Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Janes Nominated for HOF

#1 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 am

Bandit72

Re: Janes Nominated for HOF

#2 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:37 am

Are we going to have an Axl/GNR Perry/Eric situation?

IF they got in.

Romeo

#3 Post by Romeo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:55 am

they may be nominated but they aren't getting in this round....

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:07 am

If Pearl Jam get in before Jane's I'm flippin' out....Jane's paved the way for PJ

Noonesshocking

#5 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

I am skeptical about them actually getting in this year because of all the politics and bullshit that comes with the process. However, despite the bad decisions we give the band flack for, I still genuinely believe they should absolutely be inducted. Look, they were amazing and had a lasting effect. We are still here talking about them. MANY artists cite them as a hugely important influence. And obviously, there is the whole lollapalooza thing too. They are not necessarily as visible as say, Depeche Mode in this list, but they are a foundational influence and many roads lead back to them. I can see the decision going both ways.

IF this happens, I bet they all show up but don't perform. Kinda like Kiss a few years ago.

P.S., I hope Bad Brains get in. Think about how many times you've read about a live show that was transcendental. They face a similar battle to Jane's though because they are a foundational influence on many more high profile acts.

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:18 am

It's a pretty crowded group of likely 2nd/3rd tier candidates this time around. Only 5 usually get in every year and I think Pearl Jam, Tupac and Depeche Mode are shoe-ins. I find it laughable that a shit band like Journey is even considered. Now we know why there's a sudden flurry of archival releases coming from Janes/Perry.

Pearl Jam
Tupac
Depeche Mode
ELO
Jane's Addiction
Janet Jackson
Journey
The Cars
The Zombies
Yes
Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
J.Geils Band
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Kraftwerk
MC5
Steppenwolf

Usually only 5 get it, but there is your list of options for next year.

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 am

Congratulations to Pearl Jam.

They are soooooo getting in.

If Jane's does, Eric will be there but there isn't a chance in hell he plays onstage with them. Etty might even be inducted as a member of the group, or at very least Perry will not take any band photos unless she is in it.

Has Etty congratulated herself on the nomination yet?

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 am

Matz wrote:If Pearl Jam get in before Jane's I'm flippin' out....Jane's paved the way for PJ
The comedy of the HoF - Green Day got in before PJ or Janes.

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:13 am

Kraftwerk would be on that five list for sure.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#10 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:43 am

Matz wrote:If Pearl Jam get in before Jane's I'm flippin' out....Jane's paved the way for PJ
That's a slippery slope. You should then be arguing that Bad Brains should be in before PJ because Jane's probably wouldn't exist without them.

At some point you have to recognize that PJ have had a HUGE cultural impact and a lasting legacy. Pearl Jam, to many people, is the quintessential American rock band.

On a side note - NIN was nominated last year, didn't get in, and they're not even on this year's ballot. I

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 am

Hokahey wrote:On a side note - NIN was nominated last year, didn't get in, and they're not even on this year's ballot. I
I noticed the same thing. Maybe TR told them to hold off a few more years till he gets a few more oscars.

Matz

#12 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:39 am

Hokahey wrote:
That's a slippery slope. You should then be arguing that Bad Brains should be in before PJ because Jane's probably wouldn't exist without them.

At some point you have to recognize that PJ have had a HUGE cultural impact and a lasting legacy. Pearl Jam, to many people, is the quintessential American rock band.

On a side note - NIN was nominated last year, didn't get in, and they're not even on this year's ballot. I
Right, I see what you're saying.
The NIN thing is pretty shocking

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Hokahey wrote:On a side note - NIN was nominated last year, didn't get in, and they're not even on this year's ballot. I
I noticed the same thing. Maybe TR told them to hold off a few more years till he gets a few more oscars.
how about returning the one he has instead? I just watched TSN and it's not a bad score, but Academy award worthy?! ....maybe not

someguy

#14 Post by someguy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:08 pm

This is great news, and in context, well deserved. Just being nominated alone is in and of itself an accomplishment.

I got wind that Perry was being interviewed on KLOS and tuned in at work. Foo Fighters played a private gig over the weekend, and Perry sat in on a few songs (interestingly they were going to play pets, but it didn't pan out). Dave gave him a heads up- apparently he is on the rock hall board. No doubt he had a say in getting Jane's considered.

If they get in, they really should just let bygones be bygones and accept together. They don't even have to perform. It won't match the excitement of the NME awards, because at that point, they hadn't played together in 17 years, and that was new and fresh for all of us. However, this award is far more prestigious, and you know even Eric loves this shit (he was checking out their hollywood star recently). Dave is also shamelessly lobbying themselves on twitter. They have my vote :banana: .

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:23 pm

i don't think they have a chance. i think they do deserve it though.

change of subject not worth it's own thread

i thought this was pretty cool. yes i know perry sounds bad and there are "pews" but still cool.

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Hokahey wrote:

I have no doubt Pearl Jam gets in on their first nomination. Vedder is more or less Rolling Stone's poster boy for alt-rock.

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Matz wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
how about returning the one he has instead? I just watched TSN and it's not a bad score, but Academy award worthy?! ....maybe not
The score was unique for it's time. When he won, every other movie he was up against did the normal orchestra score.

The problem is that now he's done 6 more albums that sound just like it and it's just not that unique anymore.

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:08 pm

creep wrote:i don't think they have a chance. i think they do deserve it though.

change of subject not worth it's own thread

i thought this was pretty cool. yes i know perry sounds bad and there are "pews" but still cool.

Hurry up and get Perry in the HoF before he sounds even worse. His voice is toast. It's done. Fuck.

Also, that keyboard player has to go. I'm serious. Those pews ruin everything. So cheap and cheesy.

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
I have no doubt Pearl Jam gets in on their first nomination. Vedder is more or less Rolling Stone's poster boy for alt-rock.
The HoF loves him too. He has inducted Neil Young, The Doors, REM, and The Ramones.

I just don't see how Pearl Jam doesn't get in with their album quality, their influence, selling out stadiums around the world still today, the fact that 25 years later they are still putting albums and singles on the charts, or the fact that Ed is close to the HoF people.

They are as close to a lock as any I have ever seen nominated.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Shall we play "If Jane's Addiction gets the nod, who inducts them?"?

I say Tom Morello. or Henry Rollins.

Those are the two guys who seem to kiss their ass the most when a quote about Jane's Addiction is needed.

Noonesshocking

#21 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Shall we play "If Jane's Addiction gets the nod, who inducts them?"?

Those are the two guys who seem to kiss their ass the most when a quote about Jane's Addiction is needed.
Def Tom Morello. He's been fluffing Jann Wenner for years to ensure rage gets in on their first nomination.

drifter

#22 Post by drifter » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Shall we play "If Jane's Addiction gets the nod, who inducts them?"?

Def Tom Morello. He's been fluffing Jann Wenner for years to ensure rage gets in one their first nomination.
theses are some of there friends that played at perrys 50 bday party who seems to be tight so could be one of these

angelo moore would be cool :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#23 Post by creep » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:46 pm

out of all those people i'm pretty sure tom is perry's only friend.

if they get in it would have to be tom morello or flea i would think :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Let's play "If Jane's Addiction gets inducted into the Rock n Roll HOF, how does Warner Bros. capitalize?"

I say a giant boxset of everything they have already released, with new artwork picked out by some random goof, and a silly name like "Jane's Addiction Legacy Collection"

Cost: $570

Hokahey
Site Admin

#25 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Morello or Grohl. I read that Grohl is on the HOF board and played a role in campaigning for their nom.