We recorded a demo

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Mescal

Re: We recorded a demo

#26 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:34 am

Larry B. wrote:Change the band's name, even if you don't want to take over the world. It's one of those novelty-sounding names that's embarrassing to say. I was in a band with a particularly poor-chosen name and even when we were on the radio either the presenter would get the name wrong or you could feel their embarrassment when saying our name.

But since my criticisms are constructive, here are some ideas:

The Sun
Mein
Main Mine
Baby Gorilla Loves His Momma
The March

I bet you loved Baby Gorilla Loves His Momma. No wonder you like fucking Beaten By Hippies...

:bday:
I don't see where any of the names you suggest are better than Beaten By Hippies in any way.

kv

#27 Post by kv » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:37 am

i like you mescal...so it's with love i give you my thoughts :lolol:

i hate almost everything about it...you may be the strong suit in this band...everything else just makes me think of all the shitty bands that came after grunge hit that were so derivative with adding nothing to the mix...candlebox comes screaming to mind...i fucking hated them too

i bit my tongue with my thoughts a week ago...but after another listen and checking to make sure see you asked for thoughts... :noclue:

just one old dudes thoughts to the mix....thanks for sharing and best of luck :tiphat:

Mescal

#28 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:30 am

kv wrote:i like you mescal...so it's with love i give you my thoughts :lolol:

i hate almost everything about it...you may be the strong suit in this band...everything else just makes me think of all the shitty bands that came after grunge hit that were so derivative with adding nothing to the mix...candlebox comes screaming to mind...i fucking hated them too

i bit my tongue with my thoughts a week ago...but after another listen and checking to make sure see you asked for thoughts... :noclue:

just one old dudes thoughts to the mix....thanks for sharing and best of luck :tiphat:
Any other comment would have surprised me :lol:

Glad to hear someone appreciates the bass player!

When I posted a demo of my previous band someone (I think it was you, but not sure) made the some comment. Something like, this sounds like any crappy post grunge type band.

So maybe I am the weak link ;)

kv

#29 Post by kv » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:47 am

aww fuck...twice now? damn oh well at least i am consistent...just take my thoughts with a bucket of salt

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:35 am

it's only fair now that kv posts his music to be evaluated. you are in a band now aren't you?

kv

#31 Post by kv » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:22 am

a couple atm but i don't care what anyone thinks...just ask the people i play with lol

tastes are tastes...when i was younger i'd annoy the fuck outa everyone...make them listen to everything i ever did

Larry B.

#32 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:03 am

kv wrote:a couple atm but i don't care what anyone thinks...
Well, since you don't care, post some of your music then. Or "you don't care" as in "I am a fucking chicken"?

Mescal

#33 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:15 am

kv wrote:a couple atm but i don't care what anyone thinks...just ask the people i play with lol

tastes are tastes...when i was younger i'd annoy the fuck outa everyone...make them listen to everything i ever did
one might argue you still annoy the fuck outa everyone :noclue:

Mescal

#34 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:16 am

Are you that really good drummer, Kv?

kv

#35 Post by kv » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:42 am

ya ya honesty comes with a price...what i meant to say is holy shit i love your music it's awesome!

and i suck as a drummer and everything i have ever made sucks :tiphat:

Mescal

#36 Post by Mescal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 am

kv wrote:ya ya honesty comes with a price...what i meant to say is holy shit i love your music it's awesome!

The opportunity to jab was just ... there ... too easy

Didn't have anything to do with your criticism. But why would you care :)

Larry B.

#37 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:53 am

kv wrote:ya ya honesty comes with a price...what i meant to say is holy shit i love your music it's awesome!

... i.e., you do care what people think about it but you hide behind the "I don't care" excuse. Pretty much what most people did when they were 19 years old.

You little slut. Post your shit.

kv

#38 Post by kv » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:24 pm

It's almost working Larry...one more insult and I'll be forced to prove you wrong

Larry B.

#39 Post by Larry B. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 am

kv wrote:It's almost working Larry...one more insult and I'll be forced to prove you wrong
Do it already, you dick-slurping sack of shit.

Hype

#40 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Mescal wrote:

When I posted a demo of my previous band someone (I think it was you, but not sure) made the some comment. Something like, this sounds like any crappy post grunge type band.

The thing is... Easily sounds easily like a Godsmack song, but without the sexy low-end in the guttural vocal. I kept hearing "keep away from me...":

So, I think it's a fair criticism... but if you like the music you're making, that criticism shouldn't matter. So you sound like stuff some people don't like... it only matters if you don't want to sound like that. :noclue:

Oh yeah, as for the name, I think Beaten By Hippies is fine, but I think Candlesmack might suit it better.

Hype

#41 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Hype wrote:
Mescal wrote:

The thing is... Easily sounds easily like a Godsmack song, but without the sexy low-end in the guttural vocal. I kept hearing "keep away from me...":

So, I think it's a fair criticism... but if you like the music you're making, that criticism shouldn't matter. So you sound like stuff some people don't like... it only matters if you don't want to sound like that. :noclue:

Oh yeah, as for the name, I think Beaten By Hippies is fine, but I think Candlesmack might suit it better.
I do have a question though: who signed your bass?

Mescal

#42 Post by Mescal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:09 am

Yeah well, we've been using the name Beaten By Hippies for a few years now ... so it stays. Thanks for the suggestion thought :)

And obviously I like the music I'm playing, or I wouldn't be playing it. I play music because I like to, and because I like the guys in the band. For me it's a valuable use of my time. I don't play music to attain world domination or something. So fair game if people don't like the music we're playing ... I don't really care (well I do of course, but you understand what I mean).

Bass is signed by Nick Oliveri, Brant Bjork and John Garcia. Only missing Josh Homme, but it might be a bit harder to come by. But who knows. I changed basses btw. Been playing the 'signed' bass since 1996, so it was time for a change.

Mescal

#43 Post by Mescal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:13 am

Mescal

#44 Post by Mescal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:15 am

there it is, my current setup.

1977 Music Man Stingray (with a new and greatly done refinish job).

1969 Ampeg SVG Blueline

80's? Homemade 4 x 15'' cabinet

kv

#45 Post by kv » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 am

looks fun

Hype

#46 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Oh, yeah, the other thing I was going to say is: at least the negative comments are just matters of taste. You guys are musically competent, professional, etc!

Mescal

#47 Post by Mescal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 pm

kv wrote:looks fun
It is.

Massive sound :cool:

Mescal

#48 Post by Mescal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Hype wrote:Oh, yeah, the other thing I was going to say is: at least the negative comments are just matters of taste. You guys are musically competent, professional, etc!
Thank you :tiphat:

Not really professional though ... but thanks

Anyway, we're gonna record a full album at the beginning of next year

Larry B.

#49 Post by Larry B. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:32 pm

That's pretty cool. Any label involved, or are you doing this by yourselves? Can I put $0.35 towards a crowdfunding campaign?

Mescal

#50 Post by Mescal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Do labels still pay for bands to record a cd?

So yeah, any crowdfunding would be welcome :lol: (or one bitcoin would do the trick) But I doubt the world is waiting for our cd