off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
perkana

Re: Live shows in your agenda?

#576 Post by perkana » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm going to see Gorillaz!! :banana:

Artemis

#577 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 am

2017 was an excellent concert year for me, saw over 20 shows. So far for 2018, I have 5 shows booked:

Valerie June (saw her last year for the first time- she is amazing!)
Bananarama (all original members! first time ever playing in Toronto)
OMD (last time OMD rolled into town the drummer had a heart attack on stage and the show was cut short)
The Strypes
Rod Stewart (bucket list, never seen him before)

creep
Site Admin

#578 Post by creep » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Artemis wrote:2017 was an excellent concert year for me, saw over 20 shows. So far for 2018, I have 5 shows booked:

Valerie June (saw her last year for the first time- she is amazing!)
Bananarama (all original members! first time ever playing in Toronto)
OMD (last time OMD rolled into town the drummer had a heart attack on stage and the show was cut short)
The Strypes
Rod Stewart (bucket list, never seen him before)
2017 - 0 shows for me. pretty sad.

Juana

#579 Post by Juana » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 pm

I saw Willie 2 nights in a row last week

Pandemonium

#580 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 pm

creep wrote:
2017 - 0 shows for me. pretty sad.
The last couple of years have been pretty lean for me as well. I only saw Poptone and U2, both last May and blew off seeing The Misfits reunion at the LA Forum on 12/30 even though I could get pit tickets right up to the day of the show. There's just not much left out there that really makes me want to see more shows, especially big ol' arena gigs. I do want to see Savages again if they tour in 2018, and I'd like to see Wolf Alice and maybe Rival Sons at least once but at this point, 2018 looks as lean as the last few years. After 40 years, I think I'm getting near the end of my concert going days.

SR

#581 Post by SR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:26 pm

I don’t even look for arena shows anymore. I seek gems at small venues that pop up periodically like questlove and Saul Williams at echoplex last week. :rockon:

farrellgirl99

#582 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 pm

SR wrote:I don’t even look for arena shows anymore. I seek gems at small venues that pop up periodically like questlove and Saul Williams at echoplex last week. :rockon:
LOVE saul williams. with questlove sounds awesome

SR

#583 Post by SR » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:36 pm

:cool:

parklife03

#584 Post by parklife03 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 am

My upcoming international shows (in Argentina):

March

Primal Scream
Foo Fighters + Queens of the Stone Age
Liam Gallagher
Red Fang
Pearl Jam + LCD Soundsystem + David Byrne + Volbeat (Lollapalooza Buenos Aires, day 3)
Depeche Mode

April

Radiohead

May

Steven Wilson

...and maybe Roger Waters and Ozzy Osbourne, but don't know yet.

tvrec

#585 Post by tvrec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Power Trip (Jan)
Typhoon (Feb)
Bahamas '' "
Sean Rowe " "
X & Mike Watt (March)
Lucy Dacus " "
Avett Bros. (June)

tvrec

#586 Post by tvrec » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:37 pm

parklife03 wrote:My upcoming international shows (in Argentina):

...and maybe Roger Waters and Ozzy Osbourne, but don't know yet.
Roger Waters is a must in my book if you've never seen him before, especially now with the bar on spectacle raised so high for his gigs.

Artemis

#587 Post by Artemis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 am

Booked a few more shows this week...
The Breeders
David Byrne
Charlotte Day Wilson

Upon the recommendation of tvrec, I think I'll get tickets for Lucy Dacus in April. How can I not when the tickets are only $13.50?
I will probably get tix for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in Feb. The new album is quite good, I think.

farrellgirl99

#588 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 am

sleigh bells on tuesday in a 250 capacity venue :rockon:

one of my fave bands to see live, can't wait

Artemis

#589 Post by Artemis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Wow, I wonder how this will work?? I haven't been to a show where phones and other devices have to placed in a Yondr(whatis it??) pouch.
Jack White:
Please note PLEASE NOTE: this is a PHONE-FREE show. No photos, video or audio recording devices allowed. We think you'll enjoy looking up from your gadgets for a little while and experience music and our shared love of it IN PERSON. Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show. You keep your pouch-secured phone on you during the show and, if needed, can unlock your phone at any time in a designated Yondr Phone Zone located in the lobby or concourse. For those looking to do some social media postings, let us help you with that. Our official tour photographer will be posting photos and videos after the show at jackwhiteiii.com and the new Jack White Live Instagram account @officialjackwhitelive. Repost our photos & videos as much as you want and enjoy a phone-free, 100% human experience.

Larry B.

#590 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:52 pm

I kinda hope it works. It wouldn't surprise me if someone sued them for theft or 'property kidnap' or 'restriction of freedom of communication' or any other shitty, all-American reason.

Pandemonium

#591 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Larry B. wrote:I kinda hope it works. It wouldn't surprise me if someone sued them for theft or 'property kidnap' or 'restriction of freedom of communication' or any other shitty, all-American reason.
It was used at the recent Misfits show at the LA Forum. If you need to use your phone, you have to go to areas in the lobby. More bands are getting sold on the idea not just because it's annoying for the band and many in the audience for obvious reasons, but because cell/camera tech is so good these days, Youtube vids takeaway potential revenue from possible official live video releases, not to mention capturing embarrasing moments or outright shitty performances. Even places like courts and a few movie theater chains are utilizing Yondr. It's not 100% effective, some people manage to get their phones out of the pouch (which is pretty expensive) or simply hide their cell phones like the good ol' days when bootleggers smuggled in recorders in their crotch.

Artemis

#592 Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Larry B. wrote:I kinda hope it works. It wouldn't surprise me if someone sued them for theft or 'property kidnap' or 'restriction of freedom of communication' or any other shitty, all-American reason.
It was used at the recent Misfits show at the LA Forum. If you need to use your phone, you have to go to areas in the lobby. More bands are getting sold on the idea not just because it's annoying for the band and many in the audience for obvious reasons, but because cell/camera tech is so good these days, Youtube vids takeaway potential revenue from possible official live video releases, not to mention capturing embarrasing moments or outright shitty performances. Even places like courts and a few movie theater chains are utilizing Yondr. It's not 100% effective, some people manage to get their phones out of the pouch (which is pretty expensive) or simply hide their cell phones like the good ol' days when bootleggers smuggled in recorders in their crotch.
:tiphat: Thanks for that info!

I found this youtube review of YONDR from a couple of days ago...

I like the idea of Yondr but am thinking entry and exit will be really slowed down. I'll find out in June when I go to the Jack White show at the Budweiser Stage. I managed to snag a couple of lawn tickets on the pre-sale this morning. The price was pretty good- 2 tickets including service fees was $92. Also, each online ticket inlcudes a CD copy of Boarding House Reach.

Artemis

#593 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Saw OMD last night....F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!! I'm tempted to go to the second show tonight.
The set was a mix of old and new material. The new stuff is pretty good live, better than on the album, imo.

If any of you here are fans, I recommend you catch them on this tour.

Here's a vid from last night(not mine).

Okay, one more...

JOEinPHX

#594 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 pm

This is what I have tickets for now through August:

Wolf Alice
Innings Festival (QOTSA, Eagles of Death Metal, Cold War Kids, Decemberists, J Roddy Walston and The Business, etc...)
Electric Six
Jungle
Alt J
Alvvways
Phantogram
Night Riots
Wye Oak
Pearl Jam - Night 1 Seattle
Pearl Jam - Night 2 Seattle
Hall and Oates

There will of course be more additions as the months go on. I just saw STP and Robert Stevenson (of A Silent Film) last weekend.

crater

#595 Post by crater » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am

farrellgirl99

#596 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:07 pm

black moth super rainbow in june.

discovered that band because of someone here (sorry i forget who). but grateful :cool:

perkana

#597 Post by perkana » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:53 pm

I said Vive Latino was going to be my last festival, but then Corona Capital's line up came out and even though I don't know the new bands, I do want to see many of the headliners (even Robbie Williams)

Artemis

#598 Post by Artemis » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:37 pm

The Jack White show here on Saturday(June 9th) was excellent!! If you are planning to see this tour, you will not be disappointed. Jack was in fine form with an incredible band! With regards to being a phone-free show, no problems with the pouches, the lines move quickly going in and exiting. It was kinda nice to see people lighting their lighters in appreciation.
Setlist
Over and Over and Over (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Corporation (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (The White Stripes – White Blood Cells)
Lazaretto (Jack White – Lazaretto)
I Think I Smell a Rat (The White Stripes – White Blood Cells)
Little Bird (The White Stripes – De Stijl)
Just One Drink (Jack White – Lazaretto)
Hotel Yorba (The White Stripes – White Blood Cells)
Hypocritical Kiss (Jack White – Blunderbuss)
High Ball Stepper (Jack White – Lazaretto)
My Doorbell (The White Stripes – Get Behind Me Satan)
Humoresque (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Love Interruption (Jack White – Blunderbuss)
I Cut Like a Buffalo (The Dead Weather – Horehound)
Get in the Mind Shaft (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
I’m Slowly Turning into You (The White Stripes – Icky Thump)

Encore:
Sixteen Saltines (Jack White – Blunderbuss)
That Black Bat Licorice (Jack White – Lazaretto)
Fell in Love with a Girl (The White Stripes – White Blood Cells)
Ice Station Zebra (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Steady, As She Goes (The Raconteurs – Broken Boy Soldiers)
Icky Thump (The White Stripes – Icky Thump)
Connected by Love (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes – Elephant)
A review of Jack White’s cell phone-less show in Toronto
[This comes via occasional contributor Gilles LeBlanc. Follow him at @rockthusiast. The gig poster was designed by Sara Deck. All photos are by David James Swanson, Jack’s official photographer. See more at http://www.JackWhiteIII.com. AC]

If you know anything about Jack White, you’re probably aware he has a thing for the Number Three.

I only really bring this up because June 9th, 2018 marked the third time Jack White has played Toronto’s Budweiser Stage – the previous occasions were in 2005 and 2007 when it went by the name Molson Amphitheatre with some little band you may have heard of called The White Stripes.

For reasons only he could explain, the rocker with a taste for the eccentric decided to make the last stop on the Boarding House Reach tour before jetting off to Europe extra special (his third solo album, as luck would have it). With a newish four-person backing group more than ably picking up on his cues, they absolutely plowed through twenty years of material that sounded so fresh, alive and urgent, it makes you wonder where all this “rock is dead” nonsense is coming from.

With twin keyboard setups maned by touring members Neal Evans and Quincy McCrary, not to mention rich bass courtesy of childhood friend Dominic Davis, White’s songs are more fleshed out than arguably any point in his career. The guitar is still very much front and centre in Jack White’s world, surrounding himself with no less than five instruments of amplification he would seemingly choose at random and force every single person in the venue to follow his lead. A vintage-looking piano in roughly the middle of White’s two-tiered platform was a symbolic reminder that no matter how technologically advanced his video projections may have become, music foundations will always be what’s most important to him.

There was a lot of prattling beforehand about White’s self-imposed no-phones-allowed policy. While part of me missed live-tweeting so as to manufacture FOMO for anyone not in attendance, getting in touch with people you didn’t necessarily come with was probably the biggest inconvenience. By the end of the night however, I personally found myself having more conversations with strangers at a concert than I can remember in eons. And rather than the cancerous glow emanating via thousands of phones during the more ballad-y “Love Interruption”, there were good old-fashioned lighters in the air. Conveniently, a lot of the lighters being used were blue-coloured ones emblazoned with White’s “III” logo bought beforehand from the merchandise table.

Besides profiteering off of his loyal faithful, White did appear to succeed in having Torontonians be in the moment, starting with openers Radkey. With no screens to look at, all eyes were on the three siblings whose ripped denim look reminded me of the Ramones with more than a little “Cult of Personality” by Living Colour swagger. Speaking of personality, Jack White has always been a commanding presence on stage, from previous bands The White Stripes with faux-sister Meg White to both The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather, even if he tried relegating himself to the background in the latter as their percussionist. His gift of surprising audiences over and over (and over) still shines brightly as a solo artist. I certainly wasn’t expecting him to step behind a SECOND drum kit to jam out “My Doorbell” in tandem with Carla Azur while also singing à la Sébastien Grainger from T.O. two-piece Death from Above.

Jack has an obvious affinity for the Queen City of Toronto; he was spotted at a club just north of our iconic Queen Street West after thanking us collectively as a country for making Boarding House Reach a #1 album. Whether they were subtly conscious connections or simply odd coincidences, they all made for maybe the best show I’ve personally seen featuring Jack White. Third time was definitely the charm for him!
http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/a-re ... n-toronto/

Next show for me- Poptone on 6/23

Artemis

#599 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Got freebies for tomorrow night to see Joan Jett with Styx and Tesla. Tesla goes on first, followed by Joan then Styx. I'm excited about JJ because I've never seen her. As for the other bands, don't really care. I'm sure it'll be a tame crowd with average age of 50 or older. :lol:

SR

#600 Post by SR » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:28 pm

Artemis wrote:The Jack White show here on Saturday(June 9th) was excellent!! If you are planning to see this tour, you will not be disappointed. Jack was in fine form with an incredible band! With regards to being a phone-free show, no problems with the pouches, the lines move quickly going in and exiting. It was kinda nice to see people lighting their lighters in appreciation.
Setlist
Over and Over and Over (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Corporation (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (The White Stripes – White Blood Cells)
Lazaretto (Jack White – Lazaretto)
I Think I Smell a Rat (The White Stripes – White Blood Cells)
Little Bird (The White Stripes – De Stijl)
Just One Drink (Jack White – Lazaretto)
Hotel Yorba (The White Stripes – White Blood Cells)
Hypocritical Kiss (Jack White – Blunderbuss)
High Ball Stepper (Jack White – Lazaretto)
My Doorbell (The White Stripes – Get Behind Me Satan)
Humoresque (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Love Interruption (Jack White – Blunderbuss)
I Cut Like a Buffalo (The Dead Weather – Horehound)
Get in the Mind Shaft (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
I’m Slowly Turning into You (The White Stripes – Icky Thump)

Encore:
Sixteen Saltines (Jack White – Blunderbuss)
That Black Bat Licorice (Jack White – Lazaretto)
Fell in Love with a Girl (The White Stripes – White Blood Cells)
Ice Station Zebra (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Steady, As She Goes (The Raconteurs – Broken Boy Soldiers)
Icky Thump (The White Stripes – Icky Thump)
Connected by Love (Jack White – Boarding House Reach)
Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes – Elephant)
A review of Jack White’s cell phone-less show in Toronto
[This comes via occasional contributor Gilles LeBlanc. Follow him at @rockthusiast. The gig poster was designed by Sara Deck. All photos are by David James Swanson, Jack’s official photographer. See more at http://www.JackWhiteIII.com. AC]

If you know anything about Jack White, you’re probably aware he has a thing for the Number Three.

I only really bring this up because June 9th, 2018 marked the third time Jack White has played Toronto’s Budweiser Stage – the previous occasions were in 2005 and 2007 when it went by the name Molson Amphitheatre with some little band you may have heard of called The White Stripes.

For reasons only he could explain, the rocker with a taste for the eccentric decided to make the last stop on the Boarding House Reach tour before jetting off to Europe extra special (his third solo album, as luck would have it). With a newish four-person backing group more than ably picking up on his cues, they absolutely plowed through twenty years of material that sounded so fresh, alive and urgent, it makes you wonder where all this “rock is dead” nonsense is coming from.

With twin keyboard setups maned by touring members Neal Evans and Quincy McCrary, not to mention rich bass courtesy of childhood friend Dominic Davis, White’s songs are more fleshed out than arguably any point in his career. The guitar is still very much front and centre in Jack White’s world, surrounding himself with no less than five instruments of amplification he would seemingly choose at random and force every single person in the venue to follow his lead. A vintage-looking piano in roughly the middle of White’s two-tiered platform was a symbolic reminder that no matter how technologically advanced his video projections may have become, music foundations will always be what’s most important to him.

There was a lot of prattling beforehand about White’s self-imposed no-phones-allowed policy. While part of me missed live-tweeting so as to manufacture FOMO for anyone not in attendance, getting in touch with people you didn’t necessarily come with was probably the biggest inconvenience. By the end of the night however, I personally found myself having more conversations with strangers at a concert than I can remember in eons. And rather than the cancerous glow emanating via thousands of phones during the more ballad-y “Love Interruption”, there were good old-fashioned lighters in the air. Conveniently, a lot of the lighters being used were blue-coloured ones emblazoned with White’s “III” logo bought beforehand from the merchandise table.

Besides profiteering off of his loyal faithful, White did appear to succeed in having Torontonians be in the moment, starting with openers Radkey. With no screens to look at, all eyes were on the three siblings whose ripped denim look reminded me of the Ramones with more than a little “Cult of Personality” by Living Colour swagger. Speaking of personality, Jack White has always been a commanding presence on stage, from previous bands The White Stripes with faux-sister Meg White to both The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather, even if he tried relegating himself to the background in the latter as their percussionist. His gift of surprising audiences over and over (and over) still shines brightly as a solo artist. I certainly wasn’t expecting him to step behind a SECOND drum kit to jam out “My Doorbell” in tandem with Carla Azur while also singing à la Sébastien Grainger from T.O. two-piece Death from Above.

Jack has an obvious affinity for the Queen City of Toronto; he was spotted at a club just north of our iconic Queen Street West after thanking us collectively as a country for making Boarding House Reach a #1 album. Whether they were subtly conscious connections or simply odd coincidences, they all made for maybe the best show I’ve personally seen featuring Jack White. Third time was definitely the charm for him!
http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/a-re ... n-toronto/

Next show for me- Poptone on 6/23
Oh shit; this setlist is phenomenal. BHR is on serious rotation in the last couple of months....I'd name a fave, but I hear something new almost every listen and I truly LOVE the album. Humoresque is drop dead gorgeous.....btw, this might sound familiar to those who have the album.

There is a great story on the White side about how this landed on the album. Too, Ice Station Zebra was the fictitious corp set up by Saul in BB as Walt began to launder money.