Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc

Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby chaos » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:42 pm

I considered there may be some turmoil after the election results came in. Now I have additional concerns. I don't know why I had not considered (especially light of the venom currently being spouted) what is possible at the polling places. I can't wait until this horrible Presidential campaign is over.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/ele ... cel-class/

Fearing Election Day trouble, some U.S. schools cancel classes
BY PATRICK WHITTLE AND DAVID SHARP, ASSOCIATED PRESS October 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM EDT

FALMOUTH, Maine — Rigged elections. Vigilante observers. Angry voters. The claims, threats and passions surrounding the presidential race have led communities around the U.S. to move polling places out of schools or cancel classes on Election Day.

The fear is that the ugly rhetoric of the campaign could escalate into confrontations and even violence in school hallways, endangering students.

“If anybody can sit there and say they don’t think this is a contentious election, then they aren’t paying much attention,” said Ed Tolan, police chief in this seaside community, which decided to call off classes on Election Day and put additional officers on duty Nov. 8.

School officials already are on edge because of the shootings and threats that have become all too common. They point to the recent firebombing of a Republican Party office in one North Carolina county and the shooting-up of another with a BB gun as the type of trouble they fear on Election Day.

Some of those anxieties have been stoked by Donald Trump’s repeated claims that the election is rigged and his appeal to his supporters to stand guard against fraud at the polls. Some are worried about clashes between the self-appointed observers and voters.

Parent Alpay Balkir said he is glad children will be home. His 8-year-old son is a student in Falmouth, where the high school doubles as a polling place.

“If it’s going to be as chaotic as they say it’s going to be, it’s a good thing. Kids should stay out of it,” Balkir said. “I don’t know what the environment is going to be like.”

Schools are popular polling places because they have plenty of parking and are usually centrally located. It’s difficult to say how many school-based polling places have been moved this year, given how decentralized the voting process is across the country.

But state and local officials say voting has been removed or classes have been canceled on Election Day at schools in Illinois, Maine, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and elsewhere.

“There is a concern, just like at a concert, sporting event or other public gathering, that we didn’t have 15 or 20 years ago. What if someone walks in a polling location with a backpack bomb or something?” said Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp, co-chairman of the National Association of Secretaries of State election committee. “If that happens at a school, then that’s certainly concerning.”

Despite the concerns, the National Association of Secretaries of State does not advocate having armed guards or police stationed at the polls because their presence could intimidate voters.

Some of the pressure to close schools on Election Day or move voting is coming from parents. Sara Andriotis, a mother in the Easton, Pennsylvania, area, pushed for voting to be taken out of local schools.

“We were mostly concerned because of the risk that it puts our children in,” she said.

Easton Superintendent John Reinhart wanted to get voting out of schools altogether but was rebuffed by county election officials. So the school board canceled classes on Election Day.

“If you take the personalities away and cast the emotion with the election aside, one has to ask the question: ‘Are our schools the best places for that activity to take place?'” he said. “I just think we’ve reached the point where we need to look at other locations.”

That’s happening in Hall County, Nebraska, which got out ahead of the trend in May when it moved six polling places out of schools for a primary. Those changes will remain in place next month. Voting will be held at three churches and one community center.

Election officials elsewhere say that schools are vital places for voting and that removing them as polling places creates logistical headaches and voter confusion.

“We wouldn’t be able to conduct voting without them,” said Pam Anderson, executive director of the Colorado County Clerks Association. She said voting in schools has not generally been a concern in Colorado but acknowledged there is likely to be more security this year.
User avatar
chaos
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby Hokahey » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeah, yeah and killer clowns might show up and beat people to death with rubber chickens. This election is particularly contentious, but so was 2004 and 2008. Hell, I remember people vandalizing Clinton signs in '92. People need to get a grip.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby kv » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:57 pm

Yep
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby chaos » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:04 am

Hokahey wrote:Yeah, yeah and killer clowns might show up and beat people to death with rubber chickens.


Or the vigilante poll watchers. :hide:

I'll stop reading/listening to the news. I can't cope. :drink: :lol:

Image
User avatar
chaos
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby SR » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:31 am

:lol: I'd say anything is possible, but where are the trumpublicans going to riot? Kentucky? Alabama? Texas? Maybe Florida though.
User avatar
SR
 
Posts: 6168
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby kv » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:08 am

I just love "trumpanzees" the best
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby SR » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:51 am

:lolol: stealing it....
User avatar
SR
 
Posts: 6168
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby Pandemonium » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:46 pm

My wife co-manages one of the largest malls in SoCal which is hosting a polling place this year. They don't expect trouble but they are adding a lot of extra security on election day "just in case."
User avatar
Pandemonium
 
Posts: 4990
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby chaos » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:01 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-ask-judge-sanction-republicans-over-trump-001534936.html

Democrats ask judge to sanction Republicans over Trump
By Dan Levine,Reuters 20 hours ago


(Reuters) - The Democratic National Committee on Wednesday asked a U.S. judge to hold the Republican National Committee in contempt of court over allegations that Donald Trump encouraged his supporters to intimidate minority voters.

The DNC accused Republicans in a court filing of violating a longstanding consent decree, which restricts Republicans' ability to question voters at the polls and prevent those people from casting a ballot.

During the presidential campaign, Republican nominee Trump has asked followers to "watch" for fraud in the Nov.8 presidential election in certain areas where minority voters reside, even though no evidence of fraud exists, the filing said. Some of Trump's followers have pledged to do just that, the filing said.

The RNC has supported Trump's "ballot security endeavors," Democrats said in the court filing.

The RNC said the filing was completely meritless.

"The RNC strictly abides by the consent decree and does not take part directly or indirectly in any efforts to prevent or remedy vote fraud. Nor do we coordinate with the Trump campaign or any other campaign or party organization in any efforts they may make in this area," a RNC spokesperson said in an emailed statement. "The RNC remains focused on getting out the vote."

Representatives for the Trump campaign could not immediately be reached for comment.

The DNC asked a New Jersey federal judge to issue an injunction preventing the RNC from spending money on voter integrity efforts, and to instruct its field offices that no employee shall participate in any ballot security measures.

User avatar
chaos
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby erotic cheeses » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:13 pm

From an European view you guys have got real dirty! I can't believe how low this has swung
And today in 2016 people are still defending article 2 that's just bonkers
erotic cheeses
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 pm

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby mockbee » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

erotic cheeses wrote:And today in 2016 people are still defending article 2 that's just bonkers


Do you mean the 2nd Amendment? - the "we all get guns!" one? :hehe:

Because article 2 of the Constitution establishes the Executive Branch (President, cabinet, etc.) :noclue:


From an American perspective, you Europeans have a lot of similar messes yourselves! Brexit, terrible immigrant/refugee situations, hard-right leaders boiling to the surface.

Stuffs changing fast. I don't think there will be riots on the streets, but I think the decay and undisciplined nature of politics is spreading rapidly (I think it is very different than the past 30 years) and will most likely lead to not good times. A very best case scenario is an internal Cold War of economic stagnation and visceral hatred. It is actually reassuring that most people despise both candidates.
User avatar
mockbee
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:05 am

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby creep » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:51 pm

i think the united states will be in less turmoil in trump wins.

all the right wing nut jobs will just get even worse if hillary wins.

let the republicans have their four years. it won't take them long for them to turn on trump. there are checks and balances in place to keep him from doing anything too crazy. the rest of the world already hates us.

maybe in four years we can get two qualified candidates to choose from. :noclue:
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9121
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby Hype » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:13 pm

Do you seriously think Clinton isn't qualified, Creep? Why?

Of all the possible objections to her being president, being "unqualified" doesn't seem like the most obvious one... She's held serious political offices that would qualify anyone else. She has very high education. She's affluent. The only thing I can think of that she doesn't have that any other president has had is a penis. :neutral:

I can see not particularly wanting to support her because of her hawkish foreign policy, or her capitulations to economic elites -- the Clintons are nothing if not centrist opportunists. But this doesn't seem to me to be a reason not to vote for someone in this kind of situation.

I'm not sure that Trump would be as benign as you hope. But, if he is elected, I hope you're right.
User avatar
Hype
 
Posts: 6229
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby crater » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:17 pm

creep wrote:there are checks and balances in place to keep him from doing anything too crazy.


There are no checks and balances to keep him from doing anything too crazy if Republicans continue to control congress and the senate due to their gerrymandering. I'd rather we not take the very real risk of just hoping nothing bad happens for over 4 years if he actually wins this election, because we know that if Hillary wins the Republicans will do exactly what they've done the past 8 years of Obama's Presidency, which is nothing but attempt to block everything the President does and continue to waste money on bullshit investigations. They have already admitted as much if Hillary wins that her first two years in office will be spent doing nothing but testifying about Benghazi and all those fucking emails.

They've done nothing about Obama's latest Supreme Court nominee and Trump has said he's going to nominate Antonin Scalia clones. If Republicans control everything they will ram those idiots through and this country will be way worse for it.
User avatar
crater
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Bear Island

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby creep » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:24 pm

ok qualified may not be the correct word.

she is a qualified politician. maybe likeable would have been a better word?

i'm not a fan of hillary but i do want her to win. whoever wins it will further divide this country because both are hated by the opposition.
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9121
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby creep » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:28 pm

crater wrote:
creep wrote:there are checks and balances in place to keep him from doing anything too crazy.


There are no checks and balances to keep him from doing anything too crazy if Republicans continue to control congress and the senate due to their gerrymandering. I'd rather we not take the very real risk of just hoping nothing bad happens for over 4 years if he actually wins this election, because we know that if Hillary wins the Republicans will do exactly what they've done the past 8 years of Obama's Presidency, which is nothing but attempt to block everything the President does and continue to waste money on bullshit investigations. They have already admitted as much if Hillary wins that her first two years in office will be spent doing nothing but testifying about Benghazi and all those fucking emails.

They've done nothing about Obama's latest Supreme Court nominee and Trump has said he's going to nominate Antonin Scalia clones. If Republicans control everything they will ram those idiots through and this country will be way worse for it.


yeah good point. trump could really screw things up on the supreme court especially with the republicans controlling congress.
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9121
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby Hype » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:06 pm

creep wrote:ok qualified may not be the correct word.

she is a qualified politician. maybe likeable would have been a better word?

i'm not a fan of hillary but i do want her to win. whoever wins it will further divide this country because both are hated by the opposition.


That's what I wondered. In that case, I basically agree with you, though I don't know if it's worth worrying about picking a president based on whether that president will be likely to "further divide" the country. They probably thought the same thing about JFK (first Catholic president). Picking milquetoast presidents because you fear divisiveness coming out of the woodwork is kind of like only buying crackers because you fear buying fresh fruit will lead to cockroaches. :hs: I guess... I mean, maybe it's okay if the country gets a bit divided, if the divide is followers of David Duke on one side, and ... not that... on the other?
User avatar
Hype
 
Posts: 6229
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby kv » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:16 pm

Country has always been divided...nothing new
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby creep » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:02 am

kv wrote:Country has always been divided...nothing new


sure...but not to this extent. people used to have some respect for the president if they voted for them or not.

if trump wins i hope he is our best president ever. every american should want the same. :noclue:
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9121
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Postby kv » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:09 am

I disagree...people hated Nixon like the plague before Watergate...same with Carter... Bush jr...Obama...hell prob every single one...it's the internet age you get everyone's inner most thoughts for the public to see
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Next

Return to Current Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests