Nuclear War Watch

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Pandemonium

Nuclear War Watch

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Shit with North Korea has jumped up a huge notch today.

chaos

Re: Nuclear War Watch

#2 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:17 pm

I thought/hoped General Kelly would be monitoring Trump's statements and tweets.

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 pm

I've never been nervous at all about a country using a nuclear bomb. If it ever happens I think it will be a terrorist attack so the North Korea threats don't worry me at all. I think they know if they ever tried anything it would not end well for them. They love making threats though...

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Or should I be worried that our president will over react to threats?

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 pm

creep wrote:Or should I be worried that our president will over react to threats?
You should be worried. You should be very worried . . . :scared:

A part of me keeps thinking the grown ups won't listen to him (Trump) if he makes the order for the military to do something outrageously stupid. I don't trust my judgement/instinct though. There have been too many times in the last eight months where I have thought such and such will never happen . . . :sulk:

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Samsung won't let this happen.

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:39 pm

creep wrote:I've never been nervous at all about a country using a nuclear bomb. If it ever happens I think it will be a terrorist attack so the North Korea threats don't worry me at all. I think they know if they ever tried anything it would not end well for them. They love making threats though...
I agree a nuclear attack has always seemed like an existential threat on the level of a state-size asteroid hitting the Earth but it really seems we're real close to some sort of tipping point whether it's some sort of non-nuclear preemptive strike or whatever. When you add the fact that the two leaders waving their dicks around are Trump and Jong-Un, it feels like there's a new level of anything goes. And it has to be much more unsettling for Japan who would have little warning if NK decided to lob something their way. The US Mainland residents would have at least 20 - 35+ minutes warning to kiss our collective asses goodbye. And China (and to a lesser extent Russia) are just sitting back and watching the shitshow unfold.

Hype

#8 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
creep wrote:I've never been nervous at all about a country using a nuclear bomb. If it ever happens I think it will be a terrorist attack so the North Korea threats don't worry me at all. I think they know if they ever tried anything it would not end well for them. They love making threats though...
I agree a nuclear attack has always seemed like an existential threat on the level of a state-size asteroid hitting the Earth but it really seems we're real close to some sort of tipping point whether it's some sort of non-nuclear preemptive strike or whatever. When you add the fact that the two leaders waving their dicks around are Trump and Jong-Un, it feels like there's a new level of anything goes. And it has to be much more unsettling for Japan who would have little warning if NK decided to lob something their way. The US Mainland residents would have at least 20 - 35+ minutes warning to kiss our collective asses goodbye. And China (and to a lesser extent Russia) are just sitting back and watching the shitshow unfold.
I like how you don't mention South Korea at all. They're an economic power. Samsung alone has total assets of over half a trillion dollars. Hyundai is also a huge multinational corporation. They're in much more immediate danger from any military action from or toward the DPRK. :confused:

Not to mention there are like... 50,000 ex-pats from the US, Canada, and UK teaching English over there. :confused:

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:50 pm

Speaking of North Korea....this is a pretty interesting book on how they became the fucked up country they are. I don't read many books so since I made it through this one it must be decent. :noclue:

guysmiley

#10 Post by guysmiley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Damn it. Hope I don't wake up to a nuke in Japan. Then again, I just hope to wake up. Dick waving...... :nyrexall:

Bandit72

#11 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:32 am

When your dead father still rules the country, you've got to expect a bit of idiocy from North Korea.

Mescal

#12 Post by Mescal » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:09 am

Bandit72 wrote:When your dead father still rules the country, you've got to expect a bit of idiocy from North Korea.
And what's the USA's excuse?

Bandit72

#13 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:26 am

Mescal wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:When your dead father still rules the country, you've got to expect a bit of idiocy from North Korea.
And what's the USA's excuse?
Good point, well argued!

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:46 am

Hype wrote:I like how you don't mention South Korea at all. They're an economic power. Samsung alone has total assets of over half a trillion dollars. Hyundai is also a huge multinational corporation. They're in much more immediate danger from any military action from or toward the DPRK. :confused:

Not to mention there are like... 50,000 ex-pats from the US, Canada, and UK teaching English over there. :confused:
You're absolutely right about SK. They are the most vulnerable by far.

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 am

I really do wonder what the deal with Jong-Un is. The dude was a pudgy kid who went to school in Switzerland or something. He knows what the rest of the world is really like. He has to know that an actual war would just be death for no reason at all. DPRK is a very well defended country on the ground, but wars aren't fought on the ground anymore. :neutral:

This is from a DOD report in 2012:
North Korea fields a large, forward-deployed military that retains the capability to inflict
serious damage on the ROK, despite significant resource shortfalls and aging hardware.
The DPRK continues to be deterred from conducting attacks on the ROK largely
because of the strength of the U.S.-ROK Alliance. On a smaller scale, however, the
DPRK has demonstrated its willingness to use military provocation to achieve national
goals, such as in 2010 when it sank the ROK naval vessel CHEONAN, killing 46 ROK Navy
sailors, and shelled Yeonpyeong Island, killing two ROK Marines and two civilians.
North Korea’s continued pursuit of nuclear technology and capabilities and
development of long-range ballistic missile programs, as reflected in the December
2012 Taepo Dong 2 missile launch and April 2012 display of a new road-mobile
intercontinental ballistic missile, underscores the threat to regional stability and U.S.
national security posed by North Korea. These programs, as well as North Korea’s
expressed hostility toward the ROK and proliferation of items prohibited under United
Nations Security Council Resolutions 1718, 1874, and 2087 make the DPRK a continued
security challenge for the United States and its Allies and partners.

Hype

#16 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:50 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Hype wrote:I like how you don't mention South Korea at all. They're an economic power. Samsung alone has total assets of over half a trillion dollars. Hyundai is also a huge multinational corporation. They're in much more immediate danger from any military action from or toward the DPRK. :confused:

You're absolutely right about SK. They are the most vulnerable by far.
On North Korea, Bannon said: “ ‘Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us.’ ”
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017 ... rview.html

:confused:

Bandit72

#17 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:32 am

What do we think of this?

SR

#18 Post by SR » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:22 am

Matt Taibbi's take on this "issue"....,

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/f ... ar-w519034

Bandit72