How to avoid getting killed in Mexico

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
perkana

Re: How to avoid getting killed in Mexico

#76 Post by perkana » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:55 am

Haven't watched it. Found out there's a new one out this year about autodefense groups like in Michoacán. It looks good.

Bandit72

#77 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:09 am

That looks great. I'll see if I can find it.

perkana

#78 Post by perkana » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:05 pm

How about how to be a Mexican and avoid getting killed elsewhere? e.g.Egypt :neutral:

Everybody's Friend

#79 Post by Everybody's Friend » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:39 pm

perkana wrote:How about how to be a Mexican and avoid getting killed elsewhere? e.g.Egypt :neutral:
Out of the frying pan into the fire. :hehe:

Bandit72

#80 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:46 am

perkana wrote:Haven't watched it. Found out there's a new one out this year about autodefense groups like in Michoacán. It looks good.or army
I watched this yesterday on iPlayer. It's excellent. Fair play to the autodefensa. I would rather have them than the police or army upholding the law.

Bandit72

#81 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Guzman back in jail. Shall we have a sweepstake to see for how long?

perkana

#82 Post by perkana » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:42 am

That jail is home to him, he comes and goes as he pleases.

mockbee

#83 Post by mockbee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:26 am

Didn't know where to put this....but, woah!

What do you think of this guy perkana?

I'm aware you're not hot on US taking bold actions with affairs of mexico, but do you see this as an exception?

Mexico’s Former Defense Minister Is Arrested in Los Angeles

Gen. Salvador Cienfuegos was detained at the airport at the request of the D.E.A. and will face drug and money-laundering charges, a federal law enforcement official said.

By Azam Ahmed

Oct. 16, 2020Updated 2:04 a.m. ET

MEXICO CITY — A former Mexican defense minister was arrested on Thursday night after arriving at Los Angeles International Airport with his family, according to the Mexican government, becoming the first high-ranking military official to be taken into custody in the United States in connection with drug-related corruption in his country.

The former official, Gen. Salvador Cienfuegos, who was Mexico’s defense minister from 2012 to 2018, was arrested by American officials at the request of the Drug Enforcement Administration and will face drug and money-laundering charges in the United States, according to a federal law enforcement official in New York.

The news not only casts a pall over the nation’s fight against organized crime, it also underscores the forces of corruption that touch the highest levels of Mexico’s government. General Cienfuegos was defense minister throughout the administration of former President Enrique Peña Nieto.

“There has never been a minister of defense in Mexico arrested,” said Jorge Castañeda, a former Mexican foreign minister. “The minister of defense in Mexico is a guy that not only runs the army and is a military man, but he reports directly to the president. There is no one above him except the president.”

The exact charges that General Cienfuegos will face were not immediately clear, and Drug Enforcement Administration officials did not respond to requests for comment.

General Cienfuegos served as defense minister at a time when homicides spiked to historic levels and drug cartels waged war.

“This is a huge deal” said Alejandro Madrazo, a professor at CIDE, a university in Mexico City. “The military has become way more corrupt and way more abusive since the war on drugs was declared, and for the first time they may not be untouchable — but not by the Mexican government, by the American government.”

Mexico’s military has played a central role in public security since the crackdown on the drug cartels began in 2006, deploying soldiers to regions overrun by organized crime. The secretary of defense oversees that effort.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/us/m ... s-dea.html

perkana

#84 Post by perkana » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:43 am

Who says that?
This guy and others are being seeked by the DEA, good for them. He deserves it. But it seems that this guy has ties with people over there so who knows if he will be punished. They've been saying that he's too old to serve life in prison. I say fuck him.
What I'm not ok is with the US violating our sovereignity (as in coup d'etat)

mockbee

#85 Post by mockbee » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:56 am

That's what I thought.

Didn't know if this guy was still affiliated with official/current Mexican affairs, thus making it a US intervention. Don't know that backstory, but hopefully he gets prosecuted and pays for his crimes.

clickie

#86 Post by clickie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:20 am

That guy looks pretty evil

perkana

#87 Post by perkana » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:20 pm

mockbee wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:56 am
That's what I thought.

Didn't know if this guy was still affiliated with official/current Mexican affairs, thus making it a US intervention. Don't know that backstory, but hopefully he gets prosecuted and pays for his crimes.
Nope, he was in Peña Nieto's government. I've been reading a book called "El traidor" (https://www.amazon.com/traidor-diario-s ... 1644731509) in which Mayo Zambada's son Vicente describes meetings with this guy and others in Los Pinos (the ex presidential residence). He even began dealing with drug cartels even before under Felipe Calderón's presidency.
Don't know if you have read about the missing Ayotzinapa students. This guy covered army members that were involved in their disappearance. He's a fucker.

mockbee

#88 Post by mockbee » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:51 pm

All things Mexico adjacent here I suppose....

25 people inside one SUV......holy crap. :scared:

I'm afraid border problems are only going to be escalating. I hope not. :sad:

At Least 13 Killed in Crash in Southern California, Officials Say

The crash, involving an S.U.V. and a tractor-trailer, took place near Holtville, Calif., about 40 miles west of the Arizona border.

There were 25 people inside the S.U.V. when it was struck by a tractor-trailer early Tuesday morning, the authorities said.

By Christine Hauser, Miriam Jordan and Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs

March 2, 2021Updated 3:17 p.m. ET

At least 13 people were killed on Tuesday morning when a tractor-trailer slammed into the side of an S.U.V. that was carrying more than two dozen people in Southern California, the authorities said.

The crash took place just after 6 a.m. local time on the outskirts of Holtville, Calif., about 42 miles west of the Arizona border and near the border with Mexico, Omar Watson, the chief of the California Highway Patrol’s border division, said at a news conference.

Chief Watson said the tractor-trailer had been traveling north along State Route 115 when the driver of the S.U.V., a maroon Ford Expedition, pulled into its path. The tractor-trailer struck the S.U.V. on the driver’s side, which caused several passengers to be thrown from vehicle, he said.

There were 25 people inside the S.U.V., Chief Watson said, and 12 were dead when police arrived on the scene shortly after 6:15 a.m. One more died at a hospital, bringing the total fatalities to 13, two fewer than hospital officials had reported earlier on Tuesday.

“Some people were ejected onto the pavement, onto the ground, and passed away,” he said. “Other people were found deceased inside the vehicle.”