Introduction to my books about Burroughs and Musicians

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
CaseyContrarian

Introduction to my books about Burroughs and Musicians

#1 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 am

Comes out this year on University of Texas Press. I’m just finishing up with the manuscript. Thought some of you may want to look at the intro, which is basically the book’s thesis.

https://www.rocknrollburroughs.com/inte ... troduction

chaos

Re: Introduction to my books about Burroughs and Musicians

#2 Post by chaos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Congratulations! This sounds interesting. Looking forward to the release. :thumb: :rockon:

blackcoffee

#3 Post by blackcoffee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Yes. Big congrats. I look forward to it also. Do you expect U of Texas Press to have wide distribution and/or a marketing campaign for this, or is it being aimed at a more academic audience?

CaseyContrarian

#4 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Yeah, it's mass market, not academic, so it will be well distributed. The marketing is probably going to be focused on hoity toity book review journals, magazines, and newspapers, where they still exist. All the ones with New York in the name, basically. I want to do Maron. That's my one personal goal related to this book. Other than that, I think there will be strong word of mouth in that weird but global community of Burroughs enthusiasts and looky-loos, many of whom got there by way of the musicians I talk about in this book.

I should've just said "ANR is my marketing plan."

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Nice intro, looking forward to your book. This very short out-take from a U2 video shoot shortly before Burrough's death always cracks me up. He could be an intimidating, even terrifying guy even in his final years....

CaseyContrarian

#6 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 am

Pandemonium wrote:Nice intro, looking forward to your book. This very short out-take from a U2 video shoot shortly before Burrough's death always cracks me up. He could be an intimidating, even terrifying guy even in his final years....

Yeah, it's a classic. By the way, I'm listening to KJ's Pylon right now, and thinking of your remarks about how that band continues to deliver--with the original lineup, no less.

nausearockpig

#7 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:48 pm

That’s awesome. Congratulations.

SR

#8 Post by SR » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks for the tease. As much as the intro taught me, it raises as many questions. It occurred to me that the reader of your book would be underserved without having read WB extensively. In your estimation, how much would be lost on the reader without having read his catalogue?

Beautifully written and I am looking forward to reading it in it's entirety.

CaseyContrarian

#9 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 pm

SR wrote:Thanks for the tease. As much as the intro taught me, it raises as many questions. It occurred to me that the reader of your book would be underserved without having read WB extensively. In your estimation, how much would be lost on the reader without having read his catalogue?

Beautifully written and I am looking forward to reading it in it's entirety.
I think some familiarity with Burroughs helps, but it’s not necessary. His biography is interwoven with those of the musicians and they’re all pretty wild tales in and of themselves. His work is described in a way that I think is relatable and entertaining, and I tried to draw music world comparisons wherever possible, knowing that a lot of folks are coming to this from the music side. Which is kind of the point: There are tons of folks who were inspired by Burroughs’ icon who may not be all that familiar with his novels. Unusual for sure, but nonetheless a testament to his influence. Burroughs was also savvy about navigating mass media, even as a completely underground figure who was considered unsavory by the mainstream. A lot of exposure to his ideas and image came from interviews in underground rock and punk magazines, along with later apparences on record alongside any number of hip acts.

Juana

#10 Post by Juana » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Comes out this year on University of Texas Press. I’m just finishing up with the manuscript. Thought some of you may want to look at the intro, which is basically the book’s thesis.

https://www.rocknrollburroughs.com/inte ... troduction
Congrats I didn't know you worked with UT on stuff and thangs

clickie

#11 Post by clickie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:29 am

Burroughs was pretty great in Drugstore Cowboy.