Now Playing...

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Now Playing...

#1051 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 am

Bandit72 wrote:Were you there for the whole festival? I'm sure I read on wiki it was one day of Heavy Metal and the other 3 of other pop/run of the mill stuff?
Yeah, I went with 3 friends and we camped in the huge dusty area outside the concert grounds all three days. It was over a long 3 day Memorial Day weekend and each day had a music theme (Day 1 = New Wave, Day 2 = Metal, Day 3 = Rock).

We got there late Friday night and spent the next morning getting drunk either riding in the parking lot shuttle buses that drove in circles around the huge mile long parking lot to drop people off the the festival gate or sitting waist-deep in this little stream in lawn chairs next to where we camped trying to stay cool. Unfortunately, we later discovered the run-off from hundreds of porta-potties outside the entrance gates a quarter mile up the hill dumped directly into this stream - we'd been lounging in piss water all morning!

We originally didn't plan on seeing the first day's bands (New Wave Day), we thought we'd just party in the camping area all day, but it was so hot, dusty, boring and uncomfortable in the camping grounds we decided to just walk up and get tickets at the gate mid-day (first day was far from sold out) and spend the afternoon and evening inside. Not just because we wanted to see most of the bands that day, but moreso because they had running water and outside showers, food and drink vendors and simply areas of shade in the concert grounds. The only bands that evening we really paid attention to and enjoyed was The Stray Cats and The Clash (who really weren't that good and which turned out to be their final show in that lineup).

Second day was all metal bands and that day was sold out with something like 300,000 people. Depending on our endurance level and interest in whoever was onstage, we'd try to get as close to the stage as possible or hang way back in the upper bowl and kick back. I think it was in the low 100 degrees by mid-morning and extremely smoggy. Quiet Riot and Motley Crue were surprisingly entertaining early in the day, Ozzy featured the first appearance of his new post-Randy Rhoads permanent guitarist Jake E Lee, Judas Priest and Scorpions were reliably good for what they do. I only thought Triumph was dull, we spent their set getting dinner at one of the shitty food vendors in the back of the bowl. Van Halen was near the height of their popularity with David Lee Roth but they were showing signs of burn-out and Roth especially was notoriously wasted for their set. At the time, I was recording shows with this little AIWA walkman style tape deck and I recorded most of the 2nd days bands including Van Halen although me and my friend's drunken, loud chatter made most of the recordings useless for trading. By the end of the day, we were all severely sunburned, filthy, hung over and overall, dragging anchor.

3rd Day featured a lot of great music, especially from U2 and the Pretenders. U2, plugging the "War" album impressed me enough that I saw them again just a few weeks later when they played the LA Sports Arena. We made it a point to get in to the festival grounds early to use the out door showers (they shut them off without warning at 11am so there was lots of people, some buck naked stuck with soap and shampoo all over them with no way to wash off). At some point early in the day when we were trying to get close to the stage in the crush up front, I stepped on someone's suntan lotion tube, it burst like a catsup package and squirted right up the front of my body into my eyes which took forever to get the sting out. By the afternoon, most of the porta-potties were unusable, with human waste piled over bowls, overflowing out doors. One amusing instance I'll never get out of my head was a long line of people wanting to use one porta-potty that was still in decent condition and a bunch of people got pissed at one drunk guy taking so long the started rocking the porta-potty back and forth. You could hear the guy inside moaning and thumping/flopping around until the porta potty tipped over on it's side causing the door to fly open with the unconscious guy spilling out covered in shit.

Of course, the big deal was this was David Bowie's first US show in about 5 years plugging the "Let's Dance" album. But by Bowies evening set, many people were burned out exhausted from the heat and people were either leaving in droves to beat the traffic or huddled around camp fires in the back of the bowl on the hill far from the stage (it got brutally cold the last night). One of my friends managed to pick up on some girl and left early heading back to our campsite. We we eventually got back, they were passed out in the bed of the El Camino so being typical dicks, we poured the remainder of our warm beers on them to wake 'em up!

It took me days to recover from that weekend. Back when Coachella used to have bands worth seeing, every year I'd think about going and have US Festival flashbacks that would quickly kill that idea.

Bandit72

#1052 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Absolutely SUPERB. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to share that. Love it. :thumb:

clickie

#1053 Post by clickie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 pm

You guys have any songs you like that were specifically written for a movie soundtrack? With lyrics.

kv

#1054 Post by kv » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:25 am

Always liked this Leonard Cohen cover...

Not really what you were asking for...

Artemis

#1055 Post by Artemis » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:03 am

clickie wrote:You guys have any songs you like that were specifically written for a movie soundtrack? With lyrics.

"Don't look don't look," the shadows breathe,
Whispering me away from you.
"Don't wake at night to watch her sleep,
You know that you will always lose
This trembling, adored, tousled bird-mad girl."

But every night I burn,
Every night I call your name
Every night I burn,
Every night I fall again

"Oh don't talk of love," the shadows purr,
Murmuring me away from you.
"Don't talk of worlds that never were;
The end is all that's ever true.
There's nothing you can ever say,
Nothing you can ever do."

Still every night I burn,
Every night I scream your name
Every night I burn,
Every night the dream's the same
Every night I burn,
Waiting for my only friend
Every night I burn,
Waiting for the world to end

"Just paint your face," the shadows smile,
Slipping me away from you.
"Oh, it doesn't matter how you hide,
Find you if we're wanting to.
So, slide back down and close your eyes,
Sleep a while, you must be tired."

But every night I burn,
Every night I call your name
Every night I burn,
Every night I fall again
Every night I burn,
Scream the animal scream
Every night I burn,
Dream the crow black dream

Dream the crow black dream.

kv

#1056 Post by kv » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm

I think he just meant that the song had to have lyrics

clickie

#1057 Post by clickie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:46 pm

kv wrote:I think he just meant that the song had to have lyrics

Yeah I did, I still read the lyrics though. Thats a cool song, I wish there were more like that.
You posted Concrete Blonde. I guess their hit song 'Joey' is about Marc Moreland, guitarist from Wall of Voodoo.

Coincidentally, Stan Ridgway and Stewart Copeland wrote a great original song for a movie soundtrack.

crater

#1058 Post by crater » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Pandemonium wrote:We got there late Friday night and spent the next morning getting drunk either riding in the parking lot shuttle buses that drove in circles around the huge mile long parking lot to drop people off the the festival gate or sitting waist-deep in this little stream in lawn chairs next to where we camped trying to stay cool. Unfortunately, we later discovered the run-off from hundreds of porta-potties outside the entrance gates a quarter mile up the hill dumped directly into this stream - we'd been lounging in piss water all morning!
This is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh :thumb:

Pandemonium

#1059 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:11 am

kv wrote:Always liked this Leonard Cohen cover...

Not really what you were asking for...
Man, I loved Concrete Blonde. A big plus was they were one of the few bands my wife also really liked when we were dating. I saw them a few times back in their original run in the late 80's-early 90's including what was going to be their (first) farewell show where they all came out for the encore in pajamas. We had our wedding band play "You're The Only One That Makes Me Cry" at our reception.

Best of all, after they reunited for a few years over a decade ago and would occasionally play The Observatory in Costa Mesa. We were on whatever "list" the venue keeps for people who book a dinner table in advance for shows (apparently it also listed *what* shows) and one day, I get this call from some woman asking if we'd like to be first to get preferred seating for an upcoming Concrete Blonde show and after a couple questions including how many times I'd seen the band previously, she reveals it's Johnette (the singer) thanking us for our support of the band and the venue (they apparently really liked the place) and were doing calls as a promotional favor for the place.

kv

#1060 Post by kv » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Ya same I saw them far too many times...just could never get enough of her voice

So there is prob a bunch more times we were at the same show

clickie

#1061 Post by clickie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:16 pm

Where should a Concrete Blonde noob like myself start with to enjoy their music, I mean what their essential must have record?

kv

#1062 Post by kv » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:27 pm

S/T, Free, Bloodletting skip the rest

They didn't age well it all sounds pretty dated...their breakthrough record was Bloodletting...but they were an LA band so panda and I followed since the 80's...she has a bomb voice....prob full albums on YouTube just search " concrete blonde full"

creep
Site Admin

#1063 Post by creep » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:29 pm

her recent work is some of her best

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBbmDU7M1xs ... e=ig_embed

kv

#1064 Post by kv » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Holy shit :lolol:

clickie

#1065 Post by clickie » Mon May 14, 2018 11:53 am

This was a cool song that came out right around the same time period Janes was tearing up the charts.

chaos

#1066 Post by chaos » Wed May 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Dave Grohl Daughter Steals The Show With Adele Cover | Rock Feed

Rock Feed
Published on May 13, 2018

Dave Grohl and his 9 year old daughter teamed up for a cover of Adele that brought down the house. Dave Grohl regularly has special moments during Foo Fighters shows but this was one for the books.

Artemis

#1067 Post by Artemis » Sat May 19, 2018 10:19 am

Happy Birthday to Grace Jones today! 70!!
Wish I had seen her back in her prime.

Matz

#1068 Post by Matz » Sat May 26, 2018 1:27 pm

one of the most talented bands to come out of Denmark, sadly long gone

clickie

#1069 Post by clickie » Thu May 31, 2018 7:26 pm

clickie

#1070 Post by clickie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:27 am

kv

#1071 Post by kv » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:16 pm

I love youtube

37 minutes and 30 seconds of you're welcome!

So jelly of that picture...fuck I wish I had it on wax

Juana

#1072 Post by Juana » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:01 am

That new Pusha T album

Juana

#1073 Post by Juana » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:03 am

Also this

kevin

#1074 Post by kevin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 am