The Dead Musicians thread

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Bandit72

Re: The Dead Musicians thread

#201 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:49 pm

Such a shame. Personally, I only really remember Motörhead with Phil and Mikkey, but gave total respect for the original line up. I also read that that Mikkey Dee is now playing permantly with the Scorpions...that’s some change in style!

We’re all getting older....

chaos

#202 Post by chaos » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... are_btn_tw

Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies aged 46
Irish singer, whose band has sold more than 40m records, died suddenly in London, her publicist says

Guardian staff
Mon 15 Jan 2018 12.20 EST Last modified on Mon 15 Jan 2018 12.22 EST

The Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan has died in London at the age of 46, her publicist has confirmed.

A statement from her publicist said: “Irish and international singer Dolores O’Riordan has died suddenly in London today. She was 46 years old.

“The lead singer with the Irish band The Cranberries was in London for a short recording session. No further details are available at this time.

“Family members are devastated to hear the breaking news and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

The Cranberries sold more than 40m records over their career. Their most popular hits included Zombie and Linger.

More details soon...

crater

#203 Post by crater » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 am

I think I'm the only here who likes them
Babymetal touring guitarist Mikio ‘Ko-Gami’ Fujioka has died at age 36.

Mikio Fujioka, the Japanese musician best known as the resident guitar virtuoso in Babymetal's Kami Band, has died. He was 36. According to a statement from Fujioka's wife posted on the late musician's Twitter account, the guitarist died on January 5th while recovering from injuries he sustained in a fall from an observation deck — where he'd been stargazing — on December 30th.

Babymetal confirmed his passing in a Twitter post today, January 9th. "The 'Little' Guitar Kami of Babymetal's Kami Band has passed away in the metal galaxies," the pop-metal group wrote. "We hope that he is now with his guitar master Allan Holdsworth and enjoying an epic guitar session with him."

Born in 1981, in Hyogo, Japan, Mikio began his career in music as a guitarist and songwriter for Young Guitar magazine in the Aughts, penning and recording songs to help his fellow axemen perfect their craft. In 2013, he enlisted as a member of Babymetal's Kami Band, where he became known as Ko-Gami, which translates to "The Small God" in Japanese (a playful nod to Mikio's 5'2" height). In addition to performing with Babymetal, Fujioka lectured at a Japanese music college and authored several guitar textbooks.

Artemis

#204 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Another shit week in the music world.. :nyrexall:

RIP..

Jeremy Inkel 34, - Frontline Assenbly
Hugh Masekela 78, jazz musician, trumpeter, singer,
Mark E. Smith 60, The Fall
Mark Holland 69, former drummer of Judas Priest
Fredo Santana, 27- rapper

drifter

Craig MacGregor

#205 Post by drifter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:52 am

long time bassist for foghat, my first favorite band since way back in 1974
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_MacGregor

tvrec

#206 Post by tvrec » Fri May 11, 2018 6:58 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-44079462

With a heavy heart, I move this discussion over here. Scott Hutchison has been confirmed dead. At 36. Personally, this is a hard one for me. His music is incredibly emotive and really shone some hope in dark days I've been through. Shit, this is sad.

SR

#207 Post by SR » Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 am

Sorry, for real. It seems that this reaction is a thing with people who, how do I say..., don't strongly identify with "being" young anymore. I know I have and friends of mine have been struck with it. Partly because of what you said..... some music hits and helps us in impactful ways at dark times.

MicrowavedGerbil

#208 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Fri May 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Why hasn't perry been mentioned here? Ettymengitus took his soul hard... Rip bro

drifter

D. J. Fontana

#209 Post by drifter » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Elvis Presley Drummer D.J. Fontana passed at 87
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... 87-w521520

Artemis

#210 Post by Artemis » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:20 pm

RIP Nick Knox, 60

https://www.altpress.com/news/cramps-dr ... knox-dies/

Drummer Nick Knox, one of the pillars of cool in the legendary psychobilly band the Cramps, passed away today (June 15). He was 60.

Knox (whose real name was Nicholas Stephanoff) joined the NYC-via Akron, Ohio, outfit in 1977 alongside larger-than-life frontman Lux Interior, tough-chick guitarist Poison Ivy and spooky guitarist Bryan Gregory. Anybody who saw this era of the band knew that Knox’s jet-black hair and the sunglasses (at dark) framing his stoic face was another key of cool in the pioneering psycho/goth/rockabilly outfit’s chain.

From the period of 1977-1991, Knox toured with the band and appeared on some of the Cramps’ most crucial recordings, Songs The Lord Taught Us, Psychedelic Jungle and A Date With Elvis. Prior to joining the Cramps, he was a member of the legendary Cleveland proto-punk outfit the Electric Eels. The Cramps appeared on the cover of AP 28 back in 1986.

In 1991, Knox left the Cramps and the music scene, returning to Garfield Heights, Ohio, and keeping an extremely low profile. In 2013, Knox appeared on Terminal, an album by Cheese Borger And The Cleveland Steamers, playing drums on three tracks. His last live performance was in 2003 with another notorious Cle-punk ensemble, the Pagans, at an event called “Ohio’s Punk Past,” curated and promoted by the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. (Pagans’ guitarist Mike Metoff is Knox’s cousin. Metoff also had a brief stint in the Cramps under the name Ike Knox.) Recently, Knox returned to the Cleveland music scene as a “senior adviser” to Archie And The Bunkers, the self-proclaimed “hi-fi organ punk” garage-rock duo. Knox would occasionally DJ at Bunkers shows alongside Miriam Linna, whom he replaced in the Cramps.

Listeners unfamiliar with the Cramps’ classic work should start with the crucial compilations Off The Bone and Bad Music For Bad People. But if you want to see the real punks, you punk, here’s the band in one of their finest hours, from the 1980 movie URGH!, A Music War, throwing down “Tear It Up.” (Watch your face on the flying cymbal.) Our condolences go out to Knox’s family, friends and legion of fans.

Pandemonium

#211 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Artemis wrote:
Drummer Nick Knox, one of the pillars of cool in the legendary psychobilly band the Cramps, passed away today (June 15). He was 60.
He died the same age as Lux. That leaves Poison Ivy as the last surviving original member of The Cramps.

kv

#212 Post by kv » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Daaamn

crater

#213 Post by crater » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:44 am

Image :wavesad:

Matz

#214 Post by Matz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:12 am

RIP, what a monster

Pandemonium

#215 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:57 pm

RIP Steve Soto of OC punk bands Adolescents, Agent Orange and others. Died apparently in his sleep of natural causes at only 54.

kv

#216 Post by kv » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:46 am

Fuck!

Artemis

#217 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 am

R.I.P. Randy Rampage, 58

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/r_i_p_ ... gn=fbpwall

By Calum Slingerland
Published Aug 15, 2018

Randy Rampage — known best as a founding member of Canadian punk outfit D.O.A. and vocalist of thrash metal band Annihilator — has died. A Facebook post from the makers of Vancouver punk doc Bloodied But Unbowed confirmed Rampage's passing yesterday (August 14), though no cause of death has been revealed. He was 58.

Born Randall Desmond Archibald in 1960, Rampage co-founded D.O.A. in 1978, playing bass on the group's 1980 debut Something Better Change and 1981's sophomore LP Hardcore '81.

After being fired from D.O.A., Rampage joined Annihilator in 1987, lending his vocals to the thrash outfit's 1989 debut LP Alice in Hell. Rampage left the band shortly after, returning to the mic in 1999 to release Criteria for a Black Widow.

Rampage then rejoined D.O.A. for a second time in 2000, playing bass on the band's 2002 LP Win the Battle. He then left the group a second time after the album's release, only to return for his third stint with the group in 2006. Rampage played bass on the group's Bob Rock-produced 2008 LP Northern Avenger, and left the group again ahead of a 30th anniversary tour.

Rampage was also vocalist of Vancouver thrash outfit Stress Factor 9 and hard rock group Rampage.

SR

#218 Post by SR » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 am

Yeah, this one stings....covering, in tribute to, Carole King at the Kennedy Center....

clickie

#219 Post by clickie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 am

clickie

#220 Post by clickie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:49 am

I saw The Blues Brothers at the movie theater and there was a line around the building just to get in.

Artemis

#221 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am

Yeah, like SR said, this one stings a bit. Unfortunately, I never got to see Aretha Franklin in concert but her music has always been in my life. So today, Aug 16, we will remember both the King and the Queen. :nyrexall:

Though I'm not a religious person, I really like gospel.

This live recording is incredible. I would have loved to have experienced it.

kv

#222 Post by kv » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm

They don't make like that anymore

Artemis

#223 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:49 am

Not a musician but connected with David Bowie & Kate Bush.

R.I.P Lindsay Kemp, 80

R.I.P. Lindsay KEMP (1938-2018), English dancer, actor, teacher, mime artist, and choreographer. Kemp formed his own dance company in the early sixties and first attracted attention with an appearance at the Edinburgh Festival in 1968. He staged and performed in David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust concerts at London's Rainbow Theatre in August 1972, and, with Jack Birkett, appears in the promotional video for Bowie's single "John, I'm Only Dancing", directed by Mick Rock.

Kemp’s film roles include a supporting role in the Kate Bush short film The Line, the Cross & the Curve (1994), a dancer and cabaret performer in Derek Jarman’s Sebastiane (1976) and Jubilee (1977) respectively, a pantomime dame in Todd Haynes' Velvet Goldmine (1998) and the pub landlord Alder MacGregor in Anthony Shaffer's The Wicker Man (1973).

During the early 1970s, Kemp was a popular and inspirational teacher of dance and mime. David Bowie and Kate Bush were students of Kemp. Kate Bush later wrote the song Moving, which appeared on her debut album The Kick Inside, as a tribute to Kemp. Bush also contributed vocals to Zaine Griff's song Flowers, which also is a tribute to Kemp.

SR

#224 Post by SR » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:59 am

I listen/watch Bowie "by request" a great deal at the gym. He mentions going to mime ("MEME school")"school in it....very cool. And as an aside, I totally forgot about John, I'm Only Dancing until this thread....was one of my first fave songs of his when I was still single digits

Artemis

#225 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:36 pm

This is so awesome! I wish I could be in Detroit on Friday to see all those pink caddies.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/29/64287163 ... t=20180829
Pink Cadillacs Will Line Up For Aretha Franklin's Funeral

When Detroit celebrates the life of Aretha Franklin on Friday, there will be more than 100 pink Cadillacs lining the road in front of the church where her funeral will occur. It's a tribute to the Queen of Soul and one of her biggest, Grammy-winning hits.

"Freeway Of Love" is a joyous driving song. In its chorus, Franklin sings, "We're going riding on the freeway of love / In a pink Cadillac."

Crisette Ellis happens to own one such car, a big pink Escalade. Driving down Seven Mile Road in Detroit, she explains how she and her husband, a pastor at Greater Grace Temple, came up with the idea. They were inspired by how police line up their cars during the funerals of fallen officers.

"My husband said, 'Wouldn't it be awesome if we could have a sea of pink Cadillacs parked on Seven Mile Road to greet Ms. Aretha Franklin as she arrives?' " she says.

Ellis is an independent national sales director for Mary Kay Cosmetics — the company that rewards its top sellers with pink Caddys. When she decided to make the "Freeway of Love" tribute real, she appealed to others who might own a pink ride.

"They're coming from everywhere," Ellis says. "They are coming from as far as Texas; Omaha, Neb.; Florida; North Carolina; Maryland."

At last count there were 130 pink Cadillacs, Ellis says — including a few classic, big ones from the 1960s. The automobiles are expected to stretch for blocks in each direction in front of the church.

"So any cars, or any of the limousines, will literally come through a tunnel of pink Cadillacs," Ellis explains.

Late Monday night, there was a rehearsal underway for a musical tribute that will be held Thursday night to honor Franklin. Naturally, "Freeway Of Love" is on the set list.

Kern Brantley, who led the rehearsal, is a music director. He worked as a bass player and producer for Franklin and says there's a reason the song was such a hit — especially in the Motor City.

" 'Freeway of Love' is like an anthem for us Detroiters," he says. "[It] starts off with a Motown beat, and that's the pulse of the city."

The mostly black-and-white video for the song is a Detroit love letter, as well. There are scenes of auto assembly lines, the city skyline, the Motown Museum and local interstate signs.

So, Ellis says, lining up pink Cadillacs on the day of Franklin's funeral is the right thing to do. "This is a show of respect," she says.