Viewing topic from email notifications

Updates, suggestions, comments related to the site/board
nausearockpig

Viewing topic from email notifications

#1 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:37 am

Sometimes the strangest thing happens. I'll be on my iPhone and I open a mail saying there's an update to a topic I'm subscribed to. I click the link and the topic opens up in the mail window. I can read it, reply and quote. All the usual stuff. All in the mail app. Other times a mail comes in and when I click the link I'm taken to a "you're not signed in" screen.

These events occur within seconds or hours or days of each other with no seeming connection.

I'm using an iPhone 5 with the latest software, gmail mail app and the browser I use (not to open the site from emails though) is Safari.

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Viewing topic from email notifications

#2 Post by Hokahey » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:56 am

We'll get our tech team right on it.

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 pm

:lol:

nausearockpig

#4 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Excellent. What's my docket or reference number for when I call in next time?

clickie

#5 Post by clickie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Nausea i'm making a post. Did you get the email?

nausearockpig

#6 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:47 pm

I did. I was on my PC, in Chrome this time signed into Gmail and when I clicked the link I was taken to the sign in screen....

It's very strange.. Oh well, whatever.. 1st world problems/gremlins...

clickie

#7 Post by clickie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:55 pm

Wow, that made it all the way to Australia pretty quickly.

nausearockpig

#8 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:52 pm

We've got some super fast kangaroos here mate.. they're all grown up on Vegemite so they hop to it quick-smart.. bloke, sheila, strewth...

clickie

#9 Post by clickie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Do you guys worship us because of our Declaration of Independence?

nausearockpig

#10 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:30 pm

clickie wrote:Do you guys worship us because of our Declaration of Independence?
We do, we're also jealous of the little phrase in there gives you the right to "reduce" your numbers periodically....

clickie

#11 Post by clickie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:18 am

Nausea, I was curious. Why do you guys spell it this way?

nausearockpig

#12 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:58 pm

clickie wrote:Nausea, I was curious. Why do you guys spell it this way?

It's not usually spelled that way on the actual store signs apart from a couple that I've seen lately... Maybe it's a growing trend to make the brand our own or to make our own version of the brand. I've seen a new ad campaign on TV lately going on about how McD's entered the Australian market and how we came up with the McCafe concept that is now global. Yay us!

But... to understand the reason it's called Macca's here you need to understand the general cultural mentality that is unique to Australia. It's called apathy, you may have heard of it referred to as something else like the "relaxed Australian attitude" in an effort to make it sound nice or quaint or not shit.

Basically Australians shorten words wherever possible to make it easier to say them. McDonald's becomes Macca's, "the 7-Eleven" becomes "the seven", "good day" becomes "g'day" (on a side note: it's hilarious to hear foreigners trying to get "g'day" right.. just don't even try...)

I believe this "relaxed attitude" comes from the first white settlers. It's either a "thief" gene if such a thing exists, and if it doesn't, then from the fact that crime was an inherent and necessary way of life for those that were transported here, and that this mentality has been passed down to modern generations.
This mentality, where it's better or easier to steal, rather than to work has resulted in the "relaxed Australian mentality" of "everything's OK, you need a chill pill", "it's all good", and of course "she'll be right, mate" (which implies that no matter what happens, everything will work out for the best in the end, so there's no need to do anything).

Typically that mentality was personified by blue collar workers but does extend to every facet of Australian culture. We have mastered the tall poppy syndrome; it was seen as acceptable in workplaces that someone who worked hard should be ridiculed, punished or marginalized and it was generally accepted or expected to do "just enough" to keep your job.. Now, not so much but it's still there, you can see and hear it but being part of a global economy has dulled this a bit depending on where you work (which circles and the like)..

And.....I've heard USAians calling McDonalds "Mickey Dees" which to me makes no sense: it's not like the place is called Michael Donalds (Mick or Mickey being short for Michael). If anything you should be calling it MaccaDees or MackDees... Crazy USAians..

clickie

#13 Post by clickie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks for the two minute cultural lesson m8.

nausearockpig

#14 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:41 pm

You're welcome