Embrace the Darkness

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Embrace the Darkness

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:07 pm

It’s been nearly a decade since this song was recorded, and it has yet to leak (everything does eventually). This place has been dead lately so let’s needlessly speculate about how we could finally hear this thing. Maybe an “insider” who lurks here would say fuck it and let it loose. Maybe, since the band seems to be on better terms, they agree to release it.

I dont care if it sucks. I just wanna hear it :balls:

intertwoven

Re: Embrace the Darkness

#2 Post by intertwoven » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:37 pm

I'll bet it'd be like, "Wow, this would be a pretty cool song if it was an instrumental."

But yeah, they should just throw it on iTunes or whatever and make a few bucks off it. Can't be worse than "Another Soulmate".

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:58 pm

You sure you want to hear it?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:48 pm

intertwoven wrote:I'll bet it'd be like, "Wow, this would be a pretty cool song if it was an instrumental."

But yeah, they should just throw it on iTunes or whatever and make a few bucks off it. Can't be worse than "Another Soulmate".
Which by the way...what the fuck happened to that song? Didn't they pull it very suddenly? I mean, granted it sucked, but that hasn't stopped them otherwise.

Mescal

#5 Post by Mescal » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:01 am

creep wrote:You sure you want to hear it?

:lolol:

Good point. So: no

Mescal

#6 Post by Mescal » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:01 am

I'll listen to I like em big instead

panicparty

#7 Post by panicparty » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:44 am

Hokahey wrote:
intertwoven wrote:I'll bet it'd be like, "Wow, this would be a pretty cool song if it was an instrumental."

Which by the way...what the fuck happened to that song? Didn't they pull it very suddenly? I mean, granted it sucked, but that hasn't stopped them otherwise.
I don't think they really wanted Another Soulmate released - iirc it came out as they launched a short tour with a couple of other bands who also dropped new tracks at the same time - I assumed it was a contractual things as part of the tour - that they produced something new to get publicity for the tour, and once the obligation was met, they pulled it. iirc they only played it live once, with Duff, it didn't even get played on the tour it was released to promote. I guess it was the only thing they had mixed and ready to go so rather than hit the studio to do any actual work it was a case of "this'll do" when they had to turn in something for release.

Similar to the Embrace the Darkness sessions I suppose - once it became clear that new music wasn't going to happen but they were committed to giving Trent two tracks for the tour sampler, they dashed off a couple of old numbers instead - "that'll have to do"

farrellgirl99

#8 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:51 pm

wow i forgot another soulmate existed. now i am listening to it again and cringing.

but i would still want to hear embrace the darkness bc of the trent reznor connection

panicparty

#9 Post by panicparty » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:04 am

Does Embrace the Darkness even exist as a recording to the extent that there would be something to release?

Given that they abandoned it, there might not be anything fully formed on tape?

I'm sure Eric probably addressed this with Sonny, but I can't face listening to 14 hours of him moaning about Perry and how he (Eric) is the only keeper of the flame for the spirit of Jane's again to find out.

nausearockpig

#10 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Pretty sure he said it was finished but if any of the writers vetos it, it’s not released. Maybe?

crater

#11 Post by crater » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:33 pm

Didn't Eric say that he used the music that was for Embrace the Darkness on one of his songs that he put out on Life.Time?

Or was that a different Jane's song that was never released? Or am I imagining things? :noclue:

kv

#12 Post by kv » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Come on people....Perry isn't gonna release new music where he has to pay Eric :noclue:

dannyboy

#13 Post by dannyboy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:57 am

kv wrote:Come on people....Perry isn't gonna release new music where he has to pay Eric :noclue:
Did Eric get any credit for Kettle Whistle (he wrote the lyrics) and Suffersome?

Stickyfingers

#14 Post by Stickyfingers » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:35 am

dannyboy wrote:
kv wrote:Come on people....Perry isn't gonna release new music where he has to pay Eric :noclue:
Did Eric get any credit for Kettle Whistle (he wrote the lyrics) and Suffersome?
Perry wrote all lyrics for JA.

I don't see the point with the 12,5% story.

Eric, Dave and Steve signed, nobody pointed a gun, the band got together for albums and tours under that agreement, it means it was fair enough.

Jane's fair songwriting credit should be Perry/Eric.
Eric met Perry in 1985, they started to play songs together, and Janes had 90% of the songs ready before Dave and Steve joined the band.

But we know Eric pure-at-heart don't care too much about this legal stuff, while Perry...we know Perry has jewish blood.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#15 Post by Hokahey » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Stickyfingers wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
We know Perry has jewish blood.
GTFO with this bullshit.

Seriously.

panicparty

#16 Post by panicparty » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:08 am

Hokahey wrote:
Stickyfingers wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
We know Perry has jewish blood.
GTFO with this bullshit.

Seriously.
What he said^

Seriously.

nausearockpig

#17 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 am

Stickyfingers wrote:
, while Perry...we know Perry has jewish blood.
that's some fucked up shit. fuck that cunt.

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:14 am

Jesus christ... an antisemitic Jane's Addiction fan? That's as bad as all these aging alternative rock fans becoming Republicans. :neutral:

SR

#19 Post by SR » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:21 am

:lol: , yeahs

Noonesshocking

#20 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:17 pm

panicparty wrote:Does Embrace the Darkness even exist as a recording to the extent that there would be something to release?

Given that they abandoned it, there might not be anything fully formed on tape?

I'm sure Eric probably addressed this with Sonny, but I can't face listening to 14 hours of him moaning about Perry and how he (Eric) is the only keeper of the flame for the spirit of Jane's again to find out.
Eric and Perry separately confirmed it was finished.
crater wrote:Didn't Eric say that he used the music that was for Embrace the Darkness on one of his songs that he put out on Life.Time?

Or was that a different Jane's song that was never released? Or am I imagining things? :noclue:
He used the bassline from the other reznor session song, “i’ll protect you”, on “beneath the ground”. Stephen’s demo drums may have been used too.

eye

#21 Post by eye » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:33 am

Listening to Dave's radio show, he talked about "circle of the noose" the incredibly average last song he did with the chilli Peppers. Dave's guitar tech Dan mention Embrace the darkness and they agreed that it should leak.. Dan even had it there and then on his phone. Dave was like .. maybe just play a little part of it. Then someone changed the subject.

Maybe someone hit Dan up on twitter and ask him to leak it!? i'm super curious how it sounds. It's the real Janes Addiction and all that...

Didn't Avery say it was like a show tune or something.. but the outro was really great (sounded like Janes)

bman

#22 Post by bman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:41 am

I tweeted at Dan asking him to release a little snippet. He said it wasn't his place to release it. I said, 'Hopefully someday" and he replied Probably. So we'll see. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:59 pm

eye wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:33 am

Didn't Avery say it was like a show tune or something.. but the outro was really great (sounded like Janes)
He said what Perry initially brought to them was like a show tune. But because it was so weird, that's why he wanted to work with it and write music for it.

Much the same way Underground started on Perry's laptop and got the full band treatment, that's what they did with Embrace the Darkness.