Janes Nominated for HOF

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
someguy

Re: Janes Nominated for HOF

#101 Post by someguy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:36 pm

FYI fan voting got screwed up somehow, and now everyone has until December 15th to vote instead of Dec. 5th. Kinda sucks we have to wait longer.

someguy

#102 Post by someguy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Also found this

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... f-fame-bid

Dave and Perry has done a lot of press lately with NYT, rollingstone, etc. Usually you do that when you're in...

panicparty

#103 Post by panicparty » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:49 am

I think maybe they're doing the press because they're getting asked - I don't get the impression that Jane's have been top of any editor's "must get an interview with them" list for some time, and now the HoF thing gives them an "in"

Noonesshocking

#104 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 am

someguy wrote:Also found this

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... f-fame-bid

Dave and Perry has done a lot of press lately with NYT, rollingstone, etc. Usually you do that when you're in...
That's actually a great interview. Genuinely classy and substantive comments from Perry.

I kinda cringed at the "tell me about the first time you and dave got together" question, because I could tell the interviewer did not understand the true dynamics of the band. In answering that question, it was great that Perry emphasized what he and Eric had been doing up to that point, and also how much Stephen made all the difference. Seems that he truly would like the four of them to attend and mend fences if they are inducted.

Hype

#105 Post by Hype » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:49 am

Perry claims the second guitarist's name was "Mark"... I don't think that's ever been mentioned in any history of JA that I've seen. They always mention Ed and Matt...

SR

#106 Post by SR » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:48 am

This group is really lobbying hard for votes. Their fb feed is offering a lot of propaganda. I saw one the other day with Perkins drumming horribly and then turning on the charm with solicitations and instructions on voting rules. Really fuckpiggish.

someguy

#107 Post by someguy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Jane's still in 12th coming down the home stretch. Still doesn't mean much. Surprisingly depeche mode is in sixth.

Artemis

#108 Post by Artemis » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:48 am

Results of the fan vote are in:

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/resu ... an-voting/
Results of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Fan Voting Are In
Tomorrow is when we hear which acts will be included in the class of 2017 for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Ahead of that, though, the Hall has released the results of the fan voting component. While the final list of inductees will be determined by the old boys club that runs the place, they offer up a sop to fans to make us think we have any say in the matter. We don’t really, of course. The masses are treated as just one single vote for each nominee. Now consider that there are over 800 of the old boys. You can see how much weight the public has.

Still, it’s interesting to see what the public would choose if they were in charge. Here are the results for this year’s fan voting.

Journey – 250,758
ELO – 210,830
Yes – 189,099
Pearl Jam – 153,458
The Cars – 149,911
Depeche Mode – 117,749
Steppenwolf – 111,001
Tupac – 100,776
The J. Geils Band – 94,061
The Zombies – 85,799
Janet Jackson – 76,556
Jane’s Addiction – 57,311
Joan Baez – 56,310
Chaka Khan – 52,702
MC5 – 41,791
Chic – 37,049
Kraftwerk – 39,744
Bad Brains – 35,448
Joe Tex – 20,172
None of the above will matter in the grand scheme of things, but I’m hoping that the old boys at the Hall will vote in Kraftwerk. Name another band that influenced post-punk, industrial, techno-pop, synth-pop, hip-hop, dance, techno…

Matz

#109 Post by Matz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 pm

ELO 210000!? And Kraftwerk only 40000? Surprising

nausearockpig

#110 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:12 pm

I like ONE band in that list.... :lolol:

creep
Site Admin

#111 Post by creep » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:50 pm

at least they got more votes than chaka khan.

elo was a great band. they deserve it and so does depeche mode if we stretch the "rock" part which they do.

Noonesshocking

#112 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:18 pm

I honestly feel like if Dave Grohl has anything to do with it, Jane's and Bad Brains will get in tomorrow.

DG's influence aside, I do think Jane's legitimately deserves to get in over, say, Yes (as much as I dig them and as talented as they are). Even if you take musical preferences out of the equation, their link to lolla should be influential enough. We shall see tomorrow.

Bandit72

#113 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:46 am

Electric Light Orchestra, Joan Baez, Journey, Tupac, Yes (official), Pearl Jam and Nile Rodgers

SR

#114 Post by SR » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:46 am

SR wrote:I don't think they'll get in. PJ, DM, Tupac, Joan Baez and either Mc5 or Yes (probably Yes).
Well, I was almost spot on. Wrong, obviously on DM v Journey. Should have known....pretty dumb, but Journey is one of two bands I consider to be among the most wretched pieces of shit ever to fumble with music. Neil Schon has an iota of cred with work with Santana, but otherwise along with Def Leppard, Journey evokes a visceral negative response from me whenever I have the misfortune of stumbling across them.

Like NIN this year, I see JA being ignored next year as well. :nod:

Romeo

#115 Post by Romeo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:53 am

SR wrote:
SR wrote:I don't think they'll get in. PJ, DM, Tupac, Joan Baez and either Mc5 or Yes (probably Yes).
Well, I was almost spot on. Wrong, obviously on DM v Journey. Should have known....pretty dumb, but Journey is one of two bands I consider to be among the most wretched pieces of shit ever to fumble with music. Neil Schon has an iota of cred with work with Santana, but otherwise along with Def Leppard, Journey evokes a visceral negative response from me whenever I have the misfortune of stumbling across them.

and to add to this:
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. The Foundation's nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category.
:noclue: :hs:
How exactly does Journey fit this criteria?

SR

#116 Post by SR » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:03 am

Romeo wrote:
SR wrote:

and to add to this:
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. The Foundation's nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category.
Significant cash flow to sign other acts by record companies. :noclue:

bman

#117 Post by bman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:04 am

Damn! That sucks. I thought they were getting in. Fuck that list.

Hype

#118 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:24 am

:lol:

Pandemonium

#119 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:53 am

Romeo wrote:
Lotta payola and dick sucking. I don't get why they were even nominated, much less got in. I can think of a dozen shitty white bread soft rock bands from the late 70's/early 80's like Kansas, Styx and REO Speedwagon that had more of an edge, more creativity and more sales than Journey. It's kinda ironic, but the first outdoor stadium show I ever saw was ELO and Journey at the Anaheim Stadium in 1978.

JOEinPHX

#120 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:58 am

Oh, what a surprise, Pearl Jam got in and Jane's Addiction didn't. No one could have predicted... :lol:

Noonesshocking

#121 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:57 am

Maybe if they do a Strays full album tour that'll seal the deal for next year.

nausearockpig

#122 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:Maybe if they do a Strays full album tour that'll seal the deal for next year.
:lolol: Good one, now you've put another performance art idea into Perry's head..... thanks for ruining 2017 already.....

bman

#123 Post by bman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:04 pm

So who really votes for the Hall anyway? Is it board members of the Hall? Or current/past Rolling Stone editors?

Nothing against ELO or Yes, I grew up on classic rock radio and songs from both of those bands certainly ended up on my mix tapes, but were they really a part of any cultural movement or era? I totally agree on Pearl Jam, and even Joan Baez with a nod to the past, but I don't understand how ELO or Yes were more relevant than Janes. Hopefully next year they get in, before Perry turns 60!

Pandemonium

#124 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:48 pm

bman wrote:So who really votes for the Hall anyway? Is it board members of the Hall? Or current/past Rolling Stone editors?

Nothing against ELO or Yes, I grew up on classic rock radio and songs from both of those bands certainly ended up on my mix tapes, but were they really a part of any cultural movement or era? I totally agree on Pearl Jam, and even Joan Baez with a nod to the past, but I don't understand how ELO or Yes were more relevant than Janes. Hopefully next year they get in, before Perry turns 60!
The RnRHoF board is composed of mostly music industry suits headed by Jann Wenner co-founder of the HoF (and Rolling Stone rag)' music critic/gigantic douchbag Dave Marsh and Jon Landau (Springsteen's manager). I don't believe there are any actual musicians on the nominating committee. The nominating and voting process has been kept totally secret, thus insuring the ass kissing and industry cock sucking continues unabatted. However, some people on the inside have commented that artists are chosen through record label politics/lobbying, who can be the best draws for the live event and of course, personal relationships to those on the board - all issues far below the actual worthiness of possible inductees. Often, bands that are in the middle of tours or planning big reunions get chosen.

nausearockpig

#125 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
bman wrote:So who really votes for the Hall anyway? Is it board members of the Hall? Or current/past Rolling Stone editors?

The RnRHoF board is composed of mostly music industry suits headed by Jann Wenner co-founder of the HoF (and Rolling Stone rag)' music critic/gigantic douchbag Dave Marsh and Jon Landau (Springsteen's manager). I don't believe there are any actual musicians on the nominating committee. The nominating and voting process has been kept totally secret, thus insuring the ass kissing and industry cock sucking continues unabatted. However, some people on the inside have commented that artists are chosen through record label politics/lobbying, who can be the best draws for the live event and of course, personal relationships to those on the board - all issues far below the actual worthiness of possible inductees. Often, bands that are in the middle of tours or planning big reunions get chosen.
So basically, it's just utter bullshit and can't be taken seriously at all.