A Bunch of Hippies Heard a Jane's Cover

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
tubro

A Bunch of Hippies Heard a Jane's Cover

#1 Post by tubro » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Lockn has taken over from bonnaroo as the summer deadhead fest. Joe Russo's Almost Dead is a terrific GD cover band. Bienvento/Russo was/is a superb jazz duo that i saw for years in New Orleans. Russo has always reminded me of Perkins in a number of ways, primarily that he bangs hard, plays a lot of notes on a lot of drums, and carries the melody in a way few drummers can. J-Rad also has the great dave driewitz from Ween on bass, and a couple of guitarists, one of whom does the jerry thing pretty well. They're a good late night free improv band. Anyway, at Lockn last night they were joined by Jim James of My Morning Jacket for a cover of BCS. It was probably around 2 am. Nice tribute and my guess is that it would have been a lot more fun to be there than at a Jane's show hearing been caught stealing.

JOEinPHX

Re: A Bunch of Hippies Heard a Jane's Cover

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:11 pm

I think my ears are bleeding.

trevor ayer

#3 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:39 am

How do these bands even get booked?

Mescal

#4 Post by Mescal » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:35 pm

You guys are funny :lolol:

And absolutely right

SR

#5 Post by SR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:05 am

I agree. Nice tribute. Seems the singer sings from just about the exact same place PF does without pushing past to that awkward embarrassed for you place. From this tune, I don't see the comparisons to perk, but that 24 in ride had me absolutely stunned....it must be paper thin; it looked like it was hit by lightning every time he used it like a 12 in crash ( :yikes: ). The crowd was surprisingly into it as well....The GD ranks well below other bands I just don't understand that actually make my ears bleed, so what this crowd is there to hear puts my head on a swivel much like a pup when hearing a siren.

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:22 pm

What?