The Cops Behaving Badly Thread

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Romeo

Re: The Cops Behaving Badly Thread

#126 Post by Romeo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:46 am

so removing your hat is a weapon?

That video is pretty fucking disturbing.

farrellgirl99

#127 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:37 pm

I can't get over the Sandra Bland situation. It's so disturbing. And the fact that I can entertain, and even believe, the idea that the police took her mug shot while she was already dead is just overwhelming.

Every day it's another new case of police brutality or murder. What can we even do?

kv

#128 Post by kv » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Well in the initial case rule one is prob not to get lippy or argue with the police...who knows what happened I the jail

kv

#129 Post by kv » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:06 pm

This stuff is probably happening a hell of a.lot less these days with all the cameras...the masses were just always too stupid to believe it was happening

People are imperfect...only makes sense some of the bad seeds got jobs as cops

Mescal

#130 Post by Mescal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:22 am

kv wrote:Well in the initial case rule one is prob not to get lippy or argue with the police...who knows what happened I the jail
and why’s that?

you have rights you know, even when you’re pulled over.

who gives these macho cops the right to be the judge, the jury and the executioner? They’re there to SERVE and PROTECT.

This attitude of ’she should have just shut her mouth’ ’she should have seen it coming’ is not helping this aggressive climate these cops seem to sustain

kv

#131 Post by kv » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:26 am

I think both of them could have behaved better and nothing would have happened

kv

#132 Post by kv » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:28 am

Lots of cops give zero fucks about your rights....so prob best smartest to just yes sir no sir and drive away?

Mescal

#133 Post by Mescal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:36 am

kv wrote:Lots of cops give zero fucks about your rights....so prob best smartest to just yes sir no sir and drive away?

That’s what I would do.

Still doesn’t give em the right to harrass somebody because he/she doesn’t.

I still don’t get the physical abuse part, if you pull someone over and he/she is really being annoying, just give them a fine for harrassing the police. That way the country benefits from it and you hit them where it really hurts, the purse. Everybody happy and nobody dies.

creep
Site Admin

#134 Post by creep » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:09 am

kv wrote:Lots of cops give zero fucks about your rights....so prob best smartest to just yes sir no sir and drive away?
i was driving in washington state a couple years ago and they have unmarked highway patrol cars. one was behind me way too close so i flipped him off not knowing it was a cop. he pulled me over and was yelling and screaming at me. he was just going off. it took everything i had to hold it in. i wouldn't say i have a bad temper but i'm not one to take something like that from someone. i was all "yes sir, no sir" and all that shit. he still wrote me a ticket (which i fought and won) but i didn't go to jail like he threatened about ten times. not that it did any good but i also filed a complaint against him.

Hype

#135 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:18 am

kv wrote:I think both of them could have behaved better and nothing would have happened
This is what I thought at first. But then I thought: wait, is it really fair to expect someone who might be having a bad day, or may just be feeling off, to somehow maintain absolutely perfect behaviour for however long a traffic stop lasts, just because a cop *might* be an asshole and provoke you into an outburst? What's crazy to me is that the cop was obviously aware that she wasn't in a great mood -- he says to her point blank: "You seem agitated." -- shouldn't his "de-escalation" training, which he later claims he was trying to use, involve more of a responsibility on his part not to let an agitated person provoke him? Humans are going to fuck up, but it's not obvious to me that a private citizen has equal responsibility (or more responsibility) in the presence of a cop to behave exactly as that cop wants. I'm not denying that it would be prudent -- that's obvious. But I think we should expect cops to be trained and required not to get pushed to the point of pulling weapons out and threatening people during routine traffic stops, just because they're agitated and being mouthy.

The stuff that happens after that, where she apparently kicks him, leading to a more forceful takedown, etc., ... I don't know what to do with that.

But I think I want cops to be able to handle childish behaviour better.

Artemis

#136 Post by Artemis » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:03 am

This has been making the rounds on Facebook.

:nyrexall: This made me feel really sad and angry.

http://artandeverythingafter.com/i-fit-the-description/

I fit the description….

This is what I wore to work today.

On my way to get a burrito before work, I was detained by the police.

I noticed the police car in the public lot behind Centre Street. As I was walking away from my car, the cruiser followed me. I walked down Centre Street and was about to cross over to the burrito place and the officer got out of the car.

“Hey my man,” he said.

He unsnapped the holster of his gun.

I took my hands out of my pockets.

“Yes?” I said.

“Where you coming from?”

“Home.”

Where’s home?”

“Dedham.”

How’d you get here?”

“I drove.”

He was next to me now. Two other police cars pulled up. I was standing in from of the bank across the street from the burrito place. I was going to get lunch before I taught my 1:30 class. There were cops all around me.

I said nothing. I looked at the officer who addressed me. He was white, stocky, bearded.

“You weren’t over there, were you?” He pointed down Centre Street toward Hyde Square.

“No. I came from Dedham.”

“What’s your address?”

I told him.

“We had someone matching your description just try to break into a woman’s house.”

A second police officer stood next to me; white, tall, bearded. Two police cruisers passed and would continue to circle the block for the 35 minutes I was standing across the street from the burrito place.

“You fit the description,” the officer said. “Black male, knit hat, puffy coat. Do you have identification.”

“It’s in my wallet. May I reach into my pocket and get my wallet?”

“Yeah.”

I handed him my license. I told him it did not have my current address. He walked over to a police car. The other cop, taller, wearing sunglasses, told me that I fit the description of someone who broke into a woman’s house. Right down to the knit cap.

Barbara Sullivan made a knit cap for me. She knitted it in pinks and browns and blues and oranges and lime green. No one has a hat like this. It doesn’t fit any description that anyone would have. I looked at the second cop. I clasped my hands in front of me to stop them from shaking.

“For the record,” I said to the second cop, “I’m not a criminal. I’m a college professor.” I was wearing my faculty ID around my neck, clearly visible with my photo.

“You fit the description so we just have to check it out.” The first cop returned and handed me my license.

“We have the victim and we need her to take a look at you to see if you are the person.”

It was at this moment that I knew that I was probably going to die. I am not being dramatic when I say this. I was not going to get into a police car. I was not going to present myself to some victim. I was not going let someone tell the cops that I was not guilty when I already told them that I had nothing to do with any robbery. I was not going to let them take me anywhere because if they did, the chance I was going to be accused of something I did not do rose exponentially. I knew this in my heart. I was not going anywhere with these cops and I was not going to let some white woman decide whether or not I was a criminal, especially after I told them that I was not a criminal. This meant that I was going to resist arrest. This meant that I was not going to let the police put their hands on me.

If you are wondering why people don’t go with the police, I hope this explains it for you.

Something weird happens when you are on the street being detained by the police. People look at you like you are a criminal. The police are detaining you so clearly you must have done something, otherwise they wouldn’t have you. No one made eye contact with me. I was hoping that someone I knew would walk down the street or come out of one of the shops or get off the 39 bus or come out of JP Licks and say to these cops, “That’s Steve Locke. What the FUCK are you detaining him for?”

The cops decided that they would bring the victim to come view me on the street. The asked me to wait. I said nothing. I stood still.

“Thanks for cooperating,” the second cop said. “This is probably nothing, but it’s our job and you do fit the description. 5′ 11″, black male. One-hundred-and-sixty pounds, but you’re a little more than that. Knit hat.”

A little more than 160. Thanks for that, I thought.

An older white woman walked behind me and up to the second cop. She turned and looked at me and then back at him. “You guys sure are busy today.”

I noticed a black woman further down the block. She was small and concerned. She was watching what was going on. I focused on her red coat. I slowed my breathing. I looked at her from time to time.

I thought: Don’t leave, sister. Please don’t leave.

The first cop said, “Where do you teach?”

“Massachusetts College of Art and Design.” I tugged at the lanyard that had my ID.

“How long you been teaching there?”

“Thirteen years.”

We stood in silence for about 10 more minutes.

An unmarked police car pulled up. The first cop went over to talk to the driver. The driver kept looking at me as the cop spoke to him. I looked directly at the driver. He got out of the car.

“I’m Detective Cardoza. I appreciate your cooperation.”

I said nothing.

“I’m sure these officers told you what is going on?”

“They did.”

“Where are you coming from?”

“From my home in Dedham.”

“How did you get here?”

“I drove.”

“Where is your car?”

“It’s in the lot behind Bukhara.” I pointed up Centre Street.

“Okay,” the detective said. “We’re going to let you go. Do you have a car key you can show me?”

“Yes,” I said. “I’m going to reach into my pocket and pull out my car key.”

“Okay.”

I showed him the key to my car.

The cops thanked me for my cooperation. I nodded and turned to go.

“Sorry for screwing up your lunch break,” the second cop said.

I walked back toward my car, away from the burrito place. I saw the woman in red.

“Thank you,” I said to her. “Thank you for staying.”

“Are you ok?” She said. Her small beautiful face was lined with concern.

“Not really. I’m really shook up. And I have to get to work.”

“I knew something was wrong. I was watching the whole thing. The way they are treating us now, you have to watch them. ”

“I’m so grateful you were there. I kept thinking to myself, ‘Don’t leave, sister.’ May I give you a hug?”

“Yes,” she said. She held me as I shook. “Are you sure you are ok?”

“No I’m not. I’m going to have a good cry in my car. I have to go teach.”

“You’re at MassArt. My friend is at MassArt.”

“What’s your name?” She told me. I realized we were Facebook friends. I told her this.

“I’ll check in with you on Facebook,” she said.

I put my head down and walked to my car.

My colleague was in our shared office and she was able to calm me down. I had about 45 minutes until my class began and I had to teach. I forgot the lesson I had planned. I forget the schedule. I couldn’t think about how to do my job. I thought about the fact my word counted for nothing, they didn’t believe that I wasn’t a criminal. They had to find out. My word was not enough for them. My ID was not enough for them. My handmade one-of-a-kind knit hat was an object of suspicion. My Ralph Lauren quilted blazer was only a “puffy coat.” That white woman could just walk up to a cop and talk about me like I was an object for regard. I wanted to go back and spit in their faces. The cops were probably deeply satisfied with how they handled the interaction, how they didn’t escalate the situation, how they were respectful and polite.

I imagined sitting in the back of a police car while a white woman decides if I am a criminal or not. If I looked guilty being detained by the cops imagine how vile I become sitting in a cruiser? I knew I could not let that happen to me. I knew if that were to happen, I would be dead.

Nothing I am, nothing I do, nothing I have means anything because I fit the description.

I had to confess to my students that I was a bit out of it today and I asked them to bear with me. I had to teach.

After class I was supposed to go to the openings for First Friday. I went home.

kv

#137 Post by kv » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:09 pm

overreact much? i mean come on...i've been handled way worse by police in a "you fit the description" where all i got was shut the fuck ups whenever i said a word :lolol:...why would anyone with that much fear think it would be a good idea to resist arrest? that's just stupid...and come on don't blame the police if the description fits yours they didn't give it and it's not their fault every criminal ever apprehended lies about stuff...they aren't gonna take your word....this guy must be head of the drama department

Pandemonium

#138 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:18 pm

kv wrote:overreact much? i mean come on...i've been handled way worse by police in a "you fit the description" where all i got was shut the fuck ups whenever i said a word :lolol:...why would anyone with that much fear think it would be a good idea to resist arrest? that's just stupid...and come on don't blame the police if the description fits yours they didn't give it and it's not their fault every criminal ever apprehended lies about stuff...they aren't gonna take your word....this guy must be head of the drama department
No shit. I've been hassled by cops numerous times in almost exactly the same situation (mistaken for "someone" else involved in a crime). Sometimes it sucks being in the wrong place at the wrong time but you just have to keep cool and get through the hassle.

Hype

#139 Post by Hype » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:22 pm

Black people do have more of a reason to be worried if stopped by the police though. Even if you've been stopped by the police for a similar reason, you probably weren't treated in the same way black people are often treated by police.

Artemis

#140 Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:08 pm

Scary scene in Dallas tonight..

10 cops shot- 3 dead, 7 injured.

Snipers still at large.

chaos

#141 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Artemis wrote:Scary scene in Dallas tonight..

10 cops shot- 3 dead, 7 injured.

Snipers still at large.
A 4th cop died.

After the last few days - i.e. Louisiana & Minnesota- I am really not surprised. (I am by no means condoning any of this.)

Ganondorf

#142 Post by Ganondorf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Pandemonium

#143 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:55 am

Idiots rule.

Joe Walsh (former Republican Rep/radio host)

guysmiley

#144 Post by guysmiley » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:29 am

Wow, none of that is helping. I think people need to find value in each other again. If they ever did to start with. :sad:

Ganondorf

#145 Post by Ganondorf » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:57 am

:arrow:
guysmiley wrote:Wow, none of that is helping. I think people need to find value in each other again. If they ever did to start with. :sad:
:thumb:

creep
Site Admin

#146 Post by creep » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:59 am

i miss this guy. bush dancing and having a great time at a memorial for the officers.

guysmiley

#147 Post by guysmiley » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:53 am

creep wrote:i miss this guy. bush dancing and having a great time at a memorial for the officers.

:lol: As much as I hated him as president, his slow witted child like behavior always made me laugh. I think the guy honestly thought he was doing the right thing. Even though it was probably often the wrong thing.

Pandemonium

#148 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:49 pm

guysmiley wrote:
creep wrote:i miss this guy. bush dancing and having a great time at a memorial for the officers.

:lol: As much as I hated him as president, his slow witted child like behavior always made me laugh. I think the guy honestly thought he was doing the right thing. Even though it was probably often the wrong thing.
I think Bush Jr is a perfect example of a political boob inadvertantly surrounding himself with those with their own agendas at best and genuinely bad people at worst. Cheney was the fucking Anti-Christ.

Artemis

#149 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:57 am

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politi ... uge-ambush
6 Police Officers Reportedly Shot, 3 Feared Dead in Baton Rouge Ambush
One suspect is said to be deceased; others being sought.

CNN is reporting that six police officers were shot with three of them are feared dead in a shoot-out in Baton Rouge, Louisiana Sunday morning.

The attack was said to be an ambush, after police reportedly received a call of a "suspicious person walking down Airline Highway with an assault rifle," according to CNN's source. When police arrived to check out the situation, the man, reportedly clad in black and a face mask, opened fire.

The situation is still unfolding. According to Kip Holden, the mayor-president of East Baton Rouge Parish, said authorities were still trying to get a handle on the situation, "There is still an active scene. They are investigating," he said. "Right now we are trying to get our arms around everything."

One suspect has reportedly been killed. According to CNN: -- One suspect is dead, and two others may be at large in the Baton Rouge shooting, the East Baton Rouge sheriff's office said.
-- Six law enforcement officers were shot -- three are dead and three others are injured, Baton Rouge Police Department spokesman Sgt. Don Coppola told CNN. The spokesman also said the area was being searched for explosives. A police robot is being deployed. Tensions in Baton Rouge between the police, the black community and protesters have been running high since Alton Sterling was shot to death by cops, and the video circulated widely. The police response protesters against police brutality have been notably aggressive with numerous arrests. This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

SR

#150 Post by SR » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:17 am

Fuck Cops