Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
chaos

The Republican Convention July 18-21

#1 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Let's get ready to rumble! :pop:

chaos

Re: The Republican Convention July 18-21

#2 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:32 pm

I'm not clear why "whole fruit" is banned from the convention center. Maybe they are afraid people will throw it. :lol:

https://www.2016cle.com

chaos

#3 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:32 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... onvention/

According to the New York Times, former (but still aspiring) NFL quarterback Tim Tebow will speak at next week’s event in Cleveland.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ges-peace/

Apparently, Tebow's latest non-football role was news to him this morning.

The former Heisman Trophy-winning Florida and NFL quarterback jumped onto Instagram on Thursday night to deny the reports, simply referring to them as "a rumor." The New York Times had his name on the reported list of speakers, as did the Associated Press, but Tebow claims they were wrong.
:lolol:

chaos

#4 Post by chaos » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:34 pm

i am so disappointed. :lol:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/14/politics/ ... trump-rnc/

In an interview with the Washington Examiner on Thursday, Trump said that Palin was asked to speak, but that the distance ultimately precluded her from making the trip.

"It's a little bit difficult because of where she is," Trump said, referring to Palin's home state of Alaska. "We love Sarah. Little bit difficult because of, you know, it's a long ways away."

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:27 pm

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/c ... ry-weapons

Cleveland Police Union Asks Kasich To Suspend Open Carry Laws For RNC

By SARA JERDE Published JULY 17, 2016, 3:06 PM EDT

Cleveland Police Union President Steve Loomis is reportedly preparing to ask Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) to suspend the open carry laws in Cuyahoga County for the Republican National Convention this week, Fox affiliate WJW reported Sunday.

His comments came hours after a shooting in Baton Rouge left three police officers dead.

"We are sending a letter to Gov. Kasich requesting assistance from him. He could very easily do some kind of executive order or something -- I don't care if it's constitutional or not at this point," Loomis reportedly told CNN.

He also said that he is requesting that officers don't work alone at intersections as part of the RNC's security.

Kasich released a statement through his office in response calling law enforcement a "noble, essential calling." He went on to say he couldn't suspend the law.

"Ohio governors do not have the power to arbitrarily suspend federal and state constitutional rights or state laws as suggested," Kasich said in the statement. "The bonds between our communities and police must be reset and rebuilt -- as we're doing in Ohio -- so our communities and officers can both be safe. Everyone has an important role to play in that renewal."

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:38 pm

I read that Scott Baio(Cha Chi)will be speaking at the convention. :lol:

chaos

#7 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:42 am

Tremendous! :lol: He is scheduled for Monday (today).
2016 GOP CONVENTION PROGRAM ANNOUNCED
July 17, 2016
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Jeff Larson, CEO of the 2016 Republican National Convention, today released an updated program for the “Make America Great Again” convention, July 18-21, in Cleveland.

Veterans, political outsiders, faith leaders and presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump’s family members will lead an unconventional lineup of speakers who have real-world experience and will make a serious case against the status quo and for an agenda that will make America great again.

Daily Themes & Headliners:
Monday: Make America Safe Again
Headliners: Melania Trump, Lieutenant General (ret.) Michael Flynn, U.S. Senator Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), Jason Beardsley and U.S. Rep. Ryan Zinke (Mont.).

Tuesday: Make America Work Again
Headliners: Donald Trump, Jr., U.S. Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (WV), Ben Carson and Kimberlin Brown.

Wednesday: Make America First Again
Headliners: Lynne Patton; Eric Trump; former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Newt Gingrich and his wife, Callista; and Indiana Governor Mike Pence, whom Donald Trump has chosen as his vice presidential running mate.

Thursday: Make America One Again
Headliners: Peter Thiel, Tom Barrack, Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump

A fuller list of daily program speakers and their backgrounds follows:

http://convention.gop/post/147558746375 ... -announced

Tyler Durden

#8 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:50 am

Artemis wrote:I read that Scott Baio(Cha Chi)will be speaking at the convention. :lol:
So pathetic. :lol:

I love how right wingers bash "limousine liberals" and the "Hollywood elite", yet never hesitate to parade around a "star" when they find out the person is a republican. What's sad is that they are usually hard pressed to find a celebrity who was ever relevant and not a total assclown.

chaos

#9 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:10 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

By Editorial Board July 14

PLANNING TO visit the 1.7-square-mile area in downtown Cleveland where many of the events and protests connected to the Republican National Convention will be held next week? Be sure not to take tennis balls, metal-tipped umbrellas or canned goods, which will be banned — but no need to leave behind your AR-15 or other guns. Those will be allowed under Ohio’s open-carry laws.

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:20 am

I'm actually watching the convention live right now. I don't want to miss Scott Baio. :lol:

chaos

#11 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:29 am

:lol:

The speakers for the evening (and Baio is listed as one of them) do not begin until 7PM.

The first speaker of the evening is a cast member from the show the tv show Duck Dynasty. :lol: (Baio is listed as #4.)

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/18/12212300/r ... y-speeches

Tyler Durden

#12 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:30 am

Yeah, it's an irresistible train wreck. :lolol:

Artemis

#13 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:32 am

chaos wrote:
The speakers for the evening (and Baio is listed as one of them) do not begin until 7PM.

Oh, not until 7. I'll tune back in later then. :tiphat:

Artemis

#14 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Chachi's on now..

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:20 pm

the production is sort of embarrassing. out of tune and out of place singers...music starting when it isn't supposed to. some young girl singing with sunglasses on (maybe she is blind?).

the navy seal guy seems coked up. he has some crazy eyes.

Artemis

#16 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:43 pm

omg...where did they find these Benghazi bozos?? :no:

the tampon in the ear remark was too much.

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:08 pm

I can't believe Antonio Sabato Jr said that Trump is about unity. :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:27 pm

it's all about how fucked up the country is and how much of a liar and criminal hillary is.

if i was undecided i would want to hear how trump will improve the country. no one seems to know the answer to that.

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:37 pm

that guy from the real world is a senator and is married that girl from the real world san francisco. who knew...

they are both dopes.

now some county commissioner is talking. why would a county commissioner be talking at the national convention? oh because he is black. they had to look pretty hard to find a black guy supporting him.

Pandemonium

#20 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:59 pm

creep wrote:if i was undecided i would want to hear how trump will improve the country. no one seems to know the answer to that.
Trump doesn't know the answer to that question either.

I wonder if Christie is going to speak or even attend considering he rolled the dice and hitched his wagon to the Trump-mobile early on only to be snubbed when Trump picked Captain Unknown as his VP running mate.

chaos

#21 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:38 pm

I missed the festivities, and just tuned in about 20 minutes ago. I caught the tail end of Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn's spiel on American exceptionalism. Senator Joni Ernst (the hog castrator) is on now. I stopped watching when she said "there are ISIS terrorists in every one of our fifty states."

Pandemonium wrote: I wonder if Christie is going to speak or even attend considering he rolled the dice and hitched his wagon to the Trump-mobile early on only to be snubbed when Trump picked Captain Unknown as his VP running mate.
He is scheduled for primetime tomorrow night.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republic ... d=40388577

So, how was the Duck Dynasty guy? And where is Ted Nugent? :lol:

chaos

#22 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:54 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /87278088/

Section of Melania Trump speech raises plagiarism charge
Cooper Allen, USA TODAY 12:36 a.m. EDT July 19, 2016

Melania Trump speaks during the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland on July 18, 2016. (Photo: Robert Deutsch, USA TODAY)
CLEVELAND — Melania Trump's speech Monday seemed to go off without a hitch.

But shortly after the opening night of the Republican National Convention concluded, a few observers noted that a small portion of her remarks were remarkably similar to a passage from first lady Michelle Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention eight years earlier in Denver.

Here's the excerpt from Obama in 2008:

"And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them.

"And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and to pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

And here's the passage from Trump's remarks Monday night that drew the attention of Vox and others:

"My parents impressed on me the value of that you work hard for what you want in life. That your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise. That you treat people with respect. Show the values and morals in in the daily life. That is the lesson that we continue to pass on to our son.

"We need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because we want our children in these nations to know that the only limit to your achievement is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

While it's not entirely a verbatim match, the two sections bear considerable similarity in wording, construction and themes. This certainly could have been an inadvertent mistake on the part of a Trump campaign speechwriter, but at least on social media late Monday and early Tuesday morning, it was already diverting attention from Melania Trump's introduction on the national stage.

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:54 pm

The Duck Dynasty guy was pretty brief. I only remember thinking that his beard is gross and could use some grooming. :lol:

In other convention news...

It appears that Melania lifted part of her speech from Michelle Obama from 2008!

Michelle Obama, 2008
Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them. And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation.
Melania Trump, 2016
From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life: that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise; that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son, and we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow.

EDIT: chaos and I posted the exact same thing at the same time - jinx!

chaos

#24 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:03 pm

I have a feeling quite a few people will be called losers tomorrow by The Donald. :lol:

chaos

#25 Post by chaos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:05 pm

@Artemis - Great minds . . . :lol: