Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Bandit72

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1901 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:16 am

Agreed. Thought it was brilliant. No idea why it's getting slated so much. Must be all these twats with their "It's not Harrison Ford!!111" head on. Shame Emilia Clarke kept her clothes on though.

Defo another one or two episodes to come.

nausearockpig

#1902 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am

Yeah it’s odd. Maybe it’s a timing issue with VIII and R1 and Avengers ?

Could be people got burned by R1? It WAS amazingly shit overall.. I think that A Star Wars Storys have got a lot of ground to make up for...

Poor EC... not sure a SW flick is appropes for EC nudies though...

Apparently there were reports of an actor in a Vader outfit on set at times. Perhaps to throw people off the scent? Or maybe he was cut by Ronnie? :lolol:

clickie

#1903 Post by clickie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm not a huge Tarantino fan but Once Upon a Time in Hollywood sure is shaping up to have one hell of an epic cast.
If I was to list my top three Tarantino films I'd go Reservoir Dogs tied with Jackie Brown, and then Hateful 8. Still haven't seen Django.

Artemis

#1904 Post by Artemis » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Looking forward to seeing this!

This movie is not a sequel to the other sequels...only the original 1978 version. John Carpenter is involved with this movie. Also, Nick Castle, the original Michael Myers.
I only saw Halloween and Halloween II.

nausearockpig

#1905 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:17 pm

Saw Game Night on the weekend. Funny shit.

creep
Site Admin

#1906 Post by creep » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:22 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Saw Game Night on the weekend. Funny shit.
yup. funny movie

Artemis

#1907 Post by Artemis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:20 pm

This doc looks really good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/movi ... ntary.html

Review: The Surreal, Heartbreaking Case of ‘Three Identical Strangers’

The title “Three Identical Strangers” is somewhat of a giveaway in a documentary that’s best watched knowing as little as possible about its specifics. So, tread (and read) lightly! Engrossing, and sometimes enraging, the movie tells of triplets who, after being adopted separately at birth, were reunited by happenstance. None of the men — or their families — knew about the others, which naturally led to questions and has inspired the director Tim Wardle to turn their mysterious history into a detective story in reverse, one that begins with the seeming denouement (the happy reunion) and then moves back and forth across time.

Older viewers may find themselves nodding along, remembering the triplets story as fragments emerge. In 1980, Robert Shafran, 19 at the time, arrived at Sullivan County Community College in New York for his freshman year and was surprised that everyone was so warmly welcoming. Students smilingly greeted him, clapping him on the back. Some girls kissed him, he remembers, and everyone called him Eddy. Mr. Shafran was in his dorm room when another student, Michael Domnitz, excitedly told him that he must be a twin. There was a hasty phone call, a long drive into the night and an emotional reunion with Eddy Galland, Mr. Domnitz’s friend and Mr. Shafran’s unsettling double.

Mr. Wardle brings you into this grabber of a story effortlessly with a lively, nimble mix of archival imagery, contemporary interviews and some unnecessary fictional re-creations. The story he tells grows exponentially more complicated with the emergence of another look-alike, David Kellman, and — just like that, these newly acquainted twins are now triplets. In a 1980 article in The New York Times about the men, one of their surprised mothers, Claire Kellman, said, “They talk the same, they laugh the same, they hold their cigarettes the same — it’s uncanny.” She also said that she had learned about the other brothers (after the story broke) from Louise Wise Services, the agency that had placed the babies.

The Times quoted a spokesman for Louise Wise, which specialized in Jewish adoptions, saying that the agency was “not at liberty to discuss the case.” But it had much to explain. First, though, Mr. Wardle tracks the fun stuff that happened after the brothers were reunited, in those giddy days when, as one of them puts it now, they were falling in love. In 1980, their story was as unclouded as it was irresistible. They were good looking and graced with curly halos and dazzling smiles that seemed bright enough to blot out every worry. The tabloids loved them. They even popped up with Madonna in “Desperately Seeking Susan,” leaning against a wall with mirrored grins and threads.

The revelations about the brothers, their similar habits and quirks, not only stoked the media firestorm but also led to discussions about genetics and the influence of environment. On “The Phil Donahue Show,” the brothers sauntered out in near lock step, again in matching outfits, and answered questions in unison. As the audience tittered appreciatively, they said that they all smoked Marlboros and claimed to share similar taste in women. There were ripples disturbing the uniform picture they were helping create — one brother had been implicated in a crime — but their resemblances were charming and funny if a bit eerie. Nature seemed to have won this round over nurture.

Nothing, though, would prove easy or obvious about their stories, which grow darker and more disturbing as “Three Identical Strangers” develops into a shocker. Puzzle piece by piece, interview by interview, Mr. Wardle fits together a grim story of hubristic doctors and their grotesquely unprincipled enablers who played with human lives in the name of science. It’s an ugly, familiar story as well as a historically specific one that has partly been told before by The New Yorker journalist Lawrence Wright (who appears here); in Lori Shinseki’s documentary “The Twinning Reaction”; and in “Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited,” by Elyse Schein and Paula Bernstein.

“Three Identical Strangers” is the latest chapter in a larger, sprawling chronicle of abuse that, in certain queasy moments, invokes memories of Josef Mengele and his twin experiments. Mr. Wardle relates that story smoothly and persuasively, but his telling sometimes provokes more questions than it answers. And there are instances in some of the fictional re-creations when he seems more invested in delivering an entertaining documentary than an informative one. During one stormy night dramatization, he deepens the shadows and cranks the suspense, embellishing material that — as this fine documentary makes clear — is already the stuff of fraught, memorable drama.

clickie

#1908 Post by clickie » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:33 am

What are some movies you want to watch but haven't for whatever reason. I want to see
Annihilation
Paris, Texas
Arrival
Green Room

I guess thats it for now

SR

#1909 Post by SR » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:27 am

I was one of the few who loved Arrival. I recently saw Lady Bird and absolutely loved it.

clickie

#1910 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 am

I'm gonna check that out, Lady Bird. It looks good.

clickie

#1911 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:45 am

I guess theres only one Blockbuster video store left standing. Kind of a shame those were good times.

clickie

#1912 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:52 am

My old Blockbuster where I live turned into a Costume store where you buy Halloween costumes year round.

SR

#1913 Post by SR » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 am

Been on a bit of a movie jag lately. I revisited Pirate Radio...it's not the best film ever made but I still love it. I watched Molly's Game last night, mainly because when Aaron Sorkin is on, there's no one better. It was his best since the Social Network.

clickie

#1914 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:31 am

You guys ever seen Sexy Beast? Thats a good movie if youre in the mood for gangster type stuff.

Pandemonium

#1915 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

This probably belongs in the "annoying you" thread but last week when it was blazing hot, my wife and I went to the movies to cool off and saw the latest Jurassic Park product. IMO, the worst movie of the franchise even though there's some good Dinosaur action, mostly in the first hour. Thing that bugged me was it seemed like the studio had a checklist of the best moments from the previous 4 movies and cynically recycled them one after the other in this one.

But what really made this an unpleasant afternoon was this middle aged Asian couple right in front of us who were playing with their phones non-stop through much of the movie. At some point, someone else went out and brought in an usher who stood nearby for about 5 minutes then left and they went right back into it playing some game with the fucking sound on pretty loud. So finally I go down and confront them and the guy is speaking zero English and clumsily drops his phone at my feet trying to wave me away from standing in front of them. I gave it a kick that sent it like a hocky puck about 5 rows down to the front seats. Asshole spent about 5 minutes finding his phone and then they left.

What is wrong with some people these days?

clickie

#1916 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Thats some funny shit the part where you kicked his phone like a hockey puck.

nausearockpig

#1917 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Hahahah. Did you shout “GOOOOOOOAAAAALLLL” as it flew down the aisles?

You fucking legend.

clickie

#1918 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 pm

I remember one time about 10 years ago I was at the movies and during the previews they would play a fake ringtone ringing on the movie screen to alert you as a reminder to turn your phone off. So some dude thought it was his phone ringing and checked every seat in the theater while we were trying to explain to this guy what was going on.

Pandemonium

#1919 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 pm

clickie wrote:What are some movies you want to watch but haven't for whatever reason. I want to see
Annihilation
Paris, Texas
Arrival
Green Room

I guess thats it for now
I saw Annihilation a few weeks ago when it came out on Blu-ray. A little over rated but there's some decent horror/monster bits scattered through it.

guysmiley

#1920 Post by guysmiley » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:23 pm

clickie wrote:I remember one time about 10 years ago I was at the movies and during the previews they would play a fake ringtone ringing on the movie screen to alert you as a reminder to turn your phone off. So some dude thought it was his phone ringing and checked every seat in the theater while we were trying to explain to this guy what was going on.
Meth is a hell of a drug I hear.

kv

#1921 Post by kv » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:25 am

guysmiley wrote:
clickie wrote:I remember one time about 10 years ago I was at the movies and during the previews they would play a fake ringtone ringing on the movie screen to alert you as a reminder to turn your phone off. So some dude thought it was his phone ringing and checked every seat in the theater while we were trying to explain to this guy what was going on.
Meth is a hell of a drug I hear.
One of the absolute worst...I can't imagine ever wanting to go the movies on it

Pandemonium

#1922 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am

kv wrote:
guysmiley wrote:Meth is a hell of a drug I hear.
One of the absolute worst...I can't imagine ever wanting to go the movies on it
My best friend back in the 80's would occasionally drop acid at concerts or movies, not telling me until usually a big "surprise" moment ... like when he started freaking out. I know I've related the story when we were at a concert before, it was Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul at The Country Club in Reseda. I had picked him up from his job (he was a customs house broker at the time) so he went in his business suit and it was really hot inside the venue. Mid-way through the show, I mentioned he was sweating like a pig and that it looked like his face was melting only to have him inform me that he had taken several hits and of course, started freaking out.

Same thing happened when we saw this art-house horror movie, A Company Of Wolves. This scene, he starts freaking out and I had to almost drag him out the theater exit.....

clickie

#1923 Post by clickie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Its nice to see those practical effects instead of CGI which is in most movies nowadays.

chaos

#1924 Post by chaos » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:28 am

Another trailer for Bohemian Rhapsody:

farrellgirl99

#1925 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:23 pm

i watched Phantom Thread recently. I loved it. Excellent acting and just the right amount of weird.