Killing Joke

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Killing Joke

#76 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:42 pm

mockbee wrote: :bday: :banana: 7 days and counting...... :lostit:

Those new riffs sound good, maybe generic, but I thought that about the last album before it came out, and it was excellent!
Which show are you going to?

BTW, here's two previously unheard tracks off the Rarities cd:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/04 ... f-the-sun/

Pandemonium

#77 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 pm

It never fails with this band......

Apparently drummer Big Paul Ferguson has missed the Toronto 4/23 and tonight's Chicago shows. Jaz may have blown out his voice too. Here's a quick account from someone who saw tonight's show:

"Well. I don't know what I just saw.

And this is coming from someone who witnessed the infamous milwaukee show in 2003.

To their credit, they picked it up at the end. New drummer was ok but struggled at times. They tried to forego the encore and just go straight into "change" after "pandemonium" but youth walked off stage after geordie started. They eventually returned for two songs.

If its any consolation, jaz has lost his voice as well. I haven't heard him quack like this since 94. And he's got two more shows tomorrow."

I'm once again almost afraid to see what's in store for LA next weekend.

T.B.

mockbee

#78 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 am

Going to the Fillmore - SF.

great. :hs: :neutral:

Pandemonium

#79 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:45 am

Got word this morning Big Paul is scheduled to be back with the band the last 3 shows of the US leg next week so we're good. Apparently, he had some "personal issues" that he needed to take care of. The guy currently subbing is Jason Bowld as seen in this clip for a show he subbed in last year. Love the wildly flailing arms during the heavy parts of the song:

http://www.jasonbowld.com/biog.html

mockbee

Killing Joke

#80 Post by mockbee » Sat May 04, 2013 11:26 am

the show last night was great! :nod: Fillmore did not disappoint. There were a lot more people there than the regency show a couple years ago. Jaz's voice was really good. I think it helped to have a day off. The crowd was really into it as well. People were rocking out, obviously having a good time, all the way back to the soundboard by the middle/end of the show. Seemed to be mostly all old school fans, age 50+, anybody under 30 seemed to be somebody's kid or definitely a minority of people under 40. It was cool and cute at the same time to see a bunch of old original punks rocking out. I couldn't give you a full setlist, they played for over an hour and a half and I think the band thought they were done, but Youth coaxed them back to end with Bloodsport. Youth seemed to be pretty excited, expecting there to be loads of pot available being sf and all and made several requests to the audience. All he got was pelted with a bunch of unlit joints, which he seemed to be a little miffed about. :lol:
Hopefully they finish out strong.

Pandemonium

#81 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 04, 2013 3:16 pm

mockbee wrote:the show last night was great! :nod: Fillmore did not disappoint. There were a lot more people there than the regency show a couple years ago. Jaz's voice was really good. I think it helped to have a day off. The crowd was really into it as well. People were rocking out, obviously having a good time, all the way back to the soundboard by the middle/end of the show. Seemed to be mostly all old school fans, age 50+, anybody under 30 seemed to be somebody's kid or definitely a minority of people under 40. It was cool and cute at the same time to see a bunch of old original punks rocking out. I couldn't give you a full setlist, they played for over an hour and a half and I think the band thought they were done, but Youth coaxed them back to end with Bloodsport. Youth seemed to be pretty excited, expecting there to be loads of pot available being sf and all and made several requests to the audience. All he got was pelted with a bunch of unlit joints, which he seemed to be a little miffed about. :lol:
Hopefully they finish out strong.
Did they play Sun Goes Down and The Death and Resurrection Show? And most importantly, was Big Paul back behind the drum kit?

mockbee

#82 Post by mockbee » Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 pm

They played Sun Goes Down and D+RS (which was excellent, maybe highlight of the show. :bigrin: ) Also played Money is Not Our God and and i'm pretty sure, Beautiful Dead and many of the songs from the warmup setlist earlier in the thread, also extra Madness earlier in the set that really got people going. And Big Paul was behind the kit, he was awesome on Sun Goes Down.... :cool:

Pandemonium

#83 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 04, 2013 10:41 pm

mockbee wrote:They played Sun Goes Down and D+RS (which was excellent, maybe highlight of the show. :bigrin: ) Also played Money is Not Our God and and i'm pretty sure, Beautiful Dead and many of the songs from the warmup setlist earlier in the thread, also extra Madness earlier in the set that really got people going. And Big Paul was behind the kit, he was awesome on Sun Goes Down.... :cool:
Sounds excellent. Tomorrow night can't get here soon enough,

Pandemonium

#84 Post by Pandemonium » Mon May 06, 2013 2:05 am

For all the reports of inconsistent gigs on the North American leg this tour and drummer Big Paul missing a couple week's worth of shows, I am supremely happy to report tonight’s show at The Fonda in LA was excellent, probably the best show I've seen them do, period.

The opening band Czar was predictably terrible, a 3rd rate Lamb Of God downtuned cookie monster vox style band that was only surprising in demonstrating how loud and bottom-end heavy the Fonda’s excellent and loud as fuck sound system was. Killing Joke came on at about 10:20 opening with Requiem and right away I was impressed with the sound, by far sonically the best I’ve ever heard this band sound with a solid, tight low end yet Geordie’s guitar right up there in the mix. The band seemed in excellent spirits and even persistent monitor and amp mic problems with Geordies rig didn’t slow the band down at all. Jaz’ vox were strong the entire show and Youth was especially animated the entire night. And I can’t imagine seeing a show with someone subbing for Big Paul – he is so impressive every show I’ve seen him with the band.

We pretty much got every song they’ve been playing the last two months (except Follow The Leaders and Bloodsport) including both Chop-Chop and Empire Song as well Corporate Elect and European Superstate (which sounded much better than the 2010 show I saw). We also got a 5 song encore prefaced with a mention of Raven’s passing leading into Love Like Blood as well as The Death And Resurrection Show. I really thought we might get one more song out of them after closer Pssyche. The pacing was perfect and probably the two biggest high points was the magnificent performance of Sun Goes Down (the look on Jaz’s face when he realized they nailed it by the end of the song was priceless) followed by a storming “Eighties” (they seem to play it faster every tour) and a great version of TDARS in the middle of the encore.

As lackluster both the band and audience was at the depressingly half-full Wiltern Theater at the end of 2010 the last time they played here, tonight at the much smaller and better suited Fonda Theater had much better energy from both the band and the audience, especially up front. They didn’t sell tickets to the balcony which was closed off but the floor was pretty packed.

mockbee

#85 Post by mockbee » Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Sounds great, I was similarly impressed. :thumb:

Pandemonium

#86 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21 pm

A few things....

Their keyboard player Reza is selling a "live bootleg" compilation of songs from the 2013 US tour on his eBay website (ebayer: cryonica). It's a CD-R and a bit pricey at 18pounds UK but if it's anything like the 2012 live bootlegs which I have a couple of, it should sound great.

Almost predictably for these guys, they cancelled a festival date in CZ this August due to "serious family problems." It seems it's not Killing Joke unless they cancel a show or tour every year for some reason.

Also, there was an interesting bit buried in a recent magazine interview focusing mostly on former (and deceased) bassist Paul Raven. I found the bit about Ministry typical to everything I've heard from anyone even remotely connected to them.

"2003 was probably the darkest period of my life ever and probably everybody in the band, certainly Geordie and Raven. I'm not surprised one of us died actually...Raven and Youth were homeless...Everybody had been through hell by then. Everyone had drug and alcohol problems. There was lots of violence...I had such bad panic attacks. Geordie was not in a good way. Raven was really bad. Not only was he drinking with us but ever since we met Raven, he would flirt with heroin. When he went off with Ministry it was the fucking end of him."

"When Raven fucked off, I knew he was after something he left in his flat, so I fucking jimmied the window open to find out what Raven was after. He had been up to fucking monkey business in this place. All the tinfoil stuff that smackies use."

- Jaz 'Vive le Rock' magazine interview May/June 2013 Issue No. 12

Pandemonium

#87 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:33 am

Sounds like the next album is about finished and will be released later this year. There's also the "Death And Resurrection Show" film which is basically the history of the band that is getting scattered arthouse previews and should arrive on cable and home video after several years of languishing in a state of near-completeness. But for now, here's a decent half hour show that focus on drummer Big Paul:

mockbee

#88 Post by mockbee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:20 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Sounds like the next album is about finished and will be released later this year. There's also the "Death And Resurrection Show" film which is basically the history of the band that is getting scattered arthouse previews and should arrive on cable and home video after several years of languishing in a state of near-completeness. But for now, here's a decent half hour show that focus on drummer Big Paul:

I'd love to see the movie in a theater, does it even have any US release dates planned? Guess I could scrounge it up on video somehow.

I'm looking forward to the new album. I don't really see how they could top their last two though.

Which album do you think has withstood the test of time better, Absolute Dissent or MMXII?

Pandemonium

#89 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:49 pm

mockbee wrote:Which album do you think has withstood the test of time better, Absolute Dissent or MMXII?
I really like both albums but I think MMXII is the more consistent album. Absolute Dissent has greater highs but there's a few songs which I just don't care for. "The Raven King" sounds like KJ trying to do U2. AD could have been a virtually perfect album if several songs had been dropped (Depthcharge, Honour The Fire) and Sixth Sun from the album sessions had been included. MMXII features possibly the best "radio friendly" (whatever that's worth these days) single they've done since "Love Like Blood" with "In Cythera."

Pandemonium

#90 Post by Pandemonium » Wed May 06, 2015 9:53 am

Apparently Jaz Coleman is doing some sort of short, couple week spoken word/book reading club tour centered around his "Letters From Cythera" book he released about 3 years ago of the US over Summer. Tickets seem to be fairly cheap, under $20. Dates announced so far include:

Chicago - 7/26 Empty Bottle
San Diego - 7/27 The Casbah
San Francisco - 7/30
Portland - 8/2

mockbee

#91 Post by mockbee » Wed May 06, 2015 10:24 am

Pandemonium wrote:Apparently Jaz Coleman is doing some sort of short, couple week spoken word/book reading club tour centered around his "Letters From Cythera" book he released about 3 years ago of the US over Summer. Tickets seem to be fairly cheap, under $20. Dates announced so far include:

Chicago - 7/26 Empty Bottle
San Diego - 7/27 The Casbah
San Francisco - 7/30
Portland - 8/2
http://www.thechapelsf.com/event/847519 ... francisco/
Jaz Coleman discussing his personal memoirs through Killing Joke, mysticism, and the occult sciences.
I think I will go to this. I just hope it isn't to far out on the mysticism side of things, and that it isn't just me and Jaz sitting in an empty Chapel, staring at each other.

:scared:

Pandemonium

#92 Post by Pandemonium » Wed May 06, 2015 6:03 pm

It might be a challenging evening. Jaz loves his mysticism and conspiracy theories and he can ramble like nobody's business. His recent book is less about the band (and his own personal) history than his opinions on a whole range of worldy things. He did a similar thing back in the late 80's as a one-off "presentation" about Killing Jokes future album (which became "Outside The Gate") where at least he brought along Geordie who kind of played minimal musical backing while Jaz spoke:

I like Killing Joke as a band, but like a lot of other favorite bands, it's more the whole stew, not just one guy that draws me to them. For me, it would be like "A Lecture with~" Bono/Peter Murphy/David Lee Roth/Henry Rollins.... or Perry. Still, depending on the venue if there's even an LA date, I might be tempted just for something different.

Pandemonium

#93 Post by Pandemonium » Fri May 08, 2015 7:29 pm

The full list of both KJ and Jaz solo dates for Summer:

http://www.bandsintown.com/KillingJoke
May 16 Eurorock Festival Neerpelt, Belgium (Killing Joke)
Jun 12 Sideways Helsinki, Finland (Killing Joke)
Jun 17 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ St Pancras Church London, United Kingdom
Jun 19 Hellfest 2015 Clisson, France (Killing Joke)
Jul 19 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Latitude Festival Suffolk, United Kingdom
Jul 21 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ St Vitus Brooklyn, NY
Jul 22 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ The Middle East Boston, NY
Jul 24 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Metro Gallery Baltimore, MD
Jul 25 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Agora Ballroom Cleveland, OH
Jul 26 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Empty Bottle Chicago, IL
Jul 27 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Casbah San Diego, CA
Jul 29 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Regent Theater Los Angeles, CA
Jul 30 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ The Chapel San Francisco, CA
Aug 01 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ The Funhouse Seattle, WA
Aug 02 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Dante's Portland, OR
Aug 06 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Rebellion Festival Blackpool, United Kingdom
Sep 25 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Islington Assembley London, United Kingdom
Sep 28 Jaz Coleman 'Letters From Cythera' @ Glee Nottingham, United Kingdom

Pandemonium

#94 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:34 pm

They debuted a new song tonight at the "Metal Gods" award show (whatever that is):

mockbee

#95 Post by mockbee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:47 am

Don't know what I think of that. His new stuff (last couple albums) don't really play well live, but they are great tracks.

They're working on another album right?

Pandemonium

#96 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:37 am

mockbee wrote:Don't know what I think of that. His new stuff (last couple albums) don't really play well live, but they are great tracks.

They're working on another album right?
Yep. It's called "Pylon" and will be out around late September. Here's the tour dates and I think the album art for the UK:

Pandemonium

#97 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:31 pm

A few people on the Killing Joke mailing list went to one of the Jaz Coleman solo speaking events in the UK and Nicholas Fitzpatrick posted this review:

"First off, two items of news. Jaz and Geordie want to take 100 Gatherers to India at some point (October next year, I think) to complete a several-day pilgrimage around a holy mountain visiting various temples. I forget the name of the pilgrimage (it's called "Pradakshima"), but it is a well-established Hindu pilgrimage that takes place around a full moon.

“If you’re on the dole and can’t afford it, we’ll just find a way for you to go”.

Jaz said that him and Geordie wanted to act as “mentors” to the 100 to help them identify their inner genius. The idea is, IIRC, to then meet at the next full moon in the UK, and then again a year later to see how much life has changed.

Second item of news, is that Jaz plans to do more lectures around the country between tour dates.

The whole activity appears aimed at, as I say, helping those who want to, to identify their inner genius.

Last night was a game of two halves. The first half was about the New World Order and the various conspiracy-theory spokes that come out of that topic. So we heard that the 100-year-old Rockefeller is at the centre of the NWO and wants to finish his project before he dies. And we heard about FEMA camps, about vapour trails dropping nano worms, control of population through food supply, and fluoride in the water….

Frankly it was a bit of a ramble so a bit hard for me to put something down coherently about it. Perhaps others could do a better job.

Although it was moderately engaging in places, when the break came and I turned around to see that my two pals (who aren’t fans) had left early; I wasn’t surprised. You had to be very sympathetic to Jaz to sit through non-sourced and surely in some cases wildly exaggerated claims.

For example, he spoke of a US senator who did or found something out (can’t remember what it was but it was alarming), but he didn’t name the senator so how can that be verified? Why wouldn’t you name the senator? It just wreaks of pseudo-academic research.

Another example, this time of exaggeration: he mentioned that a member of KJ was close to Rockefeller and, by implication, has some great looking-hole into the whole conspiracy shebang.

Obviously he’s referring to BPF here… but c’mon, are we seriously expected to believe that BPF and Rockefeller are tight? Are we supposed to believe that Rockefeller, who knows presidents, prime ministers, celebrities and the other four people that run the universe, suddenly, in the very final years of his life, as he’s getting towards 100 and going to die, thinks to himself, ‘I know, I’m going to become really close to that guy there, the one who plays drums in a band. He once dusted down the toes of an ancient Buddha sculpture for my Foundation, where he works part-time along with 14,000 other people who I also don’t know. I’m going to let this guy into my inner sanctum and I’m going to tell him everything.’

Course he didn’t do that. Course he f-ing didn’t.

The second half I suppose dwelt a bit more on the spiritual, though again it’s a bit hard to sum it up as the road he steered through this topic had many turns, junctions, and needed resurfacing in places.

He ended though with a very nice reading and seemed moved as he left the stage quickly.

Forgive my somewhat negative review. I’m sure there’s lots I‘ve missed. It was as always a great privilege to sit in with Coleman and I think it’s great that he does these things.

He was in a friendly, relaxed mood and there were many flashes of humour.

About 5/10 for content.

8/10 for delivery."

mockbee

#98 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:24 pm

:lolol:

Sounds great! :hehe:

About what I expected. :thumb:

I don't know if my wife will have patience for this though, she'll say it's like listening to her dad talk. :noclue:

Better than listening to some airbag senator, though! :nod:

Pandemonium

#99 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:06 pm

mockbee wrote::lolol:

Sounds great! :hehe:

About what I expected. :thumb:

I don't know if my wife will have patience for this though, she'll say it's like listening to her dad talk. :noclue:

Better than listening to some airbag senator, though! :nod:
I'm still on the fence about this, not just because it's... the Jaz Monologue tour but because I fully expect the slate of US dates to get canceled or postponed at the last minute for no good reason which is par for the course for anything KJ related. Definitely going to be a game time decision.

mockbee

#100 Post by mockbee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about it selling out.

I wouldn't mind just sitting there for an hour or so......

just wouldn't want it to be him, me and the janitor waiting for us to wrap up though..... :scared: