Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Bandit72

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

#26 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:46 am

Everybody's Friend wrote:
Hokahey wrote:Awful dialogue, terrible humor, makes Snoke pointless, makes Rey uninteresting, makes Luke a whiny baby, etc etc. Terrible movie.
:thumb:
x2

Half an hour too long too with far too much crammed in. I'm also getting bored of these 'just about to get something done then getting captured' scenarios. Force awakens so much better.

nausearockpig

#27 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:40 am

Overall I loved it. Some parts I thought weren't up there with the overall quality of the movie, like the Canto Bight story, & DJ, but I liked the story, and the way it told the different threads.

I liked the pacing, didn't seem like it was a two and a half hour movie to me.

https://hype.my/2017/149941/star-wars-l ... -analysis/

perkana

#28 Post by perkana » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:35 am

blackcoffee wrote:I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. It had too much cute in it for my taste. I liked how Force Awakens avoided any silliness.
That's exactly how I felt about it. So many "love" moments that could have been avoided. I felt the one with Finn and Rose was too forced. Or maybe I'm just a grinch :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Hokahey wrote:Awful dialogue, terrible humor, makes Snoke pointless, makes Rey uninteresting, makes Luke a whiny baby, etc etc. Terrible movie.
Spot on.

I also feel like the first half the movie and the second half the movie were written by two different people.

Someone needs to make a fan cut where they remove:

1. All the hokey fucking jokes
2. Luke Skywalker's entire whiney bullshit
3. Milking the fucking space cow
4. Everything having to do with Rose and Finn
5. All the silly CGI bullshit on the gambling planet that looked straight out of the prequels.

And then we might have a watchable movie. I enjoyed the last half. But the first half had me cringing at every fucking decision they made.

After 30 goddamn years, where Luke was training to become the greatest Jedi in history, Rian whateverhisnameis just decides Luke is a whiney bitch who wants to die because Ben turned to the Dark Side? Luke spent an entire movie trying to turn his father from the Dark Side, but now it's just too much effort to save another family member? :eyes:

That character deserves so much better and I hope Episode 9 does some MAJOR damage control. I don't know how you bring a guy back from the dead though. Good luck to whoever is writing episode 9.
Last edited by JOEinPHX on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOEinPHX

#30 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Also, how the fuck do you kill the character whose actor is still alive, and NOT kill the character whose actor fucking died?

All they had to do was edit out any footage of Carrie after the explosion, and not have her do her Force spaceflight.

Then let Luke Die in Episode 9.

Fucking stupid. Rian ruined Episode 9 by making a steaming pile of shit for Episode 8. I can't believe Disney green lit that script.

perkana

#31 Post by perkana » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: I don't know how you bring a guy back from the dead though. Good luck to whoever is writing episode 9.
That's easy...Luke ghost. He can join Yoda, Obi and Darth Vader.

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:20 pm

perkana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: I don't know how you bring a guy back from the dead though. Good luck to whoever is writing episode 9.
I watched a video yesterday that kind of explained his choices. With the Rebellion seemingly on its last legs, he sacrificed himself to inspire heroism in the galaxy. To bring balance to the force. Basically following the Skywalker prophecy. Total martyr move.

It makes sense.

But I sure could have done without him having his own "fall" (from the light, but not to the dark side) before redeeming himself. The guy was supposed to be a hero, not just kick the can down the road for someone else to be a hero instead. If that's how this is all going to keep playing out, then why keep making movies?

Anakin: falls to dark side, redeems himself before death so his son can survive to continue fighting

Luke: falls from light side, redeems himself before death so his sister can survive to continue fighting

How much do you want to bet that in Episode 9, Leia sacrifices herself before death so Rey and/or Ben can survive to continue fighting? (And I still think Rey is going to turn out to be a Skywalker, regardless of what Ben told her about her family. He's an evil little brat, after all, and would never allow her to believe anyone other than him is a living Skywalker)

I hope JJ Abrams can help make sense of everything we were left with. Rian Johnson did us no such favors.

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:09 pm

I finally caught a matinee show today with my son (who is a hardcore SW nut). I thought it was wayyyyyy too long and even keeping the multiple plot threads mostly intact, could have been pared down by over half an hour. With the nearly half hours' worth of previews, it was a 3 hour marathon, especially since I had some woman sitting next to me who apparently swam in whatever overpowering, eye-watering perfume she was wearing.

Probably my biggest issue with these past 2 sequels is Adam Driver who simply has a distractingly weird face - most scenes, he looks like he's on the verge of breaking down into a blubbering mess. Agree with a lot of 676's comments about the negatives of this one (Captain Phasma/Snoke today, gone this afternoon) although I didn't walk out of the theater pissed like I did when I originally saw The Phantom Menace. Kind of funny that the rebellion was run buy a bunch of old women. Mark Hammil/Luke's bit was the best thing about the movie even though they kind of shit on his character much of the film. Probably the biggest groaner was Leia's Dr. Strange/Superman in space bit even though I get that with the force, anything is possible at this point in the series.

erotic cheeses

#34 Post by erotic cheeses » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:35 pm

almost everyone is ignoring Luke milking the space cow...

nausearockpig

#35 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:31 pm

erotic cheeses wrote:almost everyone is ignoring Luke milking the space cow...
a man's gotta drink.

perkana

#36 Post by perkana » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
perkana wrote:
I watched a video yesterday that kind of explained his choices. With the Rebellion seemingly on its last legs, he sacrificed himself to inspire heroism in the galaxy. To bring balance to the force. Basically following the Skywalker prophecy. Total martyr move.

It makes sense.

But I sure could have done without him having his own "fall" (from the light, but not to the dark side) before redeeming himself. The guy was supposed to be a hero, not just kick the can down the road for someone else to be a hero instead. If that's how this is all going to keep playing out, then why keep making movies?

Anakin: falls to dark side, redeems himself before death so his son can survive to continue fighting

Luke: falls from light side, redeems himself before death so his sister can survive to continue fighting

How much do you want to bet that in Episode 9, Leia sacrifices herself before death so Rey and/or Ben can survive to continue fighting? (And I still think Rey is going to turn out to be a Skywalker, regardless of what Ben told her about her family. He's an evil little brat, after all, and would never allow her to believe anyone other than him is a living Skywalker)

I hope JJ Abrams can help make sense of everything we were left with. Rian Johnson did us no such favors.
I teared up when I saw the boy slave's hopeful little face :love: :nyrexall:

perkana

#37 Post by perkana » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Kind of funny that the rebellion was run buy a bunch of old women.
I've enjoyed the strong, mature (not old :wink:) female characters. More than saying "I told you so" when they were right with their plans, they were patient and maternal with the younger rebels. I can't complain about Adam Driver since he's one of my favorite actors nowadays. I was moved when he felt his mom near. My bet is that he's going to kill her next :lol: :nyrexall: