Anyone change their initial opinion of TGEA?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
leviticus

Anyone change their initial opinion of TGEA?

#1 Post by leviticus » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:18 pm

I still find the album much better than "Strays" and would consider it a solid effort, but the initial appeal has worn off. From an 8.5/10 to a 6.75 or 7/10. Just wondering what a week of repeated listens has left you.

cashinnowperry

Re: Anyone change their initial opinion of TGEA?

#2 Post by cashinnowperry » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Yeah, my honeymoon phase with it kind of died down, but it definitely still beats the hell out of Strays. I listened to both albums straight through today, and there is just nothing memorable from Strays, or anything I would really go out of my way to listen to. Maybe it's just because TGEA is new, but it has a lot more to offer still and I could see listening to some of these songs for a while.

bman

#3 Post by bman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:39 pm

I was away the past couple of days and listened a few times on my ipad. I like it more and more each time. I think they made a very very good album.

CaseyContrarian

#4 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah, I like it more than I did initially. Looking forward to Tuesday, so I can stop listening to the inferior iTunes streaming rip.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm

ya i said it was a 7...prob more like a 6 ...was just stoked it wasn't a joke like strays...anyway still not for me and i have deleted it after a bunch of listens...still better then i thought it would be :noclue:

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 pm

I gave it a 7 originally and still stick with that rating. However, I don't think this will be an album I'll play too often. I'll probably still buy it, but I doubt I'll listen to it in 6 months. It's not bad, though, I'm just interested in other music more than the TGEA right now.

I heard this song by The Mission today and it reminded me a little of a couple of the songs on TGEA. Obviosuly, not the vocals...

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:14 pm

After just a few listens, my opinion of it dropped. I'm going to do what I usually do with new albums that are just ok from artists I've followed for some time - rip maybe 3 or 4 songs into WAV files for my iPod, etc, add those tunes to the band's "favorites" playlist and file away the cd.

clickie

#8 Post by clickie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:25 pm

I still stand by my original opinion that this cd is what gay men listen to while they lube them selves up.

guysmiley

#9 Post by guysmiley » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:31 pm

At first listen I hated it, then it grow a little on me. Now, ehh. I feel the first half is a strong effort, but I'm not going to make excuses for them. It's just ok, and it will go of the way Strays in a while for me. Too standard pop for me on many of the songs. But, I guess that's what they have been for years.

Mescal

#10 Post by Mescal » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Artemis wrote:I gave it a 7 originally and still stick with that rating. However, I don't think this will be an album I'll play too often. I'll probably still buy it, but I doubt I'll listen to it in 6 months. It's not bad, though, I'm just interested in other music more than the TGEA right now.
That is completely how I feel about it!

And, for the record, I'm not a Strays hater. I still listen to that album from time to time, and Just Because is an excellent rock song!

nausearockpig

#11 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:21 pm

I listened to it on Saturday night and at the end I was left feeling empty and disappointed. I was not compelled to listen again. I put it on today at work and again it sounded flat, a bit of a try-hard effort but there were some bits that sounded OK.

Juana

#12 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:24 pm

I would say its about the same for me just like I said in the thread about the physical copy I would just d/l it from iTunes or something because the PDF would be just fine considering. Overall the music is pretty good and there are some spots that I really really like but I think that the cheese from some of the lyrics and the over the top trying to be modern of if kind of takes away from the album. I would still give it about a 7 or so however.

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:25 pm

i just listened to Curiosity Kills, Splash a little water, and Underground from my iphone while sitting in a hotel room.

No, my opinion hasn't changed. Still love it.

MYXYLPLYX

#14 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:37 pm

I still haven't listened to it. :wave:

I've been busy... :noclue:

Warped

#15 Post by Warped » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:53 pm

No change. I really like it. And i listened to it almost every day - i only skip I'll hit you back and leave out Words.
So still 8/10 for me.

Japhy

#16 Post by Japhy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:29 am

Still love it and i genuinely believe that i've listened to this record straight through more times already than i ever did Strays. Words is my least fave but, yeah, still making time to listen to this album. Physical copy should drop in a couple of days too.

Jasper

#17 Post by Jasper » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:47 am

I'm feeling roughly the same about it as on the first few listens.

I like it. It's good. Not a masterpiece, no, but I find it enjoyable to listen to. Certain moments really sound pretty perfect to me. I do agree that it trails off later on, although I still like Broken People OK, and I don't think Words is to bad - just overproduced, and strays (lol) a bit from the punkier sections into straighter rock.

I actually don't mind the more pop stuff - I think "I'll Hit You Back" is one of the better tracks and, stylistically, it's the first time these guys have made me think of the beach since the original run.

In most cases I don't connect it to the style of Jane's 1.0, so that helps, I guess, although when Perry's voice sounds like old Perry on parts of Underground, I enjoy it.

Japhy

#18 Post by Japhy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:05 am

Jasper wrote:I'm feeling roughly the same about it as on the first few listens.

I like it. It's good. Not a masterpiece, no, but I find it enjoyable to listen to. Certain moments really sound pretty perfect to me. I do agree that it trails off later on, although I still like Broken People OK, and I don't think Words is to bad - just overproduced, and strays (lol) a bit from the punkier sections into straighter rock.

I actually don't mind the more pop stuff - I think "I'll Hit You Back" is one of the better tracks and, stylistically, it's the first time these guys have made me think of the beach since the original run.

In most cases I don't connect it to the style of Jane's 1.0, so that helps, I guess, although when Perry's voice sounds like old Perry on parts of Underground, I enjoy it.
Good shout on Hit You Back Jasper... it was one of the tracks that i wasn't initially sure of but i started to really like the 2nd half of that song and now it all sits pretty well. Broken People is a great pop song and it's charm isn't wearing off yet... i hope it doesn't as it holds the tail end of the album together for me - although i'm still pretty happy with Splash A Little Water. These guys should tour a little bit now and then consider releasing an EP with a few of the instrumental bits and pieces that we've heard smatterings of... think that would be a great move.

Warped

#19 Post by Warped » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:15 am

I would also be happy with Dave releasing another solo album.

Jasper

#20 Post by Jasper » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:02 am

Japhy wrote:These guys should tour a little bit now and then consider releasing an EP with a few of the instrumental bits and pieces that we've heard smatterings of... think that would be a great move.
Warped wrote:I would also be happy with Dave releasing another solo album.
Interesting, because some of those great pieces that were featured in TGEA promo vids (see clips below) were not on TGEA. Dave was asked about it, and he responded that he wanted them to see the light of day, and that maybe they'd be b-sides or used for movie soundtracks, etc.

The other day, someone told me that on Dark Matter Dave had said that they'd be used on a Dave Navarro solo album. I didn't hear that myself, but that's what I was told. I imagine that if they're on a Dave album, we won't be hearing them for years :scared: , but at least that's better than never hearing them in their entirety. Frankly, I'd rather they came out soon as b-sides, promotional freebies, or on something like the EP Japhy mentioned. They could let Perry come in a shake a maraca or something so he's a part of it. :noclue:

I hope that the pieces stay instrumental. I often prefer instrumental music, and I think the clips sound phenomenal as is.

Japhy

#21 Post by Japhy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 am

Jasper wrote:They could let Perry come in a shake a maraca or something so he's a part of it.
He could pick up a guitar and try to add little bits here and there... it'd be interesting if nothing else. Failing that, maraca or cow-bell would be fine!

An EP would be a cool addition to the album, especially if they only sold them via shows or something. No, it absolutely would not be a money spinner but it would be a wise move nonetheless.

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 am

The night of the stream I gave it a 2/10. After a couple of days, I gave it a 6.5/10, and that's pretty much where it stands until today. I haven't listened to a song in the album for the last 3 or 4 days :noclue:

trevor ayer

#23 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:43 am

I am grateful that perry finally killed janes addiction dead .. you can't recover from this kind of atrocity .. perry does not want to be in janes addiction anymore .. he wants to be a modern pop singer .. perry finally made a solo album using the guys from janes addiction and the janes addiction name to draw in sales .. if this was a perry solo record no one would care or buy it .. only a hardcore janes groupie could justify listening to this record looking for signs of life .. none to be found here .. the instrumental out take jams sound more like janes than anything that made the record .. the only thing different or dangerous about this record is that it sucks .. this is not a grower .. nothing new to anyones ears .. you can pick out the coldplay, damned, yes and alanis songs they copied and turned into perrys new solo record .. calling a song 'underground' does not give you street cred .. especially when you hire drew carey to play bass and write your songs for you and some other hipster wannabe to produce it to sound radio (or more importantly, comercial) friendly.

it is an absolute insult to janes fans and even perry fans, that perry chose to combine everything bad musically he has done under the banner of janes addiction .. satelite party was much more reasonable and forgiveable .. its a perry solo record .. everyone knows it .. never before has the janes name been sold out to such an extreme by perry ... why is dave or stephen even on this record? clearly they are only there to beef out perrys pop demos that had all the parts already worked out .. all of these songs are half baked and over produced .. dave and stephen are studio musicians on this record .. nothing more .. there is nothing on this record that distinguishes dave or stephen as great at their instruments ..

hopefully and likely this record will flop completely and the so called members of janes will no longer see the name janes addiction as having any monetary draw .. hopefully then perry will just go back to making solo records like he really wants to and stop selling out one of the best bands of all time to write jingles for crappy gadget comercials

i have listened to this record about 30 times now and it gets worse each time .. janes has too much money and they will suck until they are hungry again .. not hungry for drugs or a more caviar, but actually hungry enough to make great art .. if this record flops like it should, hopefully they will put janes AWAY until they are ready to do something respectable again

Japhy

#24 Post by Japhy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:04 am

trevor ayer wrote:I am grateful that perry finally killed janes addiction dead .. you can't recover from this kind of atrocity .. perry does not want to be in janes addiction anymore .. he wants to be a modern pop singer .. perry finally made a solo album using the guys from janes addiction and the janes addiction name to draw in sales .. if this was a perry solo record no one would care or buy it .. only a hardcore janes groupie could justify listening to this record looking for signs of life .. none to be found here .. the instrumental out take jams sound more like janes than anything that made the record .. the only thing different or dangerous about this record is that it sucks .. this is not a grower .. nothing new to anyones ears .. you can pick out the coldplay, damned, yes and alanis songs they copied and turned into perrys new solo record .. calling a song 'underground' does not give you street cred .. especially when you hire drew carey to play bass and write your songs for you and some other hipster wannabe to produce it to sound radio (or more importantly, comercial) friendly.

it is an absolute insult to janes fans and even perry fans, that perry chose to combine everything bad musically he has done under the banner of janes addiction .. satelite party was much more reasonable and forgiveable .. its a perry solo record .. everyone knows it .. never before has the janes name been sold out to such an extreme by perry ... why is dave or stephen even on this record? clearly they are only there to beef out perrys pop demos that had all the parts already worked out .. all of these songs are half baked and over produced .. dave and stephen are studio musicians on this record .. nothing more .. there is nothing on this record that distinguishes dave or stephen as great at their instruments ..

hopefully and likely this record will flop completely and the so called members of janes will no longer see the name janes addiction as having any monetary draw .. hopefully then perry will just go back to making solo records like he really wants to and stop selling out one of the best bands of all time to write jingles for crappy gadget comercials

i have listened to this record about 30 times now and it gets worse each time .. janes has too much money and they will suck until they are hungry again .. not hungry for drugs or a more caviar, but actually hungry enough to make great art .. if this record flops like it should, hopefully they will put janes AWAY until they are ready to do something respectable again
That's all fine and dandy but I really need to push you for a score... shall i put you down for an 8/10? :wink:

trevor ayer

#25 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:15 am

you can put me down for 1/10 for broken people .. which is ok .. not great ..