Politics

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
SR

Politics

#1 Post by SR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:09 am

So here is a broader thread on the issue...international specific, comparative, local, US, etc. I found this map in the NYT for those in the US. We have about 100 days here in the US to decide some congressional seats....gerrymandering, interference, new faces that upsetting the bases...a lot going on and a lot at stake.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... .24/104177

Really eye opening to see that SF was mor supportive of Trump in 16 than Los Angeles.

Juana

Re: Politics

#2 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:04 am

SR wrote:So here is a broader thread on the issue...international specific, comparative, local, US, etc. I found this map in the NYT for those in the US. We have about 100 days here in the US to decide some congressional seats....gerrymandering, interference, new faces that upsetting the bases...a lot going on and a lot at stake.

Really eye opening to see that SF was mor supportive of Trump in 16 than Los Angeles.
Its not so surprising when you really think about what most of the bay area is into, especially what is happening in parts of the bay that are not SF and the gentrification

SR

#3 Post by SR » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:21 am

Juana wrote:
SR wrote:So here is a broader thread on the issue...international specific, comparative, local, US, etc. I found this map in the NYT for those in the US. We have about 100 days here in the US to decide some congressional seats....gerrymandering, interference, new faces that upsetting the bases...a lot going on and a lot at stake.

Its not so surprising when you really think about what most of the bay area is into, especially what is happening in parts of the bay that are not SF and the gentrification
Really? I was thinking it was due to the DNC manipulation and the 180 revolt of the acolytes in Bernie's church

clickie

#4 Post by clickie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 am

This is crazy, I don't even know how it's considered legal. Police telling a journalist they aren't allowed to walk in certain places.

Hype

#5 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:26 am

Why are you posting right-wing propaganda bullshit?

clickie

#6 Post by clickie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 am

I posted it to hurt your feelings Hype

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:08 am

:lol: Well alright. But it's just that that girl's "journalism" is really a front for far-right button-pushing and sensationalist nonsense. She's the non-religious equivalent of the Westerboro Baptist Church:
In February 2018, Southern, along with Brittany Pettibone and Caolan Robertson, distributed flyers in the English town of Luton that said, "Allah is a Gay God".[10]

In March 2018, Southern, Pettibone, and Pettibone's boyfriend, Martin Sellner, were all denied entry to the United Kingdom.[43] Southern was also questioned under the Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000.[10] Her denial of entry was due to her intentions during her March visit[11] and on the same grounds as Pettibone and Sellner.[44]

She said she was "permanently banned" from the UK.[12] However, it was later confirmed she was instead refused entry for specific purposes only, and reports of her being banned were false.[13]

SR

#8 Post by SR » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 am

Might be of interest to our friends to the north. Saudi Arabia has revoked academic scholarships to some 16k students in Canada after being called out on humanitarian offenses.
https://www.newsweek.com/saudi-arabia-o ... 22979bf1c7

Hype

#9 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:20 am

I've seen some scepticism about the numbers from profs across the country. The total number of foreign students in 2016 was only 414,946. China and India account for 50% of that. Saudi's total numbers dropped to 9,000 in 2016, so it's hard to believe there are currently 20,000. Still, for thousands of students, it's brutal.

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 am

I feel badly for the Saudi students whose lives have been turned upside down by their precious prince's impulsive behavior and over the top reaction to Chrystia Freeland's appeal to release the jailed activists.

Good interview on CBC radio with Dr Brian Hodges, executive VP of education at University Health Network.

The first part of the program is about the Saudi medical students and what the impact of their loss will be. There's about 1000 of them across Canada.
An interesting thing I learned is that 2/3 of the doctors in SA are trained in Canada! :O

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the- ... -1.4778786

Hype

#11 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 am

Artemis wrote:I feel badly for the Saudi students whose lives have been turned upside down by their precious prince's impulsive behavior and over the top reaction to Chrystia Freeland's appeal to release the jailed activists.

Good interview on CBC radio with Dr Brian Hodges, executive VP of education at University Health Network.

The first part of the program is about the Saudi medical students and what the impact of their loss will be. There's about 1000 of them across Canada.
An interesting thing I learned is that 2/3 of the doctors in SA are trained in Canada! :O

Yeah, it's bad. It's been interesting watching the Can-Con Trump-a-like supporters of the Ontario premier become very confused about this. Many of them are saying things like "I voted Ford, but..." And you just want to say "... well, yeah... you probably shouldn't have been thinking in partisan terms about everything in the first place..."

But apparently Ontario Proud is still chock full of Trudeau hate. :lol: :confused:

Artemis

#12 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Hype wrote:
Artemis wrote:I feel badly for the Saudi students whose lives have been turned upside down by their precious prince's impulsive behavior and over the top reaction to Chrystia Freeland's appeal to release the jailed activists.

Yeah, it's bad. It's been interesting watching the Can-Con Trump-a-like supporters of the Ontario premier become very confused about this. Many of them are saying things like "I voted Ford, but..." And you just want to say "... well, yeah... you probably shouldn't have been thinking in partisan terms about everything in the first place..."

But apparently Ontario Proud is still chock full of Trudeau hate. :lol: :confused:
The Ontario Proud people are distracted right now by Dougie's buck-a-beer plan due to start on the 27th. But yeah, they're criticizing Trudeau of course, and bringing up every Liberal failing ever. Speaking of Doug, I haven't heard him comment on this Saudi situation.

I'm glad Trudeau didn't back down and apologize to the Saudi prince. In the long run, I think this will hurt SA more than Canada.

SR

#13 Post by SR » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:24 am

Today is the day The Boston Globe has called for editorial responses to trump's continued assault on the media. The WSJ has declined stating that the prez has as much right to freedom of speech as anyone else. Seems odd to view it that way...these are responses to a charge, not the opportunity or freedom to make it.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-ne ... spartanntp

Hype

#14 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 am

SR wrote:Today is the day The Boston Globe has called for editorial responses to trump's continued assault on the media. The WSJ has declined stating that the prez has as much right to freedom of speech as anyone else. Seems odd to view it that way...these are responses to a charge, not the opportunity or freedom to make it.
That statement from the WSJ is designed to obfuscate. The media offering editorials on an issue involving the President is literally the opposite of a threat to free speech (it is, literally, the embodiment of free speech). The right to free speech is a right to not have the government threaten or penalize you for speaking freely.

It's really frightening how easily the Trump White House has been able to just say literally the opposite of everything and not get clearly called out for it by everyone. Accusations of collusion are met with "no collusion. Actually, collusion, but it was my opponents."

This is what stupid children do when they're accused of doing something wrong. It's mind-boggling that it's a successful political strategy.

SR

#15 Post by SR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 am

Hype wrote:
SR wrote:Today is the day The Boston Globe has called for editorial responses to trump's continued assault on the media. The WSJ has declined stating that the prez has as much right to freedom of speech as anyone else. Seems odd to view it that way...these are responses to a charge, not the opportunity or freedom to make it.
That statement from the WSJ is designed to obfuscate. The media offering editorials on an issue involving the President is literally the opposite of a threat to free speech (it is, literally, the embodiment of free speech). The right to free speech is a right to not have the government threaten or penalize you for speaking freely.

It's really frightening how easily the Trump White House has been able to just say literally the opposite of everything and not get clearly called out for it by everyone. Accusations of collusion are met with "no collusion. Actually, collusion, but it was my opponents."

This is what stupid children do when they're accused of doing something wrong. It's mind-boggling that it's a successful political strategy.
So much is mind boggling....the mid terms aren't too far off and underneath all of it, things appear to be coming to a pivot time. The negotiaions between the Special Councel and trump camp are either gpoing to stipulate terms for a deposition or the SC will retreat to determine whether or not to issue a subpoena. The Manafort verdict is coming shortly too.

Artemis

#16 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:08 am

I think all media-world wide- should not post or write anything about Trump for 24hrs. That would drive that orange piece of shit crazy that nobody is talking about him.

SR

#17 Post by SR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 am

There is no question the 24/7 trump coverage is part of the fuel in this nightmare....and lining the newsrooms coffers.

SR

#18 Post by SR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:40 am

New fun fact....3 (Gates, Buffet, and Bezos) people in the US hold more wealth than the bottom 50% (according to Bernie)…up to 64% according to Move On.

chaos

#19 Post by chaos » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:45 am

:worship:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 60c6569b09

Revoke my security clearance, too, Mr. President

August 16 at 2:44 PM
William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, was commander of the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014. He oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Dear Mr. President:

Former CIA director John Brennan, whose security clearance you revoked on Wednesday, is one of the finest public servants I have ever known. Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him.

Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency.

Like most Americans, I had hoped that when you became president, you would rise to the occasion and become the leader this great nation needs.

A good leader tries to embody the best qualities of his or her organization. A good leader sets the example for others to follow. A good leader always puts the welfare of others before himself or herself.

Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation.

If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken. The criticism will continue until you become the leader we prayed you would be.

SR

#20 Post by SR » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:40 am

Agreed :worship: , and some 75 more have aligned themselves with this.

SR

#21 Post by SR » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:42 am

What a difference 5 Presidents make...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nat ... 5e3cc2638a

Juana

#22 Post by Juana » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:27 am

SR wrote:What a difference 5 Presidents make...

That was a great read. Amazing how different he is than his "fraternity"

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:49 am

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:37 pm

SR wrote:What a difference 5 Presidents make...

Since Ford, other former presidents, and sometimes their spouses, routinely earn hundreds of thousands of dollars per speech.

“I don’t see anything wrong with it; I don’t blame other people for doing it,” Carter says over dinner. “It's just never had been my ambition to be rich.”
With book income and the $210,700 annual pension all former presidents receive, the Carters live comfortably.
Yeah, I could live "comfortably" if I was a millionaire too. :eyes:

SR

#25 Post by SR » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 am

He lives a very modest life notwithstanding his comparably high income to the average American. My best guess is you are scoffing at his likely low level of stress about his financial condition.