Strays early version?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Larry B.

Re: Strays early version?

#26 Post by Larry B. » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:18 am

In case someone wants to hear just the original ending to True Nature: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236 ... ing....mp3

I remember this being the most beautiful thing in Hyperleaked, for me. Absolutely baffled that they cut it out from the official release.

janesbiggestfan

#27 Post by janesbiggestfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:08 pm

For me strays has little glimpses of genius and this is precisely why I'm so frustrated with Jane's. Just as the best parts of NS and RDLH far exceeded anything else that I ever heard by anyone else, they easily could have done more exceptional work. Both deconstruction, hard charger, Navarro's playing on OHM (outro to Deep Kick is some of the best playing in history; same as guitar work in the last 4 songs on that album; songwriting maybe not great but Navarro in stratosphere form), parts of both P4P albums, parts of Strays and parts of TGEA as well as these little snippets fron todd's youtube clips that didn't make it - all of these pieces of music had the potential to be absolutely peerless and unmatched genius. But they simply fucked it up. Thats why I hate them now. I dont hate bands that were always meh and never had the potential for god like genius. Janes had this as the only ensable im aware of (except for Greg Dulli) and they fucking blew it...

coffeepotman

#28 Post by coffeepotman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Larry B. wrote:In case someone wants to hear just the original ending to True Nature: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236 ... ing....mp3

I remember this being the most beautiful thing in Hyperleaked, for me. Absolutely baffled that they cut it out from the official release.

That's the same version that's on the Hypersonic release, which by the way I've been listening to a lot lately and it is much better than Strays. I probably wont be listening to Strays for another 15 years.

coffeepotman

#29 Post by coffeepotman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:17 pm

creep wrote:i know there are two versions of the leaked album.

these also have martyn on them before chris chaney came in and re recorded them.

one of them also had "bring the mood" on it.

So there are two versions of this album, do you mean Strays and then Hypersonic and another version? Cause Hypersonic isn't that bad, it's not great but it's like comparing Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet to Dirty Work or Steel Wheels by the Stones. You just can't compare works of greatness to latter day works. ACDC will never reach the height of Back in Black again, Dylan will never do another Blood on the Tracks, the list goes on and on.

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:20 pm

coffeepotman wrote:
creep wrote:i know there are two versions of the leaked album.

these also have martyn on them before chris chaney came in and re recorded them.

one of them also had "bring the mood" on it.

So there are two versions of this album, do you mean Strays and then Hypersonic and another version? Cause Hypersonic isn't that bad, it's not great but it's like comparing Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet to Dirty Work or Steel Wheels by the Stones. You just can't compare works of greatness to latter day works. ACDC will never reach the height of Back in Black again, Dylan will never do another Blood on the Tracks, the list goes on and on.
yes two versions of "hypersonic".

does yours have bring the mood?

coffeepotman

#31 Post by coffeepotman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Yes, song number one.

By the way I can post it if it's cool to do such things on the board.

creep
Site Admin

#32 Post by creep » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:16 pm

coffeepotman wrote:Yes, song number one.

By the way I can post it if it's cool to do such things on the board.
yeah go for it.

tubro

#33 Post by tubro » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:27 pm

i remember getting the leaked album a day or two before the irving plaza show, which seemed optimistic at the time. they played a bunch of new songs. played hard. had fun. heavily downhill from there, of course. but credit where due - there was a pretty nice buzz when the leak came out and the irving show happened. i also recall going to the carson daly show the day before where they played a 3 song set, and expecting martyn and wondering who this studio musician looking boring but professional bass player was. wife and i were a foot or two away from navarro and couldn't believe how tiny and feminine he was or how much time he spent looking at himself in the mirror.

also - thought i was familiar with everything they've ever played but somehow i missed the fact that they covered the clash at those couple of shows at the end of 02. anyone got a link to an audio and/or video version of that? i liked the perry-less who and floyd covers earlier that year.

kv

#34 Post by kv » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:04 pm

Clash song was done because Joe had just died

coffeepotman

#35 Post by coffeepotman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:28 am

Here ya go, Hypersonic....http://www.filefactory.com/file/39m660s ... rsonic.rar

I'll put it in the trade download section also.

If anybody has the other version of the leaked album I'd love to hear it.

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:27 am

coffeepotman wrote:Here ya go, Hypersonic....http://www.filefactory.com/file/39m660s ... rsonic.rar

your "bring the mood" is "everybody's friend"

i looked last night and i can't find my cd's of the two versions. where is drifter? maybe he can upload both.

tubro

#37 Post by tubro » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:29 am

kv wrote:Clash song was done because Joe had just died
so perry sings a mick jones song.

coffeepotman

#38 Post by coffeepotman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:29 am

creep wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:Here ya go, Hypersonic....http://www.filefactory.com/file/39m660s ... rsonic.rar

your "bring the mood" is "everybody's friend"

i looked last night and i can't find my cd's of the two versions. where is drifter? maybe he can upload both.
My Bad, I uploaded what I got sorry, just looked at the title

drifter

#39 Post by drifter » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 pm

I fu*king love mick jones, gave up rem tics to see BAD '91 in a small club here in vegas
https://soundcloud.com/mozzbozz/should- ... -addiction :kv:

drifter

#40 Post by drifter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:59 am

from 'some divers whistle' http://defgav.com/sdw/recording/

hypersonic/strays demos"
Date: circa March/April 2002
Musicians: Perry Farrell (v), Dave Navarro (g), Stephen Perkins (d), Martyn LeNoble (b)
Producer: Perry Farrell?
Tracks recorded:
Suffer Some
Hypersonic
To Match The Sun
Everybody's Friend
Bring The Mood
True Nature
Additional notes: After the 2001 Jane's tour with Martyn LeNoble on bass, the guys to headed into the studio to work on new material in March of 2002. Popping up online in early 2008, these early demos are very raw compared to the finished versions that were eventually released. Many fans complained producer Bob Ezrin's slick sound did a disservice to the songs on Strays, but in these rough demos, that sheen isn't clouding the songs.
Here's a quote from Martyn LeNoble:

Bob Ezrin didn't really understand Jane's Addiction musically. I remember arguing with him, "Like man, have you listened to Ritual?" He goes, "Frankly, I can't get through it. I think it sounds horrible. I'm going to make this a real rock band instead of an art rock band." Well, he succeeded. He took all the magic out of it. He made a rock record. The most magical moments on the Jane's Addiction records are the quiet little adventures to the left, and, of course Eric's magic bass. Eric Avery is the man.One song from these demos, "Bring The Mood", didn't make the cut for the album and has not been officially released.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/s94241

"hypersonic/strays sessions"
Date: circa mid 2002-early 2003
Musicians: Perry Farrell (v), Dave Navarro (g), Stephen Perkins (d), Chris Chaney (b)
Additional Musicians: John Shanks (mandolin); Scott Page (saxophone); Bob Ezrin (keyboards, percussion); Aaron Embry (keyboards, kalimba); Zack Ray (keyboards); Mike Finnegan (organ); Brendan Hawkins, Joe Bishara, Brian Virtue (programming); Donna Brooks-Jackson, Kim Hill (background vocals); Martyn LeNoble (bass.. though his parts were all re-done by Chris Chaney on the finished version.)
Producer: Bob Ezrin and Brian Virtue
Tracks recorded:
True Nature
Strays
Just Because
The Price I Pay
The Riches
Superhero
Wrong Girl
Everybody's Friend
Suffer Some
Hypersonic
To Match The Sun
..plus a few more... possibly:
Bring The Mood
Cling to You
Additional notes: The recording sessions for Jane's comeback album, tentatively called Hypersonic at the time, but later changed to Strays. Martyn LeNoble was fired in Summer 2003 and replaced by Chris Chaney, who Perry and Bob Ezrin had re-recorded Martyn's bass parts. Perry said the tracks were all recorded "live band" with overdubs done later. According to MTV News, Jane's "completed around 20 songs for the album. They're currently [Dec '02] mixing the completed tracks, then they'll pare down the material to an album's worth of songs. Leftover cuts may surface on future soundtracks or compilations."
Some early mixes leaked to the net months before the CD release. Known to fans as "Hyperleaked", notable differences on this recording include an ending section to "True Nature" that was taken off the finished version. Inversely, the leaked version of "The Riches" is shorter, missing the ending that's on the finished CD. There are smaller differences to many of the other tracks as well: different guitar solos, extended intros / outros, different mix, etc. One album cut, "Wrong Girl", was not among the initial leaked tracks.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/w5g14l

creep
Site Admin

#41 Post by creep » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:36 am

thanks drifter
creep wrote:i have such a bad memory....but wasn't there another strays era song that leaked that had a dog barking in the beginning just like bcs??
ok...it was bring the mood. trying to recapture that dog barking magic. :conf:

coffeepotman

#42 Post by coffeepotman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:47 am

Whoa...this is cool! Thank you!

Larry B.

#43 Post by Larry B. » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:12 am

creep wrote:thanks drifter
creep wrote:i have such a bad memory....but wasn't there another strays era song that leaked that had a dog barking in the beginning just like bcs??

Fuck me, I had forgotten how shitty this song was.

Noonesshocking

#44 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:43 am

creep wrote:thanks drifter

I actually like this more than anything that made the album. It's playful and kinda weird and has a lot of space.

autumnan

#45 Post by autumnan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:04 pm

This was a pretty interesting thread, although for me it just confirmed the worst. Again.

I seem to remember getting the Hyperleaked version and hadn't heard the Martyn demo versions until now.

With the exception of Martyn's tone and attack, it's all just 'Janes by numbers'. Bring the mood especially appears to be a blatant attemp to recreate Been Caught Stealing (the bass line is the best thing about it) and every other track just sounds like a musically lazy attempt to approximate their own sound. Dave's parts, not being built around the hypnotic clatter of an Avery riff, are left to tread a well worn rock road, his own musical cliches with Jane's cliches tacked on to try and recapture the brand.

What they really cannot capture though is the sense of a band. It all feels artificial and staged.

In a sense I think Ezrin was right to remould them as a straight rock band because they just didn't have any of that artfulness and anti-establishment friction. It may even be worse, as a Janes pastiche, than the more 'truthful' album that came out. When you remember that DN was a metal kid, reproducing someone else's parts with a license to solo (that's a bit unfair I know, but 2/3 of the truth), it makes sense that Strays was a better rock album than a Janes album. The passion in these demos is in Dave's hard riffin' and, when he's allowed, Martyn's response to the aggression in those riffs. Perry's input has none of the wide-eyed, acid fried wonder of his street poetic past and even Perk is phoning it in.

It just goes to show that a great band is all about its chemistry. Take one ingredient away and no matter how much you try to replicate what you had, you can never recapture the outcomes of the original formula. 1.0 is the 'true nature'.

kv

#46 Post by kv » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:14 pm

yep

JOEinPHX

#47 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Here's the thing:

I think that if left to do whatever Dave wants to do, Dave is going to create whatever he is into at the moment. At that moment, he wanted to rock.

On TGEA he was in charge again and actually went in a more atmospheric place, especially if you consider the instrumentals that weren't used.

So it really is an indication that Eric needs to be the groundwork of this band. The bass needs to lead and the guitar needs to fill in the space. Because otherwise Dave is going to make the songs he wants to make. Which is fine, his instrumentals don't suck, but Jane's was always about the 4 members. So with Eric checked out, and Perry clearly not giving a shit, and Perk settling into boringness, and Chaney being a session guy who does whatever he's told... that means 100% of the sound fell on Dave whereas in the past he was only responsible for 25%

For Jane's to be successful, it needs to be 100% participation. And that will never happen ever again.

creep
Site Admin

#48 Post by creep » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:36 pm

strays was way better than tgea. :tiphat:

JOEinPHX

#49 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:39 pm

I think they have equal footing depending on your mood.

kv

#50 Post by kv » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:43 pm

hey both suck and i couldnt care less if i ever heard a single song off either ever again