Now Watching...

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
perkana

Re: Now Watching...

#201 Post by perkana » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:24 pm

erotic cheeses wrote:
perkana wrote:Is it just me or anyone else having Game of Thrones withdrawal? My mind and body are used to watching it around this time.
I recommend "The Fall" again. I need to catch up on other shows like "The Killing". To be honest, I prefer original shows. I've only seen a couple of episodes of a show called "Borgen" and some actors have been in American shows (2 in GoT and 1 in Westworld).
I really enjoyed (felt uncomfortable) with the fall and was disappointed with the ending but did spend two weeks with the actor who played the policeman who "got with" skully in the first season
I thought the ending was actually pretty good...
That's cool...If only I could spend a couple of weeks with Jamie or Tom :wink:

perkana

#202 Post by perkana » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:26 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:really sad big little lies is ending tonight. ive loved this mini series - great writing, cinematography, acting, editing, etc.
I was disappointed that I actually knew how it was going to end but I'm with chaos, I would like to read the book.

perkana

#203 Post by perkana » Wed May 03, 2017 11:13 am

dannyboy wrote:I haven't seen the remakes but the original Danish version of The Killing is out of this world. The Bridge is equally good!

I'm no expert but I reckon up there with True Detective and Breaking Bad.
I finally finished watching the 4 seasons of "The Killing" (in two weeks, damn you Netflix!). So I guess I'll look for the danish show. I remember they used to show it on BBC for Latinamerica, but now that channel is gone. Guess I'll have to look for it on youtube.
Any show you recommend me to binge watch? Seriously, I never thought this would be so addictive :lol:
I'll try to finish watching Mad Men before they take it from Netflix.

perkana

#204 Post by perkana » Wed May 03, 2017 11:15 am

perkana wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:really sad big little lies is ending tonight. ive loved this mini series - great writing, cinematography, acting, editing, etc.
I was disappointed that I actually knew how it was going to end but I'm with chaos, I would like to read the book.
I gave in and bought the book, hope it doesn't dissapoint me.

Artemis

#205 Post by Artemis » Wed May 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Has anybody watched any of the Handmaid's Tale on Hulu? The first 3 episodes were released last week, episode 4 is tonight.

I think the series so far has been really well done. I read the book over 20 years ago and really liked it. I think the show writers have done a good job of adapting the book.

Elizabeth Moss is excellent as always.

farrellgirl99

#206 Post by farrellgirl99 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Artemis wrote:Has anybody watched any of the Handmaid's Tale on Hulu? The first 3 episodes were released last week, episode 4 is tonight.

I think the series so far has been really well done. I read the book over 20 years ago and really liked it. I think the show writers have done a good job of adapting the book.

Really want to watch this but don't have hulu! I read the book about ten years ago myself and loved it. I met Margaret Atwood at a book talk and signing a few years ago and found her captivating. Great writer. I need to watch this series!

Artemis

#207 Post by Artemis » Wed May 03, 2017 6:16 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Artemis wrote:Has anybody watched any of the Handmaid's Tale on Hulu? The first 3 episodes were released last week, episode 4 is tonight.

Really want to watch this but don't have hulu! I read the book about ten years ago myself and loved it. I met Margaret Atwood at a book talk and signing a few years ago and found her captivating. Great writer. I need to watch this series!
Margaret Atwood was involved in the series as a consulting producer.

I'm able to access this show through Kodi. A friend of mine set it up for me. I can access all the shows, it's great!
Maybe the series will be aired on other US networks? In Canada, the show premiered on the Bravo network on Sunday.

https://kodi.tv/

creep
Site Admin

#208 Post by creep » Wed May 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Artemis wrote:
I'm able to access this show through Kodi. A friend of mine set it up for me. I can access all the shows, it's great!
Maybe the series will be aired on other US networks? In Canada, the show premiered on the Bravo network on Sunday.

I've heard about these "modified" kodi boxes that allow to access everything for free. I assume that is what you have. I really don't understand how you do this or get one. I guess I should research it. :noclue:

Hype

#209 Post by Hype » Wed May 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Kodi used to be called XBMC. I ran it for years. I still have it, but I multi-task a lot so using it as a media-centre is usually a bit to intrusive. You don't need to buy a separate box if you have an old computer or laptop you can connect to your TV (ideally with HDMI). Kodi boxes are just mini-computers with kodi set to "kiosk mode", so that you can't access the operating system.

Basically Kodi is a file-manager with a ton of extensions. You can access icefilms and hundreds of other sites with it. You can also go to those sites directly, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

Oh, and they have an official "Remote Control" app for iPhone (I'm not sure if they have it for Android as well) that's very nicely done.

creep
Site Admin

#210 Post by creep » Wed May 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Hype wrote:Kodi used to be called XBMC. I ran it for years. I still have it, but I multi-task a lot so using it as a media-centre is usually a bit to intrusive. You don't need to buy a separate box if you have an old computer or laptop you can connect to your TV (ideally with HDMI). Kodi boxes are just mini-computers with kodi set to "kiosk mode", so that you can't access the operating system.

Basically Kodi is a file-manager with a ton of extensions. You can access icefilms and hundreds of other sites with it. You can also go to those sites directly, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

Oh, and they have an official "Remote Control" app for iPhone (I'm not sure if they have it for Android as well) that's very nicely done.

That sounds like a lot of work. In my old age I am really lazy now and after years of saying I will never cut the cord I finally have. I have Roku's and I like the direct access buttons. I currently subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Netflix and Sling TV (live streaming). I have an antenna for local stations. All added up I'm not saving too much at this point....maybe $40 a month. :noclue:

Hype

#211 Post by Hype » Wed May 03, 2017 8:32 pm

creep wrote:
Hype wrote:Kodi used to be called XBMC. I ran it for years. I still have it, but I multi-task a lot so using it as a media-centre is usually a bit to intrusive. You don't need to buy a separate box if you have an old computer or laptop you can connect to your TV (ideally with HDMI). Kodi boxes are just mini-computers with kodi set to "kiosk mode", so that you can't access the operating system.

That sounds like a lot of work. In my old age I am really lazy now and after years of saying I will never cut the cord I finally have. I have Roku's and I like the direct access buttons. I currently subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Netflix and Sling TV (live streaming). I have an antenna for local stations. All added up I'm not saving too much at this point....maybe $40 a month. :noclue:
I have subs to Netflix, CraveTV (Canada's way of getting old HBO, and like... South Park, basically), some NHL thing through my cell provider, and Amazon Prime (which is almost entirely useless), still way cheaper than cable, but for stuff that just aired, I usually can get it from the Canadian TV station site (ctv.ca has Conan) or just go to an unofficial site like http://yesmovies.to (or icefilms.info, but there are horrible virusy links all over it, so you have to tread carefully).

There's so much crap, that I find I don't really watch much TV anymore...

creep
Site Admin

#212 Post by creep » Wed May 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Hype wrote:
creep wrote:

I have subs to Netflix, CraveTV (Canada's way of getting old HBO, and like... South Park, basically), some NHL thing through my cell provider, and Amazon Prime (which is almost entirely useless), still way cheaper than cable, but for stuff that just aired, I usually can get it from the Canadian TV station site (ctv.ca has Conan) or just go to an unofficial site like http://yesmovies.to (or icefilms.info, but there are horrible virusy links all over it, so you have to tread carefully).

There's so much crap, that I find I don't really watch much TV anymore...
Oh yeah Amazon Prime too...but like you said they almost don't count. Catastrophe and Sneaky Pete are pretty good though.

Artemis

#213 Post by Artemis » Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 am

creep, I don't have a Kodi Box(Hype explained pretty well.). My friend just set up the Kodi app on my computer for streaming. The only add-on or extension I use is Exodus. It's good for both TV shows and movies. I use it mainly for TV though. I do a search for the show I want, then a selection of available streams comes up, and I click on one. Most of the time the quality is good. If no good, I choose another stream. For current shows, I find a stream is available usually about 15-30 minutes after the show is over.

The set-up didn't really take very long. There are you-tube "how to" vids for Kodi. Also, on Facebook there's a Kodi Community where people ask questions and post tips.

Xizen47

#214 Post by Xizen47 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:10 am

creep wrote:
I've heard about these "modified" kodi boxes that allow to access everything for free. I assume that is what you have. I really don't understand how you do this or get one. I guess I should research it. :noclue:
I modified my Amazon Firestick to run Kodi, takes less than a half hour and step by step instructions are online

SR

#215 Post by SR » Fri May 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Soooooo, this Kodi thingy you whippersnappers speak of. I see that it can access copyrighted materials through 3rd party software. Is this the some sort of holy grail for people who want to see sports, various HBO shows, and select movies? And if so, is there a site where I can go that can get me from downloading the app to sitting in front of my TV and cancelling my Direct TV while watching whatever I want?

I pay appx 150 a month for a mid level plan (Direct TV) with an all NBA that televises every NBA game primarily so I have access to all the Celtic games. I am double checking that amount presently....

Hype

#216 Post by Hype » Sat May 06, 2017 10:23 am

SR, yes, technically.

I think Creep is right that there can be a pretty steep learning curve to get it set up to do exactly what you want. The reason for this is that the features/functions are open source -- anyone can make an extension for Kodi to make it do pretty much anything. There are weather apps, games, etc. You do have to be a bit careful because there have been extensions that include malware, but if you try to stick to popular, well-received stuff, it should be fine.

Here, e.g., is a link to "Best Addons for Live Sports": https://tutorial-iptv-xbmc.blogspot.ca/ ... ts-on.html

You could probably figure out a ton of stuff by looking/asking here: https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/

SR

#217 Post by SR » Sun May 07, 2017 5:54 am

Yes, Thanks....I have been looking into it and will further. I am a basic guy.....sports, mainly bball, lately very little news, the occasional BCS, PBS, local news, and re-runs of Seinfeld. :cool:

I do pay 150 a month. :jasper:

Hype

#218 Post by Hype » Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 am

I get Seinfeld on "CraveTV" which is a Canadian cable company's attempt to compete with Netflix. It's not great, but it does have the entire HBO back-catalogue, as well as Showtime. Seinfeld is too popular not to be available on at least one of the $10 a month services. There are websites where you can compare Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc., to see who currently has the rights to shows that you're actually interested in. To be honest, I would stick with those for the most part. There are also ways to watch a lot of sports legally and in hi-def, but you'd have to be selective. E.g., I get NHL Gamecentre for free through my cellphone provider.

I would use Kodi and its extensions as a way to browse for newer movies and recent TV shows. Or, just go to a site like http://yesmovies.to

But I think for Americans this is trickier because your laws are worse. You might want to use a VPN.

SR

#219 Post by SR » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am

Yeah, I have had Sling TV and the firestick in the back of my mind for quite some time. I appreciate and trust that the learning curve is steep and any mistakes would likely lead to far more frustration than my old bones could stand

Hype

#220 Post by Hype » Sun May 14, 2017 8:16 pm

SR wrote:Yeah, I have had Sling TV and the firestick in the back of my mind for quite some time. I appreciate and trust that the learning curve is steep and any mistakes would likely lead to far more frustration than my old bones could stand
You older folks also usually have more money to spend on legitimate theater. :lol:

crater

#221 Post by crater » Tue May 16, 2017 8:37 am

HBO’s Mommy Dead and Dearest is a perfect storm of true crime, pageantry, and Southern gothic tropes

HBO’s true crime doc explores the real-life horror of Munchausen by proxy.

Things are not always as they appear, especially in the case of Dee Dee and Gypsy Rose Blanchard. Child Abuse, mental illness, and forbidden love converge in this mystery involving a mother and daughter who were thought to be living a fairy tale life that turned out to be a living nightmare.

What starts out as a grisly tale of matricide morphs into a rabbit hole of deception and unrelenting abuse, journeying towards the truth about what happened that night. Featuring exclusive access to Gypsy from prison and a trove of police interrogation tapes, medical records, and secret conversations, this HBO Documentary Film is a disturbing, first-hand look at a life arrested and the consequences of trying to keep someone young forever.

One of the craziest documentaries I've ever watched. I'm no fan of murder (who is?) but if anyone ever deserved what they got, it was this poor girls mother. You should do yourself a favor and try to watch this.

chaos

#222 Post by chaos » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 pm

^

I just watched this. Heartbreaking. So many people are culpable for the abuse suffered by that girl. Did this story make the national news? I didn't know anything about this story until I read the info posted above.

creep
Site Admin

#223 Post by creep » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Just watched part 1 of The Defiant Ones on HBO. Really interesting stuff.

Juana

#224 Post by Juana » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:33 pm

You can watch the whole thing on HBO Go I believe.

I just watched Tour De Pharmacy and I know someone on this board was a big Lance hater but he is hilarious in that movie.

perkana

#225 Post by perkana » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:49 am

S&M wrote:Haven't read this thread but my sweets has been seriously trying to get me into "Stranger Things" on Netflix...watched the first one....Felt super 80's...even the music with its cheeze synths....might end up digging this one :hehe:...edit and I read back one page and saw yer all on it :nod: ...Now I gotta catch up :thumb:
Stranger Things coming back on October 27 :wink: