Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Matz

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1801 Post by Matz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am

anyone's seen Blade Runner yet?

perkana

#1802 Post by perkana » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm

From rotten tomatoes:

BLADE RUNNER 2049 (2017)
Blade Runner 2049
TOMATOMETER
88%
AUDIENCE SCORE
83%
Critic Consensus: Visually stunning and narratively satisfying, Blade Runner 2049 deepens and expands its predecessor's story while standing as an impressive filmmaking achievement in its own right.

The rare sequel that truly merits its existence, updating and expanding the themes of the 1982 original to bring them from the 20th century into the 21st.

October 6, 2017 | Rating: 3.5/4 |

Kate Taylor
Globe and Mail

Blade Runner 2049 is heavy with portentous and pretentious hoo-ha.

October 6, 2017 | Rating: C+ |

Peter Rainer
Christian Science Monitor

Releasing a Sci-Fi sequel 35 years after the original and managing to capture the design and atmosphere as seamlessly is no easy feat. But you can tell that everyone involved here wanted to do this right. The cast is excellent, with quite a few cameos from the original and Ford's best performance in years. The film enjoys its own slowness a little too much, which can challenge audience's patience from time to time, but the story throws out bread crumbs to a really fascinating riddle often enough to keep you interested in the classic detective story, much like in the original. Especially the final act is really rewarding and worthy of the big shoes it has to fill. The camera work and the sound design are particularly breath-taking. A challenging and philosophical, beautiful and ugly, smarting and engaging Sci-Fi thriller that will stick to your mind for quite a while.

Jens S.
Also, this interview with Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling was hilarious. British interviewers are the best!

Xizen47

#1803 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Matz wrote:anyone's seen Blade Runner yet?
I thought it was brilliant :thumb:

I'd say any fan of Sci-Fi would enjoy it. The acting, cinematography and soundtrack are all top notch, definitely see on the big screen.

It's too bad this movie is under-performing at the box office. I think the length and vague previews are turning people off.

Larry B.

#1804 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Just saw Wonder Woman. What a piece of shit that was. And I'm told this is the best DC movie they've made. That'll be a 2.5/10 right there. Some shots were good, and in some scenes I thought the lighting was really good, but man... the acting, the scenes with """"Dr. Poison"""" and even the sound design were fucking awful.

Pandemonium

#1805 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Larry B. wrote:Just saw Wonder Woman. What a piece of shit that was. And I'm told this is the best DC movie they've made. That'll be a 2.5/10 right there. Some shots were good, and in some scenes I thought the lighting was really good, but man... the acting, the scenes with """"Dr. Poison"""" and even the sound design were fucking awful.
I think Wonder Woman was hugely over-rated but it's a lot better then the previous two DC comics Superman (and Batman) movies.

One the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised how entertaining and outright fun the new Spiderman movie was. Infinitely better then the last two horrible Spiderman flicks and arguably only second best behind the second one with Doctor Octopus.

I'm going to try to see Blade Runner Wednesday.

Matz

#1806 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:14 am

Xizen47 wrote:
I thought it was brilliant :thumb:

I'd say any fan of Sci-Fi would enjoy it. The acting, cinematography and soundtrack are all top notch, definitely see on the big screen.

It's too bad this movie is under-performing at the box office. I think the length and vague previews are turning people off.
thanks Perkana and Xixen47, Iooking forward to checking it out. Pretty surprised to hear it's not doing well at the box office, but then again that was the case with the first one too .

Artemis

#1807 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 am

Saw it last night with a friend. We splurged on the $25 VIP screening room with recliner seats, fancy sound and screen. There was food and bar service too.

I thought this film was brilliant. The film is visually stunning and must be seen at a movie theatre for the full effect of its beauty.

The running time is a little long, but I never found myself checking my watch. A couple of times I felt a little bored by the story line but that's a minor complaint. The film is very cerebral and continues to ask the same question from the first film about what it means to be human.

Denis Villeneuve has done a superb job with this film- bravo!

Ryan Gosling was pretty great in this movie too. I'm not really a fan of his, and will admit that I had some doubts about him being cast for this film. I think this is probably his best role of his career so far.

I definitely want to see this movie again.

Matz

#1808 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 am

great review, Artemis! thanks.

perkana

#1809 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am

Larry B. wrote:Just saw Wonder Woman. What a piece of shit that was. And I'm told this is the best DC movie they've made. That'll be a 2.5/10 right there. Some shots were good, and in some scenes I thought the lighting was really good, but man... the acting, the scenes with """"Dr. Poison"""" and even the sound design were fucking awful.
Yeah, that Spanish actress was the worst! But I did enjoy the movie. It helped that I watched it next to my 9 year old niece. And Gal Gadot is so hot! I love her :heart:
She's added on my woman crush list :lol:

nausearockpig

#1810 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:08 pm

perkana wrote:
Yeah, that Spanish actress was the worst! But I did enjoy the movie. It helped that I watched it next to my 9 year old niece. And Gal Gadot is so hot! I love her :heart:
She's added on my woman crush list :lol:
I thought that WW was the best of a bunch of shitty movies WB had been churning out in their DCMU. But that's not saying much. I gave it a 3/10. Let's hope JL is better but I doubt it will be.

wally

#1811 Post by wally » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 pm

I saw "It" over the weekend, I enjoyed it but didn't think it was all that scary. Relied too much on surprise scares rather than building suspense. My boss saw Blade Runner and hated it. :noclue:
i want to see mother and three billboards soon

creep
Site Admin

#1812 Post by creep » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm

wally wrote:
that looks pretty good

chaos

#1813 Post by chaos » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 pm

perkana

#1814 Post by perkana » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:32 pm

I finally watched it yesterday. I went to an early show because I knew it would be long, but I did fall asleep for a few minutes. First half was very slow and the dialogue was too soothing (plus dark atmosphere I snoozed a bit). Second half was better. I digged Ryan Gosling but was a bit disappointed in Jared Leto. What you see in the trailer are his best scenes. Have to agree with the cinematography and mood brought me back to the first one.

wally

#1815 Post by wally » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm on a horror/scary movie kick as Halloween approaches.
Watched The Babadook yesterday.
I thought it was way better than It.

Matz

#1816 Post by Matz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:39 pm

perkana wrote:
I finally watched it yesterday. I went to an early show because I knew it would be long, but I did fall asleep for a few minutes. First half was very slow and the dialogue was too soothing (plus dark atmosphere I snoozed a bit). Second half was better. I digged Ryan Gosling but was a bit disappointed in Jared Leto. What you see in the trailer are his best scenes. Have to agree with the cinematography and mood brought me back to the first one.
Cool, it wasn't until today someone told me that it's almost 3 hours long, seems excessive. The last 3 hour movie I watched was JFK many years ago, nearly killed mysef in the process

perkana

#1817 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Has anyone seen "Coco" yet? I've read good reviews from friends, but I'm afraid to watch it since "Día de muertos" is one of my favorite holidays and don't want to see a bastardized version of it by the Pixar folk.

perkana

#1818 Post by perkana » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:33 pm

I finally watched it tonight. Highly recommend it. For Art: Gael García Bernal lent his voice to one of the main characters.

Larry B.

#1819 Post by Larry B. » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 am

Just saw "Baby Driver". Well, the first 10 minutes, approximately.

Absolutely insufferable.

1/10.

Bandit72

#1820 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:50 am

Larry B. wrote:Just saw "Baby Driver". Well, the first 10 minutes, approximately.

Absolutely insufferable.

1/10.
What's it about? All the 'critics' were raving about that film.

creep
Site Admin

#1821 Post by creep » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:52 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Just saw "Baby Driver". Well, the first 10 minutes, approximately.

Absolutely insufferable.

1/10.
Probably best not to ask a guy that only watched 10 minutes of it. You can't review a movie based on 10 minutes. :essence:

Larry B.

#1822 Post by Larry B. » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:53 am

Bandit72 wrote:

Absolutely insufferable.

1/10.
It's about a young guy who wears shades and is always listening to his iPod Classic, who drives a car for a band of criminals and is a terrific driver. According to the trailer, the guy finds a girlfriend and at some point the head cheese of the gang turns on him and threatens to kill his girlfriend if he doesn't keep driving for them.

All the characters were insufferable: after the opening scene in the movie, when they display how awesome a driver the young guy is, there is a long take of him going out to buy coffee, and he's dancing to some funky music, and bits of the lyrics are like written on the walls or light posts, and he's supposed to be funny because he's a bit clumsy and cool, and his name is 'Baby', so that's also funny I guess, and then once he comes back with the coffees to the gang, one of the criminals gets tough on him (out of absolutely nowhere, just so that the audience says 'I get it, he's the bully in the movie'), the head of the gang says "leave him alone", and the other two members are all over each other (so the audience thinks 'that's funny, they're really horny for each other'). At that point, we stopped watching. The characters were just too cartoony and the movie tried too hard to have a "cool" factor in the fact that there is loud, 'vintage' music playing for most of the movie and as a spectator you're supposed to find that really cool. Plus the shades and the iPod Classic = head blown with coolness.

Larry B.

#1823 Post by Larry B. » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:55 am

creep wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:

Absolutely insufferable.

1/10.
Probably best not to ask a guy that only watched 10 minutes of it. You can't review a movie based on 10 minutes. :essence:
Agreed, but you can get a very decent idea of how the movie is being directed, how the characters are designed and how they're trying to tell you the story. If I'd watched only the first 10 minutes of Inglorious Basterds, I'd want to watch the rest of the movie. I saw 10 minutes of this shit and knew it fucking suuuucked.

Juana

#1824 Post by Juana » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:05 am

The new Thor was good for the comic movie

Matz

#1825 Post by Matz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:53 am

attempted to watch Manhunter a few days ago, but I only got through the first minute before I said fuck it.....I'm such a girl when it comes to movies like this, it sucks cause it's supposed to be a great movie :bored: