Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
farrellgirl99

Re: Turmoil: Election Day (and the days that follow)

#76 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm

so trump makes steve bannon chief strategist and we aren't supposed to be terrified? the alt right scares the shit out of me.

Hype

#77 Post by Hype » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:50 pm

Don't call them that. That makes it sound like they're a coherent group. They're more like "American Daesh".

farrellgirl99

#78 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Hype wrote:Don't call them that. That makes it sound like they're a coherent group. They're more like "American Daesh".
Well, that makes me feel better to think of it like that, honestly.

But don't you think it's a bad sign that they're receiving national recognition? To completely over simplify it, I feel like the (re)mainstreaming of white supremacy can't be anything but a bad sign of things to come.

Hype

#79 Post by Hype » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Honestly? My facebook feed is full of academics / elites who are rightfully worried about what's going to happen, but they also seemed to be completely shocked that half the voters seriously think this stuff. But I don't think it's an issue of making hate mainstream again. I think it was a lie that progressives have been telling basically since Reagan that their views really were mainstream in the first place. Most academic elites hold radically different views from most other people -- and "we" tend to forget that. So long as the Baby Boomers are still around, the vast majority of people don't have either the progressive childhoods or the educations that we do. The vast majority of people, even those who have university degrees, just got through education to get a job, and then they went to work and they don't sit back and reflect carefully on what their beliefs, votes, etc., mean for anyone except themselves. Most people don't have degrees in the liberal arts, and most people aren't particularly concerned with progressive rights issues that don't concern them.

As an example: I'm surrounded by vegan animal rights activists. Sometimes it seems like EVERYONE I know thinks that animals have equal rights to human beings. But then I talk to normal humans and remember that the animal stuff is just a bubble. There are like 15 people who think like that, and 7.5 billion who don't. That of course doesn't mean that the suffering of animals isn't important -- the same way the fact that most men still hold "traditional" views about women doesn't mean that women's rights aren't important. Of course they are. And I think it's important to be worried about the most extreme versions of the worst views. The "Alt-Right" aren't a cohesive group precisely because most people who watch Fox News aren't activists -- in fact, almost none of them are. It's not a good thing that norms can regress or stagnate, but I don't think it's any better to shout "hate crime!" at everyone who unthinkingly voices assent to this shit. Hell, just read this: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ?CMP=fb_gu --- It's not an Onion article, but it sure sounds like one -- except that I can totally see people thinking like this. It's not like you have to have a worked out ideology to vote stupidly.
In the postscript to the 2016 US election, the inability of pollsters to gauge Donald Trump’s support in key swing states, from Florida through the rust belt to Michigan and Wisconsin, is being widely studied.

Who were these “underground” Trump voters? Were they ignored? Did they hide themselves in plain sight? The same – discredited – pollsters now say white women carried Trump to victory. But it was more than that. In North Carolina, with its rapidly changing demographics, the polls predicted a tight race. The candidates visited the state almost 30 times, each fishing for the state’s 15 electoral college votes. In her final campaign rally on the eve of Tuesday’s vote, Clinton was on stage there with Lady Gaga. Twenty-four hours later, she learned she had lost the state to Trump by four points, 51%-47% – a loss that did not guarantee his victory nationally, but strongly suggested it.

Since the result last week, many Americans who kept their Trump support private have began to reveal themselves. As with the Brexit referendum vote, the decision has caused familial rifts. Here, North Carolinian voters explain their decision-making.

James Morrison, 25
I was freaked out about Hillary because there were 33,000 emails that we’ll never know what was in there. To not let the FBI review them after you’d been subpoenaed? That’s a huge concern for me. I voted for Obama because he wanted to bring change and unity. Hillary was more talk than walk and more transparency would have been good. I have a lot of friends who voted for Hillary. If she’d kept Sanders I’d have been more inclined to go toward her, but I liked Trump on trade because it’s true we’re losing a lot of jobs to China.

Tracy Guthrie, 47
Trump was not my first pick but I’m from a military family and I don’t believe Hillary Clinton had any respect for the military. Any military person who destroys emails and lies about it would be buried underneath the jail. Trump was disgusting because of what he said about women, but he was the lesser of two evils. I don’t think everybody should be deported. I’m not homophobic, I’m not racist. I’m pro-military, and I don’t believe she is. We need a strong military because we live in crazy world.

Tova Mandissa, 43
Clinton was in the chair too long. She knows her way around truth. But Trump is a self-made man. You don’t have to be a politician to be a president, you just have to know how to better yourself. I’ve seen those TV shows – The Apprentice – and he was good with African-Americans and we need a very strong man. I like to see who someone is. You are who you are. At least he’s not the kind of person to get in the White House as one thing and then – boom – here’s who I really am. I know who he is up front. Plus they were not going to treat her right as a woman, they weren’t going to treat her fairly.

Louis Coletta, 78
I’m a small businessman and Obama never did anything for small business except tie us up in red tape. He offered hope and change, but it wasn’t change for the better, at least not for business people. The south has traditionally been very poor. The Democrats offered something for free. But I don’t want something for free. My granddad was an immigrant from Italy. His ice-cream business is now third generation. I think a man’s a fool if he has his own business and he’s a Democrat. Trump appeals to me because I think he’s going to shake things up. Everybody’s ready for change.

Scott Sandlin, 49
Trump wasn’t worried about speaking his mind. Sure he flip-flops a lot, but he was talking about the working man and bringing back jobs. He’s not a politician, got his own money so he really can’t be bought. We’d seen enough dirt on Bill and Hillary. It seemed like an old story and we needed a change. I think he’s going to shake it up. I like it when he said it was time for Republicans and Democrats to work together, to bring America back to where it was before – great. I don’t make enough from a 10-bucks-an-hour job to pay for health insurance. But I have to admit to you what my grandmother said: “When the Clintons were in before, times were great.” But times they are a-changin’, the old Bob Dylan thing.

Michael, 29
I usually vote independent. But this time I voted Trump because things ain’t working. The economy hadn’t bounced back like they wanted it to. My wife and I, we struggle. I like Trump’s business sense. He could get rid of the fraud and unnecessary expense. Hillary Clinton had a lot of experience but it wasn’t all good experience. Her trustworthy stuff was big for me. The investigations and FBI stuff might be normal for a lot of politicians, but it wasn’t normal or appropriate for me. Trump’s a businessman. It doesn’t bother me he went into bankruptcy. Not every idea can be a great idea and he climbed out of that hole.

Hype

#80 Post by Hype » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:15 am

If you REALLY need some poutine, Montreal is only a 6-hour drive from Boston.
It's actually a 4.5 hr drive on I-89... It's faster to get from Montreal to Boston than it is from Toronto to Montreal. :neutral:

Bandit72

#81 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Man, I love poutine. Does anyone deliver? (Transatlanticly)

Hype

#82 Post by Hype » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:34 pm

You live in the land of potatoes and gravy and cheese... :confused:

Bandit72

#83 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:48 am

Hype wrote:You live in the land of potatoes and gravy and cheese... :confused:
Yeh, but it's not, you know, POUTINE.

I guess unles you go to some Québécois resaurant in London you won't get it.

Artemis

#84 Post by Artemis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:05 am

Bandit72 wrote:

There's a place in Birmingham..
Gourmet poutine street food company. We offer our own twist on the Canadian masterpiece that is poutine; our mission is to bring poutine to the UK.
http://www.cariboupoutine.co.uk/

Romeo

#85 Post by Romeo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:43 am

I know ya all are trying to get me to move to the great white north by enticing me with food.

However if I am going to become a ex-pat somewhere it'll be in the Caribbean :tiphat:

SR

#86 Post by SR » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:04 am

Romeo wrote:I know ya all are trying to get me to move to the great white north by enticing me with food.

However if I am going to become a ex-pat somewhere it'll be in the Caribbean :tiphat:
Humid as fuck there all yr round. :nod:

Artemis

#87 Post by Artemis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:16 am

SR wrote:
Romeo wrote:I know ya all are trying to get me to move to the great white north by enticing me with food.

I think Romeo likes that kind of weather. And, flip flops all year round too.

SR

#88 Post by SR » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:22 am

Artemis wrote:
SR wrote:

:rockon: ....not I. As I have aged, heat and humidity have become pretty fierce enemies. Though the humidity here is really manageable, we have had 90 degree days routinely here as far as into November for years now. :jasper:

Bandit72

#89 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:54 am

Artemis wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:

There's a place in Birmingham..
Gourmet poutine street food company. We offer our own twist on the Canadian masterpiece that is poutine; our mission is to bring poutine to the UK.
http://www.cariboupoutine.co.uk/

Oh right, wicked! I shall have to find that. Shows you how often I go out, lol.

mockbee

#90 Post by mockbee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:55 pm

I've only had poutine from like a KFC in Canada. It was not good. I am sure the real thing must be better. :lol:

On a separate note. I don't think Trump is going to have a team ready to govern on Jan. 20. Maybe a man alone can win the presidency, but to run the USA.......

Gridlock is one thing. But complete incompetence is a whole other.
:wavesad:

Artemis

#91 Post by Artemis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Seems that Trump's election victory has emoldened the racists and bigots this side of the border too.

Yesterday signs were posted in a Toronto neighbourhood urging white people to join the alt-right movement. :no: :mad: :jasper:

Also, a rabbi in Ottawa woke up to a swastika spray painted on the front of the house.

:sad:

@mockbee:KFC is not the place to go for poutine. :jasper:

Romeo

#92 Post by Romeo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:29 am

SR wrote:
Artemis wrote:
SR wrote:

:rockon: ....not I. As I have aged, heat and humidity have become pretty fierce enemies. Though the humidity here is really manageable, we have had 90 degree days routinely here as far as into November for years now. :jasper:
HEY when you have a temp of 90 degrees with a real feel of 100 in the middle of July....
Actually humidity never bothers me. Unless I'm in the subway which tends to feel like a brick oven. I'll just get keratin treatments to off set frizzy hair

SR

#93 Post by SR » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:23 am

We have been routinely getting 105-107 days in summer......feels like pure hell!

Good on you for the humidity toleration level.....I melt, suffer and am soaked and miserable.

As for the hair day, nothing affects me; I haven't owned a brush or a comb since I was 14 years old. :rockon:

Romeo

#94 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:50 am

Since the election I find my comments to asshats on Huff Post and other pages getting increasingly nasty.
I'm really not a nasty person. But If I had a $1 for every time I called someone a troglodyte I could move to St Maarten

:tiphat:

#fightthepower

Romeo

#95 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:53 am

and John Oliver hit it out of the ballpark!

SR

#96 Post by SR » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:07 am

Romeo wrote:Since the election I find my comments to asshats on Huff Post and other pages getting increasingly nasty.
I'm really not a nasty person. But If I had a $1 for every time I called someone a troglodyte I could move to St Maarten

:tiphat:

#fightthepower
I have found myself saying nothing, anywhere. I, unlike the lib party line, have absolutely no hope of any reasonable discourse whatsoever. I want more Bannon's appointed and all of his children cleared for top secret intel. The former will fuck up big time and the latter will attempt to monetize on the back of information. Hopefully Article 2 Sec 4 will be enforced sooner than later.

SR

#97 Post by SR » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:08 am

Romeo wrote:and John Oliver hit it out of the ballpark!

Love him :rockon:

AdmitI

#98 Post by AdmitI » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:05 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Decent number of "Protesters Wanted" ads on Craigslist and other sites the past few days:

It turns out that all those Craigslist ads were fake.

Artemis

#99 Post by Artemis » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Vince Neil will be performing at the inauguration. :jasper:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/11/v ... erica-now/

This is the best comment. First, I said that I was surprised that the Nuge wasn't asked to perform and someone replied:
Sonia K: I'm surprised that "the Nuge" wan't asked to perform at the inauguration..
Like · Reply · 40 · 1 hr ·

Scott R Priester Good point
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 1 hr

Corrado Ferrara There aren't going to be any underage girls there, I guess.
Unlike · Reply · 6 · 1 hr

LeAnn Michelle It's early yet. Expect Hail to the Chief to be replaced by Wang Dang Sweet Poontang. :lol:
Unlike · Reply · 8 · 1 hr

Stephany Rogers My thoughts exactly.
Unlike · Reply · 2 · 1 hr

Adam M. Kern He will, don't you commies worry!

SR

#100 Post by SR » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:20 am

Looks like Vince is shit out of luck.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ny-w451509

Sixx's comment about the P grab is funny though.