Breakin away

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Larry B.

Re: Breakin away

#26 Post by Larry B. » Mon May 22, 2017 6:45 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
Artemis wrote:Thanks to social media, discovering new music now is easier than it used to be, imo. I find new music all the time. I have very diverse tastes and am open to giving something new a try.
Totally this. I have a few friends who just constantly listen to the same old/same old and tell me you'll never get any better than the Stones/The Beatles etc...zzzzzz, I just see that as plain laziness. I've discovered a whole bunch of bands in my 40's both old and new who have been given me so much musical pleasure. I can't recommend Spotify enough.
This guy gets it :rockon:
:nod:

nausearockpig

#27 Post by nausearockpig » Mon May 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Australian band "Regurgitator". Fucken RAD. hit me up if you want some suggestions of best songs...

Mescal

#28 Post by Mescal » Tue May 23, 2017 3:13 am

I discover new good music every day, but I tend to go back in time. 60's, 70's etc .... Funk, soul, rock, psych, prog, afro (and all the combinations)

Is that ok? Or does that make me an old fart who keeps on living in the past?

Artemis

#29 Post by Artemis » Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 am

Mescal wrote:I discover new good music every day, but I tend to go back in time. 60's, 70's etc .... Funk, soul, rock, psych, prog, afro (and all the combinations)

:lol: No, not at all. I still listen to lots of "old" stuff. I also make room for new stuff too. I think the point of this was that some people never expand their listening repertoire beyond a few bands/singers and only stick with what they know.

Mescal

#30 Post by Mescal » Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 am

Ok, so I'm still one of the cool guys then?

I just get less moved by modern day music than older music. I listen to the radio quite often but I rarely have the 'ah, this is pretty good' feeling. I blame too much autotune. It hurts my ears. There's a few things moving in the stoner scene, so a few good bands there. Also, I have the feeling bands put less effort in making a solid album.

On a different note: I bought tickets to the Black Angels, so thanks Artemis!

Artemis

#31 Post by Artemis » Tue May 23, 2017 7:48 am

Mescal wrote: On a different note: I bought tickets to the Black Angels, so thanks Artemis!

:cool: They are good live. I've seen them 3 times and not been disappointed. Unrelated to the music, the merch table is worth a visit. They have cool t-shirts, vinyl, and even hot sauce they make called Black Grease. I bought a bottle but haven't tried it.

Larry B.

#32 Post by Larry B. » Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 am

I think this song was released last year and that it was a hit, but I only listened to it on the radio as I was traveling in a Uber the other day.

It immediately caught my ear because it's basically a Michael Jackson. I'm stunned, and I can't help but think this is what MJ should've been recording in his last years.

Anyway, here's a new band (I'm just guessing here) with a great new song.

Hype

#33 Post by Hype » Tue May 23, 2017 8:52 am

Daft Punk are old. The Weeknd, though, basically just is Michael Jackson, the way Bruno Mars basically just is Prince. Meh.

Speaking of new music that totally rips off old music, I've been really pissed off by this song that everyone seems to love:

It just *is* Murder She Wrote. In fact, I was at a wedding the other day and the DJ mashed the two songs together perfectly. It was great. But man what is the point of perfectly copying a song like that?

SR

#34 Post by SR » Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 am

Absolutely identical.....where is the shame? That taxi thing took me right back to Miami, where there is none. :jasper: Oh, and btw....the weeknd guy s GOD in Miami, or at least he was when I was there. Again.... :jasper:

As for Mars, I think he's really talented, but he did a tribute to Prince recently that was universally well received. My wife and I watched it together and I was left just completely gutted; she thought it was really credible. Whereas many can cover others really good work and make it their own, sometimes even make it better (Joe Cocker comes to mind), Prince can't be touched.

SR

#35 Post by SR » Tue May 23, 2017 9:30 am

Mescal wrote:I discover new good music every day, but I tend to go back in time. 60's, 70's etc .... Funk, soul, rock, psych, prog, afro (and all the combinations)

No, you're really ok. You're SS posts alone make you one serious bad ass motherfucker. :thumb:

JOEinPHX

#36 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Mescal wrote:
On a different note: I bought tickets to the Black Angels, so thanks Artemis!
Me too!

Juana

#37 Post by Juana » Tue May 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Artemis wrote:
Mescal wrote: On a different note: I bought tickets to the Black Angels, so thanks Artemis!

:cool: They are good live. I've seen them 3 times and not been disappointed. Unrelated to the music, the merch table is worth a visit. They have cool t-shirts, vinyl, and even hot sauce they make called Black Grease. I bought a bottle but haven't tried it.

Although I live in possibly the BBQ capital of the planet The Shed BBQ who they partnered with this from MS goes hard.

Juana

#38 Post by Juana » Tue May 23, 2017 6:56 pm

SR wrote:Absolutely identical.....where is the shame? Whereas many can cover others really good work and make it their own, sometimes even make it better (Joe Cocker comes to mind), Prince can't be touched.
Yup, no one can touch Prince

Mescal

#39 Post by Mescal » Wed May 24, 2017 6:06 am

SR wrote:

No, you're really ok. You're SS posts alone make you one serious bad ass motherfucker. :thumb:

Hey, thanks man, always cool to be called a bad ass motherfucker :cool:

SR

#40 Post by SR » Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 am

:lol: No problem. Being a great parent is having great taste, keeping up and staying in touch :thumb:

Smilefromthestreets

#41 Post by Smilefromthestreets » Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 am

Hype wrote:Daft Punk are old. The Weeknd, though, basically just is Michael Jackson, the way Bruno Mars basically just is Prince. Meh.

Speaking of new music that totally rips off old music, I've been really pissed off by this song that everyone seems to love:

It just *is* Murder She Wrote. In fact, I was at a wedding the other day and the DJ mashed the two songs together perfectly. It was great. But man what is the point of perfectly copying a song like that?
I've never heard either of those songs before, but have you never heard of sampling?

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 am

Smilefromthestreets wrote:
Hype wrote:Daft Punk are old. The Weeknd, though, basically just is Michael Jackson, the way Bruno Mars basically just is Prince. Meh.

I've never heard either of those songs before, but have you never heard of sampling?
That's not what that is. I just looked it up and the writers of Murder She Wrote are given credit on the Pitbull track, so I guess it's just a cover with re-written lyrics.

This is a sample of Murder She Wrote:

Pandemonium

#43 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Larry B. wrote:I think this song was released last year and that it was a hit, but I only listened to it on the radio as I was traveling in a Uber the other day.

It immediately caught my ear because it's basically a Michael Jackson. I'm stunned, and I can't help but think this is what MJ should've been recording in his last years.

Anyway, here's a new band (I'm just guessing here) with a great new song.

I absolutely hate The Weeknd, Chainsmokers, 21 Pilots and their ilk.

Artemis

#44 Post by Artemis » Thu May 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
I like the Heavy Dirty Soul song by 21 Pilots.

Can you save
Can you save my
Can you save my heavy dirty soul?

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm just glad banjo music isn't as popular as it was for the past 5 years.

kv

#46 Post by kv » Thu May 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Artemis wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

Can you save
Can you save my
I'm gonna break
I'm gonna break my
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
:waits:

Artemis

#47 Post by Artemis » Thu May 25, 2017 6:42 pm

kv wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

Can you save
Can you save my
I'm gonna break
I'm gonna break my
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
:waits:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#48 Post by Hokahey » Thu May 25, 2017 6:49 pm

You will never have another experience like you did with Jane's. Find something different. Explore new genres, mediums, etc.

Krink

#49 Post by Krink » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 am

creep wrote:
I'm old and don't listen to music much these days but Faith No More has filled their spot with me. One of the rare bands that improves with age.

so you just sit around in the silence nowadays?

jesus....i mean most of you guys aren't much older than me and i always can find something to listen to :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#50 Post by creep » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Krink wrote:
creep wrote:
I'm old and don't listen to music much these days but Faith No More has filled their spot with me. One of the rare bands that improves with age.

so you just sit around in the silence nowadays?

jesus....i mean most of you guys aren't much older than me and i always can find something to listen to :noclue:
Podcasts and Sirius/XM radio/talk shows have replaced music for me these days. :noclue:

Sorry