MY 10/17 IRVING PLAZA REVIEW

Tour dates, set lists, show reviews
bman

MY 10/17 IRVING PLAZA REVIEW

#1 Post by bman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:19 pm

I just got home and I'm sweating bullets. Janes did not come on till after 10:30. I went to Belmont Lounge around the corner at around 7 and started having drinks. This bar is right next to the back stage entrance so I saw Perk, Chaney, Etty and Perry all leave after sound check. Pretty cool actually. I met some people who were also there for the show so I started getting pretty psyched. So after 2 terrible opening acts the lights go off and Janes opens with Up The Beach which was fucking great.

I think everyone here knows I love Janes and have been seeing Janes/Perry shows since 1991. Here the deal. I also love the new album. So I was REALLY hoping that I would get a new show. I mean LA got LA Medley. So I thought maybe NYC would get Rock N Roll by Velvet right? But No..Even with a BRAND NEW CD out tomorrow, we still got the nostalgic set. Now don't get me wrong, the show was high energy, and had a HUGE mosh pit ( which I was involved) and stage divers, but a nostalgic show nontheless...They will always give their all, but I sometimes feel that they are trying to Act like old janes..rather than be a band in the moment. Where the fuck where the new songs?

I know many people here, or at old xiola ,would blame Perry. Fuck that. They are 1 band. Towards the end Dave picked out some chick and she went and watched the last 3 songs from the side of the stage. So that's what it's come to. A talented ass band that puts out a great CD (IMO), only to play the hits for sing a longs and to get laid!

Go the show b/C it's Janes. They sound great. They are still my heroes and still put on a fantastic show. But man these fuckers need to forget their pasts already and become a band in the moment.

1.Up the Beach
2.Whores
3.Just Because
4.Ain't No Right
5.Ted, Just Admit It...
6.Been Caught Stealing
7.Undergorund
8.Ocean Size
9.Three Days
10.Irresistible Force
11.Mountain Song
12.Stop!
13. Jane Says

creep
Site Admin

Re: MY 10/17 IRVING PLAZA REVIEW

#2 Post by creep » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:23 pm

honestly you had to of known that was the setlist you were going to get.

we all complained during ninja that the setlists didn't change. it now seems much worse.... :noclue:

kv

#3 Post by kv » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:27 pm

exactly, you got a new song never played before thats about the best you could hope for... 2 new songs, rest old..90% of the people that go to janes show now would be dissapointed with a show full of new songs

bman

#4 Post by bman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:29 pm

I purposely avoided looking at the setlists from these other club shows just for that reason! I watched LA MEdley from Anson and then thought these shows would be different. Going through the motions again.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 pm

jaft was a throw back to the old only reason la medly came out and prob last time it gets played for years

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 pm

tomorrow you will get:

then she did and lose up the beach

that will probably be the only difference.

Warped

#7 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:50 am

bman wrote: But man these fuckers need to forget their pasts already and become a band in the moment.

Well they always say the past is the past to their critics and :blah:

But i am not surprised at all of that setlist. :noclue: They or at least Perry needs SOME time to practise them....sadly.

How was Underground???

I hope in case they come to Europe next year they'll include more new songs in the set. Dave at least said on DM that he really would love to. I will go see them anyway cause i so rarely have the opportunity to see them live (as well as my other fave bands who apparently all do not love Europe that much :wavesad: )

Listening to TGEA atm by the way....

Japhy

#8 Post by Japhy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:02 am

got to admit that that is pretty disappointing news. Like you said, i'm sure the show was great, but jesus christ they have to mix it up... and extend it. Sticking to 13 songs is ridiculous.

Hope you get a decent change to the set tonight.

Romeo

#9 Post by Romeo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:22 am

Man I was right! Updating the OS on my iPhone last night was more interesting than that set list! :thumb:

Here's to not wasting my money :drink:

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:34 am

damn, I'm sorry for ya, Bman...

They have a new album, for fucks sake. And not a bad one. Promote your stupid songs, assholes!! Play them live!! Be a fucking attempt of a real band!! Sons of bitches!

tubro

#11 Post by tubro » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:14 am

the thing that saddens me is that they're either not dying to play their new stuff or they don't have confidence in their ability to please their crowd unless they play the set they're "expected" to play.
and it would be so easy since their set is so short anyway. just add three songs - all new. or two, if three are too hard on perry's voice or dave's time away from a mirror and strippers.

or, maybe its just too hard for them to work this stuff out as a quartet on stage, obviously particularly the guitar parts. if that's the case and they rehearse for a tour and add a stage guitarist or incorporate recorded sections, and then come back with a new set, i guess that would get them a pass for these shows which could be viewed as just a 'return to small clubs' which are just poorly timed to coincide with the date they dropped their new album, only to ignore it in their set.

but its still weird and lazy and sort of bullshit. i can't help thinking of radiohead, who also make new records that are studio intensive, dense sonic works but then, when they go on the road, obviously can't wait to play all their newest stuff (at roseland the other week they played all of the king of limbs but one sing, plus two newer songs that aren't even on the album), and put in the time to work them out as live pieces. i just find it astounding that jane's worked as hard as they did on this new set of songs and are obviously desirous of promoting it and are saying how much they love it, but none of that rises to the level of wanting to play it live.

i'll miss then she did tonite, which is a drag because i love that song and haven't heard it in a while. and maybe one different new song. and maybe even one cool old surprise. and i believe bman that the show was great and lots of fun and i'm happy for him for having a good time and for everyone who loved last night and will love tonite. i'm absolutely sure i'd have a lot of fun, as i always do, watching them run thru their set. but i'm hung over from the jets game last night (and the 5 hour tailgate that preceded it and the hour ride home) so i'm 99% sure i'm going to pass on this show. its pretty much like watching a rerun, even a rerun of a film i love. sometimes i'm in the mood and sometimes i'm not. if they didn't have new music, and i hadn't seen this set from a few feet away at terminal 5 so recently, i'd probabaly go. but it just feels a bit empty so i'm going to stay home and watch sons of anarchy.

(unless of course that 1% chance takes over and i walk over there at 10. if that happens i'll post a review afterwards. the sad thing is that i could pretty much write that review in advance.)

bman

#12 Post by bman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:05 am

By the way they released a handfull of tickets at 7:00. I saw some guy walk up at 7:00 and pay face value at the box office. So you may want to do that. I remember seeing JA at Irving in 03 right before Strays was released and they played 6 Fucking songs off it. True Nature, Strays, Just Because, Wrong Girl, Price I Pay, and the Riches! In fact, that show they didn't play Aint No Right, Mountain or BCS!

NOTE TO JANES: YOU GUYS ROCK..NOW PLAY YOUR NEW FUCKING SONGS! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LJF

#13 Post by LJF » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:13 am

bman thanks for the review. I've got tickets for the AC show on Friday and I'm sticking with that. Not going to try to get a ticket for tonight.

Larry B.

#14 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:34 am

Unfortunately, once again I must blame Perry.

For what we've seen in videos of their latest shows, the band sounds pretty tight. Musically, Underground was spot on. However, Perry fails to deliver.

Maybe it's because Dave, Perk and Chaney spent a lot more time together in the studio and they've already played these new songs hundreds of times... can't say the same about Perry.

:banghead:

trevor ayer

#15 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:41 am

u cant really expect new songs from them yet .. the record just came out today officially

they don't have anything resembling a hit single the way say "just because" was a hit

just because was catchy enough to get an audience interested even tho it pissid off all the real janes fans

nothing on the new record is strong enough to have that kind of draw or interest .. and nothing sounds like the real janes addiction either

there will be a lack of confidence in playing the new material

end to the lies tanked

irresistable force is in some comercials so they will play that

underground is the new single so it replaces end to the lies

janes is reliable in that they will play shit off the new record once it comes out .. consider that they played practically nothing from ritual when touring nothings shocking .. they were sitting on classic girl and 3 days but they never got played

during kettle they played kettle
during strays they played most of the record

they will likely do more of excape artist as the tour progresses, unless the sales tank

you get either 4 escape songs with the hits ... or just the hits with one or 2 escape songs .. no point in wishing for more .. its not gonna happen

blackula

#16 Post by blackula » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 am

At least we got Thank You Boys for 30 seconds and above average Perry banter. I also thought Perry sounded great, he seemed to do a lot less whisper, lounge singing and delivered with more balls. ANR had more attitude than usual. I agree though, the set list is tired. Jane Says encore is played out and I was hoping for 4-5 new songs, but overall I thought that they were on fire last night. My favorite Perry quote from last night was when he kept talking about his Jewish Wine and points to someone in front of the stage and goes"Yeah I'm a Jew, I'll punch you in the face Fatso!"

bman

#17 Post by bman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:52 am

Even if they refuse to play more than 2 new songs how about just mixing in different old ones! I've seen this band so many times that I know exactly what's coming next even without viewing the recent set list.

How about Had a Dad, Idiots Rule, Pigs in Zen, Then SHe Did...Janes....your songs are great. the audience can handle nights without Jane Says, BCS or Mountain! MY GOD!

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:16 am

Like it's already been said in this thread, this run of shows is basically the same old, same old with Just Because and a couple of the songs off the new album crammed into the usual 80 minute set. It's why I skipped the Fonda shows a few weeks back. I saw the same stuff with Eric 3 times in '09 and with Duff last year. Throwing in JB and a one-off covers medley (and I'm not as totally enamored of LA Medley as most here seem to be) is hardly a blip in making the set much different, imo.

This ideally should be the pre-TGEA promo tour which the band *should* be plugging at least 4 - 6 new songs into the set. It's just lazy of the band to do this run of shows and not have more new songs in the set. The fact they are playing small venues *should* have been enough of a draw regardless of what songs they played. There's just no need to play the same dozen tunes especially when balanced against such a short setlist. I suspect part of it is they just took too much time recording the album right up to the last minute to amply work out live arrangements of more new material in advance of these shows but that's still their fault.

One *major* thing that's going to have to change in 2012, especially if they think they're going to do any sort of headlining tour in decent sized venues with a production (as Perry hinted at) is people (diehard fans and casual concert-goers) are *not* going to settle for a sub-15 song set. Padding it out with breaks so street performers can fuck around onstage and in the audience while Perry gets hits off the oxygen tank and Dave and Stephen get high isn't going to cut it this time around.

Pandemonium

#19 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:40 am

trevor ayer wrote:u cant really expect new songs from them yet .. the record just came out today officially
That's ridiculous. Now is exactly the time they should be plugging a bunch of new songs off the new album. Fucking U2 who are the most poorly rehearsed bunch of musicians on the planet have been doing these sort of promo tours prior to a new album release date for the past decade and they play about half of whatever the new albums tracks might be on such promo tours.
trevor ayer wrote:janes is reliable in that they will play shit off the new record once it comes out .. consider that they played practically nothing from ritual when touring nothings shocking .. they were sitting on classic girl and 3 days but they never got played
Wrong. They were playing plenty of then-unreleased songs off of Ritual during the Nothings Shocking tour and even before NS was released. Basically, everything that is on the pre-Nothing's Shocking Warner Bros demos (which include over half the songs on Ritual) on the Cabinet Box set was played at various shows from '87 onwards. And even talking about the ramp-up to Strays, the '02 NYE show at The Wiltern I saw, they played 3 songs off the album which wasn't released until 7 months later in '03. They were playing like 5 or 6 songs off it when they played shows a full month before the record came out.

trevor ayer

#20 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:50 am

Pandemonium wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:u cant really expect new songs from them yet .. the record just came out today officially
That's ridiculous. Now is exactly the time they should be plugging a bunch of new songs off the new album. Fucking U2 who are the most poorly rehearsed bunch of musicians on the planet have been doing these sort of promo tours prior to a new album release date for the past decade and they play about half of whatever the new albums tracks might be on such promo tours.
trevor ayer wrote:janes is reliable in that they will play shit off the new record once it comes out .. consider that they played practically nothing from ritual when touring nothings shocking .. they were sitting on classic girl and 3 days but they never got played
Wrong. They were playing plenty of then-unreleased songs off of Ritual during the Nothings Shocking tour and even before NS was released. Basically, everything that is on the pre-Nothing's Shocking Warner Bros demos (which include over half the songs on Ritual) on the Cabinet Box set was played at various shows from '87 onwards. And even talking about the ramp-up to Strays, the '02 NYE show at The Wiltern I saw, they played 3 songs off the album which wasn't released until 7 months later in '03. They were playing like 5 or 6 songs off it when they played shows a full month before the record came out.
i think you are not understanding my words .. i know full well they used to play tons of great shit in 86 87 .. my fav period and there most electifying sets for sure

once they had a record to promote .. nothings shocking .. on a big label wb .. they pretty much stuck to that record with other songs thrown in and a lot of great songs left out .. like 3 days and classic girl .. so yes they played those songs before, but once they had to promote nothings shocking .. they ditched all that and stuck mostly to the record they were promoting .. once the record came out RITUAL they promoted those songs too .. all i am saying is that now that they are a bib corporate band .. they will promote the record .. they always do .. unless it fails to register on the charts .. then they may revert to the greatest hits record ... the new stuff is not strong enough to do much with before the record comes out .. its not like anyone is gonna hear irreststable force live and want to buy the record .. they will mostly likely be thinking what the fuck was that song... it works in reverse for them now .. they awill play what they think is familiar to the audianece due to corporate saturation, not because they think the song is good enouch to hang with ocean size or jane says

bman

#21 Post by bman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:01 am

There is absolutely NO excuse to continue playing nothing but the same 10 songs every night. No excuse. Horribly lame.

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:04 am

trevor ayer wrote:i think you are not understanding my words .. i know full well they used to play tons of great shit in 86 87 .. my fav period and there most electifying sets for sure

once they had a record to promote .. nothings shocking .. on a big label wb .. they pretty much stuck to that record with other songs thrown in and a lot of great songs left out .. like 3 days and classic girl .. so yes they played those songs before, but once they had to promote nothings shocking .. they ditched all that and stuck mostly to the record they were promoting .. once the record came out RITUAL they promoted those songs too .. all i am saying is that now that they are a bib corporate band .. they will promote the record .. they always do .. unless it fails to register on the charts .. then they may revert to the greatest hits record ... the new stuff is not strong enough to do much with before the record comes out .. its not like anyone is gonna hear irreststable force live and want to buy the record .. they will mostly likely be thinking what the fuck was that song... it works in reverse for them now .. they awill play what they think is familiar to the audianece due to corporate saturation, not because they think the song is good enouch to hang with ocean size or jane says
I think I'm understanding your... backpeddling ... just.. perfectly... son.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#23 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:21 am

They've explained that the crowd wants to hear the hits, and how they think certain songs work best live. That's what they're sticking with.

However, much like Strays, when they tour proper for TGEA I would fully expect 4-5 songs from that album in the set each night along with the standards. The "Casey" songs are gone forever (I'm asusming), and the rest aren't "hits" or songs that "rock the crowd."

bman

#24 Post by bman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:38 am

Moutain Song and Aint No Right are hardly hits. Where is the artistry is playing the same songs night after night. Just laziness.

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am

The pre-Escape Artist "signature" songs which I expect to be forever stuck in the set at this point are Mountain Song, Jane Says, Three Days, Stop and BCS and I suppose Just Because. That's between what the band considers their mainstay "anchor" songs and the biggest "hits." As a long time fan, I don't have a problem with that number of (classic and great) songs forever stuck in the setlist. For most artists, that's a decent encore after a 90 minute main set.

Everything else including *any* other tune off NS/Ritual should be a wild card by now and any absence or inclusion wouldn't be an issue for any casual concert-goer so you're left with the choice of either the band just doesn't get what it's audience can handle from show to show or they're limited by a combination of musical laziness and *someone's* desire to simply ignore certain songs in their back catalog.