NBA

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
kv

Re: NBA

#4526 Post by kv » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:18 pm

He was a beast even as an old man in Portland..I got to see him at Staples a few times ( depresses me knowing how much Laker Tix will be this year)..you guys had the bombest team in 99 ( I do feel for you...just a basket or two away from hanging a banner that year)

Stoked seeing his kid in the league...bet he is stoked his son has the opportunity to to be here young instead of in his 30's

Juana

#4527 Post by Juana » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 am

Sabonis was amazing.

As for the Raptors blowing up your core for one guy is a bad idea unless its PRIME 25 year old Shaq or something similar

clickie

#4528 Post by clickie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:10 am

Last I heard Kawhi wants to goto Philli...the Kawhi watch is on. Where is this young fellow gonna go?

kv

#4529 Post by kv » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:27 am

as much as I didn't want LeBron and as much as I hate Rondo it is nice to at least not be waiting for something to happen hoping somebody will come to us it's nice to just be set up to make the playoffs now

Juana

#4530 Post by Juana » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 am

clickie wrote:Last I heard Kawhi wants to goto Philli...the Kawhi watch is on. Where is this young fellow gonna go?
Hopefully a team not named the Lakers guts their roster for him

kv

#4531 Post by kv » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Amen

clickie

#4532 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:30 am

I want to see Kawhi end up a Laker. Those battles between LA and Golden State would be epic.

kv

#4533 Post by kv » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 am

As long as it's next year....and he is proven healthy... I'm all for it

clickie

#4534 Post by clickie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:45 am

kv wrote:He was a beast even as an old man in Portland..I got to see him at Staples a few times ( depresses me knowing how much Laker Tix will be this year)..you guys had the bombest team in 99 ( I do feel for you...just a basket or two away from hanging a banner that year)

Stoked seeing his kid in the league...bet he is stoked his son has the opportunity to to be here young instead of in his 30's
I was on the Portland bandwagon during that time period because of Pippen. That was a fun team. Scottie, Sabonis, mighty mouse, Steve Smith, Rasheed, Bonzi, Schrempf, the plastic man, Greg Anthony, Jermaine O'Neal. It still wasn't enough but they took a swing at it and came close.

Juana

#4535 Post by Juana » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 am

clickie wrote:I want to see Kawhi end up a Laker. Those battles between LA and Golden State would be epic.
I agree but I do not wanna give up Kuz and Ingram or at this point Hart for him, this squad is young but there is so much talent and we're not even mentioning Big Z 2.0 in Zubac who has been working with Cap and Dream to learn more post moves

Artemis

#4536 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Why can't Kawhi Leonard just stick it out with the Spurs for one more year?? I don't know all that's happened with him, but he seems like too much trouble to bother with, not worth it.

Juana

#4537 Post by Juana » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Artemis wrote:Why can't Kawhi Leonard just stick it out with the Spurs for one more year?? I don't know all that's happened with him, but he seems like too much trouble to bother with, not worth it.
He fired his agent and hired his uncle to be his agent and when the deal with Jordan brand went sour as they're not going to give him the same money they give Jeter or Westbrook they decided he needs to be in a bigger market

SR

#4538 Post by SR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:54 am

Weird deal...likely better for DeRozan in the long run. If I were Toronto, I'd be concerned.

Juana

#4539 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:34 am

SR wrote:Weird deal...likely better for DeRozan in the long run. If I were Toronto, I'd be concerned.
Yeah a very strange deal indeed but with all the chatter figured it was going to happen sooner rather than later

SR

#4540 Post by SR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 am

Ya know, with the time I spend following sports I hadn’t heard anything about his uncle taking over his management. Is that a good thing? I don’t know of any athletes who benefit from a biz/familial relationship. There are tons of failures though

Juana

#4541 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:07 pm

SR wrote:Ya know, with the time I spend following sports I hadn’t heard anything about his uncle taking over his management. Is that a good thing? I don’t know of any athletes who benefit from a biz/familial relationship. There are tons of failures though
Yeah he fired his agent last off season and then his uncle took over everything and it trying to steer him to either of the LA teams namely because of what happened when the Jordan brand shoe deal went sour basically playing in SA, Jordan brand wouldn't pony up money for him so he was trying to force his way to one of the LA teams as NY teams are even more of a dumpster fire than the LA teams

Artemis

#4542 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Juana, thanks for the info about KL. I looked it up and it seems that the issues have a lot to do with the uncle. And I agree with SR about questioning family involvement in managing one's career. I hope it works for KL and his uncle doesn't totally shaft him or rob him. :mad:

So, I am sad about DeMar DeRozan leaving. I get that the NBA is ultimately a business, but jeeze, this deal was like a punch in the gut. I have to say, my interest in basketball and the Raptors is thanks to DD. The fans in Toronto are really upset about this. Anyway, I think the Spurs got a better deal than we did. I hope this deal works out well for DD in the long run. Jakob Poeltl is a good young player- all the best to them! I'm going to start supporting the Spurs now too.

Who knows maybe Kawhi Leonard will grow to love Toronto the way DeMar did.

Juana

#4543 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Artemis wrote:Juana, thanks for the info about KL. I looked it up and it seems that the issues have a lot to do with the uncle. And I agree with SR about questioning family involvement in managing one's career. I hope it works for KL and his uncle doesn't totally shaft him or rob him. :mad:
Kawhi is a good dude, I mean hell he still drives a 1998 Chevy Tahoe he's wired differently and I do think his Uncle has his ear but sometimes that sort of thing happens, if Kawhi was concerned about money he would have signed that supermax the minute SA offered it to him. If he is healthy whether or not you liked DeMar Kawhi is an upgrade for them, and gives them a legit perimeter defender as well as a player that can score the ball. People forget he is a 2 time DPOY and a finals MVP.

kv

#4544 Post by kv » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Lakers 2019!

Tor straight up salary dumped DeRozan...shocking

Juana

#4545 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 pm

kv wrote:Lakers 2019!

Tor straight up salary dumped DeRozan...shocking
Definitely, even if Kawhi walks they got rid of a 28mill a year contract for a guy that relies on long 2s and was benched in the playoffs

kv

#4546 Post by kv » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:31 pm

I'm just so fucking relieved...

Got rid of Randle, Nance, Russell, Swaggy, Clarkson, Mozgov and Lou Will...only one that bummed me out was Randle...but we have LBJ so I get it

Love Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart staying to play with the new tough/gritty vets we grabbed...like that we held Zubbie for another year of growth...rookies look solid and ready (amazing what a few years in the NCAA do)....i understand them wanting LBJ and love we didn't give anything up for him (also love the Nance Clarkson trade..did LBJ plan that? If so brilliant)...solid A from me for not crumbling for George or Leonard deals

Juana

#4547 Post by Juana » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:19 am

Randle asked out as he knew his role was going to change which I get, but JC and Nance are going to continue to get playing time and hopefully thrive. I'm glad that that Ingram, Kuz, and Hart were not blow up. I think while Zo is recovering he needs to work on his shot 36% as a PG ain't gonna cut it unless he can do all the other shit that say a young Rondo did.

Either way I give the FO an A+ for this.

SR

#4548 Post by SR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 am

Yes, acquiring the best player in the world (imo, the best ever) is good work. It was no surprise; it serves LeBron's broader interests as well.

Kuz is going to be a killer in this league and will benefit by having James and Rondo a great deal. Though Ingram showed some improved skill last year (and leadership), he's still under delivered and I suspect he'll be at best an excellent bench player and not the next coming of Durant. Frankly, I think Ball's embarrassing play frustrated him as he took on the point admirably on many occasions. Lonzo is in deep shit...he can't/won't drive the lane because he can't shoot FT's. He can't shoot a J and he can't drive left and square up because of his unorthodox (and slow) shooting style. As soon as he crosses mid court, he passes off and hustles to the baseline. And his dad is still batshit crazy. Fast break and transition, he's excellent...insane court awareness and excellent passing control. I think Lance will thrive in LA with LeBron, Magic, and Jeannie as support pillars.

I am fucking delighted that the fakes are back in the mix. I have reservations about Houston...I don't think Harden is championship material and though CP3 is, his durability is unreliable....team defense is too. The Dubs are something else. At this point, I think their biggest challenge is themselves. Can they hold it together? This last championship was their most difficult internally, and though they annihilated the Cavs, I have full confidence in the Celtics. Healthy, with Brad, this team can do major damage. My new dream is to see another LA/Boston final and this time we finally take down the King. :nod: :flip: :rockon:

Juana

#4549 Post by Juana » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:06 am

I agree with most of that SR, that said I think Ingram is going to take a leap this season playing with Bronny Drama. 100% agree on Lonzo, his dad put way too much pressure on him. Lance, Rondo, and McGee will contribute and stay in line because of Earvin, despite everything else he has the respect of players in the league. And I can not speak for KV as over the years its become obvious we're not infact the same person lol but I think a Celtics / Lakers finals would be fucking delightful

SR

#4550 Post by SR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:57 am

Ingram's heart far impressed me over his talent last year....he's a baller. Good luck to him...seems like a good kid and I root for all of them. I think Randle was a big loss tbh....he, in this present mix. could have been lethal. Walton seemed to have a boner for him....Wagner is really promising and I always liked McGee....much more than most, not the brightest, but always supreme focus during his minutes and he comes up with that either exceptional play or maintains a steadying presence when the starters were resting.