The Dead Musicians thread

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Artemis

Re: The Dead Musicians thread

#101 Post by Artemis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Larry Steinbachek, founding member of Bronski Beat, 58.

Probably not too many fans here, but I loved them in the 80s when I was in high school.

http://www.musicvaultz.com/2017/01/16/r ... 43b50ff41b

Another huge loss for the music community: Larry Steinbachek, founding member of British synthpop group Bronski Beat, has died at the age of 56.

Steinbachek was battling cancer and passed away in December, but it was not announced publicly until this past week.

The band was formed by Steinbachek, Sommerville and Steve Bronski started the group in 1983. All three members were openly gay at the time of their signing to London Records the following year. Their biggest song, “Smalltown Boy,” went to #3 on the UK charts and topped the US dance charts.

The group notched a couple more Top 10 hits in the UK like “Why?” (#6) and “I Feel Love (Medley)” with Marc Almond (#3). Sommerville left the group and was replaced by John Foster, who helped propel the group to the Top 10 again with “Hit That Perfect Beat” (charting at #7 on the US Dance charts as well.)

Steinbachek would leave the group in 1995 but continued his career in music and musical theatre.

Rest in peace, Larry. Your ability to break down barriers will never be forgotten.
IMO, this is still a great tune and stands the test of time.

drifter

#102 Post by drifter » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Tommy Allsup, guitarist who backed Buddy Holly, Kenny Rogers and others, dies at 85
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/tom ... ar-AAlOudp

Bandit72

#103 Post by Bandit72 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 am

Probably not too many fans here, but I loved them in the 80s when I was in high school.
I was only listening to the age of consent the other day. Magnificent album.

Artemis

#104 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Butch Trucks, 69
Drummer and one of the founders of the Allman Brothers band.

Earlier this week...

RIP Pete Overend Watts(Mott the Hoople)

RIP Jaki Liebezeit (CAN)

Artemis

#105 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Tom Edwards, 41. Guitarist and musical director for Adam Ant.

I actually have tickets for the Adam Ant show on the 29th. I wonder who will replace Tom Edwards

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/adam_an ... ards_death

TOM EDWARDS, GUITARIST AND MUSICAL DIRECTOR FOR ADAM ANT, PASSES AWAY
(CHERRY HILL, NJ) January 26, 2017 … Tom Edwards, 41, guitarist and MD for Adam Ant, passed away yesterday from suspected heart failure at Kennedy Hospital in Cherry Hill, NJ.
Tom was on tour with the band as part of the North American Kings of the Wild Frontier tour that began two nights ago in Washington DC. He was found unresponsive then rushed to the hospital where he passed away yesterday in the late afternoon.
An autopsy is pending. No further details are known at this time.
Tom was an esteemed guitarist throughout his career and had played with Roddy Frame, Fields of the Nephilim, Rebelles, Edwyn Collins, Andrea Corrs, Arno Castens and Spiderbites.
“On behalf of Adam and his band, we thank all of you for your best wishes and support during this most difficult time, Tom shared his musical gifts with the world and his spirit will live on forever.”
In order to pay respects to their honored bandmate, Adam and his band have postponed their upcoming concerts at The Keswick Theatre in Philadelphia (January 26) and Webster Hall in New York City (January 27), but will resume the tour at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto (January 29).

Artemis

#106 Post by Artemis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Jazz singer,Al Jarreau dies at 76, just days after retirement

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 76-w466441

SR

#107 Post by SR » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:05 am

Real fuckin loss here. RIP....Clyde Stubblefield.....James Brown Drummer

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 73-w467805

Artemis

#108 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:03 am

RIP Joni Sledge
who with her sisters recorded the enduring dance anthem "We Are Family," has died, the band's representative said Saturday.

She was 60.

Sledge was found dead in her home by a friend in Phoenix, Arizona, on Friday, the band's publicist, Biff Warren, said. A cause of death has not been determined. He said she had not been ill.

"On yesterday, numbness fell upon our family. We welcome your prayers as we weep the loss of our sister, mother, aunt, niece and cousin," read a family statement.

Sledge and her sisters Debbie, Kim and Kathy formed the Sister Sledge in 1971 in Philadelphia, their hometown, but struggled for years before success came.

We thank you in advance for allowing us the privacy to mourn quietly as a family. We miss her and hurt for her presence, her radiance, and the sincerity with which she loved & embraced life. We love you & God Bless You all. The Sledge Family."

Matz

#109 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 pm

i thought it was Sheila E when I first saw the photo.....anyway RIP

blackcoffee

#110 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Artemis wrote:Larry Steinbachek, founding member of Bronski Beat, 58.

http://www.musicvaultz.com/2017/01/16/r ... 43b50ff41b

Another huge loss for the music community: Larry Steinbachek, founding member of British synthpop group Bronski Beat, has died at the age of 56.

Steinbachek was battling cancer and passed away in December, but it was not announced publicly until this past week.

The band was formed by Steinbachek, Sommerville and Steve Bronski started the group in 1983. All three members were openly gay at the time of their signing to London Records the following year. Their biggest song, “Smalltown Boy,” went to #3 on the UK charts and topped the US dance charts.

The group notched a couple more Top 10 hits in the UK like “Why?” (#6) and “I Feel Love (Medley)” with Marc Almond (#3). Sommerville left the group and was replaced by John Foster, who helped propel the group to the Top 10 again with “Hit That Perfect Beat” (charting at #7 on the US Dance charts as well.)

Steinbachek would leave the group in 1995 but continued his career in music and musical theatre.

Rest in peace, Larry. Your ability to break down barriers will never be forgotten.
IMO, this is still a great tune and stands the test of time.

I was a fan, and have been listening to them a lot recently because I recently watched Pride with my family (great film BTW that focused on an unlikely alliance between Welsh miners and gay activists). Was actually wondering if they'd tour as many 80s bands are.

Artemis

#111 Post by Artemis » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:25 am

blackcoffee wrote:
I was a fan, and have been listening to them a lot recently because I recently watched Pride with my family (great film BTW that focused on an unlikely alliance between Welsh miners and gay activists). Was actually wondering if they'd tour as many 80s bands are.
Pride was excellent, truly a "feel good" film.

Bronski Beat's music still holds up well after all these years. I would definitely go if there was a tour as I missed them the first time around.

crater

#112 Post by crater » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:57 pm

crater

#113 Post by crater » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Here is a ticket stub from one of, if not the very first show, I ever attended. It was 7 days after my 10th birthday and Chuck Berry was the headlining act that night. I don't remember much of the show, but I can say that I actually saw the man do his thing that night.

Pandemonium

#114 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 am

Berry lived a long, full life and is probably the single greatest influence on rock n' roll - period. Keith Richards owes his entire musical dna to Berry. He had an interesting work ethic, when he'd tour hard during the 60's - 80's, he wouldn't bring a band, he'd hire whatever local cover band was available in the cities he'd tour, pay them cash, expect them to know *all* his songs *without a setlist* with no rehearsals. He'd basically show up at the venue and play with whatever band he hired that night for the first time which would often result in horrible performances. a 20-something year old Bruce Springsteen was one of the musicians on an East Coast run in the early 70's.

The documentary "Hail Hail Rock n' Roll" made in the late 80's is essential viewing even if you're not a big fan of that era of music.

guysmiley

#115 Post by guysmiley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 am

He was always the king in my book. Yeah, glad he lived a full life. He was playing until the end. I used to try to play all his licks when I was starting out. He basically invented rock n roll guitar as we think of it today. Always wanted to see him live even if the show was a mess.

drifter

Sib Hashian, Drummer for the Band Boston

#116 Post by drifter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Sib Hashian, Drummer for the Band Boston, Collapses and Dies Mid-Performance on Cruise Ship
http://people.com/music/boston-drummer- ... hian-dead/

SR

#117 Post by SR » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:01 am

Not known for his musicianship, Marshall dead at 88.....interesting snippets of info on the stacks evolution and those who used them...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... 692bef7c71

Pandemonium

#118 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:34 am

SR wrote:Not known for his musicianship, Marshall dead at 88.....interesting snippets of info on the stacks evolution and those who used them...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... 692bef7c71
Erm, Marshall died in 2012. This is the 5th anniversary of his passing though.

SR

#119 Post by SR » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:33 am

:lol: Who's Erm? Ah, I rely on my feed too much. It came up on my Yahoo page this am. :noclue: Still, an interesting read I think. And he's still dead :agree:

creep
Site Admin

#120 Post by creep » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Not a musician but Don Rickles was one of the greats. :wavesad:

chaos

#121 Post by chaos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:22 pm

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/11/g ... ad-groton/

Guitarist J. Geils Found Dead In Groton Home
April 11, 2017 8:05 PM

J. Geils of the J. Geils Band perfoms at Fenway Park on August 14, 2010. (Photo by John W. Ferguson/Getty Images)

GROTON (CBS) – John Warren Geils, the founder and lead guitarist of the J. Geils Band, has died.

His body was found at his home in Groton on Tuesday. He was 71 years old.

Geils studied mechanical engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute and formed the band that gained national fame with hits like “Centerfold,” “Freeze Frame” and others that climbed the charts in the 80s.

No other details about his death were made available.

kv

#122 Post by kv » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Aww...his blood ran cold...Too soon?

chaos

#123 Post by chaos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 pm

:no:

:lol:

Pandemonium

#124 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 pm

The situation with J. Geils was kind of fucked the last few years. Apparently he was getting tired of even doing short rounds of shows even though the rest of the band still wanted to tour. So the rest of the band went out wihout him using a pair of replacement guitarists and he got pissed and sued them, seeing as the band is under his name. I dunno if it was ever resolved but it doesn't matter now.

I saw The J. Geils Band three times, once during the Love Stinks tour in '80, once opening for the Rolling Stones in '81 before the Freeze Frame album was released and last during the Freeze Frame tour in '82 with a young U2 opening for them. That Freeze Frame show, which was at the LA Sports Arena was really epic. They did three long encores, then it seemed the show was over, house lights came on and a satisfied crowd started filing out and about 5 minutes later they came back out and played two more songs with the house lights still on.

I really wish they would have played the West Coast on one of their short reunion tours about 15-18 years ago. I really wanted to see them one more time.

Matz

#125 Post by Matz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:36 am

RIP Allan Holdsworth - what an amazing player :rockon: