Janes Nominated for HOF

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
tubro

Re: Janes Nominated for HOF

#126 Post by tubro » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:58 pm

Respectfully disagree. Trujillo is/was an influence on Metallica and so many others, and from the moment he joined, became an essential part of their live act (of which i'm a guilty pleasure admirer and frequent attendee - haven't listened to them outside of gigs more than a few times in all these years, but they're a righteous live act). So i can see them choosing to induct him. I don't hate Chris. Far from it. He's an absolute professional. And pretty good player. But he's a hired part of their live band. Every single thing that is memorable about Jane's, live and on record, has eric on it. Journey's singer isn't being inducted. But it's the band's choice i think and if JA gets in they can certainly put chris in there - he's backed them for a long time. All the lA bass players seem to get along and surf together and i presume chris is respected in that crowd. Hopefully if they do get in, eric is there and 1.0 plays together.
panicparty wrote:I know everyone here hates him, but Chaney is, by a reasonable margin, the longest serving bass player the band has had, and is their current one. If Metallica could include Trujillo who, IIRC, hadn't released a note of music with the band at the time, it would seem ludicrous for Chaney not to be included.

Although as everyone seems to realise, it's academic anyway because there's no chance they're going in right now.

I'm a fan of Martyn, but realistically his period with the band was brief and he didn't appear on any albums, albeit I think he has some writing credits on Strays? On that logic, you'd have to include Duff, and I think his playing stayed on the album, so his claim would be stronger.

In terms of credit for putting Jane's where they are / were, there's also potentially a stronger argument for the guys that were in the band with Perry and Eric (pre Dave and Perk) when a lot of their songbook was originally written, than either Martyn or Chaney.

Romeo

#127 Post by Romeo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:50 am

SR wrote:
Romeo wrote:
SR wrote:
SR wrote:I don't think they'll get in. PJ, DM, Tupac, Joan Baez and either Mc5 or Yes (probably Yes).
Well, I was almost spot on. Wrong, obviously on DM v Journey. Should have known....pretty dumb, but Journey is one of two bands I consider to be among the most wretched pieces of shit ever to fumble with music. Neil Schon has an iota of cred with work with Santana, but otherwise along with Def Leppard, Journey evokes a visceral negative response from me whenever I have the misfortune of stumbling across them.

Like NIN this year, I see JA being ignored next year as well. :nod:
and to add to this:
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. The Foundation's nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category.
:noclue: :hs:
How exactly does Journey fit this criteria?
Significant cash flow to sign other acts by record companies. :noclue:
And songs you can sing to while drunk in a dive bar

And that's about it.

Romeo

#128 Post by Romeo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:54 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
bman wrote:So who really votes for the Hall anyway? Is it board members of the Hall? Or current/past Rolling Stone editors?

Nothing against ELO or Yes, I grew up on classic rock radio and songs from both of those bands certainly ended up on my mix tapes, but were they really a part of any cultural movement or era? I totally agree on Pearl Jam, and even Joan Baez with a nod to the past, but I don't understand how ELO or Yes were more relevant than Janes. Hopefully next year they get in, before Perry turns 60!
The RnRHoF board is composed of mostly music industry suits headed by Jann Wenner co-founder of the HoF (and Rolling Stone rag)' music critic/gigantic douchbag Dave Marsh and Jon Landau (Springsteen's manager). I don't believe there are any actual musicians on the nominating committee. The nominating and voting process has been kept totally secret, thus insuring the ass kissing and industry cock sucking continues unabatted. However, some people on the inside have commented that artists are chosen through record label politics/lobbying, who can be the best draws for the live event and of course, personal relationships to those on the board - all issues far below the actual worthiness of possible inductees. Often, bands that are in the middle of tours or planning big reunions get chosen.
So basically, it's just utter bullshit and can't be taken seriously at all.
https://www.rockhall.com/rock-roll-hall ... rd-members

Chairman of the board sells paint.
THAT alone speaks volumes

SR

#129 Post by SR » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:11 am

Wow, that is an odd selection of board members. Just bizarre.

Mescal

#130 Post by Mescal » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:37 am

What's a Journey hit?

Pandemonium

#131 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:59 am

Mescal wrote:What's a Journey (s)hit?
Webster's defines it as something soft, brown and smelly that oozes from 5 musicians colons. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4 ... 93VqIVGq3H

(they have weird encoding to prevent embedding on other websites)

Artemis

#132 Post by Artemis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:06 pm

I have to confess that this is a guilty pleasure song for me...

nausearockpig

#133 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Whooooooaoaaaaaaaaa - Journey = terrible....

Diff'rent strokes I guess.... but wowowowo

crater

#134 Post by crater » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:23 pm

Artemis wrote:I have to confess that this is a guilty pleasure song for me...

I'm not a fan of the band, but as a former Bay Area resident, I can't help but love this :nod:

Pandemonium

#135 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:17 pm

SR wrote:Wow, that is an odd selection of board members. Just bizarre.
http://www.futurerocklegends.com/Nomina ... mittee.php

Evidently, I was wrong about the voting process. The nomination committee which is indeed mostly a group of industry suits picks the potential inductees every year, but the larger group of voters who apparently also comprise previously inducted artists vote on who gets inducted from the pool of the year's nominees. I was also wrong that there's no actual musicians on the nominating committee although that was the case in the 80's and 90's - there are a few now. Steve Van Zandt, Robbie Robertson, Paul Shaffer (aka Artie Fufkin) and now Tom Morello are members of the committee. It's interesting that around 2006 there was some sort of purge that cut down the roster more in half. I wonder who got to deliver the news to Phil Spector (who was in the middle of his murder trial) he was out.

BTW, I think the (corporate) board members listed in that link nausearockpig posted are the board for the actual museum, not the shmoes who do the picking and voting.

Romeo

#136 Post by Romeo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:47 am

Pandemonium wrote:

Evidently, I was wrong about the voting process. The nomination committee which is indeed mostly a group of industry suits picks the potential inductees every year, but the larger group of voters who apparently also comprise previously inducted artists vote on who gets inducted from the pool of the year's nominees. I was also wrong that there's no actual musicians on the nominating committee although that was the case in the 80's and 90's - there are a few now. Steve Van Zandt, Robbie Robertson, Paul Shaffer (aka Artie Fufkin) and now Tom Morello are members of the committee. It's interesting that around 2006 there was some sort of purge that cut down the roster more in half. I wonder who got to deliver the news to Phil Spector (who was in the middle of his murder trial) he was out.

BTW, I think the (corporate) board members listed in that link nausearockpig posted are the board for the actual museum, not the shmoes who do the picking and voting.
But still, even being on the board of the actual museum....
Not one musician or anyone who has an inkling to do with music

SR

#137 Post by SR » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:52 am

Interesting. Better, of course. Though there are about 30 in these nominating committees, it's weighted a bit to the Springsteen camp (style).....Bob Hilburn, Little Stevie and Jon Landau are on many. Many names I didn't recognize, but upon first look I see ample room for more diversity.

SR

#138 Post by SR » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 am

Romeo wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

But still, even being on the board of the actual museum....
Not one musician or anyone who has an inkling to do with music
Yes, but I presume there responsibilities are more in line with ops, revenue, promotion, tourism, and creating nexuses with the city and state. :noclue:

SR

#139 Post by SR » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:03 am

....and they have large lists of future eligibles, so it appears if you are a band who comes in at the 25 year mark, your best chances of nomination are on that year as the list grows exponentially every year thereafter.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/future_eligibles.php

Hype

#140 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:21 am

Just to get clear about something... SR has a good point, but... based on the HOF lists... JA has been eligible for 4 years already:
(2013 Ceremony) Biz Markie, Blue Rodeo, Boogie Down Productions, Boy George, Breathe, The Dead C, Death, Debbie Gibson, Dino, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, EPMD, Faster Pussycat, Frozen Ghost, George Michael, Glenn Medeiros, Gloria Estefan, Goo Goo Dolls, Henry Rollins, J.J. Fad, Jane's Addiction, Jody Watley, Jude Cole, Jungle Brothers, Keith Sweat, King Missle, The KLF, The La's, Loop, Lou Gramm, M.A.R.R.S., M.C. Hammer, Mana, Meat Beat Manifesto, Michael Monroe, Milli Vanilli, Morbid Angel, Napalm Death, Operation Ivy, Patrick Swayze, Patty Smyth, Pebbles, Pist.On, Pixies, The Proclaimers, Richard Marx, Rick Astley, Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock, Robbie Robertson, Rollins Band, Shanice, Sinead O'Connor, The Sugarcubes, T'Pau, Terence Trent D'arby, Testament, Tiffany, TKA, The Tragically Hip, Vonda Shepard, Wendy & Lisa, Wet Wet Wet, Will To Power, Willy DeVille, Zakk Wylde, ...
Seems to me the only way they're getting in is via someone who made their money with Lolla getting on the committee that makes the decision.

SR

#141 Post by SR » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:30 am

Yeah, many have commented that Lolla is the grease that gets them in. I don't understand this. Isn't it like putting The Ronettes in to commemorate Spector's The Wall of Sound? Perry would need to be eligible and be inducted for Lolla.

And the 2012 eligibility makes sense as '87 is the year. TM has been on the committee for four years; I have to presume he lobbied hard in that window.

Hype

#142 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:04 am

Perry is eligible separately, not as a musician. :nod:

nausearockpig

#143 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Pandemonium wrote:

I call you LIAR, sir!

Pandemonium

#144 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:55 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
I call you LIAR, sir!
um, uhhh, er... It was the glare on my iPad keyboard that confused me whether it eas you or Romeo posting that link?

nausearockpig

#145 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
I call you LIAR, sir!
um, uhhh, er... It was the glare on my iPad keyboard that confused me whether it eas you or Romeo posting that link?

mmmm... OK. acceptable response.

As you were then.

Romeo

#146 Post by Romeo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:52 am

It as me.....

:lol:

Noonesshocking

#147 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Pearl Jam says they wish JA was getting in (in kind of a roundabout way).

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pearl- ... -ceremony/

JOEinPHX

#148 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:05 pm

Tomorrow Etty will be like "It was so nice of Eddie Vetter to wish for Perry and I to get inducted too #Hesagretfrontmin #JanesAdicsionarelegends #holywoudroyalty #rockinfluencis #Lolagirl"

Sight Laber

#149 Post by Sight Laber » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Sorry, I don't know how to correctly link an article. But Janes Addiction was named on the shirt.

http://loudwire.com/pearl-jam-jeff-amen ... s-t-shirt/
http://loudwire.com/pearl-jam-jeff-amen ... -t-shirt/]

Pearl Jam’s Jeff Ament Shouts Out Rock Hall Omissions With T-Shirt
By Chad Childers April 9, 2017 7:47 AM

Read More: Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament Shouts Out Rock Hall Omissions With T-Shirt |Image
Pearl Jam just entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but there are many other deserving acts still waiting to have their name called. That fact is something that is not lost on many of the acts upon Rock Hall entry, who have have found ways to champion the causes of fellow musicians over the years with shout outs during their induction speeches. But the list of amazing acts was too great to count for Pearl Jam’s Jeff Ament, so he had a shirt that did the talking for him.
Upon first look, it appears as though Ament is wearing a t-shirt with pressed-on white tie on it, but a closer look shows that the tie is surrounded by a wealth of band and solo artist names with one thing in common — none of the acts are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
It’s an eclectic list of performers, but an impressive list all the same. For metal lovers, Ament gives props to Slayer, Iron Maiden, King Diamond, Motorhead, Judas Priest and Dio. Hard rock fans will notice such classic rock names as Blue Oyster Cult, Grand Funk Railroad, Thin Lizzy, Mountain, Sweet, King Crimson, Steppenwolf, T. Rex, Love, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Warren Zevon, Bad Company and Ted Nugent joined by more modern hard rock acts like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Faith No More, Motley Crue, Jane’s Addiction, Lenny Kravitz, The Cult, Dinosaur Jr., Mudhoney, Nine Inch Nails, The Replacements, Pixies, The Black Crowes, Bon Jovi, Smashing Pumpkins, Melvins, Sonic Youth and Chad Channing, with the latter being a nod to the omission of the onetime Nirvana drama when the band was inducted a few years back.
The shirt didn’t forget the punk and hardcore community either with Buzzcocks, New York Dolls, Minutemen, Minor Threat, Misfits, Richard Hell, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Billy Idol, Public Image Ltd., Fugazi, X, Descendents and MC5 all making the cut as well. And we haven’t even mentioned some of the great alt-rock and nu wave acts listed.
Check out the shirt in full below.

Read More: Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament Shouts Out Rock Hall Omissions With T-Shirt | http://loudwire.com/pearl-jam-jeff-amen ... ck=tsmclip

SR

#150 Post by SR » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:46 am

Sight Laber wrote:Sorry, I don't know how to correctly link an article. But Janes Addiction was named on the shirt.

http://loudwire.com/pearl-jam-jeff-amen ... s-t-shirt/
http://loudwire.com/pearl-jam-jeff-amen ... -t-shirt/]

Pearl Jam’s Jeff Ament Shouts Out Rock Hall Omissions With T-Shirt
By Chad Childers April 9, 2017 7:47 AM

Read More: Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament Shouts Out Rock Hall Omissions With T-Shirt |Image
Pearl Jam just entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but there are many other deserving acts still waiting to have their name called. That fact is something that is not lost on many of the acts upon Rock Hall entry, who have have found ways to champion the causes of fellow musicians over the years with shout outs during their induction speeches. But the list of amazing acts was too great to count for Pearl Jam’s Jeff Ament, so he had a shirt that did the talking for him.
Upon first look, it appears as though Ament is wearing a t-shirt with pressed-on white tie on it, but a closer look shows that the tie is surrounded by a wealth of band and solo artist names with one thing in common — none of the acts are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
It’s an eclectic list of performers, but an impressive list all the same. For metal lovers, Ament gives props to Slayer, Iron Maiden, King Diamond, Motorhead, Judas Priest and Dio. Hard rock fans will notice such classic rock names as Blue Oyster Cult, Grand Funk Railroad, Thin Lizzy, Mountain, Sweet, King Crimson, Steppenwolf, T. Rex, Love, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Warren Zevon, Bad Company and Ted Nugent joined by more modern hard rock acts like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Faith No More, Motley Crue, Jane’s Addiction, Lenny Kravitz, The Cult, Dinosaur Jr., Mudhoney, Nine Inch Nails, The Replacements, Pixies, The Black Crowes, Bon Jovi, Smashing Pumpkins, Melvins, Sonic Youth and Chad Channing, with the latter being a nod to the omission of the onetime Nirvana drama when the band was inducted a few years back.
The shirt didn’t forget the punk and hardcore community either with Buzzcocks, New York Dolls, Minutemen, Minor Threat, Misfits, Richard Hell, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Billy Idol, Public Image Ltd., Fugazi, X, Descendents and MC5 all making the cut as well. And we haven’t even mentioned some of the great alt-rock and nu wave acts listed.
Check out the shirt in full below.

Read More: Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament Shouts Out Rock Hall Omissions With T-Shirt | http://loudwire.com/pearl-jam-jeff-amen ... ck=tsmclip
Wide range included there. Props to all but Nugent