatures. hope you reconsider and let us know when you install
i don't understand the reason for them. if you have a website to promote you can do that in your profile. blame larry...he ruined it for everyone.

MYXYLPLYX

#15 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:28 pm

creep wrote: blame larry...he ruined it for everyone.

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:38 pm

bah... Hyperbolic abused it with a during like 4 days and Hoka decided to leave everyone without a signature...

The terrorists win?

kv

#17 Post by kv » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:43 pm

yes...who fucking cares about sigs after they are seen once they are just spam

Jasper

#18 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:41 pm

I liked signatures. I enjoyed having Dave's stupid quote about how they'd have dynamic setlists, something like "We're a band who likes to mix things up night to night." I felt it deserved constant mocking. It was good enough to be a header for the entire site. Sure beat "The Foreskin of Jane's Addiction." :jasper:

Then Larry's hilarious quote about "Do you guys use salt on your roads?" in the Northeast, where we're routinely buried under many feet of snow for 1/3 of the year. I liked that one too. :crying:

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Jasper wrote: Then Larry's hilarious quote about "Do you guys use salt on your roads?" in the Northeast, where we're routinely buried under many feet of snow for 1/3 of the year. I liked that one too. :crying:
i didn't understand the humor in that. i thought it was a fair question. from what little i know some cities use something else besides salt because salt fucks up dogs feet or something.

so...do you guys use salt on your roads?

and...if you want a signature type it out on every post.

Artemis

#20 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:14 pm

yes, there are salt substitutes but they're expensive compared to salt. the province i live in uses more than a million tonnes of salt every winter.
The salt burns trees, chokes vegetation, and contaminates soil. It depletes water of oxygen, and is toxic to many fish. Salts also accelerate the corrosion of automobiles, roads, bridges and sidewalks.

Jasper

#21 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:12 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote: Then Larry's hilarious quote about "Do you guys use salt on your roads?" in the Northeast, where we're routinely buried under many feet of snow for 1/3 of the year. I liked that one too. :crying:
i didn't understand the humor in that. i thought it was a fair question. from what little i know some cities use something else besides salt because salt fucks up dogs feet or something.

:blah:

Oh, for FUCK'S SAKE. :no: Don't be so obtuse. Larry was acting high and mighty, expressing how he couldn't understand why pathetic Americans had a hard time with a little snow (this was during major blizzards which lead to numerous fatalities, closed highways, collapsed roofs, etc.) because it was no big deal to awesome Chileans like himself. Larry showed a photo of a light dusting of snow in his area in an effort to illustrate how people in his area suffered such intense winters without any trouble. Larry's question sprang from the discussion, where people were patiently trying to explain to him what blizzards mean in the Northern U.S.

Salt is used as a blanket term for road-melting chemicals. Larry's question was if we used any such thing on our streets, which was hilarious, and made his smug attitude about Chilean's snow-handling prowess all the more comedic.

The end.

creep
Site Admin

#22 Post by creep » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:

:blah:

Oh, for FUCK'S SAKE. :no: Don't be so obtuse. Larry was acting high and mighty, expressing how he couldn't understand why pathetic Americans had a hard time with a little snow (this was during major blizzards which lead to numerous fatalities, closed highways, collapsed roofs, etc.) because it was no big deal to awesome Chileans like himself. Larry showed a photo of a light dusting of snow in his area in an effort to illustrate how people in his area suffered such intense winters without any trouble. Larry's question sprang from the discussion, where people were patiently trying to explain to him what blizzards mean in the Northern U.S.

Salt is used as a blanket term for road-melting chemicals. Larry's question was if we used any such thing on our streets, which was hilarious, and made his smug attitude about Chilean's snow-handling prowess all the more comedic.

The end.
you still didn't answer the question.

Jasper

#23 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Yes, we use salt on our roads, mountains of salt, among other chemicals, including pre-treatments put down before snow/sleet/hail occurs. Alas, there is only so much that can be done before the snow bends you over and reams you hard.

nausearockpig

#24 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:31 pm

I feel oppressed if the ability, nay, THE RIGHT to choose to use a signature is removed from my list of basic human rights.

I like the sigs and use the same one across all forums

I suggest that a compromise be reached where they are text only and are limited to a "reasonable" character count.

Larry B.

#25 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:06 pm

If Hyperbolic's hilarious signature was the main reason why Creep and/or Hoka decided to get rid of signatures, then Jasper should be kicked in the balls.