The Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
creep
Site Admin

Re: The Smashing Pumpkins

#226 Post by creep » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:16 am

she had meth face in 2011 so she may not be in the best shape to be back in the band,

Tyler Durden

#227 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 am

While I can see wanting the original band back together because of nostalgia...this isn't GNR or Jane's. It's always been the Billy Corgan show (with a fucking amazing drummer in Jimmy Chamberlain). D'arcy filled a void almost solely for aesthetic purposes. And James Iha's contributions to the band's catalogue were minuscule at best. Again, it would be "neat" to see the original band back together...but Billy can put on just as solid of a show with other people filling in.

P.S. Jeff Schroeder is way more talented than James Iha.

crater

#228 Post by crater » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:55 am

kv wrote:I think the last time I saw them was their last show together with all four. D'Arcy quit the next day
I saw them a few days before that in Phoenix. I'll always remember the date because it was the day after the Columbine high school shooting.

JOEinPHX

#229 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:19 pm

creep wrote:she had meth face in 2011 so she may not be in the best shape to be back in the band,

She apparently has a public FB page, and looked like this in 2014:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Tyler Durden

#230 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Her looks now match her personality...

Just say no. :scared:

Hype

#231 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:55 pm

kv wrote:I think the last time I saw them was their last show together with all four. D'Arcy quit the next day
"They" were terrible in 2007 when it was just Billy and Jimmy. It was either Schroeder or some touring hack... anyway it was so terrible we left halfway through. Bjork the day before was incredible.

Pandemonium

#232 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:30 pm

Apparently, Corgan and Darcy Wrecksi are pals again:

http://www.spin.com/2016/08/billy-corga ... t_facebook

Tyler Durden

#233 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 am

Billy has basically implied that a future reunion of the original band is in the cards, without actually making an official announcement.

intertwoven

#234 Post by intertwoven » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:44 pm

That'd be cool. I wonder how Darcy is doing these days after a rough period there. I'd be surprised if she could hack a full 2-hour performance. More likely a guest appearance on a couple songs. But I guess we'll see.

Tyler Durden

#235 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:51 pm

Billy still basically saying that the band is reuniting without actually saying "the band is reuniting".

http://www.alternativenation.net/billy- ... ese-dream/

Interesting...Rick Rubin is producing his new solo album.

Matz

#236 Post by Matz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:15 pm

are people gonna care if they reunite at all?

Tyler Durden

#237 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:51 pm

Matz wrote:are people gonna care if they reunite at all?
Who knows? In my opinion, Billy was/is the band...with some help from Jimmy's amazing drumming. James and D'arcy didn't really bring anything to the table...but their return would probably pull people in because of the nostalgia factor.

Pandemonium

#238 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 pm

Announcement appears o be coming in days if not a few weeks about the reunion. And of course, there's high school level social media drama involving the probability that Wretzky will not be involved.

https://www.alternativenation.net/billy ... tzky-lies/

JOEinPHX

#239 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Announcement appears o be coming in days if not a few weeks about the reunion. And of course, there's high school level social media drama involving the probability that Wretzky will not be involved.

https://www.alternativenation.net/billy ... tzky-lies/
Please cite anything other than that hack fucking site.

But anyway, pics have been posted of Billy, Jimmy, and James recording. No Darcy though.

I'd wager to bet Melissa Auf Der Maur is brought back.

Or they'll go famous and get someone like Kim Deal.

creep
Site Admin

#240 Post by creep » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm

etty is the new bass player

Hokahey
Site Admin

#241 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm bummed Darcy won't be there. I know Billy did everything anyway, but I want to see the original band. Not sure I'll go now. It would be hard to justify buying a ticket Beyond knowing I'll be seeing all original members.

SR

#242 Post by SR » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm

According to the SP’s, she’s been repeatedly invited into the fold....no specifics on moola though.....

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... on-w516638

Pandemonium

#243 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 pm

What a headcase. D'Arcy is The Pumpkin's own Steven Adler (Guns n' Roses goofball original drummer).

https://www.alternativenation.net/smash ... -20-years/

I can't imagine what kind of hell it would be to be stuck in a studio with Corgan's ego and D'Arcy's annoying personality recording those last couple'a albums.

SR

#244 Post by SR » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 am

I always thought Adler was fairly well appreciated by at least Duff and slash, even mourned in his absence. I follow John 5 on IG, and he popps up in holiday photos at parties with him and
Nikki....the former never drank and the latter is clean and sober. D'Arcy seems to be afflicted by the common asshole syndrome explained by 'I may not be right, but I'm NEVER wrong'....a perpetual victim.

Pandemonium

#245 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:19 pm

SR wrote:I always thought Adler was fairly well appreciated by at least Duff and slash, even mourned in his absence. I follow John 5 on IG, and he popps up in holiday photos at parties with him and
Nikki....the former never drank and the latter is clean and sober. D'Arcy seems to be afflicted by the common asshole syndrome explained by 'I may not be right, but I'm NEVER wrong'....a perpetual victim.
I'm sure based on what's been said that they "like" Adler, but as a reliable band member, he's a trainwreck even after cleaning himself up for the umpteeth time. He was going to play at least a few songs during the very first GnR reunion club show at the Troubadour and a couple days before the gig, screwed up his back. The couple years leading up to the reunion he was doing interviews for anyone that would have him and constantly saying stuff that you know would rub Axl (and probably at least Slash as well) the wrong way.

Speaking of John 5, he recorded a full album with David Lee Roth a couple years ago that's gone unreleased that just about everyone who's heard it say it's the best thing either of them have done in years.

SR

#246 Post by SR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 am

Many years have passed since the slash bio came out, but in it he's very sympathetic.....though resigned that there was no other option than termination. Too, he much preferred the dirty and powerful drumming Adler brought to the Gn'R sound. I remember the back issue, which seems plausible but could be a ruse to disguise other problems. Dunno. I do know Axl was inclined towards his touring drummer and can easily see the rest of the bands acquiescence to that. Barely a sacrifice. I have a friend that spent a night partying with him (maybe a decade ago) and he said Adler was annihilated and consumed with bitterness mainly towards Axl.

Wow, I've heard nothing on the 5 and DLR album, but would love to hear it. I'm not a huge fan of 5's solo music but am of his playing, his discipline, musical varieties, and intuition

Matz

#247 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 am

John 5's work with DLR is nothing special, just a dumbed down version of what VH used to do. You're not a fan of John 5's solo work? Incredible, I love it, I think he's an amazing songwriter, arranger and guitar player of course with a unique style. Very sophisticated playing if you look closely when it comes to harmony and such. His soloing can be a bit repetitive and robotic at times if you were to critique him a bit but as a whole he's smokin'. I think his solo work is by far the most impressive he's done in his career. An album like God told me to is up there with the best. The Zombie songs I know that he co wrote are mediocre at best

SR

#248 Post by SR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 am

I'm not disinclined to revisit it. My knowledge of the solo work is limited to casual viewing on YouTube. The genre itself isn't tops on my list either. But like I said, I have lots of respect for him. I was introduced by chance at the Drop in the Bucket charity event years ago and he and DN were part of an ensemble playing together....all covers which he slept walked through, but plenty to motivate me to investigate.

As for the DLR connection, I know he was a hired gun there for live performance but I have yet to hear any originals. Those do interest me; I'll look those up

Mescal

#249 Post by Mescal » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 am

SR wrote: I have a friend that spent a night partying with him (maybe a decade ago) and he said Adler was annihilated and consumed with bitterness mainly towards Axl.
Isn't this the way Dave Mustaine feels towards the rest of Metallica?

Must be a hard thing to swallow being kicked out of what turned out to be the biggest band(s) in the world

SR

#250 Post by SR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:12 am

I think so. At the urging of a friend I read Mustaines auto bio. The vision and determination behind Megadeath was in no small measure motivated by an obsession to best Metallica. Horrible book btw...he's insufferable to linger with even though a book.