Um, can I ask you guys a question?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
SR

Re: Um, can I ask you guys a question?

#51 Post by SR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:44 am

SR wrote:Just went to authorize my iTunes and apparently I have to locate an old compute to de-authorize it. Hope I can find one. :banghead: :banghead:
Is there anything the internet can't tell you? :thumb:

SR

#52 Post by SR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 am

Ok, now taking recommendations on virus defense software.

Larry B.

#53 Post by Larry B. » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:36 am

Hype will tell you how all anti-virus software are pointless and how you're better off with Windows Defender and several add-ons for your browser. And that 5 years ago, the anti-virus he had was the best ever conceived by human kind, but now they sold out to some stupid company and it's not worth it anymore. But he still has it on his old Lenovo, which is a tank and the best laptop ever crafted by a brillant ape.

SR

#54 Post by SR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 am

Does that mean I am good with what came pre-installed? :lol:http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... p-2015-uk/ This article has at the top of the list many that I heard to stay away from

Hype

#55 Post by Hype » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:00 am

I did already say that you can probably get away with just using Windows Defender, which doesn't apply to Macs, obviously. But here's a link: http://www.tomsguide.com/t/antivirus/

nausearockpig

#56 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:52 am

I use AVG (paid, not free), Anti-Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware all together with no complaints so far.

Artemis

#57 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:46 am

Good Afternoon,

I use Google chrome, and just now on my Facebook I got a yellow bar which says "Adobe Flash Player is out of date. " with the option to update plug-in or run this time.

Adobe Flash has been in the news lately about hacking. I don't know if I should update the plug-in or not.

What about HTML5 ?

Artemis

#58 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Artemis wrote:Good Afternoon,

I use Google chrome, and just now on my Facebook I got a yellow bar which says "Adobe Flash Player is out of date. " with the option to update plug-in or run this time.

Adobe Flash has been in the news lately about hacking. I don't know if I should update the plug-in or not.

What about HTML5 ?

Nevermind...I've sorted it out. :tiphat:

Hype

#59 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:26 am

There's been a lot of talk of switching (back) to Firefox because of how bloated and crashy Chrome has become. It does really take over if you use Hangouts/Now and set it to load at startup, and have too many extensions. Firefox is now officially blocking Flash by default, so if you're worried about viruses, etc., it's probably worth switching (you can copy all your bookmarks, history, etc., over).

Flash will be gone in a few years. It's really only still around so that we can view shitty early 2000s intro/splash pages (or Jane's Addiction's entire website ca. 2003).

But if you still use Chrome, you *should* always update plugins, because these are often security updates.

Artemis

#60 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks,Hype!

I updated everything yesterday and all seems to be in order.

Larry B.

#61 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:42 am

I bought myself a Mac Mini, should arrive in a few days. I'm a bit excited and worried about the transition, but hopefully it should be fine. The PC I bought 2 or 3 years ago is now all manners of fucked up because of Firefox, Chrome and some stupid Windows Updates that the system somehow installed on its own (I had obviously disabled them as soon as I installed Windows 7) and that I cannot uninstall. Fuck that shit.

Artemis

#62 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:12 am

Widgets??

I came across this on a website I was just looking at:
Widget Area

Please login and add some widgets to this widget area.

What does it mean, please? :oldtimer:

mockbee

#63 Post by mockbee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 am

Artemis wrote:Widgets??

I came across this on a website I was just looking at:
Widget Area

Please login and add some widgets to this widget area.

What does it mean, please? :oldtimer:
All I can say is whenever I see the word 'widget', I think of fidgety midgets.

Hope that helps....? :noclue:

Hype

#64 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:42 am

Widgets are basically just any small app/application designed to add a single function (or small set of functions) to an already existing application or platform... so you could consider a clock or weather app you add to your desktop a 'widget'. In fact, Windows had a whole thing around this called 'Gadgets' which were basically widgets, but this has been discontinued.

Artemis

#65 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Widgets are basically just any small app/application designed to add a single function (or small set of functions) to an already existing application or platform... so you could consider a clock or weather app you add to your desktop a 'widget'. In fact, Windows had a whole thing around this called 'Gadgets' which were basically widgets, but this has been discontinued.

I remember the Gadgets. Thanks Spina, I understand what the widgets are now. :tiphat:

nausearockpig

#66 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Artemis wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Widgets are basically just any small app/application designed to add a single function (or small set of functions) to an already existing application or platform... so you could consider a clock or weather app you add to your desktop a 'widget'. In fact, Windows had a whole thing around this called 'Gadgets' which were basically widgets, but this has been discontinued.

I remember the Gadgets. Thanks Spina, I understand what the widgets are now. :tiphat:
I preferred when widgets were a fictional item used in a business discussion, rather than an actual thing....

Artemis

#67 Post by Artemis » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Do people still say "jiggy"?

I was listening to a song on youtube and one of the comments was " this song jiggy as fuck".
The comment was from 5 months ago. I don't know all the latest lingo or anything, but I thought "jiggy" would have been passé by now. :lol: :noclue:

Hype

#68 Post by Hype » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 pm

I think it's now used with a different meaning: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jiggy

Defs (3) and (4) seem not to have anything to do with the Will Smith song.

Bandit72

#69 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 pm

I thought I'd use this thread as a tech thread. Has anyone on here got or had experience with an AppleWatch or another high end smart watch? I'm after a fitness watch and have, over the past two or three days, researched Fitbit, Polar, Garmin, TomTom etc.... Some obviously do the job (and more) that I'm after. Thing is they're 'not' that far off the price of a smart watch which obviously has even more function, and they also look pretty shit. I understand it's not a fashion statement, but would like some feed back.

Should I hang on for the AppleWatch 2? Or the latest Android?

Anyone.....anyone....Bueller

Pandemonium

#70 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Bandit72 wrote:I thought I'd use this thread as a tech thread. Has anyone on here got or had experience with an AppleWatch or another high end smart watch? I'm after a fitness watch and have, over the past two or three days, researched Fitbit, Polar, Garmin, TomTom etc.... Some obviously do the job (and more) that I'm after. Thing is they're 'not' that far off the price of a smart watch which obviously has even more function, and they also look pretty shit. I understand it's not a fashion statement, but would like some feed back.

Should I hang on for the AppleWatch 2? Or the latest Android?

Anyone.....anyone....Bueller
My wife has a Fitbit Flex mostly to monitor how much walking she does at the mall every day (roughly 3 miles per day) and her sleep patterns. I don't believe it monitors heart rate but the higher end models do. It shows stuff like calories burned in a specific time frame and syncs up with the app to manage data on either her iPad or iPhone. She likes it because it's pretty simple, no frills, small on her wrist and has proven to be pretty reliable.

Artemis

#71 Post by Artemis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Is a toilet seat easy to change or do I need to find a handyperson?

Also, my bathroom door is unhinged. Do you think that can be repaired or will I have to get a new door too??

creep
Site Admin

#72 Post by creep » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:30 pm

toilet seats are super easy. two screws with two nut thingys. make sure you buy the right seat. it is ether standard or elongated. if it is an older toiled probably standard.

your door pic did not show up.

Artemis

#73 Post by Artemis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks, creep! I thought the seat would be something I could do myself.

Can you see the pic now?

creep
Site Admin

#74 Post by creep » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:51 pm

yeah that can be repaired. most bathroom doors are light (hollow) so you can first try longer and slightly bigger screws. should be able to hold the door just fine.

you should be able to do that yourself too.

Artemis

#75 Post by Artemis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:55 pm

:tiphat: