Britain leaves E.U.

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Britain leaves E.U.

#1 Post by mockbee » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:27 am

Uhhhh... doesn't this deserve it's own thread...? :noclue:

There's only so much room for Donald Trump and US election threads here. :drink:

You Brits are too modest. :lol:

Are any of you in favor of exiting?

What's with that Norfolk and Lincolnshire area?....they were strongly in favor....I've never even heard of any places around there. :noclue:

Larry B.

Re: Britain leaves E.U.

#2 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:04 am

Immigrant living in the UK here...

We were left quite baffled by the result, but with how the media works here it shouldn't be as surprising. Most "well educated" people voted to Remain, but places like Wales and Norfolk...

But joking aside, the conservative media is obviously the biggest responsible in this. There are no real drawbacks to being in the EU. The whole discussion around immigration (with people supposedly abusing the welfare system and that shit) is ludicrous. Even if we accept that an arbitrary number of people are indeed abusing the system (we'd need to define "abuse" in the first place, but alright), is that really messing up the country? 20,000 people are going to the GP twice per month instead of once every couple of months, is that really destroying your country??

According to the BBC, England "strongly supported" the exit (53.8%), while Scotland simply "supported" Remain (62.5%). Since when a 54% of the support merits the adjective "strongly"?

To make matters worse, Trump is in Scotland.

:jasper:

SR

#3 Post by SR » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:24 am

eu.jpg
eu.jpg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 11702 times
This was shared by Shirley Manson on her fb page....

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 am

This will have huge and profound effects for decades to come. Who knows if it will be as dire as some are predicting but in the short term, there is a big "the sky is falling mentality being propagated in the media. Already, Ireland and Scotland (again) are grumbling about pushing for independence from the UK. I do think in the following 5 - 10 years, we'll see more countries pulling (and maybe being pushed out) out as well as some of those country's economies totally collapsing.

It's obvious why this has happened though. It's a knee jerk reaction to many disenfranchised people who've come to view the march towards globalization as a bad thing. A significant percentage of the population see the basically unrestricted immigration (especially in light of 21st century terrorism), become a "welfare" country, "propping up" weaker EU economies like Greece and Italy, wanting more independence from EU law and failure of their politicians to intelligently get a handle on all these long-brewing problems.

In the short term, this should serve as a cold warning to us here in the US that there's is likely a significantly larger then expected population that will similarly react in knee-jerk fashion to rebel against the status quo on the November election.

Bandit72

#5 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 am

I'm totally shocked and a bit pissed off to be honest. Yes it's a democracy (yawn) and I know that a lot of the older voters aren't racist and xenophobic. BUT, the main places that voted out are poorer areas where they see immigrants as a 'threat'. Not physically but on a social and financial level, and the out campaign totally rammed it down their throats.

'We can't get housing' or 'we don't get paid enough for what we do' or we can't get jobs' etc... You get the gist.

I don't buy the 'financially we'll be better off' bull shit. We won't be. Another lie they've sold. This was from 9am this morning...

- The pound has plummeted to a 30 year low
- Japanese stock market has crashed 8% and suspended trading
- Confirmation of another Scottish independence referendum
- Calls for an Irish reunification referendum
- Far-right nationalists across Europe now calling for referendums and the demise of the EU
- Hundreds of UK pension funds underwater
- FTSE is expected to open 10% down (the bankers knocked 8% off in the 2007 financial crash, so this is big)
- German DAX market expected to open 10% down
- HSBC is worth £10bn less since yesterday
- S&P has announced that UK now likely to lose its AAA credit rating
- In two hours (as of 7am) the UK economy has lost over £255bn, the equivalent of 40 years' worth of EU contributions
- Our Prime Minister has resigned
- The UK has down slipped down to the 6th largest economy

Last time the markets fell like this, we had to spend £340bn to re-capitalise the banks. People have lost a fifth of their pension funds overnight. This is causing a complete bloodbath on the markets right now. If you voted Brexit, your savings are worth 31% less than they were yesterday.

And it's not just about money (not that Brexiters couldn't cope with a £190m net spend a week or anything) we are now looking at being solely governed by a party who want to rip up our worker's rights and privatise our healthcare system. You thought Dave and Gideon were bad, you wait till Boris and Gove.

Of course people over 50 are entitled to vote, but they really have shafted the young generation.

Larry, I'm surprised you've not been deported, lol. PS, when are you coming down?

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Thought this was pretty funny on Facebook today...

Brexit, a Still Life

erotic cheeses

#7 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:51 pm

worst day ever

looking to emigrate today...

the remain party let us down, didn't do enough to avoid this, the leave party played the immigration card and appealed to the racists in the uk

(so ashamed)

erotic cheeses

#8 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:09 pm

oh wait, Trump thinks its a great thing, so maybe I am wrong..

despite that by all accounts mortgages will go up, the pound will continue to plummet, pensions will fall, unemployment will rise, income will fall, european travel will cost more, we will export less, house values will drop, etc, etc

Artemis

#9 Post by Artemis » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Chalk up another win for fear, hate, and lies. :sad:
On the plus side: David Cameron's self-immolation.

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:27 am

Yesterday we went to a little demonstration and march that went from St. Giles' Cathedral to the Parliament through the Royal Mile, it was good. It was supposed to be about "protecting migrants", but it obviously ended up being more about how Scotland must leave the UK.

Some pictures I found on the press:

Bandit72 wrote: Larry, I'm surprised you've not been deported, lol. PS, when are you coming down?
I'm heading to Manchester on the 20th of August (Mou's first match at Old Trafford as United manager :bigrin: ), my idea is to plan a visit to Birmingham probably the day before; if not, the day after. I had to go through Birmingham several times for my courses, but felt bad asking you to go to the airport so we could meet. I have an appointment set up in my calendar to write you closer to the date, so you better start preparing some tea and Twixes.

nausearockpig

#11 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:43 am

Bandit, take him out for some pints.

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:56 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Bandit, take him out for some pints.
I don't drink... but I'll hook him up with some MDMA I brought from the Netherlands :heart: :heart: :heart:

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Larry B. wrote:
I don't drink... but I'll hook him up with some MDMA I brought from the Netherlands :heart: :heart: :heart:
OMG! You and Bandit have to do MDMA together and dance to this masterpiece. :lolol:

Bandit72

#14 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:37 am

Larry B. wrote:
Pints of tea!

Bandit72

#15 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:39 am

Artemis wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
OMG! You and Bandit have to do MDMA together and dance to this masterpiece. :lolol:

What the FUCK is that?! :lol:

nausearockpig

#16 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:41 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Pints of tea!
Pints of fucking cement, to harden the fuck up..... :lolol:

Larry B.

#17 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:10 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Larry B. wrote:

What the FUCK is that?! :lol:
How it is possible that you hadn't seen that super mega satellite viral hit before, mate? Where have you been?

Bandit72

#18 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 am

I tend not to watch anything by Perry and Etty. Especially ones which mimic REALLY BAD 90's techno.

I think I drew the line at "I like 'em big"

Pandemonium

#19 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 am

Bandit72 wrote:I tend not to watch anything by Perry and Etty. Especially ones which mimic REALLY BAD 90's techno.

I think I drew the line at "I like 'em big"
Perry and Etty not only long ago crossed that line, but shit on it and stamped their feet on it on their way to the creative toilet.

sinep

#20 Post by sinep » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:16 am

i hope my Irish brothers in the north vote to leave those limey imperialists.

reunified Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!

erotic cheeses

#21 Post by erotic cheeses » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Artemis wrote:Chalk up another win for fear, hate, and lies. :sad:
On the plus side: David Cameron's self-immolation.
As much as I hate that pig fucker he has left the way for boris Johnson to hold the reigns

If you are unfamiliar with Bo Jo, he is our trump

I.e we is well fucked

Artemis

#22 Post by Artemis » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm familiar with Boris.

So, almost one week after the UK referendum, a friend of mine In London, originally from Italy, was asked today by one of his English colleaugue's when he's going "back home to Italy". My friend's home IS London where he's been living for over 30 years! He works, owns a house and pays taxes like everybody else! :no:

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Soon:

Briton A: "When are you going back home to Normandy?"
Briton B: "Hey, fuck you! When are you going back to Saxony?"

:eyes:

sinep

#24 Post by sinep » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:32 pm

hahahaha other countries are just as fucked up (if not more) than we are here in the united states!!!!

U S A, U S A, U S A, U S A

erotic cheeses

#25 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:11 pm

And in a surprise turn bojo steps down and the evil gove steps up and we are all fuckedcould it get any worse?
I dread to ask