The Affair

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Sue

The Affair

#1 Post by Sue » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:14 pm

New series, Sundays on Showtime. Anyone watching?

Love this show. The writing is good, it's set in Montauk and a bit in Brooklyn so I like seeing the local scenery, it's got engaging actors and the format is interesting. There's a murder and it flashes back and forth between the current interrogation and the beginning of the summer when Noah (affair partner) and his family come out for the summer and he begins his affair with a waitress at the Lobster Roll (Alison)....but the best part is how they split the hour with one half from Noah's recollection/POV and the other from Alison's. Lots of details, even down to the way they differ in memory of what she was wearing, who made the first move, all kinds of subtle points. Excellent show. Sadly only 10 episodes but it got picked up for a second season. If you're not watching, I highly recommend it.

Artemis

Re: The Affair

#2 Post by Artemis » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:40 am

I haven't heard of this show will have to check it out. The format sounds interesting.

farrellgirl99

#3 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:59 am

I love this show too. Great performances and very interesting dynamic.

I am curious as to how they will get two seasons out of this particular story though...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but I had hoped it would just be an anthology series like True Detective or AHS with different characters/affairs each year. But looks like they are sticking with these characters so we shall see.

SR

#4 Post by SR » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:08 pm

Sue wrote:New series, Sundays on Showtime. Anyone watching?

Love this show. The writing is good, it's set in Montauk and a bit in Brooklyn so I like seeing the local scenery, it's got engaging actors and the format is interesting. There's a murder and it flashes back and forth between the current interrogation and the beginning of the summer when Noah (affair partner) and his family come out for the summer and he begins his affair with a waitress at the Lobster Roll (Alison)....but the best part is how they split the hour with one half from Noah's recollection/POV and the other from Alison's. Lots of details, even down to the way they differ in memory of what she was wearing, who made the first move, all kinds of subtle points. Excellent show. Sadly only 10 episodes but it got picked up for a second season. If you're not watching, I highly recommend it.
Sounds great

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:24 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:I love this show too. Great performances and very interesting dynamic.

I am curious as to how they will get two seasons out of this particular story though...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but I had hoped it would just be an anthology series like True Detective or AHS with different characters/affairs each year. But looks like they are sticking with these characters so we shall see.
The on again/off again affair will continue, they'll drag out the murder mystery, all parties will want revenge; it could get pretty soapy. :lol:

I am intrigued by this show and think the acting is great, despite the fact that I find all of the characters are unlikeable. Well, at times Allison is okay (i.e. when we are shown her perspective).

I like the haunting theme song by Fiona Apple:

kv

#6 Post by kv » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Is this the show with the lead actor from "the wire?"

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:08 pm

can someone google that for kv please?

Sue

#8 Post by Sue » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Yes, kv, Dominic West was in the Wire.

Chaos I agree both on the title song (one of the few shows where I don't skip the opening credits because I like it) and the unlikeability factor, especially the owner of the Lobster Roll, can't remember his name right now-- he's a jackass.
farrellgirl99 wrote:I love this show too. Great performances and very interesting dynamic.

No idea how they will pull it off unless they plan a cliffhanger now that they are picked up, and won't resolve it til next season. I hope not! And TEN measly episodes is a pretty short run, unsatisfying!

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:33 pm

i power watched the series yesterday. the best way to watch a series....

i thought it was great. some of the episodes that were just about the affair were a little slow but overall a great series. really interesting characters...both mcnulty from the wire and pacey from dawsons creek were really good in it.

look forward to season 2!

blackula

#10 Post by blackula » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Really like the show too. Funny that the episodes that focussed too much on the affair were my least favorite. The politics in Montauk and the evolving murder/ mystery are way more interesting.

creep
Site Admin

#11 Post by creep » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:00 pm

not many are but i'm liking season 2 so far.

i think noah has the worst kids ever. all of them are horrible especially the oldest daughter.

blackula

#12 Post by blackula » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:02 pm

creep wrote:not many are but i'm liking season 2 so far.

i think noah has the worst kids ever. all of them are horrible especially the oldest daughter.
I'm not sure what episode we're up to, on demand was a week ahead and I don't know if I'm ahead a week, I've seen 4 episodes and I like this season a lot so far. I dig the way they're showing the different timelines and added Helen and Pacey POV.

creep
Site Admin

#13 Post by creep » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:33 pm

season three just started

first episode

farrellgirl99

#14 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:27 pm

i thought that first episode was the biggest heaping pile of trash. so fucking bad. i vaguely remember when this show was good

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i thought that first episode was the biggest heaping pile of trash. so fucking bad. i vaguely remember when this show was good
:lol: i liked it

it's probably because noah is such a hateable character now. :noclue:

chaos

#16 Post by chaos » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:58 am

Episode 2 is online already. It is much better than the first. Then again, Noah isn't in it. :lol:

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:45 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i thought that first episode was the biggest heaping pile of trash. so fucking bad. i vaguely remember when this show was good
Agree! I thought it was terrible too. I'll give the second epsiode a chance since chaos says it's better than the first one.

chaos

#18 Post by chaos » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Viewer advisory: Noah is in episode 2 for a few minutes (when Helen visits him in jail). And he's an asshole in the scene. :lol:

blackula

#19 Post by blackula » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:00 pm

I'm going to watch, haven't had a chance yet. The whole premise of the show gives it a shelf life though. I hope season 3 isn't some plodding story extending filler like 1/2 of season 2

creep
Site Admin

#20 Post by creep » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:10 pm

i just watched the second episode and was looking up during the ending credits and saw the name brendan frasier. i didn't remember him at all in any of the episodes so i googled it and he is the prison guard. father time is an asshole. i didn't recognize him.
Attachments
dsssa.jpg
dsssa.jpg (139.32 KiB) Viewed 11402 times

blackula

#21 Post by blackula » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Yeah, we watched episode 2 last night and I said to my wife "wow, look at Brendan Frasier" and she didn't believe me! I had to pull up proof on my phone to show her while we were watching. Time has not been kind. Overall good episode.

creep
Site Admin

#22 Post by creep » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:00 pm

blackula wrote:Yeah, we watched episode 2 last night and I said to my wife "wow, look at Brendan Frasier" and she didn't believe me! I had to pull up proof on my phone to show her while we were watching. Time has not been kind. Overall good episode.
he is playing quite the creepy dude but i really don't think it's too much of a stretch for him.

i know i am discriminating against my age group but it was more appealing when noah was hooking up with the hot, young allison. maybe the french woman will grow on me?? i'm sure noah will still sleep with a few students, allison and his ex before the season is over though.

chaos

#23 Post by chaos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:29 am

I liked episode 3 the least so far - okay I hated it. Looking forward to episode 4 (looks like an Allison/Cole storyline).

farrellgirl99

#24 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:31 pm

im not sure i can keep watching this :lol: tonight was so painful - noah is the worst character on tv

creep, did you like this one too? :lol:

Eric B.

#25 Post by Eric B. » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I started to watch this last week and am nearing the end of season 2 no. I like it. I like that it feels like a balanced story over more than 1 season. So often you see a good first season with only crap after that.